PDA

View Full Version : The Gaye family wins

test

soulster
03-21-2018, 06:59 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/court-sides-marvin-gaye-family-blurred-lines-fight-against-thicke-n858846

It goes without saying that this will be automatically appealed, but this ruling isn't good for creative musicians everywhere. What if something you just released sounds too much like something else? That said, I do agree with this particular ruling.

midnightman
03-21-2018, 07:05 PM
^ How many appeals are there gonna be???

I think this was the second appeal, right?

I remember Stevie defending Pharrell after this broke.

luke
03-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Very pleased for the Gaye family. The truth is the light...yes how many times can people appeal? This had been going on for over 3 years!

marv2
03-22-2018, 01:25 AM
Congratulations to the Gaye Family. I said this several years ago, whenever I heard "Blurred Lines" I immediately thought of Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up".

The 50 percent interest in ongoing royalties from the song the Gaye's were awarded should more than make up the difference between the original $7 million they were awarded and the $ 5.3 million they'll receive from this latest judgement.

luke
03-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Didn’t i read the Gayes are going to get 90% of future royalties?

marv2
03-23-2018, 11:24 AM

I believe the article said 50% of future royalties, but I will check again. Some say this is bad for artists. I say that it will make them work to be more original and not just sample classic recordings. Recycling of sounds.

marv2
03-23-2018, 11:29 AM
This is what it says in the last sentence of the article:

The Gaye family also received 50 percent interest in ongoing royalties from the song.

When Robin Thicke filed his preemptive lawsuit against the Gaye Family in case they tried to sue him, I knew , that he knew what was up! That did not help his case at all. When he threw Pharrell Williams under the bus claiming that it was Williams that wrote most of the song because Thicke was too high to contribute much, I knew their case was in trouble. Right on to the Judges, lawyers and especially Marvin III, Frankie and Nona Gaye!

midnightman
03-23-2018, 11:57 AM
You know, ALL of this could've been avoided had Robin Thicke not filed the preemptive lawsuit. THAT'S what screwed them up. You don't threaten someone pursuing legal papers against you by suing them FIRST! Marvin III, Nona and Frankie played their cards right when Thicke did that bullsh*t.

Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars won't dare do that because they know better. Robin thought he was more important than he was.

Fun fact though: Got to Give It Up was released as a single on March 15, 1977. Robin was born JUST FIVE DAYS BEFORE.

midnightman
03-23-2018, 11:59 AM

You mean when they first won the suit? No they always said they would get 50% of future royalties [[I think anyway)... thing is Robin has already paid the Gaye family with songs that directly sampled Marvin so why would Blurred Lines be any different?

Least Happy sounded like someone Pharrell could come up with but he straight jacked Marvin with Blurred Lines lol

The "new black" know he was wrong... lol

Guy
03-23-2018, 12:30 PM
They should have just acknowledged Gaye's obvious contribution and settled right away. Thicke's career is probably over now. Pharrell has been exposed as a beatmaker who cannot read or write music. Gaye's family has had to endure all this legal drama unnecessarily. No one wins.

luke
03-23-2018, 12:58 PM
And now the lawyers dont think they should have to pay legal costs for Gaye family even though they wanted them if they had won!

marv2
03-23-2018, 01:55 PM
You know, ALL of this could've been avoided had Robin Thicke not filed the preemptive lawsuit. THAT'S what screwed them up. You don't threaten someone pursuing legal papers against you by suing them FIRST! Marvin III, Nona and Frankie played their cards right when Thicke did that bullsh*t.

Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars won't dare do that because they know better. Robin thought he was more important than he was.

Fun fact though: Got to Give It Up was released as a single on March 15, 1977. Robin was born JUST FIVE DAYS BEFORE.

At the time Robin Thicke pulled that stuff with the preemptive lawsuit, the Gaye Family had not done anything legal. It was after. It does not take too much wondering as to why someone would do that to you unless they know they are truly guilty of something.

I also knew that about Thicke's birthday and the release date of Got to Give it Up. Many also know that Robin Thicke was a big fan of Marvin Gaye's music before all of this went down.

marv2
03-23-2018, 01:58 PM
You mean when they first won the suit? No they always said they would get 50% of future royalties [[I think anyway)... thing is Robin has already paid the Gaye family with songs that directly sampled Marvin so why would Blurred Lines be any different?

Least Happy sounded like someone Pharrell could come up with but he straight jacked Marvin with Blurred Lines lol

The "new black" know he was wrong... lol

This case just confirms for me that this latest generation of "music artists" are nowhere as talented, creative or inventive as the artists I grew up listening too. Many cannot play a single instrument or read a note of music. They are all about the money and the music has suffered because of that attitude.

marv2
03-23-2018, 01:59 PM
They should have just acknowledged Gaye's obvious contribution and settled right away. Thicke's career is probably over now. Pharrell has been exposed as a beatmaker who cannot read or write music. Gaye's family has had to endure all this legal drama unnecessarily. No one wins.

Exactly! Now I am wondering how did Pharrell come up with the song "Happy"?

marv2
03-23-2018, 02:00 PM
And now the lawyers dont think they should have to pay legal costs for Gaye family even though they wanted them if they had won!

Their legal expenses should be covered as a part of the settlement.

jobucats
03-23-2018, 02:27 PM
This case just confirms for me that this latest generation of "music artists" are nowhere as talented, creative or inventive as the artists I grew up listening too. Many cannot play a single instrument or read a note of music. They are all about the money and the music has suffered because of that attitude.
You are so right, Marv. I am a musician [[degreed) and also am blessed with a pretty good ear as to being able to play many things just intuitively from listening to it. A pretty popular software program [[lots of pros use it) that I use has so many "samples" and loops available that practically anyone can edit them together to make a catchy song. A kid from church begged me to listen to one of his creations. It was just pasted together clips that he found, and it was actually very catchy. He no more knew anything about music than the man in the moon. As I compose music, I am always thinking in the back of my head, "Now, have I heard this somewhere else? Is it really mine?" This can be a writer/composer's nightmare. In the case of "Blurred Lines," it was NO DOUBT that it was a rip off of Marvin's song. I don't care if there was a ever so slight rhythmic pattern that was different. I don't care if there might a been a slight variation in a chord progression that was different. It was a blatant rip off.

arr&bee
03-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Good for marvin's family.

luke
03-23-2018, 02:51 PM
They should be but lawyers are protesting it now!

marv2
03-23-2018, 04:01 PM
You are so right, Marv. I am a musician [[degreed) and also am blessed with a pretty good ear as to being able to play many things just intuitively from listening to it. A pretty popular software program [[lots of pros use it) that I use has so many "samples" and loops available that practically anyone can edit them together to make a catchy song. A kid from church begged me to listen to one of his creations. It was just pasted together clips that he found, and it was actually very catchy. He no more knew anything about music than the man in the moon. As I compose music, I am always thinking in the back of my head, "Now, have I heard this somewhere else? Is it really mine?" This can be a writer/composer's nightmare. In the case of "Blurred Lines," it was NO DOUBT that it was a rip off of Marvin's song. I don't care if there was a ever so slight rhythmic pattern that was different. I don't care if there might a been a slight variation in a chord progression that was different. It was a blatant rip off.

Thanks Jobucats, you may or may not be a millionaire music artist, but I have more respect for you because you are a true, a real musician! [[special shout out to the Funk Brothers!). I just cannot stand this manufactured computer generated "music". Pharrell and Robin knew what they were doing. Robin even was preparing for if they got "caught". They got caught! I hope others out there will learn from this case.

midnightman
03-23-2018, 05:39 PM

The judge is gonna tell them either pay 'em or be jailed... just messy. All Marvin III, Nona and Frankie wanted was for their father's music to be compensated. The lawyers keep dragging it on. I don't understand how anyone can be team Thicke/Pharrell at this point.

bradsupremes
03-23-2018, 06:33 PM
I’m in the minority here, but I don’t think “Blurred Lines” sounds ANYTHING like “Got To Give It Up.” I’m talking about the song, not the production. Yes, the production of “Blurred Lines” is a direct copy of “Got To Give It Up,” but this isn’t about the production. This is about the song - the melody. You made an arrangement for “Blurred Lines” in a slower tempo, jazz style or hard metal, would any of you think it was “Got To Give It Up?”

If you were to hum both songs, do they sound anything alike?

marv2
03-23-2018, 06:43 PM
I’m in the minority here, but I don’t think “Blurred Lines” sounds ANYTHING like “Got To Give It Up.” I’m talking about the song, not the production. Yes, the production of “Blurred Lines” is a direct copy of “Got To Give It Up,” but this isn’t about the production. This is about the song - the melody. You made an arrangement for “Blurred Lines” in a slower tempo, jazz style or hard metal, would any of you think it was “Got To Give It Up?”

If you were to hum both songs, do they sound anything alike?

They sound very much alike Brad. We danced and partied to Marvin Gaye's "I Got to Give it Up" a LOT for nearly year while I was still in high school. The moment I heard "Blurred Lines" I thought it sounded like Marvin's song. I also had assumed they had gotten permission to sample it.

luke
03-23-2018, 07:31 PM
Exactly. The proof is in the hearing. I’f they did this and this but they did what they did and it sounds the same

bradsupremes
03-23-2018, 07:41 PM
They sound very much alike Brad. We danced and partied to Marvin Gaye's "I Got to Give it Up" a LOT for nearly year while I was still in high school. The moment I heard "Blurred Lines" I thought it sounded like Marvin's song. I also had assumed they had gotten permission to sample it.

Of course the productions sound alike because they copied the "Got To Give It Up" production. I think what so many of you are confusing is the production and arrangements as the song. The grooves and beats are similar, but that's not the song. You can't copyright beats and grooves. I'm talking about the actual melody and structure. Take out the instruments, the beats, etc. Just leave the voice singing MELODY - the song. The melodies and structure are totally different thus it's not the same song.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqe22d5huM

PeaceNHarmony
03-23-2018, 07:49 PM
They did not deserve to win. BL is not a similar song to GTGIU. The intro is similar and that's it. The Gaye family are living on lawsuits instead of making contributions to society. No innocent Black person will be spared a blue bullet, no student will be saved from being slaughtered in their classroom, no minimum-wage overnight working woman will be saved from sexual assault ... This enriches the Gaye family and does nothing else than that.

marv2
03-23-2018, 08:17 PM
They did not deserve to win. BL is not a similar song to GTGIU. The intro is similar and that's it. The Gaye family are living on lawsuits instead of making contributions to society. No innocent Black person will be spared a blue bullet, no student will be saved from being slaughtered in their classroom, no minimum-wage overnight working woman will be saved from sexual assault ... This enriches the Gaye family and does nothing else than that.

So what?! Donald Trump did not deserve to win! His family is leaving off of the millions they've inherited and are not doing anything to enrich the lives of anyone but themselves! I am happy for the Gaye Family for standing up and against thievery of their father's work! I only wished they could have received more money than what they are being awarded! They are not responsible for the ills of this old World.

bradsupremes
03-23-2018, 09:12 PM
So what?! Donald Trump did not deserve to win! His family is leaving off of the millions they've inherited and are not doing anything to enrich the lives of anyone but themselves! I am happy for the Gaye Family for standing up and against thievery of their father's work! I only wished they could have received more money than what they are being awarded! They are not responsible for the ills of the old World.

Nothing was stolen but a beat and groove which cannot be copyrighted. You are clearly not hearing anything past the cowbell and groove. You are not listening to the actual melody, chords, and structure which are the song.

luke
03-23-2018, 10:26 PM
I doubt that everyone who sided with the Gayes were ignorant of music composition. They did win.

bradsupremes
03-23-2018, 11:24 PM
I doubt that everyone who sided with the Gayes were ignorant of music composition. They did win.

The people on the jury were not a panel of musical experts nor have knowledge in musical composition.

Listen to this. Take away the cowbells, bass, instruments. Listen to the melody. Does it sound anything like "Got To Give It Up?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLFMP0tWsU

marybrewster
03-24-2018, 02:09 AM
I'm with Peace and Brad on this: I hear nothing similar between BL and GTGIU.

Of course I'm no expert, but I was quick to hear "Please Mr. Postman" as described in another thread.

midnightman
03-24-2018, 02:33 AM
IIRC, the industry itself blocked prosecutors and the defense from using actual sound clips from Got to Give It Up and Blurred Lines to make a final analysis.

marv2
03-24-2018, 11:03 AM
I'm with Peace and Brad on this: I hear nothing similar between BL and GTGIU.

Of course I'm no expert, but I was quick to hear "Please Mr. Postman" as described in another thread.

The first thing I and most people said who were around with Marvin's "Got to Give It Up" popular and on the radio when we heard "Blurred Lines" it sounds like "Got to Give It Up"! It was the first thing that came to mind. Once again, Congratulations to the Marvin Gaye's family!

marv2
03-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Oh another thing. "I Got to Give It Up" came out 41 years ago and just about everyone over 45-50 still remembers that record. With "Blurred Lines", it will be the lawsuit that some may remember, but not the song itself.

RanRan79
03-24-2018, 02:05 PM
The people on the jury were not a panel of musical experts nor have knowledge in musical composition.

Listen to this. Take away the cowbells, bass, instruments. Listen to the melody. Does it sound anything like "Got To Give It Up?"

Nope, which is why this ruling is dumb as hell. And in the world of sampling, if they wanted to do "Got to Give It Up", why not just sample the actual song itself? This is going to open the door for every single song- past or present, still under copyright- to wage suit against any other song that came after it that even remotely sounds like it. Rip off is what Ray Parker Jr did to Huey Lewis. "Ghostbusters" is what it sounds like when you steal from "I Want a New Drug". That is not at all what happened with "Blurred Lines". Maybe the folks behind "Monster Mash" should sue HDH for ripping off the exact cling of the chains in the beginning of "Monster Mash" for the chain clinks in "Nowhere to Run". I think they'd have a case.:rolleyes:

RanRan79
03-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Oh another thing. "I Got to Give It Up" came out 41 years ago and just about everyone over 45-50 still remembers that record. With "Blurred Lines", it will be the lawsuit that some may remember, but not the song itself.

Nobody will ever be able to take away from the legacy of "Got to Give It Up", a party staple and a huge hit during it's time of release. As for "Blurred Lines", it was the best selling single of 2013 with more than 7 million copies sold in an era when most people don't bother purchasing single songs anymore. It was number one in over 25 countries. "Blurred Lines" will be remembered for a lot more than this lawsuit. Just like nobody remembers "Ghostbusters" and thinks about that lawsuit either. Lets not get carried away.

marv2
03-24-2018, 02:16 PM
Nope, which is why this ruling is dumb as hell. And in the world of sampling, if they wanted to do "Got to Give It Up", why not just sample the actual song itself? This is going to open the door for every single song- past or present, still under copyright- to wage suit against any other song that came after it that even remotely sounds like it. Rip off is what Ray Parker Jr did to Huey Lewis. "Ghostbusters" is what it sounds like when you steal from "I Want a New Drug". That is not at all what happened with "Blurred Lines". Maybe the folks behind "Monster Mash" should sue HDH for ripping off the exact cling of the chains in the beginning of "Monster Mash" for the chain clinks in "Nowhere to Run". I think they'd have a case.:rolleyes:

Fine. Let the Monster Mash folks just try it. I'll have Dee Dee and them sue the Monster Mash people for ripping off "Mash Potato Time"!

RanRan79
03-24-2018, 02:26 PM
Fine. Let the Monster Mash folks just try it. I'll have Dee Dee and them sue the Monster Mash people for ripping off "Mash Potato Time"!

Doubt there would be a case since "Monster Mash" was a parody and would probably fall under parody law, protecting it from litigation.

marv2
03-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Doubt there would be a case since "Monster Mash" was a parody and would probably fall under parody law, protecting it from litigation.

I don't care. I will make her want to do it if they tried to sue HDH for anything.

They don't mention the term "Mashed Potatos", but they did borrow heavily from "Mashed Potato Time's" rhythm track.

PeaceNHarmony
03-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Remember Low Rawls' 'Groovy People'? I keep hearing 'Greedy People' ! Does anyone know if any members of the Gaye family have a job?

jobeterob
03-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Looks like this is years from a resolution

They talk of an appeal to the Court of Appeals and this kind of substantive disagreement set out in the judgments means this could end up in the United States Supreme Court in a few years.

I question what the value of any future royalties really is unless this song is used in advertising; does anyone pay for anything anymore?

PeaceNHarmony
03-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Looks like this is years from a resolution

They talk of an appeal to the Court of Appeals and this kind of substantive disagreement set out in the judgments means this could end up in the United States Supreme Court in a few years.

I question what the value of any future royalties really is unless this song is used in advertising; does anyone pay for anything anymore?
Interesting question. I THINK the original BL had a high # of physical sales; streaming $ can add up when streams are in the tens-of-millions, as BL achieved [[far in advance, btw, of GTGIU ...). Pharrell & Thicke should have [[I think) shut the Gaye family down with 1% publishing and been done with it. Maybe they tried.

jobeterob
03-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Interesting question. I THINK the original BL had a high # of physical sales; streaming $ can add up when streams are in the tens-of-millions, as BL achieved [[far in advance, btw, of GTGIU ...). Pharrell & Thicke should have [[I think) shut the Gaye family down with 1% publishing and been done with it. Maybe they tried.

The legal fees will be astronomical even just to this point

marv2
03-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Remember Low Rawls' 'Groovy People'? I keep hearing 'Greedy People' ! Does anyone know if any members of the Gaye family have a job?

I don't know. I do know Marvin Gaye III is on kidney dialysis.

marv2
03-24-2018, 05:33 PM

It looks like they've been shut down. Is Robin Thicke even recording anymore? I don't really care, I'm just asking.

marv2
03-24-2018, 05:43 PM

Well Robin Thicke tried. He filed some sort of preemptive legal action against the Gaye family just in case they ever got the idea of suing him!

I wonder what Mr. Gordy thinks of all of this. This is a part of his family involved in all of this after all.

midnightman
03-24-2018, 06:53 PM
I still argue the preemptive lawsuit led to all of this. Had some portion of royalties of the song went to Marvin's family, this could've went away... both sides are shady imho

We'll see what happens.

marv2
03-24-2018, 07:09 PM
I still argue the preemptive lawsuit led to all of this. Had some portion of royalties of the song went to Marvin's family, this could've went away... both sides are shady imho

We'll see what happens.

I don't see where the Gaye Family was shady at all. They were very upfront about their unhappiness and their intent to take legal action.

bradsupremes
03-24-2018, 07:17 PM
The first thing I and most people said who were around with Marvin's "Got to Give It Up" popular and on the radio when we heard "Blurred Lines" it sounds like "Got to Give It Up"! It was the first thing that came to mind. Once again, Congratulations to the Marvin Gaye's family!

Marv, did you listen to the piano version of “Blurred Lines” that I posted? Did you hear anything remotely similar in the melody that resembles the melody of “Got To Give It Up?”

TomatoTom123
03-24-2018, 09:02 PM
Well now, I find this quite interesting!

I remember when "Blurred Lines" first came out and it was a massive hit... now I do love the song even though it's a bit dodgy [[understatement)... but it does kinda sound like "Got To Give It Up", to me anyway. My brother and father pointed it out to me and I agreed, but none of us have any musical talent/knowledge, so we were purely going on what they sounded like, not if they are actually musically similar.

When my dad played it to a friend of his who is a music teacher, he said they sounded absolutely nothing alike! The melodies [[or whatever, heehee) were totally different or something like that.

I don't know if them sounding alike is enough for a legal case, but then again they do really sound alike, so wtf do I know? :rolleyes:

TomatoTom123
03-24-2018, 09:08 PM
By the way, Robin Thicke has done some good music besides "Blurred Lines", check out "Magic" and "Lost Without You"...

And, marv, I believe he is still recording. A little fact for ya... he and his wife separated in 2014 and the album he released that year, Paula, was dedicated to her... echoes of Here, My Dear... :rolleyes:

midnightman
03-24-2018, 10:40 PM
Robin always wanted to be Marvin... :rolleyes:

marv2
03-24-2018, 10:46 PM

True dat! He even recorded a song that sounds very much like "Trouble Man".

marv2
03-24-2018, 10:47 PM
Marv, did you listen to the piano version of “Blurred Lines” that I posted? Did you hear anything remotely similar in the melody that resembles the melody of “Got To Give It Up?”

No I haven't. I will Brad thanks.

PeaceNHarmony
03-25-2018, 08:53 AM
Then again I've heard it said that the Gaye family should pay Thicke & Pharrell for raising interest in a decades-forgotten, lesser MG song ...

marv2
03-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Marvin Gaye Estate Wins “Blurred Lines” Appeal, Pharrell & Robin Thicke Need To Cut The Check!

http://hiphopwired.com/747712/marvin-gaye-estate-wins-blurred-lines-appeal-pharrell-robin-thicke-need-to-cut-the-check/

marv2
03-25-2018, 10:01 AM
Then again I've heard it said that the Gaye family should pay Thicke & Pharrell for raising interest in a decades-forgotten, lesser MG song ...

I don't know where you're from but here in America, Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" was one of his greatest hits, not a lesser song. It was a Billboard number one Pop hit and and number one R&B hit. The album it was pulled from was "Live at the London Palladium" and it went to number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 album chart and number 1 on Billboard's R&B album chart! It was huge it. It is now a classic.

marv2
03-25-2018, 10:02 AM
The album also became one of his most commercially successful albums during his tenure at Motown.

marv2
03-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Just to refresh your memory....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rIsGZ_ouA4

marv2
03-25-2018, 10:14 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLFMP0tWsU

This does not even make sense. You're talking about stripping the song completely down and removing the parts that not only sounded very similar to Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" , they were also the parts that caused "Blurred Lines" to sell! If this was issued as a commercial recording, I can promise you it would not sell 5 copies. Nice try though.

marv2
03-25-2018, 10:15 AM
The 2013 hit single "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams and song co-writer T.I. was the subject of a lawsuit for allegedly copying "Got to Give It Up". Thicke originally told the public both he and Pharrell were in the recording studio and suddenly Thicke told Pharrell "Damn, we should make something like that, something with that groove" and they wrote the song in less than an hour. However, Thicke later claimed this was all a lie and the song was entirely written by Pharrell.[4] Thicke stated "I was high on Vicodin and alcohol when I showed up at the studio."[5] On March 10, 2015, a federal jury found "Blurred Lines" infringed on "Got to Give It Up” and awarded nearly $7.4 million to Gaye's children. Jurors found against Pharrell and Thicke, but held harmless the record company and T.I - Wikipedia

midnightman
03-25-2018, 12:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVvuLX_Xso

Say what?

Now you KNOW I gotta defend my boy! How is that song a forgotten, lesser known song in his catalog? That was one of the biggest hits of his career! LOL

MIKEW-UK
03-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Charlie Wilson has seen it all and is careful who he performs with..... I think is excellent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MLOLMTnQ4

marv2
03-25-2018, 01:02 PM
Charlie Wilson has seen it all and is careful who he performs with..... I think is excellent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MLOLMTnQ4

Charlie Wilson is one of our very, very few Classic artist that remains or should I say allowed to remain relevant in America today. It is all bizarre to me when I think about all that talent that gets shut out now.

MIKEW-UK
03-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Marv,

Truest words you ever said. Couldn't agree more

Mike

bradsupremes
03-25-2018, 01:45 PM
This does not even make sense. You're talking about stripping the song completely down and removing the parts that not only sounded very similar to Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" , they were also the parts that caused "Blurred Lines" to sell! If this was issued as a commercial recording, I can promise you it would not sell 5 copies. Nice try though.

This is what I’m talking about, Marv. The song is the melody and chord structure. That is what the piano is playing - the melody and chords. That is the song and that’s what is disputed. Is the melody that the piano is playing the same melody of “Got To Give It Up?” A song is not the groove and arrangement. You are confusing arrangements as the song. It’s not. It’s a sound and you can’t copyright a sound.

marv2
03-25-2018, 02:26 PM
This is what I’m talking about, Marv. The song is the melody and chord structure. That is what the piano is playing - the melody and chords. That is the song and that’s what is disputed. Is the melody that the piano is playing the same melody of “Got To Give It Up?” A song is not the groove and arrangement. You are confusing arrangements as the song. It’s not. It’s a sound and you can’t copyright a sound.

I will have to hear the melody and chord structure for "Got to Give it Up" in order to make a real comparison then.

RanRan79
03-25-2018, 06:16 PM
I don't know where you're from but here in America, Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" was one of his greatest hits, not a lesser song. It was a Billboard number one Pop hit and and number one R&B hit. The album it was pulled from was "Live at the London Palladium" and it went to number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 album chart and number 1 on Billboard's R&B album chart! It was huge it. It is now a classic.

You got that right. "Got to Give It Up" is not only a party staple, but it's constantly used in television shows and movies of all genres. That song is legend. Some folks need to stop with the bullshit.

marv2
03-25-2018, 06:48 PM
You got that right. "Got to Give It Up" is not only a party staple, but it's constantly used in television shows and movies of all genres. That song is legend. Some folks need to stop with the bullshit.

I agree with you 1000%! Cut the B.S. and all will be right with the World!

PeaceNHarmony
03-25-2018, 08:07 PM
If they ever end up with any money I'll revise my opinion if they donate it ALL to Black Lives Matter or another similar group. Otherwise ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysKhbaLyIFw

TomatoTom123
03-25-2018, 08:31 PM

I agree with you 1000%! Cut the B.S. and all will be right with the World!

Ah I love this place...

Encyclopedia Mack
04-02-2018, 11:47 AM
I agree. But things get complicated with these things. The thing is the family needs to iron things out on their own. Marvin's music rights can be settled if the family can agree. I listened to Marin's BBC special and one of Marvin's producers said that Marvin completed an album after Midnight Love that is ready to be released. The producer said the album probably will not see the light of day because the families are fighting each other and are going through several lawsuits. So this madness has nothing to do with Robin. They need to handle this on their own.

marv2
04-02-2018, 02:50 PM
I agree. But things get complicated with these things. The thing is the family needs to iron things out on their own. Marvin's music rights can be settled if the family can agree. I listened to Marin's BBC special and one of Marvin's producers said that Marvin completed an album after Midnight Love that is ready to be released. The producer said the album probably will not see the light of day because the families are fighting each other and are going through several lawsuits. So this madness has nothing to do with Robin. They need to handle this on their own.

I thought "Sanctified Lady" was recorded after "Midnight Love".

midnightman
04-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Marvin had a current BBC special? And if the families are fighting, it's Janis, Marvin III, Nona and Frankie vs. Zeola and Jeanne.

jobeterob
04-02-2018, 04:24 PM
So typical; if there’s any chance of any money for nothing, the families swarm, fight to the death, give the money to the lawyers and come out with nothing

Didn’t Mary say she finally got tired of fighting and paying lawyers?

Bad stuff

marv2
04-02-2018, 05:52 PM
So typical; if there’s any chance of any money for nothing, the families swarm, fight to the death, give the money to the lawyers and come out with nothing

Didn’t Mary say she finally got tired of fighting and paying lawyers?

Bad stuff

So typical of whom? Money for nothing? Could you explain yourself?

midnightman
04-02-2018, 07:06 PM
I still remember a few years ago, Zeola argued that they wouldn't receive any of the money and they were [[dead) broke or whatever. But if I know anything about family is that some wanna leech off of you. Marvin's sisters definitely rub me the wrong way. Zeola mostly from what she said about that fateful day on April 1, 1984.

Jeanne & Zeola may also be the reason why there's a hold up on that documentary and mini-series that are being planned about Marvin's life [[projects that got the okay of MG's publishing company and Motown).

jobeterob
04-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Generally your heirs are spouses and children and siblings would come below them and parents

Did Marvin have a will!

How did siblings get mixed up in this?

midnightman
04-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Marvin didn't leave behind a will. They had to force his 17-year-old son to be executor of his estate because he didn't write one. But I imagine if he had a will, none of his siblings would've been included and his mother was dying at the time. And when the estate was formed, Jeanne, Zeola and Frankie Sr. weren't included. I imagine they included just Marvin III, Nona [[when she was grown) and Lil Frankie [[when he got grown) because that's his estate basically. His siblings shouldn't jump in anyway. They got no business to ask for any of that change.

By the way, all of Marvin's grandkids [[the ones known anyway) are grown [[not sure about Lil Frankie, who looks JUST LIKE MARVIN btw, but I don't think he has kids).

antceleb12
04-02-2018, 10:21 PM
If you don't hear the similarity between BL and GTGIU, you are in the minority. It doesn't take a degree or years of musical experience to hear that the resemblance is beyond striking and hardly coincidental.

Yes, many songs borrow the same chord structure and harmonies, but with BL, its the sum of all of its parts that add up to a Marvin Gaye-rip off.

At best, BL is a lazy spin-off of a Marvin Gaye classic. At its heart, its a lazy attempt at a vintage soul revival with horribly distasteful lyrics that overtly disregards sexual consent, as sung by a washed-up creep who's probably taken one too many Viagra.

Personal opinions aside, Thicke and Pharrell - for the music biz veterans that they are - were stupid not to have learned anything from the mess that was the George Harrison v. Bright Tunes [["My Sweet Lord" v. "He's So Fine") fiasco.

marv2
04-02-2018, 10:37 PM
If you don't hear the similarity between BL and GTGIU, you are in the minority. It doesn't take a degree or years of musical experience to hear that the resemblance is beyond striking and hardly coincidental.

Yes, many songs borrow the same chord structure and harmonies, but with BL, its the sum of all of its parts that add up to a Marvin Gaye-rip off.

At best, BL is a lazy spin-off of a Marvin Gaye classic. At its heart, its a lazy attempt at a vintage soul revival with horribly distasteful lyrics that overtly disregards sexual consent, as sung by a washed-up creep who's probably taken one too many Viagra.

Personal opinions aside, Thicke and Pharrell - for the music biz veterans that they are - were stupid not to have learned anything from the mess that was the George Harrison v. Bright Tunes [["My Sweet Lord" v. "He's So Fine") fiasco.

All I will say to that is Uh huh, YEP! LOL!!!! Write that check Pharrell and Robin the Boy Wonder...... LOL!

midnightman
04-02-2018, 11:06 PM

I agree with you, ant [[by the way long time no see).

You know what's so funny about the whole thing, Robin Thicke basically threw Pharrell under the bus during that whole thing, he tried to pin the whole thing on Pharrell, which exposes him too because it shows all he can do is write lyrics [[and by the way he wrote that song, it was horrible anyway; that song was an anthem for the douchebags).

We know "Happy" ain't all original either. And I know Stevie tried to stick up for him, but God dammit if "Frontin'" didn't sound like "I Can't Help It"...

Encyclopedia Mack
04-02-2018, 11:39 PM
Marvin had a current BBC special? And if the families are fighting, it's Janis, Marvin III, Nona and Frankie vs. Zeola and Jeanne.

Not current. They replay it on the BBC website often.

jobeterob
04-03-2018, 12:20 AM
If there is no Will, the heirs are the spouse [and there can be more than one] and the children; but if one of the children predeceased Marvin, their children would take the predeceased child’s share.

That’s what intestate legislation [no will] nearly always provides.

Siblings are never involved unless there is no spouse and no children

So something else is being argued here

Who were the writers and producers of Got To Give It Up? They will be in on this.

I suspect the only real money coming in is from the use of the songs in commercials and movies - because they aren’t selling much anymore

marv2
04-03-2018, 12:42 AM
If there is no Will, the heirs are the spouse [and there can be more than one] and the children; but if one of the children predeceased Marvin, their children would take the predeceased child’s share.

Who were the writers and producers of Got To Give It Up? They will be in on this.

I suspect the only real money coming in is from the use of the songs in commercials and movies - because they aren’t selling much anymore

I don't know where you got your information , but thank goodness "Blurred Lines" made a
lot of money!

Blurred Lines the total profits made were US$16.67 million [[A$21.3 million).

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/how-much-money-did-robin-thicke-and-pharrell-williams-blurred-lines-make/news-story/140eb67c91ebd6d430733ff681d02a9a

midnightman
04-03-2018, 01:54 AM

Marvin was the sole writer. Art Stewart is credited as the producer. But Marvin due to having EP powers on his London Palladium album [[as well as being a producer of the live album) still gets royalty cuts from producing even now.

GTGIU was in several soundtracks over the years. Shoot, in the future, it could be used for commercials. God knows how many times Let's Get It On has been used in the past. Every Easter week, the Reeses commercial featuring LGIO continues to air to this day.

Blurred Lines was a multi-million dollar song.

marybrewster
04-03-2018, 07:57 AM

And Marvin always wanted to be Martha. Or Mary. Or Diana. ;)

midnightman
04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
And Marvin always wanted to be Martha. Or Mary. Or Diana. ;)

LOL you got jokes. :D

jobeterob
04-03-2018, 01:50 PM
LOL you got jokes. :D

Not sure how much of a joke this is anymore, as things get revealed.

If there is some money flowing down the pipe, you would think that the family would have some interest in resolving things between themselves - so they get some of it while they are all alive.

Some of this just makes no sense.

RanRan79
04-03-2018, 02:09 PM
His siblings shouldn't jump in anyway. They got no business to ask for any of that change.

I agree that this fight- whether I actually agree with the fight or not- is the business of the estate, and it seems like the estate would be Marvin's descendants, not his siblings. But I wouldn't say the siblings have no right to ask for anything. If Marvin were my brother [[or my sister) I'd like to think I would get broke off a little something, especially if it were a large amount.

RanRan79
04-03-2018, 02:12 PM

If there is some money flowing down the pipe, you would think that the family would have some interest in resolving things between themselves - so they get some of it while they are all alive.

That's the sad thing about a lot of these situations. And I'm not even talking strictly rich and famous. I see this played out in families that have no riches at all. The money becomes more important than the relationships. I like to think that I'd tell my family to take the money and stick it up their asses rather than me spend time fighting or begging for a cut. So many folks place an importance on money. As my grandmother would say, when you die you can't take it with you. So what's the point?

midnightman
04-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Not current. They replay it on the BBC website often.

You mean that one from a few years ago? I know of the Stubborn Kinda Fellow one [[as well as the 1994 documentary that aired on the BBC)...

midnightman
04-03-2018, 02:41 PM

Well I think there's still some bitterness because, remember, Zeola Gaye released her memoirs and basically called Janis trash and that's a reason Marvin's kids no longer communicate with her and the rest of the Gay/Gaye family, I imagine. That's not something that can be easily forgiven.

Encyclopedia Mack
04-03-2018, 03:18 PM
You mean that one from a few years ago? I know of the Stubborn Kinda Fellow one [[as well as the 1994 documentary that aired on the BBC)...
I believe that was it. It was broken up into 4-5 parts. That's all I'm saying is it looks hypocrite for the family. No disrespect. But don't whoop and holler about your father's/husband music with Blurred Lines. But then they can't get together amongst each other to preserve Marvin's legacy. They have been going at this for almost 4 decades. Who do we go to about that?

marv2
04-03-2018, 05:11 PM
I agree that this fight- whether I actually agree with the fight or not- is the business of the estate, and it seems like the estate would be Marvin's descendants, not his siblings. But I wouldn't say the siblings have no right to ask for anything. If Marvin were my brother [[or my sister) I'd like to think I would get broke off a little something, especially if it were a large amount.

I do know that Marvin Gaye very much loved his siblings, especially Sweetie aka Zeola. I had the opportunity to see his brother Frankie perform after Marvin had passed. Frankie could have been Marvin's twin. His experiences in Vietnam were Marvin's inspiration for the album "What's Going On?".

marv2
04-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Well I think there's still some bitterness because, remember, Zeola Gaye released her memoirs and basically called Janis trash and that's a reason Marvin's kids no longer communicate with her and the rest of the Gay/Gaye family, I imagine. That's not something that can be easily forgiven.

Janis was what Zeola Gaye said she was. It was the truth and i don't have problem with it.

midnightman
04-03-2018, 07:34 PM
I believe that was it. It was broken up into 4-5 parts. That's all I'm saying is it looks hypocrite for the family. No disrespect. But don't whoop and holler about your father's/husband music with Blurred Lines. But then they can't get together amongst each other to preserve Marvin's legacy. They have been going at this for almost 4 decades. Who do we go to about that?

It is quite messy.

marv2
04-03-2018, 07:38 PM

Maybe Berry Gordy could step in there. He is after all a relative. He's Marvin III's uncle and Marvin Gaye's former brother in law.

Roberta75
04-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Maybe Berry Gordy could step in there. He is after all a relative. He's Marvin III's uncle and Marvin Gaye's former brother in law.

Thats just bullcrap. The things that you make up. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Mr Gordy is 88 and isnt interested in getting into and Gaye sibling family fightin.

RanRan79
04-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Thats just bullcrap. The things that you make up. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Mr Gordy is 88 and isnt interested in getting into and Gaye sibling family fightin.

What's made up? Berry Gordy is Marvin III's uncle. Marv suggested Gordy might step in, not that Gordy had stepped in. And I don't think it's a bad idea if Gordy cares to do it.

Roberta75
04-04-2018, 10:10 AM
What's made up? Berry Gordy is Marvin III's uncle. Marv suggested Gordy might step in, not that Gordy had stepped in. And I don't think it's a bad idea if Gordy cares to do it.

IMO Bery Gordy aint getting involved in no Gaye sibling family drama imo.

midnightman
04-04-2018, 11:32 AM
I have to agree with Roberta on this: Berry is NOT getting involved in any squabble.

RanRan79
04-04-2018, 02:36 PM
He probably won't. But I don't think it's such a bad idea if he did.

jobeterob
04-05-2018, 12:07 AM
A sad truth in the Motown story is that them that’s got shall get; and Berry and the Gordys have it all

And there’s another side and it not pretty to look at or hear about; they live a different way from the Berry crowd

It’s not always their fault but they sometimes have not helped themselves

And Berry and Smokey and Lionel and Stevie and Diana stay away from it and that’s why not every request for help is acknowledged by them

I would probably make the same choices