PDA

View Full Version : 5 Reasons to Catch Diana Ross' Endless Memories Residency

test

jobeterob
02-01-2018, 05:58 PM
https://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/music/2018/feb/01/five-reasons-to-catch-diana-ross-endless-memories/

PeaceNHarmony
02-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Fun - as if anyone sane could limit the reasons to 5, though!!

Boogiedown
02-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Possibly rub elbows with other great Rosses.

...... most notably Golden Globe-winning Black-ish star Tracee Ellis Ross and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay co-star Evan Ross. You don’t roll that deep with your family and not invite them out to hang in Vegas for a few days.

https://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/music/2018/feb/01/five-reasons-to-catch-diana-ross-endless-memories/

lol!!!!

:rolleyes::p

StuBass1
02-04-2018, 11:57 AM
I still don't get the whole "residency" thing. To me, it's just an extended big bucks Vegas concert appearance for major stars with the twist of a theme [[which most tours contain) thrown in...These current "residency's are hardly exclusive appearances for months on end [[which I would consider a "residency"), but calling every Vegas appearance for more than a couple of shows a "residency" just seems like a lot of hype to me...That said...I think me and my combo had a "residency" at the lounge at the Holiday Inn back in 69...

marv2
02-04-2018, 12:02 PM
I still don't get the whole "residency" thing. To me, it's just an extended big bucks Vegas concert appearance for major stars with the twist of a theme [[which most tours contain) thrown in...These current "residency's are hardly exclusive appearances for months on end [[which I would consider a "residency"), but calling every Vegas appearance for more than a couple of shows a "residency" just seems like a lot of hype to me...That said...I think me and my combo had a "residency" at the lounge at the Holiday Inn back in 69...

Stu, please stop! LOL!!!!! heheehehehe!

StuBass1
02-04-2018, 12:27 PM
I'm dead on serious...Most of these so called "residencies" are really to me just a lot of hype to garner attention for a few appearances. Acts like Liberace and Celine Dion, Siegfreid & Roy, and a several others over the years actually had long term exclusive contracts to appear at a certain hotel venue for an extended period of time...But Diana Ross or Earth, Wind & Fire....legendary artists in their own right, or Britany Spears [[God save us), making 5 or 6 appearances at a given hotel hardly equates to a "residency" and until they move their entire families into those venues, I won't consider it to be any more than a six show contract to appear...Now Lady Gaga [[who I really wouldn't cross the street to see appear), at least has a two year deal at a reported million bucks a show...Now THATS a residency...

marv2
02-04-2018, 12:57 PM
I'm dead on serious...Most of these so called "residencies" are really to me just a lot of hype to garner attention for a few appearances. Acts like Liberace and Celine Dion, Siegfreid & Roy, and a several others over the years actually had long term exclusive contracts to appear at a certain hotel venue for an extended period of time...But Diana Ross or Earth, Wind & Fire....legendary artists in their own right, or Britany Spears [[God save us), making 5 or 6 appearances at a given hotel hardly equates to a "residency" and until they move their entire families into those venues, I won't consider it to be any more than a six show contract to appear...Now Lady Gaga [[who I really wouldn't cross the street to see appear), at least has a two year deal at a reported million bucks a show...Now THATS a residency...

I understand and you are correct. They even built a theater specifically for Celine Dion and name another for Gladys Knight when they had long term runs in Vegas.

jobeterob
02-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Residencies seem dangerous

Lady Gaga has fibromyalgia and is cancelling dates; Celine is cancelling due to the throat

I think they are a marketing ploy and popular with the artists because they don’t have to travel and they make a lot of money

PeaceNHarmony
02-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Well, of course anyone on this forum knows that Diana Ross is soul music royalty, so anywhere she appears can be considered a residency.

jobeterob
02-04-2018, 06:15 PM
Yes the 2 or 3 whiners on here must be having terrible burns on over the recent spate of successes

PeaceNHarmony
02-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Yes the 2 or 3 whiners on here must be having terrible burns on over the recent spate of successes
True - I forgot about them - blocked 'em long ago!

Circa 1824
02-04-2018, 07:38 PM
The sixth reason would be if she finally gets a new show !

Roberta75
02-04-2018, 08:25 PM
I understand and you are correct. They even built a theater specifically for Celine Dion and name another for Gladys Knight when they had long term runs in Vegas.

LOL. Celine Dions showroom cost Ceasers Palace tens of millions of dollars and her show is still running, Gladys knights show "A mic and a light" cost the Tropicana about $1,000 to stick up a new sign above the door of there existing showroom. The Gladys Knight show closed after a few months due to real bad ticket sales. Celines shows been running almost 10 years. Big big difference.

midnightman
02-04-2018, 11:26 PM
Shame that Gladys couldn't sell out her Vegas shows...

Makes me wonder how good Vegas residencies/performances are for black R&B/soul artists, especially ones of the legacy variety like Diana and even The Tempts.

I think Vegas is meant more for the glitzy pop/rock artists than it is for R&B/soul.

jobeterob
02-05-2018, 02:25 AM
LOL. Celine Dions showroom cost Ceasers Palace tens of millions of dollars and her show is still running, Gladys knights show "A mic and a light" cost the Tropicana about $1,000 to stick up a new sign above the door of there existing showroom. The Gladys Knight show closed after a few months due to real bad ticket sales. Celines shows been running almost 10 years. Big big difference.

Standard rubbish and gibberish he pedals

No wonder Mary is embarrassed by him; he publicizes a 100 seat engagement of hers and compares it to Celine Dion or Lady Gaga and of course, his Dear Diane

PeaceNHarmony
02-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Standard rubbish and gibberish he pedals

No wonder Mary is embarrassed by him; he publicizes a 100 seat engagement of hers and compares it to Celine Dion or Lady Gaga and of course, his Dear Diane
Wilson's tickets were half-priced on Goldstar.

Circa 1824
02-05-2018, 08:17 AM
Wilson's tickets were half-priced on Goldstar.

“Karaoke with Mary.” They would actually have to pay ME.

reese
02-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Shame that Gladys couldn't sell out her Vegas shows...

Makes me wonder how good Vegas residencies/performances are for black R&B/soul artists, especially ones of the legacy variety like Diana and even The Tempts.

I think Vegas is meant more for the glitzy pop/rock artists than it is for R&B/soul.

I think Gladys' first residency at the Flamingo did well, running for a couple of years. It was the second one at the Tropicana that was less successful.

midnightman
02-05-2018, 12:42 PM
I think Gladys' first residency at the Flamingo did well, running for a couple of years. It was the second one at the Tropicana that was less successful.

When did she do the Tropicana one?

Roberta75
02-05-2018, 01:18 PM

Correct reese. The first one at the Flamingo ran for 2 years and did real well. They couldn't give tickets away for the one at the Tropicana.

Fondly.

Roberta

Roberta75
02-05-2018, 01:19 PM
When did she do the Tropicana one?

It ran for a few months back in 2011.

Roberta

smallworld
02-05-2018, 04:04 PM
or Britany Spears [[God save us), making 5 or 6 appearances at a given hotel hardly equates to a "residency" and until they move their entire families into those venues, I won't consider it to be any more than a six show contract to appear...

Britney Spears has been moving her hands on the same Las Vegas stage for years. 5 or 6 shows?!

jobeterob
02-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Why would Gladys be so less successful? Aging and interest waning?

I read a review of the Superbowl that said no one knows who Justin Timberlake is and no one cares anymore - of course, a younger reviewer.

And then I thought of SD and some of our people.............well, maybe all of our people!

midnightman
02-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Justin did terrible lol

StuBass1
02-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Britney Spears has been moving her hands on the same Las Vegas stage for years. 5 or 6 shows?!
Point well taken...however, I threw Britney in there not based on her performance schedule, as you point out, has done numerous shows per year, but when it comes to talent...I wouldn't put her on par with either Ross, EW&F or anyone else I mentioned [[IMHO), however, the Vegas "residency" did help Spears career recover from the reported emotional issues she was suffering from prior to doing the Vegas thing and yes, probably did help resurrect her flailing career at that point...Still, my main point remains that 6 or 7 shows hardly qualifies as a "residency"...

PeaceNHarmony
02-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Justin did terrible lol
Hmmm - I thought he was terrific.

midnightman
02-05-2018, 09:15 PM

Most people would be like "yeah right" lol

David J
02-05-2018, 11:04 PM
Well, Miss Ross recently tweeted that she really enjoyed Timberlake's Super Bowl performance, so you are not the only one PeaceMHarmony.

PeaceNHarmony
02-06-2018, 08:00 AM
I don't g-a-s about what 'most people be like'; it was a dynamic, entertaining performance by an excellent performer. 'Social' media is mostly a rathole for trolls and negative postings pretty much always exceed positive ones.

Bluebrock
02-06-2018, 08:58 AM
So did i. I think he stands head and shoulders above most of todays so called superstars. I think he will be around for a long time. I remain hopeful he will do something with Diana. He has watched her in concert many times and they get along well. Fingers crossed.

PeaceNHarmony
02-06-2018, 02:00 PM
So did i. I think he stands head and shoulders above most of todays so called superstars. I think he will be around for a long time. I remain hopeful he will do something with Diana. He has watched her in concert many times and they get along well. Fingers crossed.
Interesting - I didn't know that. Indeed would be a nice collaboration. JT, like Diana, has a deceptive 'effortless' quality to his performance that stems from sheer talent and lots of pre-show preparation -

Circa 1824
02-06-2018, 02:21 PM
JT’s super bowl performance was a fiasco, a shitshow. Most critics agree. His new cd is getting horrible reviews. He is 37 years old and his cute youthful look and energy is long gone. His face is now round like a bowling ball. IMHO, his career is over. Diana would be ill-advised to work with someone long past his prime.

Why does his face matter? Because when someone is young, fit, sexy, and exciting, their work is usually more prized than when they reach middle age. JT will never have that youthful advantage again, and he will not be of interest to the important young demographic.

midnightman
02-06-2018, 05:01 PM
What?

Diana makes it look effortless.
Justin didn't even try and it showed, he was horrible.

jobeterob
02-08-2018, 09:37 PM
First show last night!

jobeterob
02-09-2018, 02:30 PM
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/feb/09/best-bets-elton-john-diana-ross-philharmonic/

Roberta75
02-09-2018, 03:06 PM
Looking real slim and glamorous in Vegas on Wednesday night.

jobeterob
02-09-2018, 03:18 PM
New clothes too!

PeaceNHarmony
02-09-2018, 03:36 PM
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/feb/09/best-bets-elton-john-diana-ross-philharmonic/
Here's a nice quote from that link that gets it perfectly:
DIANA ROSS: ENDLESS MEMORIES If you close your eyes during one of the shows in this month-long residency at Wynn’s Encore Theater, you’ll swear you’re back in the Motown or disco eras—that’s the kind of shape the perpetually girlish diva’s voice is in. Open your eyes and discover she’s just as glamorous and fabulous as ever, still thrilling and charming her audience at age 73. You’ll never forgive yourself if you miss this show. Feb. 9-10, info at wynnlasvegas.com [[http://www.wynnlasvegas.com/Entertainment/DianaRoss).

PeaceNHarmony
02-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Looking real slim and glamorous in Vegas on Wednesday night.
What a great picture! Thanks for finding, Ms. Roberta -

Roberta75
02-09-2018, 08:06 PM
What a great picture! Thanks for finding, Ms. Roberta -

Welcome my dear. ��

midnightman
02-09-2018, 08:08 PM
I love those glamorous gowns. Diana always looked great in purple. :D