PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to see on UNSUNG?

test

woodward
01-26-2018, 04:23 PM
I just received the TVOne weekly email shoot and there is an item that should be of interest to all Motown fans.

https://tvone.tv/68968/who-do-you-want-to-see-on-unsung/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20Campaign&utm_term=TVOne%20Total

Two people I can name upfront without giving serious consideration are Marv Johnson and Jimmy Ruffin.

In addition to telling them tell us who you want to see on UNSUNG!

blackguy69
01-26-2018, 05:23 PM
The question should be who would qualify as unsung. Here are my picks:
Kim Weston
Brenda Holloway
The Originals
The Undisputed Truth.

More than likely the biggest groups will never be featured because they aren’t unsung

Circa 1824
01-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Bobbie Gentry

midnightman
01-26-2018, 07:41 PM
Brenda Holloway.

Roberta75
01-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Bonnie pointer
The 70's Supremes
Sam Harris
Ronnie Spector. [[A real survivor imo)

jobucats
01-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Non Motown. Tevin Campbell
Motown. Brenda Holloway
Jimmy Ruffin

PeaceNHarmony
01-26-2018, 08:42 PM
Bonnie pointer
The 70's Supremes
Sam Harris
Ronnie Spector. [[A real survivor imo)
I agree with Ronnie Spector. Linda Jones and Sylvia Robinson would be great, and maybe Black Ivory. And howsabout Walter Jackson?

alexstassi
01-26-2018, 09:26 PM
The Undisputed Truth
The Moments [[Ray, Goodman & Brown)

I almost wrote the chi-lites but just seen they had an episode, need to track it down.. hard to come by living in the UK

midnightman
01-26-2018, 10:23 PM
Non Motown. Tevin Campbell
Motown. Brenda Holloway
Jimmy Ruffin

As a '90s kid, I agree about Tevin!

blackguy69
01-26-2018, 10:54 PM
One thing I can say the 70’s supremes won’t be unsung that’s almost saying the temptations would be unsung after 75 or the four tops after Motown

Roberta75
01-27-2018, 12:25 AM
One thing I can say the 70’s supremes won’t be unsung n

Never say never dear.

blackguy69
01-27-2018, 12:27 AM
They won’t since it’s still the same group

alexstassi
01-27-2018, 01:18 AM
P.M. Dawn!!!!

Motown Eddie
01-27-2018, 06:47 AM
My Motown picks:
The Contours
Jr. Walker & the All Stars
Syreeta
Brenda Holloway
Kim Weston
Jimmy Ruffin
The Undisputed Truth
The Velvelettes

Non-Motown picks:
The New Birth Inc.
Kool & the Gang
Mandrill
The Moments
The Stylistics
Chairmen Of The Board
Freda Payne
The Honey Cone
Laura Lee

I'd also welcome segments on Unsung focusing on Blue-Eyed Soul, Black Rock & British Soul Acts.

midnightman
01-27-2018, 04:32 PM
One thing I can say the 70’s supremes won’t be unsung that’s almost saying the temptations would be unsung after 75 or the four tops after Motown

And both groups are legendary no matter which member joined later on lol

So it would've been awkward.

You could say "well they aired an episode on James Brown and he's probably one of the top five most famous black artists of all time" but that episode was a TRIBUTE episode [[and they did on Ike Turner's evil butt but it was only because "well Tina overshadowed him" *rolling eyes*) lol

As far as unsung Motown, Kim Weston and Brenda Holloway would be great episodes.

@Motown Eddie, Syreeta would be a GREAT ONE!!!

blackguy69
01-27-2018, 05:28 PM
My Motown picks:
The Contours
Jr. Walker & the All Stars
Syreeta
Brenda Holloway
Kim Weston
Jimmy Ruffin
The Undisputed Truth
The Velvelettes

Non-Motown picks:
The New Birth Inc.
Kool & the Gang
Mandrill
The Moments
The Stylistics
Chairmen Of The Board
Freda Payne
The Honey Cone
Laura Lee

I'd also welcome segments on Unsung focusing on Blue-Eyed Soul, Black Rock & British Soul Acts.
Blue-eyes soul has been already covered with teena Marie and Jon b

marv2
01-27-2018, 06:02 PM

It is just silly to keep mentioning the Supremes as candidates for the Unsung program. They are World famous along with the Temptations and Four Tops. There was never a group called "The 70s Supremes" either.

marv2
01-27-2018, 06:04 PM
I'd like to see them do an episode on High Inergy, Bonnie Pointer, Michael Henderson or Al Hudson and One Way.

captainjames
01-27-2018, 07:28 PM
My pick would always be Stephanie Mills but she will never do the show because of principal. It is kind of campy so I agree with her.

lockhartgary
01-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Bloodstone
War
Kim Weston
Brenda Holloway
Velvelettes

TomatoTom123
01-27-2018, 08:56 PM

Oh well that’s that genre done then

[[Ah I’m just messin' bg :p)

Motown Eddie
01-28-2018, 11:51 AM

Yes, those two acts have been covered but there's so many more Blue-Eyed Soul acts that can be discussed on Unsung.

Such as;
Boz Scaggs
The [[Young) Rascals
Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels
The Righteous Bros.

daviddh
01-28-2018, 12:08 PM
I would like a story on Telma Hopkins and Joyce Vincent ,Dawn ,..who started at Motown singing back up for all the Motown groups and then, Tony Orlando and Dawn. they are two of the most successful back up singers and survivors

blackguy69
01-28-2018, 12:35 PM
Yes, those two acts have been covered but there's so many more Blue-Eyed Soul acts that can be discussed on Unsung.

Such as;
Boz Scaggs
The [[Young) Rascals
Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels
The Righteous Bros.

Out if that group I would say only Boz Scaggs would possible be featured. You also have to factor in the audience that’s watching this

arr&bee
01-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Have the intruders been on yet? How bout the impressions-gene chandler-clyde mcphatter-major lance?

splanky
01-28-2018, 01:49 PM
New Birth Inc

and telling the whole funking story. The Harvey Fuqua managed years, The Nite-Liters
beginnings, the merging of the girl group Mint Juleps with the other acts, Wilson Bros
formerly with Ann Bogan as Love Peace & Happiness, the arrival as well as the
departure of Allen Frey, the eventual position of Londee Wiggins as their single female
lead vocalist [[including the dupe of the public when Harvey had Susaye Green on Until
It's Time For You To Go),that outrageous cover of the band all nude, right down to New
Birth's disbanding soon after and the group re-emerging as a duo of the two Wilson brothers...Yep, that would do it for me. Otherwise, Marv's idea of Michael Henderson
would be a second. Considering the cat wrote and produced the Dramatics, sang duets
with Roberta Flack and played bass with Miles Davis, yea, I think there's a story there...

blackguy69
01-28-2018, 02:06 PM
I doubt the impressions would be considered as unsung

superlou
01-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Gwen Guthrie - love her music and just don't know much about her.

marv2
01-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Have the intruders been on yet? How bout the impressions-gene chandler-clyde mcphatter-major lance?

JAI, the problem with having those artists featured is that the producers probably feel that their viewers are young and would not be familiar with them to begin with. In my opinion that would be all the more reason to profile them. To educate the younger crowd.

marv2
01-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Out if that group I would say only Boz Scaggs would possible be featured. You also have to factor in the audience that’s watching this

It is a primarily a black audience and probably younger than myself. I make my observation based on the types of artists they featured in the past. Many were from the 90s and from Hip Hop.

midnightman
01-29-2018, 03:01 PM

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inducted Impressions? LOL not when you have to explain Curtis Mayfield, they ain't unsung.

Clyde may be though since when people include soul pioneers, he's NEVER included.

motony
01-29-2018, 05:12 PM
Betty Wright, George & Gwen McRae.

jboy88
01-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Non- Motown artist i'd like to see

Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes
Sam & Dave
Joe Tex
Little Willie John
The Brothers Johnson

Motown artists I'd like to see

Brenda Holloway
Martha & the Vandellas
Paul Williams
The Originals
Today
Dennis Edwards
Edwin Starr

Unsung Hollywood!

Sanford & Son
The Five Heartbeats
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
John Witherspoon
James Avery
Roscoe lee Brown

lockhartgary
01-29-2018, 08:22 PM
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inducted Impressions? LOL not when you have to explain Curtis Mayfield, they ain't unsung.

Clyde may be though since when people include soul pioneers, he's NEVER included.

You are so right; Clyde is not included in the soul pioneers pantheon. I was born in 1965 and I have always had a love for '50s music. I was in 8th grade and remember buying oldies even then, and being derided by my fellow classmates. Clyde was in a class by himself and helped move tenor leads to the forefront even more. He was a remarkable singer.

lockhartgary
01-29-2018, 08:27 PM
It is a primarily a black audience and probably younger than myself. I make my observation based on the types of artists they featured in the past. Many were from the 90s and from Hip Hop.

When they started Unsung, the range of artists as far as peak years goes was considerably more broad that it is now. Now it seems mostly like 90s and beyond. Most of the shows they do now I don't even bother to watch.

Motown1050
01-30-2018, 01:51 AM
Carolyn Crawford
Chris Clark
Velvelettes
Kim Weston
Brenda Holloway

Ngroove
01-30-2018, 02:37 PM
Barbara Mason
Chuck Jackson
Major Lance
Marv Johnson
Girl Groups - Honey & the Bees, Candy & the Kisses, Royalettes, Apollas, The Fuzz, ect
Early Philadelphia Sound - the Sixties
Brenda and the Tabulations

Sam & Dave - Not as "Unsung" as the rest, but there had been episodes each for Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett. Plus, I wanna hear Sam Moore's story on Atlantic's hold on them over Stax, 1968, and beyond.

the Five Stairsteps

mr_june
01-31-2018, 10:06 AM
Apologies if any of the below have been done. I don't watch Unsung except for running into it on You Tube or reminded by post here.

Archie Bell & The Drells
The Intruders
Mandrill
Bloodstone
Walter Jackson
Major Lance
5 Stair Steps
Brenda & The Tabulations
Sonji Clay
Doo Wop groups
Dione Jackson
Patti Drew
Gene Chandler
Gerald Wilson Orchestra [[didn't see him on the Ken Burns jazz documentary)
Johnny Hammond Smith
Pharoah Sanders

jboy88
01-31-2018, 02:04 PM
Apologies if any of the below have been done. I don't watch Unsung except for running into it on You Tube or reminded by post here.

Archie Bell & The Drells
The Intruders
Mandrill
Bloodstone
Walter Jackson
Major Lance
5 Stair Steps
Brenda & The Tabulations
Sonji Clay
Doo Wop groups
Dione Jackson
Patti Drew
Gene Chandler
Gerald Wilson Orchestra [[didn't see him on the Ken Burns jazz documentary)
Johnny Hammond Smith
Pharoah Sanders

Nope, none of them have been featured yet! Though Gene Chandler was interviewed on the Tammi Terrell episode!