PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Jazz Musician Hugh Masekela Dies at 78

test

sansradio
01-23-2018, 05:47 AM
I had the honor of meeting Mr. Masekela in college. He was a warm, elegant gentleman. RIP to a world music giant.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/legendary-jazz-musician-hugh-masekela-dies-78-article-1.3773390

marv2
01-23-2018, 09:13 AM
I loved Hugh Masekela. His "Grazing in Grass" was a part of the soundtrack of my childhood. Great musician that cannot be replace and will definitely be missed. Rest in peace Mr. Masekela and thank you.

Marv

roger
01-23-2018, 11:34 AM
I heard the sad news an hour or two back on Jazz-FM ... let's not forget that Mr Masekela was for a while signed to Motown ... here is his great version of THE SUPREMES song "You Keep Me Hanging On".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFebaVzPXbE

RIP Hugh Masekela.

Roger

marv2
01-23-2018, 03:45 PM
He and his former wife, Miriam Makeba were two of my favorite international musicians of the 60s.

Jerry Oz
01-23-2018, 04:06 PM
He and his former wife, Miriam Makeba were two of my favorite international musicians of the 60s.Both of them had albums in the '80s that were a welcome relief from much of what I was listening to. I can't remember the name of either, but I have them on cassette and think that I'll dig them out to hear again.

marv2
01-23-2018, 04:19 PM
Both of them had albums in the '80s that were a welcome relief from much of what I was listening to. I can't remember the name of either, but I have them on cassette and think that I'll dig them out to hear again.

I am going to name drop [[as I am known to do LOL). Back in the 80s, while I was in college, Miriam Makeba's then husband, Stokley Carmichael aka Kwame Toure had lunch in my apartment while on campus to give a lecture.

sansradio
01-23-2018, 04:32 PM
Both of them had albums in the '80s that were a welcome relief from much of what I was listening to. I can't remember the name of either, but I have them on cassette and think that I'll dig them out to hear again.

Was the Makeba album Sangoma?

The night I met Mr. Masekela was the night he performed with Miss Makeba at my university. What an incredible concert! [[Miss Makeba was backstage as well when I met Hugh, but she looked so exhausted that I didn't bother her.)

sansradio
01-23-2018, 04:33 PM
I heard the sad news an hour or two back on Jazz-FM ... let's not forget that Mr Masekela was for a while signed to Motown ... here is his great version of THE SUPREMES song "You Keep Me Hanging On".

RIP Hugh Masekela.

Roger

That's right! I could have posted this in the Motown Forum.

sansradio
01-23-2018, 06:51 PM
I would move heaven and earth to have a CD or mp3 of Hugh Masekela Is Alive and Well at The Whiskey, featuring this sparkling gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiq2SnT2HKg

Jerry Oz
01-23-2018, 10:46 PM
Was the Makeba album Sangoma?

The night I met Mr. Masekela was the night he performed with Miss Makeba at my university. What an incredible concert! [[Miss Makeba was backstage as well when I met Hugh, but she looked so exhausted that I didn't bother her.)I think it was Sangoma. And his album was the one with "Bring Back Nelson Mandela". Now that I've thought about it, that song will be in my head all night.

arr&bee
01-24-2018, 01:54 PM
Dang,i was playing-grazin in the grass the other day,great musician..r.i.p.