PDA

View Full Version : Have You Noticed...

test

midnightman
03-04-2018, 07:23 PM
In like every documentary that focuses on a Motown act [[namely Marvin and Stevie), they usually go "this act joins a label of stars".

Like when Marvin joined [[January of 1961) or Stevie [[I forget the month but it was '61 as well), Motown wasn't even close to the all-star label it eventually became so it always bothered me when they would mention it like that.

Like Motown didn't even become an instant phenomenon when they joined, it was still more of a local attraction. I mean I get that Motown was the biggest thing to break in Detroit since Joe Louis but it's like the way they tell of its early years, they forget to correct that Motown had to build itself up from the ground up.

Technically, Marvin would've been considered one of the label's first group of star acts after Mary Wells, the Marvelettes and the Miracles. Stevie's was more gradual after 1963 but you get the picture.

Each act build that label. I just hate that it's told that Motown was already well established when they joined.

Maybe it's just me. Not trying to belittle Motown at all, it was just something I always wanted to know [[also Unsung was dead wrong for getting that group-we-all-know's timeline of its singles discography...smh).

Just my two cents.

mysterysinger
03-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Have you noticed .... that there's a "d" missing from the thread title?

Your appraisal doesn't seem unfair so what is it exactly that you "always wanted to know"?

Are we limiting it to Marvin & Stevie? I think the description of joining a label of stars could apply to many acts joining Motown such as Gladys Knight, Isley Brothers, Jackson 5 etc.How many documentaries refer to Marvin & Stevie joining a label of stars anyway?

midnightman
03-04-2018, 11:27 PM
^ No, not JUST them, but those are the ones I was thinking of. There was two more acts of course [[The Tempts and... that OTHER group).

I just noticed in those documentaries with the ones who were "Motown originals" like MG and Stevie, they will mention that.

I don't halfway understand your post though, you think this is a bad question? Lol just wondering.

TomatoTom123
03-06-2018, 12:40 PM
I haven't watched enough Motown documentaries to answer midnight... maybe it's time to take this obsession to the next level... TV... lol

midnightman
03-06-2018, 01:52 PM
I haven't watched enough Motown documentaries to answer midnight... maybe it's time to take this obsession to the next level... TV... lol

Lol

Yeah I've been a Motown stan since kindergarten so any documentary that was on Motown I watched. Mainly from the BBC because you know American documentaries don't do much on music but when they do, they repeat what the BBC already did. :p

vgalindo
03-06-2018, 03:47 PM
It could be just the way someone would interpret it. They were joining a label of stars! They just weren't big stars yet.

midnightman
03-06-2018, 05:48 PM
It could be just the way someone would interpret it. They were joining a label of stars! They just weren't big stars yet.

Hahaha I didn't even think of it but you may be right. :)