PDA

View Full Version : Take A Letter Maria - Jimmy Ruffin

test

TomatoTom123
02-24-2018, 09:12 PM
I wasn’t familiar with the original recording by R.B. Greaves, but I'm not sure I'd need to hear any other version after Jimmy's wonderful, wonderful rendition!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBz5LVmIG_I

marv2
02-24-2018, 10:11 PM
Jimmy does a nice job, but this R.B.'s song! He nailed it! I can't even hear anyone else's voice whenever I read the title........"Take A Letter Maria"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Y0x1jLkLg

TomatoTom123
02-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Fair enough, Marv, it’s only cause Jimmy's was the first version I heard. I like R.B.'s too.

They kinda sound similar, good choice to cover it Jimmy!!! ;)

marv2
02-28-2018, 10:06 PM
Fair enough, Marv, it’s only cause Jimmy's was the first version I heard. I like R.B.'s too.

They kinda sound similar, good choice to cover it Jimmy!!! ;)

I understand. I just remember when R.B. Greaves' version was new and on the radio. I was in the 4th Grade.......LOL!

lockhartgary
03-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Wow, that video was awesome! I have never seen it before. It certainly was different in its presentation. And the details like the tape recorder actually running added to iits greatness.

I'd have to give the nod to R. B. Greaves' version as well. His timing and phrasing are wonderful. Like I've said before, the first version of a song is usually the one I tend to gravitate to because I've heard it countless times and it becomes ingrained in me. That's not to say that I don't give other versions a chance to grow on me though.

marv2
03-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Wow, that video was awesome! I have never seen it before. It certainly was different in its presentation. And the details like the tape recorder actually running added to iits greatness.

I'd have to give the nod to R. B. Greaves' version as well. His timing and phrasing are wonderful. Like I've said before, the first version of a song is usually the one I tend to gravitate to because I've heard it countless times and it becomes ingrained in me. That's not to say that I don't give other versions a chance to grow on me though.

Lockhartgary, the fact that the video is from late 1969 makes it all the more special in my opinion. I agree with your comment of the first version of a song that became a hit is usually the one I like most and stick with.