PDA

View Full Version : New "Diana Ross Project" review - Diana Ross 1976

test

sup_fan
02-02-2018, 03:56 PM
interesting new review of this classic DR album. thoughts?

https://dianarossproject.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/diana-ross-1976/

I personally like the overall album a bit more than the review does. it's definitely a varied album but I think it works as a whole. I do agree that a more "pop" album could have been created but Diana Ross was never an entertaining you could pigeon-hole in 1 genre. From her earliest days in the Sups, they were tackling broadway and standards. I think Kiss Me Now is a fun track. maybe some of the reviewers suggestions could have made it a better track. And I'd not given much thought to alternative lineups and sequencing - that could make for a fun playlist challenge!

reese
02-02-2018, 04:13 PM
To me, this is one of Diana's best albums. I wouldn't change a thing about it. From the great cover photos to Diana's performances on the songs, I often listen to it without skipping a track. Even though there are many different producers, it hangs together in a great way, certainly better than its predecessor LAST TIME I SAW HIM or the later ROSS [['78).

sup_fan
02-02-2018, 04:37 PM
I agree - I think it's a patchwork like LTISH but the songs are simply of a better, overall quality. as are the productions and vocals.

LTISH could definitely have been helped with some alternative lineups. Diana Ross 76 would only have needed a few minor tweaks, if even

daviddh
02-02-2018, 05:55 PM
DIANA ROSS 76 was my first DR album and remains a favorite to this day.but I do like most of her 70s albums except Last Time I Saw Him which was dreadful coming after TMITM.
overall I love it and only Kiss Me Now would be the trax I would replace..perhaps with To Love Again or Where Did We Go Wrong ,both of which were released 2 years later.
great vocals and songs. I thought One Love In My Lifetime should have been a bigger hit.

jobeterob
02-02-2018, 06:55 PM
This is one of her best albums and one of her biggest hits.

PeaceNHarmony
02-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Until 'The Boss' most of Diana's [[excellent) lps were, like most hit-single oriented singers' albums, constructed around a single or two. I bought the lp on it's release, loved it then, love it now.

gman
02-02-2018, 11:16 PM
I like this Lp....Kiss Me Now adds a touch of "don't take this too seriously" fun to the Lp and is a throwback to the ragtime ending of Last Time I Saw Him...I can do without You're Good My Child. I just don't like the song....I like the Gr. Hits mix of One Love In My Lifetime better...and I would not include To Love Again here...The LP doesn't need another big ballard.
I like the Ross '78 LP... I can do without Together...but this LP has some great moments both in ballards and dance cuts. Here is the definite version of Lovin' Livin' & Givin'. I love everything about that track...the tempo, the synthesizer, and whatever that low toned thing [[bass synthesizer???) that just trips all over the beat giving it the funk, and the ad lib vocals.

Bluebrock
02-03-2018, 04:38 AM
DIANA ROSS 76 was my first DR album and remains a favorite to this day.but I do like most of her 70s albums except Last Time I Saw Him which was dreadful coming after TMITM.
overall I love it and only Kiss Me Now would be the trax I would replace..perhaps with To Love Again or Where Did We Go Wrong ,both of which were released 2 years later.
great vocals and songs. I thought One Love In My Lifetime should have been a bigger hit.
I think we must have been separated at birth David, because i agree with every word you say here so i have no further need to waste mine or anyone elses time by saying anything else! Respect my friend.

Jaap
02-03-2018, 05:59 AM
This was the very first Diana Ross album I knew, as my parents got it as a gift from a friend [[side A to my dad, side B to my mother--apparently the friend thought that was funny.) I didn't get into Ross and Motown until a couple years later. I always liked You're Good My Child--Ross sounds very soulful on that one, but I LOVE the alternate version that was added to the expanded edition. That mix really brings out the funky side of the song and makes it a bit less bland. What a difference a mix makes!

daviddh
02-03-2018, 09:41 AM
I think we must have been separated at birth David, because i agree with every word you say here so i have no further need to waste mine or anyone elses time by saying anything else! Respect my friend.
always thought you had good taste.....in music. thanks. great music brings us all together and that is what Diana has done so well for all these years

daviddh
02-03-2018, 09:42 AM
the greatest hits lp has a different mix of OLIML......never knew but I played the keck out of that lp. going to pull it out and have a listen.

sup_fan
02-03-2018, 10:31 AM
anyone think they'd have swapped out Kiss Me Now or smile for the unreleased tracks:

Harmony
To Love Again
Le Lo Li
Go Where Your Mind Is
Together
Sorry Doesn't Make it right

daviddh
02-03-2018, 12:14 PM
I think I read Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right was considered for the album but they felt it was to country. I think Together is to sugary for me.
I do like Harmony but I don't think it fits this album somehow.
T Love Again would be my choice

gman
02-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Perhaps they were saving the already in the can ballards not included to break up one of the next LP's which would have dance tracks, enabling her to work with only one producer to ready the next release? DR '76 is a great LP..since there's usually a few tracks or a entire side I pass on in every DR solo LP, it remains one of my favs with only 1 can do without track.
I like the "To Love Again" collection...nice to have all the lush tracks on one CD.

daviddh
02-03-2018, 01:34 PM
her original greatest hits album from 1976 is off of ITunes.
I was surprised this album was released so close after DR76 instead of holding it back to the holidays. I think it cut the DR76 album sales short a bit, even though it did well overall.

gman
02-03-2018, 02:16 PM
I was surprised the Gr Hits LP carried over 4 tracks from a recent [[DR 76) release.
...[[I think the UK issue had more tracks)...I won that LP on a boardwalk in NJ.

TheMotownManiac
02-03-2018, 02:31 PM
I think the track listing is the way it is, but if I had to change out kiss me now, It would be for to love again. Changes the tone of the album that Wynn makes it too ballad Heavy.

jobeterob
02-05-2018, 06:26 PM
I was surprised the Gr Hits LP carried over 4 tracks from a recent [[DR 76) release.
...[[I think the UK issue had more tracks)...I won that LP on a boardwalk in NJ.

That Greatest Hits album ended up selling a lot because they sell for years and years and years

Dumping 4 tracks from Diana Ross onto Greatest Hits was pretty dumb at the time; now, it probably doesn't matter that much. If Motown did that to the Supremes, they would be accused of sabotaging their career!

I thought this album was better than the review Paul gave it. He usually reviews more liberally than I would but not this time.

I thought Smile and Kiss Me Now fit just fine on this album. And it has 3 classics at least in Mahogany, Love Hangeover and I Thought It Took a little Time.

gman
02-06-2018, 05:57 AM
Ditto for All Time Greatest Hits 2 LP set having a complete side from "diana" '79 nothing from Baby It's Me and not including Surrender or I'm Still Waiting again

gman
02-06-2018, 06:00 AM
By 1976 the debut LP must have been out of print, so that would also mean the GH LP was the only place to find ANMHE in its full length