PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - 'Live', and "At The Copa'

test

PeaceNHarmony
02-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Wouldn't it be great to have these on CD? :rolleyes:

thanxal
02-28-2018, 11:46 AM
Yes. Especially since the Mono and Stereo versions of Live were different. That would make a great Expanded Edition.

BayouMotownMan
02-28-2018, 01:31 PM
Yes. Especially since the Mono and Stereo versions of Live were different. That would make a great Expanded Edition.

The live lp was on iTunes briefly but was removed. The Copa show was better. Martha was in good voice and Lois exercised her comedic talent

thanxal
02-28-2018, 01:40 PM
The live lp was on iTunes briefly but was removed. The Copa show was better. Martha was in good voice and Lois exercised her comedic talent
I caught the Live album on iTunes and complained about it. Someone had uploaded a scratchy rip from an LP. When they refunded my money I lost access to it. But I have both LPs [[mono+stereo) so it didn’t matter. I would love to hear the Copa show.

blackguy69
02-28-2018, 05:19 PM
I posted a while back the full live show. I found it on SoundCloud

blackguy69
02-28-2018, 05:20 PM
https://m.soundcloud.com/user664437078/01-track-1martha-the-vandellas-live-part-1

blackguy69
02-28-2018, 05:21 PM
https://m.soundcloud.com/user664437078/02-track-2-side-2-of-the-martha-the-vandellas-live-album

thanxal
02-28-2018, 06:43 PM
I posted a while back the full live show. I found it on SoundCloud
Thanks for this. The iTunes album sounded like this [[scratchy vinyl).

blackguy69
02-28-2018, 06:52 PM
You kinda want that old school scratching sound lol

thanxal
02-28-2018, 07:51 PM
You kinda want that old school scratching sound lol
Do you know what the differences are between the mono and stereo versions? Someone here mentioned it but I can’t find it in the archive and am too lazy to play both lps.

blackguy69
02-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Background vocals are louder on the mono version

PeaceNHarmony
02-28-2018, 08:52 PM
Do you know what the differences are between the mono and stereo versions? Someone here mentioned it but I can’t find it in the archive and am too lazy to play both lps.
I hear 'around' that the performances on each version differ back-and-forth - but don't know for certain -

kenneth
02-28-2018, 08:57 PM
I remember reading years ago that it was two different shows which were recorded and that the Stereo "show" was better than the Mono "show." But I haven't heard the album in years.

thanxal
02-28-2018, 09:03 PM
I remember reading years ago that it was two different shows which were recorded and that the Stereo "show" was better than the Mono "show." But I haven't heard the album in years.
That’s what I recall too. Now Imma have to get my lazy butt up and listen to both.

reese
02-28-2018, 09:29 PM
Re the mono vs stereo, all of the performances on Side 1 [[except I'M READY FOR LOVE) are different.

kenneth
02-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Re the mono vs stereo, all of the performances on Side 1 [[except I'M READY FOR LOVE) are different.

So then were the performances on Side 2 all the same?

reese
03-01-2018, 12:23 AM
So then were the performances on Side 2 all the same?

Yes, they are.

kenneth
03-01-2018, 01:44 AM
Yes, they are.

I always wonder how decisions like that get made! Thanks Reese.

reese
03-01-2018, 10:03 AM
I always wonder how decisions like that get made! Thanks Reese.

I do, too. Of course, it could be mean double sales to the die-hard fans, provided they know about it. I never knew there were differences until J. Randy Taraborrelli mentioned it in his book on Motown.

But then it made sense. My local soul station used to do a weekend oldies show and they played the live version of MY BABY LOVES ME. When I got a copy of the album, some of the patter in that song seemed different from what I remembered. After reading J. Randy's book, I found a stereo copy and it became clear.

On a related note, I have an old SOUL magazine from the 60s and there was a short mention of this album. Apparently when it was being recorded, they kept running out of tape!

mowsville
03-01-2018, 10:34 AM
The guy who does the bootlegs now has both of these for sale...the packaging looks amazing.

PeaceNHarmony
03-01-2018, 10:49 AM
The guy who does the bootlegs now has both of these for sale...the packaging looks amazing.
Yes - I was being cheeky, wondering if anyone else knew of them - they do look great -
But we must make clear: He is scum - SCUM!!! - for daring to provide this material to fans and we would and will NEVER, ever have any dealings with him. At all. Really.

midnightman
03-01-2018, 11:10 AM
I would hope Motown/Universal does put the stereo version on Spotify in the future.

mowsville
03-01-2018, 11:13 AM
i applaud the guy..hes doing a great job and making available stuff we would never get otherwise..like somebody said in an earlier thread about his work i will happily buy it and if an official release does see the light of day i will buy that too...hes only doing what Universal cant be bothered to do...and hes doing a bloody good job.

PeaceNHarmony
03-01-2018, 11:14 AM
i applaud the guy..hes doing a great job and making available stuff we would never get otherwise..like somebody said in an earlier thread about his work i will happily buy it and if an official release does see the light of day i will buy that too...hes only doing what Universal cant be bothered to do...and hes doing a bloody good job.
Agreed on all points. We've waited long enough.

kenneth
03-01-2018, 11:16 AM
@mowsville, I agree. Motown has had almost 50 years to bring out the Copa show. Of course I would prefer a legitimate release, but it is beautifully done and Martha and the Vandellas are in great voice and I'm not going to miss the opportunity to finally own this material, however it is made available. Her "Ode to Billie Joe" is amazing, kind of a darker, more sinister version of "Honey Chile." Martha's Southern roots really come out in these songs.

midnightman
03-01-2018, 01:22 PM
That is true, mowsville.

vgalindo
03-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Yes his work is amazing. He has the Copa show and the Live album stereo and mono. They look beautiful.

motony
03-01-2018, 04:01 PM
I have always loved my LIVE LP when I bought it the time it first came out. Ofcourse, I bought the mono version since it was $2.98 & the Stereo version was $3.98. I didn't have a stereo anyway.

romeo
03-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Someone please post a link to the guy who has these two live shows on cd. i would love to have them but don't know how to contact him. Thanks a million, in advance.

blackguy69
03-05-2018, 01:09 PM
I would love to hear the Copa show. To hear Roz and Lois live would be great

mistercarter2u
03-07-2018, 12:52 PM
I may be in the minority, but I find Martha's performances at the Copa annoying. They are too darned fast, and she sings in such a high range that she sounds almost birdlike. I love me some Martha and The Vandellas - don't get me wrong - but I do not think the Copa concert is good at all. I listen to it now and see why Motown did not release it.

mistercarter2u
03-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Agreed... I think it is sad, sad, sad that Universal has done such a crappy job of re-issuing Motown material. They have put out a ZILLION hits packages on most of the better known Motown acts, recycling the same songs over and over and over again... yet they have actually re-released very, very few of the classic Motown albums in their entirety, and aside from Ace/Kent comps, very little of the unreleased material has crept out. It makes no friggin' sense! We got some wonderful product from Hippo Select a few years back - which was, by the way RIDICULOUSLY OVER-PRICED! - but then that stopped as well. Universal has just sat on this vast catalog, doing basically nothing. We wait sometimes years - YEARS! - for a single re-release to happen [[such as "Supremes A-Go Go" and eventually, maybe "Supremes Sing HDH"). LUDICROUS! The fan base is getting older, gang. We won't be around forever to support these classic Motown acts and releases. I guess Universal is just not interested in selling a few hundred or possibly a few thousand copies, so they do nothing. Sad! I am grateful that some industrious fans have made a lot of this work available to us again now. I am enjoying it immensely...

blackguy69
03-07-2018, 01:36 PM
I do have a question. What’s is the set list of the Copa show

luke
03-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Good points mrcarter. And didn’t A go go sell out?

reese
03-07-2018, 03:52 PM
I do have a question. What’s is the set list of the Copa show

The info below comes from another thread on the Vandellas:
OPENING MEDLEY: I'm Ready For Love/Come and Get These Memories/Quicksand/Heatwave

NOWHERE TO RUN

LOVE [[MAKES ME DO FOOLISH THINGS)

LOVE IS ALL I CAN GIVE YOU

MEDLEY: Quiet Nights, Quiet Stars/Meditation

MY BABY LOVES ME

HONEY CHILE

MEDLEY: Get Happy / When You're Smiling

FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE

ODE TO BILLY JOE

NOBODY KNOWS THE TROUBLE I'VE SEEN

DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE

MEDLEY: Dancing In The Street/I Can't Help Myself/Sweet Soul Music

Motown Eddie
03-08-2018, 06:09 AM
Wouldn't it be great to have these on CD? :rolleyes:

Yes it would be nice to have Martha Reeves & the Vandellas' Live and At The Copa available on CD [[or on iTunes & other digital outlets). And if we still had Hip-O Select, these would've been done already. Maybe Ace/Kent can release these albums.

midnightman
03-09-2018, 12:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-UbBJyszk

This is one reason I wanted "Live" streamed on Spotify so I can hear a crisp, clear version of them doing this stomper live. One of my all-time fave MR&TV's songs EVER!

Too high pitched here though and Betty and Roz sound like chipmunks lol

blackguy69
03-09-2018, 01:01 AM
I did post the links from SoundCloud so until they come out on cd this is the best we got

Ngroove
03-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Agreed... I think it is sad, sad, sad that Universal has done such a crappy job of re-issuing Motown material. They have put out a ZILLION hits packages on most of the better known Motown acts, recycling the same songs over and over and over again... yet they have actually re-released very, very few of the classic Motown albums in their entirety, and aside from Ace/Kent comps, very little of the unreleased material has crept out. It makes no friggin' sense! We got some wonderful product from Hippo Select a few years back - which was, by the way RIDICULOUSLY OVER-PRICED! - but then that stopped as well. Universal has just sat on this vast catalog, doing basically nothing. We wait sometimes years - YEARS! - for a single re-release to happen [[such as "Supremes A-Go Go" and eventually, maybe "Supremes Sing HDH"). LUDICROUS! The fan base is getting older, gang. We won't be around forever to support these classic Motown acts and releases. I guess Universal is just not interested in selling a few hundred or possibly a few thousand copies, so they do nothing. Sad! I am grateful that some industrious fans have made a lot of this work available to us again now. I am enjoying it immensely...

There's Universal Japan Imports.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/fl/11/397/1/
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/fl/11/397/2/
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/fl/11/397/3/
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/fl/11/397/4/

But yes, even from their reissue program while they lasted, mostly Supremes / Diana Ross / Temptations / Marvin Gaye / Jackson Five, with only extremely partial for everyone else - such as up to 1966 albums for Four Tops, Heat Wave / Dance party for Martha & the Vandellas, Please Mr. Postman for Marvelettes, Shotgun for Jr. Walker and the All-Stars.

However, I've still gotten "Hi We're The Miracles", "Please Mister Postman", "Mary Wells Sings My Guy", "Where Did Our Love Go", "Dance Party", "Four Tops Second Album", "This Old Heart Of Mine", "Twenty Five Miles", and "Partners" out of it.

cheekylincs
06-17-2018, 06:38 AM
I am desperate for a copy of the Copa performance and keep checking all outlets but nothing - can anyone help before I move onto the next world!!

kenneth
06-18-2018, 05:17 PM
I am desperate for a copy of the Copa performance and keep checking all outlets but nothing - can anyone help before I move onto the next world!!

I think the fellow who produced these sold out of them rather quickly. I noticed it wasn't on his latest flyer.

CoolKatz
06-18-2018, 07:19 PM
Roz and Lois Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InWHtEYAQQM

midnightman
06-18-2018, 07:37 PM
Roz and Lois Live

They rockin' in this version! Go 'head Martha and Co.!!!

marv2
06-18-2018, 08:49 PM
I think the fellow who produced these sold out of them rather quickly. I noticed it wasn't on his latest flyer.

Thanks Kenneth for the info.

marv2
06-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Roz and Lois Live

That band wasn't taking any prisoners! Go on!

cheekylincs
06-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Wow - they were really at their peak in Japan ‘68. Loved listening to this

fightingirish46
05-17-2020, 12:24 PM
Can anyone PM me the info for the person that creates the bootlegs?

mysterysinger
05-17-2020, 06:04 PM
The guy used to go under the name of dj-valentin-ny on Ebay but his account seems to have been deleted [[I think he was rumbled). However, I suspect he was [[still is?) a member of this forum. I've had a handful of things from him including the Copa MR&TV CD.

Can see some of them included here ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/albums/72157713844296947

kenneth
05-19-2020, 12:15 PM
Can anyone PM me the info for the person that creates the bootlegs?

I think he's out of that business now. He had some trouble and went more or less offline after that. He had a one-time offer where he was sending people sound files and they were creating their own CDs [[and packaging, I think).

His work was very high quality. The only down side was when there was a problem, like a track out of order or a missing song, there was no way to get things replaced or fixed. That happened a couple times only, I should add.

I couldn't care less about the fact that these are bootlegs. This music has been buried far too long for it to still be unavailable. You won't find better produced bootlegs at least from my experience.