PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who like the CD format

test

thanxal
02-03-2018, 07:46 AM
This article

http://uproxx.com/music/best-buy-stop-selling-cds-2018/ [[http://uproxx.com/music/best-buy-stop-selling-cds-2018/)

explains really well why the CD is nearly dead. Sales down almost 90% since 2001. This might also help give context to some of Universal's recent decisions. I don't always agree and would like a physical format [[esp. vinyl) but I won't let the format of media stop me from consuming it [[e.g. Baby It's Me, Funny Girl, etc). I like CDs but they do appear to be on their way out [[probably only to be resurrected in the year 2030 by hipsters!).

mysterysinger
02-03-2018, 08:13 AM
It wouldn't be so bad if they provided the full artwork and booklet in electronic format every time - I think I'd like download a bit more then - I would like all booklets to be made available electronically as a separate item. I'm sure they would be easier to read on a screen.

lockhartgary
02-03-2018, 10:23 AM
It wouldn't be so bad if they provided the full artwork and booklet in electronic format every time - I think I'd like download a bit more then - I would like all booklets to be made available electronically as a separate item. I'm sure they would be easier to read on a screen.

Exactly how I feel.

midnightman
02-03-2018, 11:31 AM
This is only aimed at Best Buy and they keep closing stores.

Of course, no one can deny the CD has been faltering for some time but no one can get gold on streams or digital copies alone. Not many are that lucky.

As long as Amazon is around, CDs will be around even with its impact diminished. The big mistake they can do is just delete it altogether like they did vinyls. Most of Universal's acts are pretty young too so of course CDs won't matter with them.

But as long as you have Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran or Adele or whoever, they're gonna sell CDs.

jobeterob
02-03-2018, 12:47 PM
It’s also killed any reasonable retirement income for artists, writers and producers over the last 25 years

PeaceNHarmony
02-03-2018, 01:03 PM
I'll hope that physical cds will remain available on a 'boutique' basis, much like the current vinyl market. Otherwise, it is what it is. Things change ... can't let it defeat you.

jobeterob
02-03-2018, 01:23 PM
I agree

We have a new CD store and I noticed it had the A Go Go expanded edition and Diamond Diana which I bought

bradsupremes
02-03-2018, 01:31 PM
This issue is not that everyone stopped buying CDs, it’s that the music industry doesn’t know the market. Youth are all about digital media. They are the biggest buying group so it doesn’t surprise me the sales are down because kids don’t buy CD’s. What the music industry and labels like Universal fail to realize is that this applies to the younger demographic and not the older. When you go to reissue an artist like Ella Fitzgerald or James Brown, the buying group for that artist is going to be older and an older buying public like physical releases such as CDs. The music industry is a youth oriented industry, but you cannot apply to the same methods to music of a different generation and expect the same results. This is where places like Ace, Real Gone, Second Disc are smart. They know the material, who is going to buy it, the formats that’ll sell.

midnightman
02-03-2018, 02:33 PM
The more I read about what is going on in Best Buy and Target, it's making sense why they don't see the sense in keeping CDs if they're not gonna sell. Especially CDs that cost like over $15. No one is gonna waste money on something that can be easily be viewed and streamed online. Like I said, as long as there are still independent CD stores, CDs will be sold. Big labels definitely need to wake up. They thought downloading was "cheapening" the industry and not their own undoing. They thought streaming was gonna ruin the industry [[it didn't).

You're absolutely right, Brad, the music industry doesn't know anything.

thanxal
02-03-2018, 02:43 PM
This issue is not that everyone stopped buying CDs, it’s that the music industry doesn’t know the market. Youth are all about digital media. They are the biggest buying group so it doesn’t surprise me the sales are down because kids don’t buy CD’s. What the music industry and labels like Universal fail to realize is that this applies to the younger demographic and not the older. When you go to reissue an artist like Ella Fitzgerald or James Brown, the buying group for that artist is going to be older and an older buying public like physical releases such as CDs. The music industry is a youth oriented industry, but you cannot apply to the same methods to music of a different generation and expect the same results. This is where places like Ace, Real Gone, Second Disc are smart. They know the material, who is going to buy it, the formats that’ll sell.

I agree. But on the other hand, that’s probably why we got A Go Go on CD. I can hear that conversation now... “ it’s all old people. If we don’t give them a CD they will b and complain endlessly”. Lol!

jobeterob
02-03-2018, 03:01 PM
I agree with this too; it's a splintered market, just like everything else these days. But they can own the variety of markets if they try.

This is why Diamond Diana topped the R & B Chart and was Top 5 in the sales chart - it had to do with physical sales and very few digital sales. LOL - Brad might have bought it digital; all the old farts wanted to hold something!

vgalindo
02-03-2018, 03:09 PM
When Diamond Diana was released digital I didn't buy it. But I bought it the first day it was released on CD. Lol.

kenneth
02-03-2018, 04:26 PM
I agree. But on the other hand, that’s probably why we got A Go Go on CD. I can hear that conversation now... “ it’s all old people. If we don’t give them a CD they will b and complain endlessly”. Lol!

And how right they are!

jobeterob
02-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Brad’s right; they are so terribly out of touch with that portion of the market

Perhaps it is just not a large enough market and they don’t care

bradsupremes
02-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Brad’s right; they are so terribly out of touch with that portion of the market

Perhaps it is just not a large enough market and they don’t care

You're right, it's not a large enough market. At least in comparison to the younger demographic. But if they promoted their product correctly, it could bring in sales. Look at the Diamond Diana collection. There was at least some promotion behind it and it's crossing over to the younger demographic. It's doing great on the charts and shows there is a younger demographic interested in the back catalog. I think that's where Universal/music industry makes their biggest mistake. The back catalogs are a goldmine especially when it comes to Motown. Motown 50 was a wasted opportunity. Motown The Musical was another. If Universal had invested into more reissues and expanded editions for those events, promoted the products in Billboard, on Sirius XM, etc., it would have been a smash. I still think if they invested just a bit in promotions these collections would sell more than they think do.

helga
02-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Just my two cents here. All music sales in general are down. Yes, vinyl is the growing format, but total sales between all formats have been on a humungous decline for many years now and unfortunately there is no amount of marketing that is going to save the sinking ship of the music industry. It's great that reissues still get attention from time to time, including a compilation like Diamond Diana. Although when you look at comparable titles that have hit the charts in a similar manner in the last few months, if an album like Diamond Diana reaches #30 on the charts, it's still likely only selling less than 5,000 copies in that sales week. That's with digital, streaming and physical all taken into consideration. We can count on one hand the number of albums that are certified as platinum sellers each year. This was not the case 20 years ago. There are a number of factors at play. Unfortunately, when it comes to the big record companies, having an active reissue program these days is no longer viable to support their core business. It's a small side business but not enough to sustain their huge operations, which is why it is now more and more popular to license the music to the smaller labels who have smaller overhead. Some of the lack of success concerning reissues does not always have to do with a lack of marketing, but rather that this market has been overtapped. I cannot tell you how many Supremes fans on this forum and elsewhere have commented that they have stayed away from the recent titles because they are not interested in more alternate versions. The vault has been tapped out, for the most part. This applies to most artists, Motown and non-Motown. Everyone who wants a copy of Michael Jackson's Thriller, already owns it. Inclusion of bonus material on any reissue will have limited appeal at this stage, unless you're a super fan, which is an even smaller market.

In addition to music being available in much more easily accessible and cheaper avenues nowadays, such as through streaming services, there are also more options available to consumers. With the internet, there are options like YouTube or even independent music retailers like CDBaby. There are so many more options available to consume music. Many artists are even marketing and selling their own music. All of these things take away money from the big labels. There are also many more entertainment options available in general. Just look at the decline in movie attendances at cinemas.

For these reasons, the money is going elsewhere, not to mention that the general quality of new music has also gone downhill. Music is not what it once was, which is why we only see the bigger sales splashes now with a few artists, like Adele.

jobeterob
02-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Just my two cents here. All music sales in general are down. Yes, vinyl is the growing format, but total sales between all formats have been on a humungous decline for many years now and unfortunately there is no amount of marketing that is going to save the sinking ship of the music industry. It's great that reissues still get attention from time to time, including a compilation like Diamond Diana. Although when you look at comparable titles that have hit the charts in a similar manner in the last few months, if an album like Diamond Diana reaches #30 on the charts, it's still likely only selling less than 5,000 copies in that sales week. That's with digital, streaming and physical all taken into consideration. We can count on one hand the number of albums that are certified as platinum sellers each year. This was not the case 20 years ago. There are a number of factors at play. Unfortunately, when it comes to the big record companies, having an active reissue program these days is no longer viable to support their core business. It's a small side business but not enough to sustain their huge operations, which is why it is now more and more popular to license the music to the smaller labels who have smaller overhead. Some of the lack of success concerning reissues does not always have to do with a lack of marketing, but rather that this market has been overtapped. I cannot tell you how many Supremes fans on this forum and elsewhere have commented that they have stayed away from the recent titles because they are not interested in more alternate versions. The vault has been tapped out, for the most part. This applies to most artists, Motown and non-Motown. Everyone who wants a copy of Michael Jackson's Thriller, already owns it. Inclusion of bonus material on any reissue will have limited appeal at this stage, unless you're a super fan, which is an even smaller market.

In addition to music being available in much more easily accessible and cheaper avenues nowadays, such as through streaming services, there are also more options available to consumers. With the internet, there are options like YouTube or even independent music retailers like CDBaby. There are so many more options available to consume music. Many artists are even marketing and selling their own music. All of these things take away money from the big labels. There are also many more entertainment options available in general. Just look at the decline in movie attendances at cinemas.

For these reasons, the money is going elsewhere, not to mention that the general quality of new music has also gone downhill. Music is not what it once was, which is why we only see the bigger sales splashes now with a few artists, like Adele.

Very good analysis

thanxal
02-04-2018, 01:01 PM

Yes, I very much agree with this analysis. In music, the money [[what's left) is in concerts, not media, be it vinyl, cd, cassette, or digital.

midnightman
02-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Also, artists are starting to rebel AGAINST the music industry, which usually keeps the money that artist makes for their money. That's why Prince and artists like that wanted to get back ownership of their music because they felt financially, they were being ripped off. So it's much deeper than retailers deciding not to include music anymore.

paul_nixon
02-04-2018, 02:55 PM

Bizarre I know but I believe the invention of the CD and the mp3 were the industries death warrant - once it became very easy to copy and share in high quality original sales dropped dramatically. The same is happening with TV nowadays you can access programming so many different ways that linear TV is on the way out - even big suppliers like SKY here in the UK are in trouble....easy access - easy share - less sales of original material. Before you all shout I too love original releases and my Motown is all original release material BUT amongst the 'also ran' part of my collection the LP's and albums by people I just 'like' there are a number that I have recorded from LP maybe borrowed a CD and copied it - who hasn't? And nowadays this is just too damn easy - don't you remember in the early days of CD's it was almost impossible to back them up - but once the genie was out of the bottle and ipods and mp3 players became available they had to open up the copying procedure and in the end their own demise.

jobeterob
02-04-2018, 09:36 PM
True and a little bit sad for the kids from the 50s 60s 70s

BritishTony
02-05-2018, 07:22 PM
You know, in the UK we are blessed still to have the HMV retail chainwhich is similar to the old US Sam Goody’s or Tower Records. Currently I livein the north of England and I can tell you when I go to HMV on Saturdays inNewcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow it’s full of people buying CDs & vinyl. Plusthere are 3 excellent independent stores in Newcastle all thriving on CDs:Beatdown Records, RPM and Dave’s stall in Grainger Market. Don’t believe thehype. When, for example A Go-Go was deemed impossible to obtain HMV + one otherindependent in Newcastle had it on their racks at regular price. Don’t believethe fake news. It’s not over yet!

TomatoTom123
02-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Mmm, this doesn’t surprise me. The fact is, it’s so much easier [[and cheaper in the short-term) to subscribe to a music streaming service. You can effectively listen to anything you want without actually buying anything. No commitments, no upfront costs... and instant access to millions of songs.

However, we do still have HMV here in the UK and my local one is usually quite busy too. [[And I should know I'm there so much!) :)