PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Two Fers

test

longtimefan
03-31-2018, 10:07 PM
In the mid-1980s, Motown issued a series of single CDs each of which had two complete albums. I am looking for a list of those CDs that featured albums by the Supremes, DRATS, and Diana Ross. As example, one contained the WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO and the I HEAR A SYMPHONY LPs on one disc.

Can anyone direct me to a listing of those CDs?

p.s. I know that several years later in about 2000, other “two fers” were released in Britain in slipcases with booklets. Those are NOT the only that I am interested in.
Thanks in advance.

mysterysinger
03-31-2018, 10:56 PM
They can all be seen here on my Flickr site [[there was one more scheduled but unreleased which was MCD-08159-We Remember Sam Cooke/At The Copa - Supremes [NR]

The whole series is here and listed in the notes at the top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/albums/72157637231731375

longtimefan
03-31-2018, 11:19 PM
Mysterysinger,

Thank you SO, SO very much. You have saved me tons of time.

This is the best part of SDF!!!

daviddesper
03-31-2018, 11:46 PM
I have a number of these. My question would be how valuable are they now?

mysterysinger
04-01-2018, 04:29 AM

The question is, which ones have you got? Most can be picked up cheaply but odd ones attract more of a premium these days.

woodward
04-01-2018, 10:14 AM
The question is, which ones have you got? Most can be picked up cheaply but odd ones attract more of a premium these days.

This thread was very enlightening. In all my eBay searching, etc. over the years I must admit I have never seen any of these for sale neither have I seen any at record shows or in record stores that sold CDs. I am familiar with the ones from the 2001 era, however, I have only ever obtained one for my collection, the Four Tops & Second album. They are relatively scarce also.

Are many other members possessing these in their collections? If so cherish them. They are simply not easy to locate.

reese
04-01-2018, 10:25 AM
This thread was very enlightening. In all my eBay searching, etc. over the years I must admit I have never seen any of these for sale neither have I seen any at record shows or in record stores that sold CDs. I am familiar with the ones from the 2001 era, however, I have only ever obtained one for my collection, the Four Tops & Second album. They are relatively scarce also.

Are many other members possessing these in their collections? If so cherish them. They are simply not easy to locate.

I had all of those by the Diana and the Supremes, except for the Supremes/Stevie Wonder combo, as the Supremes' Xmas album was eventually released on its own. I also had those by the Vandellas, the Marvelettes, and Marvin and Tammi. I got rid of them when Motown started issuing them on individual cds, only to buy them again when they were recently released again as 2fers.

Now I wish I had bought those by the Miracles. I always liked Smokey, but I didn't buy any of the Miracles' studio albums until fairly recently. And of course by then they were either unavailable or really expensive.

sansradio
04-01-2018, 10:34 AM
I dropped 30 U.S. clams on “Third Album/Maybe Tomorrow” two years ago.

thanxal
04-01-2018, 01:33 PM

I’ve seen these sell, and even picked up a few myself, on eBay between $5-10 IF you are patient. I’ve seen people post some of the rarer ones for upwards of $100 but no one buys them. I saw a repeated auction that someone started one of the Four Tops for $50 but eventually they sold it for $10.

gman
04-01-2018, 03:51 PM
I think they were deleted in favor of the single LP discs....which also included CW&P, Sam Cooke LP, Talk of the Town...I believe the only 2 that did not get CD releases either in 2 for 1 or single format were Funny Girl and GIT....anybody know any other tidbits? I think one of the producers commented on the strange pairing of Liverpool w/ TCB and it was explained that TCB was very long, and Liverpool was the only LP short enough to fit in its entirety

reese
04-01-2018, 03:54 PM
I think they were deleted in favor of the single LP discs....which also included CW&P, Sam Cooke LP, Talk of the Town...I believe the only 2 that did not get CD releases either in 2 for 1 or single format were Funny Girl and GIT....anybody know any other tidbits? I think one of the producers commented on the strange pairing of Liverpool w/ TCB and it was explained that TCB was very long, and Liverpool was the only LP short enough to fit in its entirety

I believe George Solomon of Motown posted here that some of the strange couplings were due to his having to get out the cds with very little time, and it was either get them out that way or not at all.