PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love [[Torreano Lamont's Extended Mix)

test

marv2
02-01-2018, 12:21 PM
A young man named Torreano Lamont just put this together. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLWOCVGJzmM

sup_fan
02-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Overall it’s fine IMO. I really wish we could remove Smokey’s vocals. I think that hurt this record as it doesn’t sound like the Sups. Wild have been fine if he and jean did a duet or something on lp

marv2
02-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Overall it’s fine IMO. I really wish we could remove Smokey’s vocals. I think that hurt this record as it doesn’t sound like the Sups. Wild have been fine if he and jean did a duet or something on lp

I agree remix is fine,but it gets a little repetitive in the verses. I would change up that part a bit more.

mowest
02-01-2018, 07:14 PM

I totally agree with you, sup_fan. Smokey’s vocals were totally unnecessary; they added nothing to the mix.

marv2
02-01-2018, 07:26 PM
I totally agree with you, sup_fan. Smokey’s vocals were totally unnecessary; they added nothing to the mix.

That started with Johnny Bristol on "Someday We'll Be Together". If you listen to the Supremes "Sweet Dream Machine" from 1976, you'll hear a male voice on there with them as well.

sup_fan
02-01-2018, 08:06 PM
the difference is Bristol just did a few ad libs and accent vocals. Smokey was singing completely on top of the backgrounds on the chorus. and he's so far up in the mix that he drowns out the girls! plus his vocal sounds a bit odd - like they used a synthesizer on his voice or something. it just sounds weird and the group is almost undecipherable.

I do think it could be a bit faster too. the live version was great. plus jean did great ad libs in the live version and I think if her vocal was a bit more aggressive, it would have given more life

but as I mentioned in another thread, the timing of this original release was poorly planned. it was released in summer when there would have been little to no opportunity to perform live on tv [[as the shows they did perform on were taped and broadcast later).

marv2
02-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Wow, he was never that prominent on the album version I have and it's the original release.

BayouMotownMan
02-01-2018, 08:59 PM
The song has always been mundane to me in its original form. Just repeating choruses and guitar licks just makes the ship sink slower

jobucats
02-02-2018, 12:22 AM
I love how we can all be wired differently regarding our tastes. This ranks in the top 3 of the 70s Supremes singles for me. It is so fun to listen to this song with that guitar riff and Smokey overlaying his voice in the track. But then again, the Jimmy Webb album was my favorite which seems to not have quite as many fans either.

Bluebrock
02-02-2018, 04:06 AM
The song has always been mundane to me in its original form. Just repeating choruses and guitar licks just makes the ship sink slower
I totally agree. Not one of my favorite songs from not one of my favorite albums. This is just okay, but nothing more.

marv2
02-02-2018, 05:48 AM
I love how we can all be wired differently regarding our tastes. This ranks in the top 3 of the 70s Supremes singles for me. It is so fun to listen to this song with that guitar riff and Smokey overlaying his voice in the track. But then again, the Jimmy Webb album was my favorite which seems to not have quite as many fans either.

I loved this record. It is one of my favorites as well.

sup_fan
02-02-2018, 12:20 PM
I'm a bit surprised that they did 3 singles from this lp, although the record sold better and charted higher than New Ways or Touch. Also given the personnel change, they really might not have had much else ready yet [[as the Webb stuff was just being recorded). so to bide time, they decided to do a 3rd single

Frankly I think some of the Promises Kept tracks might have been stronger. Tears Left Over for instance.

gordy_hunk
02-02-2018, 01:53 PM
I must be totally crazy - but listening to it, I didn't feel that I was able to hear Smokey's vocals at all. I do like the single, and I was disappointed when it didn't really achieve its potential. I much prefer this to the Jimmy Webb LP - which was ok, but nothing special.

marv2
02-02-2018, 02:11 PM
I'm a bit surprised that they did 3 singles from this lp, although the record sold better and charted higher than New Ways or Touch. Also given the personnel change, they really might not have had much else ready yet [[as the Webb stuff was just being recorded). so to bide time, they decided to do a 3rd single

Frankly I think some of the Promises Kept tracks might have been stronger. Tears Left Over for instance.

I think people make too much of the personnel changes within the Supremes. I was around throughout the group's career and I really do not recall people making that big of a deal about the changes. The Diana Ross- Jean Terrell change was big news, but then things settled right down and people started listening to the music of the "New Supremes". I do not know why they released a third single from "Floy Joy" but the album cuts were strong enough to garner that many singles and perhaps one more. It was a very good album and from what I've heard of the unreleased album "Promises Kept", "Floy Joy" was much more enjoyable in my opinion.

144man
02-02-2018, 02:12 PM
I just don't think the chorus has much of a tune.

marv2
02-02-2018, 02:13 PM
I must be totally crazy - but listening to it, I didn't feel that I was able to hear Smokey's vocals at all. I do like the single, and I was disappointed when it didn't really achieve its potential. I much prefer this to the Jimmy Webb LP - which was ok, but nothing special.

Gordy_hunk, you're not crazy. When I first heard it on the album, I had to listen very closely to hear the synthesized male voice underneath the Supremes vocals. Even on the single version you do not hear Smokey prominently. "You're Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" should have gone Top 10 in my opinion. It was one of the best recordings they had done.

sup_fan
02-02-2018, 03:31 PM
I think people make too much of the personnel changes within the Supremes. I was around throughout the group's career and I really do not recall people making that big of a deal about the changes. The Diana Ross- Jean Terrell change was big news, but then things settled right down and people started listening to the music of the "New Supremes". I do not know why they released a third single from "Floy Joy" but the album cuts were strong enough to garner that many singles and perhaps one more. It was a very good album and from what I've heard of the unreleased album "Promises Kept", "Floy Joy" was much more enjoyable in my opinion.

I like the album too and listen to it often. even though some people have labeled it "ear candy" or fluff, I think it's very strong. it is a significant departure from the production-heavy Frank Wilson work [[which I love too) but I found it exciting and fresh. It's not a really heavy r&b sound - it is more pop. which I think fit the girls well

I'm pretty certain that the general public didn't realize Cindy was gone and Lynda in her place. mostly just fans. but this was also the time when jean was "ill" and I think the combination of these reduced their appearances during this time. Every single prior to Auto Sun got pretty good tv coverage. but auto sun got none. This wasn't as abrupt of a lineup change as when Cindy left in 76 and Susaye joined. there was time to help get Lynda up to speed - but her first appearance in HI was pretty crazy. being dropped in as lead singer!!

I think with the lack of promotion for AS and the personnel shifts simply let the air out of the Floy Joy balloon. sort of "out of sight, out of mind" situation and with other r&b labels really hitting hard with other acts, the Sups just began to fall out of favor. Then the Webb misstep and their poor stage act in later 72 [[with TCB and other DRATS material) really damaged their reputation

AS should have been as big of a hit as FL. As I stated above, I'd have done some different things with YWSSL. But it too should have charted higher. I think out of the overall lineup, these 3 were the more commercial for single release

marv2
02-02-2018, 05:07 PM
I like the album too and listen to it often. even though some people have labeled it "ear candy" or fluff, I think it's very strong. it is a significant departure from the production-heavy Frank Wilson work [[which I love too) but I found it exciting and fresh. It's not a really heavy r&b sound - it is more pop. which I think fit the girls well

I'm pretty certain that the general public didn't realize Cindy was gone and Lynda in her place. mostly just fans. but this was also the time when jean was "ill" and I think the combination of these reduced their appearances during this time. Every single prior to Auto Sun got pretty good tv coverage. but auto sun got none. This wasn't as abrupt of a lineup change as when Cindy left in 76 and Susaye joined. there was time to help get Lynda up to speed - but her first appearance in HI was pretty crazy. being dropped in as lead singer!!

I think with the lack of promotion for AS and the personnel shifts simply let the air out of the Floy Joy balloon. sort of "out of sight, out of mind" situation and with other r&b labels really hitting hard with other acts, the Sups just began to fall out of favor. Then the Webb misstep and their poor stage act in later 72 [[with TCB and other DRATS material) really damaged their reputation

AS should have been as big of a hit as FL. As I stated above, I'd have done some different things with YWSSL. But it too should have charted higher. I think out of the overall lineup, these 3 were the more commercial for single release

I knew Cindy Birdsong was leaving ,but I will admit when I saw the Sonny & Cher show appearance, I had to look really close to realize that it wasn't Cindy with them and that it was Linda Tucker [[that is how she was first introduced to us via Mary and Stevie Wonder).

sup_fan
02-02-2018, 05:09 PM
I agree. I thought same on the FJ album. had to really sort of look. Plus Lynda was wearing a hat and made it a little more difficult to recognize

marv2
02-02-2018, 05:20 PM
I agree. I thought same on the FJ album. had to really sort of look. Plus Lynda was wearing a hat and made it a little more difficult to recognize

I always wanted a large version of the picture on the back of the with Smokey.

luke
02-02-2018, 07:07 PM
I must be really gone...never knew Smokey sang on this and I thought Cindy was on all of Fly Joy!

marv2
02-02-2018, 07:43 PM
I must be really gone...never knew Smokey sang on this and I thought Cindy was on all of Fly Joy!

Cindy Birdsong is on all of "Floy Joy".

daviddh
02-02-2018, 07:52 PM
always thought this was a good track for them. I would get rif of the Andantess and perhaps a different mix this could have been bigger. kind of funky, I like it.

marv2
02-02-2018, 07:59 PM
They definitely liked it on Soul Train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxUTOgfAMvQ&spfreload=10

BayouMotownMan
02-02-2018, 11:14 PM
Cindy Birdsong is on all of "Floy Joy".

No The Andantes are all over Floy Joy. The only track to feature just Mary and Cindy is Precious Little Things

marv2
02-03-2018, 12:35 AM
Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson, along with Jean Terrell are on every track of the "Floy Joy" album....FACT!

sup_fan
02-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson, along with Jean Terrell are on every track of the "Floy Joy" album....FACT!

I believe BMM is just saying that out of the tracks on the lp, the only one to only have MJC is Precious Little. M and C are on the rest of the tracks but so are the andantes. and in some cases the Andantes are heavily included.

marv2
02-03-2018, 10:45 AM
I believe BMM is just saying that out of the tracks on the lp, the only one to only have MJC is Precious Little. M and C are on the rest of the tracks but so are the andantes. and in some cases the Andantes are heavily included.

You can believe whatever you like. On this song, the one we discussing now, Mary Wilson is featured very prominently on background.

sup_fan
02-03-2018, 05:38 PM
oh def think M and C are on YWSSL. I think they're on all of the FJ tracks. i can't remember exactly but if you listen to the lp with noise cancelling earphones, it's pretty easy to identify what parts are the andantes. i want to say they were always in the center of the right headphone. whereas M and C were in other parts of the stereo mix