PDA

View Full Version : What artist[[s) have you never cared for?

test

glencro
01-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Let's keep it respectful. We are all adults here and since this is our personal opinion there's no need for debate. ...Now here goes my list

Mary J Blige
Alicia Keyes
Keith Sweat
Mary Wells
Adele
Xscape
Total
Michael Bolton

sansradio
01-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Brian McKnight
Will Downing
Sam Smith

PeaceNHarmony
01-17-2018, 05:21 PM
An interesting question and difficult to answer. Marvin Gaye has never impressed me but for the WGO era [[saw him live once - snoozeville). For whatever reason I love Mary J's success & longevity but don't care to listen to her. Michael Jackson seems way over-rated and I never bought any of his releases; I think his singing is ... whatever. Lionel Ritchie kinda makes my skin crawl but I saw him open for Tina several times and admit he did a great show. There are a ton that just never rang any bells for me but these are the main big-ones I can think of.

TomatoTom123
01-17-2018, 05:48 PM
Let's keep it respectful. We are all adults here and since this is our personal opinion there's no need for debate. ...Now here goes my list

Mary J Blige
Alicia Keyes
Keith Sweat
Mary Wells
Adele
Xscape
Total
Michael Bolton

Oooo glencro this is dodgy territory, lol

I try and appreciate all artists and there are none that come to mind as me ‘disliking’ although I agree with PNH that Michael seems a bit overrated and Lionel a bit cringy heehee

As far as Motown goes I try and like every single R&B/Soul artist on the label, but I simply cannot get into... The Satintones. I don’t know what it is about them but I just can’t. There you go... I said it. Phew. :p

sansradio
01-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Forgot to add:

Céline Dion and Jennifer Hudson.

Brilliant thread idea, glencro!

Circa 1824
01-17-2018, 07:27 PM
Patti LaBelle , Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand, Gladys Knight, Beyoncé, Adele, Sam smith .... all talented

In a category of the less than talented -Mary Wilson.

PeaceNHarmony
01-17-2018, 08:45 PM
Oooo glencro this is dodgy territory, lol

I try and appreciate all artists and there are none that come to mind as me ‘disliking’ although I agree with PNH that Michael seems a bit overrated and Lionel a bit cringy heehee

As far as Motown goes I try and like every single R&B/Soul artist on the label, but I simply cannot get into... The Satintones. I don’t know what it is about them but I just can’t. There you go... I said it. Phew. :p
Hi Tom. It's a puzzling one to answer; if I were to list EVERY artist that I never bought a record of my list would be endless! So I decided to instead go with the major peeps who had/have long careers but who I considered as 'wtf' and/or just never wanted a record from!

TomatoTom123
01-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Hi Tom. It's a puzzling one to answer; if I were to list EVERY artist that I never bought a record of my list would be endless! So I decided to instead go with the major peeps who had/have long careers but who I considered as 'wtf' and/or just never wanted a record from!

Hi PNH... yea I get you... well-known singers that you just never got into.

I don’t think I could truly ‘dislike’ an artist that I have never even tried to get into if you know what I mean. [[The Satintones, I really tried, honest I did!!) I just don’t know enough of Mary J. Blige's music to say that I actively 'dislike' her.

Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie may not be my most favourite artists but I certainly love some of their songs and have indeed had the urge to buy their records! :)

lakeside
01-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Bob Dylan
Mick Jagger
Janet Jackson
Macy Gray
Rhianna
Billy Holiday
Michael Bolton
Usher

daviddesper
01-18-2018, 12:43 AM
Apparently this question is intended to cover multiple genres, not just soul. If so, I will answer accordingly.

In pop/rock, the ones that I could just never get into would include Kim Carnes and Bonnie Tyler for the same raspy reason, that ghastly Swedish group Blue Swede for completely ruining "Hooked on a Feeling," just about any heavy metal group because generally their lyrics were indecipherable, and with one possible song exception [["Crying"), Roy Orbison. I just never understood the appeal of him, but when I heard K D Lang cover that song, at least I understood its value.

As for soul, this may be tougher since I am a soul music fan. But I should be able to come up with a few that I did not care for. Topping that list would be Minnie Riperton. "Loving You" was abominable, no two ways about it. I also never heard an Al Green song that I really liked. Some were OK but none really moved me. Among the female or mixed groups, I never got into The Ritchie Family. Last but not least, even though I worshiped Motown, I never heard a single Originals' song that I liked.

You will notice that everyone I mentioned goes wayyyy back. That is because I gave up on popular music about 20 years ago. So there could be tons of currently popular people that I would either love or hate, but I just don't know them.

Jerry Oz
01-18-2018, 12:51 AM
Wow, this is a tough one. I'll have to give it some thought but off the top of my head, I can think of how I used to love Rick James' records but never liked [[and almost hated) his voice. I can't explain it.

Also, I was big on Parliament/Funkadelic but was very quietly the one guy in my high school who could not stand Bootsy's records.

phil
01-18-2018, 09:44 AM
A lot ! But I prefer to stay positive and I won't cite nobody. ;o)

Though most of the times I believe their songs/arrangements, etc...are responsible for this.

arr&bee
01-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Umm,ok let's see...lionel richie..larry graham..the beatles.

marv2
01-19-2018, 03:55 PM
This is a tough one. To say NEVER cared for is really hard. There are artists I do not like but have enjoyed some of their music.

motony
01-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Barbara Streisand, barf bag, please.

Bluebrock
01-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Janet Jackson. Bobby Brown. Keith Sweat. Parliament. Beyonce.

arr&bee
01-19-2018, 07:48 PM
I don't care if[beyonce]didn't sing a note..just stand there in one of those sexy outfits and i'm hooked,hehehehe!!

edafan
01-19-2018, 09:31 PM
I won't name the fifties artist, but the artist played the same rhythm on every song.

Can you guess who?

edafan

sansradio
01-19-2018, 09:34 PM
I won't name the fifties artist, but the artist played the same rhythm on every song.

Can you guess who?

edafan

Does their name rhyme with Glow Ridley?

edafan
01-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Does their name rhyme with Glow Ridley?

yes

edafan

sansradio
01-20-2018, 01:51 AM
yes

edafan

Ha! My next guess was gonna be “Fiddle Pritchard.” 😀

marv2
01-20-2018, 02:34 AM
I don't care if[beyonce]didn't sing a note..just stand there in one of those sexy outfits and i'm hooked,hehehehe!!

She can sing, but that is just a extra benefit to liking her if you know what I mean. LOL

splanky
01-20-2018, 08:50 AM
Wow, this is a tough one. I'll have to give it some thought but off the top of my head, I can think of how I used to love Rick James' records but never liked [[and almost hated) his voice. I can't explain it.

Also, I was big on Parliament/Funkadelic but was very quietly the one guy in my high school who could not stand Bootsy's records.

I hadn't intended at first to even bother with this thread because I know nobody will like
everything regardless of how many others do. I mean if we all agreed on everything it'd
be a really boring world, wouldn't it? Bunch of folks just sitting around nodding...Yup...Yup...Uh huh...Yup...Yup... but your comments here, Jerry gave me pause...Especially since Bootsy was so integral to the P Funk sound...I guess I'm trying to
pinpoint your position...You didn't like his vocals? You didn't like the jams or the ballads?
Or both? Another Point of View representing the first and Munchies For You Love, the
latter. I remember Bootsy debuting his Casper voice on Funkadelic's Be My Beach and I
remember us funkaholics being thrilled when he got to lead his own groups but then again, I know not everybody would like or get it. George was lucky as James Brown or
Miles Davis to have had so many talented musicians like Bootsy, Bernie, Maceo, Junie,
Eddie and singers like Gary Shider, Glen Goins, Phillipe Wynne and Jessica Cleaves to be
a part of his organisation at one time or another...
Anyway....I really don't care for 98 percent of rappers after 1996...

Jerry Oz
01-20-2018, 12:39 PM
It was more his voice than anything else. As silly as P-Funk is, songs like Wind Me Up struck me as being kind of lazy. I was definitely in the minority among my friends, so the problem here is with me, not him. Later, I doubled down on this opinion knowing that he was too good of a bassist to effect his sound so much. It's kind of a love/hate thing where I thought he was more stylized than his talent deserved. Curiously, I love his contributions to Parliament.

It took me years to appreciate George Duke because he riffed off of Bootsy in his funk music. But his jazz more than made up for the other stuff.

jboy88
01-20-2018, 01:48 PM
I really couldn’t stand Kesha, until she severed ties with her producer. Not only was he physically and emotionally abusive towards her, but also grossly overproduced and over glossed her material. I wouldn’t be surprised if she hates her early hits as much as I do.

splanky
01-20-2018, 04:20 PM
It was more his voice than anything else. As silly as P-Funk is, songs like Wind Me Up struck me as being kind of lazy. I was definitely in the minority among my friends, so the problem here is with me, not him. Later, I doubled down on this opinion knowing that he was too good of a bassist to effect his sound so much. It's kind of a love/hate thing where I thought he was more stylized than his talent deserved. Curiously, I love his contributions to Parliament.

It took me years to appreciate George Duke because he riffed off of Bootsy in his funk music. But his jazz more than made up for the other stuff.

Gotcha, Jerry...Bootsy's voice was actually never intended to be heard as serious
singing; more like a cartoonish take off of Jimi Hendrix. When he first joined Funkadelic
he was still riffing off James Brown. The Bootsy voice provided comic relief because
earlier a lot of both Parliament and Funkadelic material could get very deep or very dark.
The song you're referring to was Bootzilla, silly as it was lyrically was meant to be fun
and it did what it was supposed to do: hit. George Duke riffed off the whole p-funk sound
but then dozens of other acts reacted to it on record, even folks that had been around before GC hit, like Ben E. King and Gene Chandler. I still miss George Duke...
anyway somebody else I never got was ABBA...

marv2
01-20-2018, 08:07 PM
I never really cared for the band KISS.

jboy88
01-20-2018, 08:30 PM
I never really cared for the band KISS.

Me neither!

Jerry Oz
01-21-2018, 01:44 AM
I never really cared for the band KISS.They had a few hits in the '70s that I really liked. But those songs did not age well at all. I hear them now and realize that there are local bar bands with better chops than KISS had in their golden age. Without a doubt, even the songs that I liked would prompt me to change the station if they came on today.

marv2
01-21-2018, 02:25 AM
They had a few hits in the '70s that I really liked. But those songs did not age well at all. I hear them now and realize that there are local bar bands with better chops than KISS had in their golden age. Without a doubt, even the songs that I liked would prompt me to change the station if they came on today.

I will admit, I like the song "Beth" but I hate Gene Simmons. I also do not care for the band over all.

Jerry Oz
01-21-2018, 06:53 PM
I will admit, I like the song "Beth" but I hate Gene Simmons. I also do not care for the band over all.In my opinion, they were a flash in the pan. They filled stadiums at the height of their popularity but pale in comparison with bands like Journey, Chicago, and Queen. To say nothing about other stadium filling rock groups like the Stones, Beatles, the Who, and Pink Floyd.

Beth was easily their best song and that's because it wasn't typical for their output. I Want To Rock and Roll All Night was big in the day but now sounds as dated and cheesy as '70s tripe like Telephone Man, Disco Duck, and Saturday Night.

Roberta75
01-21-2018, 11:55 PM
I dont care for Gladys knight or Mariah Carey or Billy Davis or Christina Aguilera.

Boogiedown
01-22-2018, 03:36 AM
I like this thread!
Kind of gives you an idea of others variable tastes.
There are a lot of acts that I've never bought their music or liked their output overall, but I wouldn't list them here because it's not an absolute. There's a song here or a song there by them that works for me.

Acts I flat out don't like [[unlistenable) : Red Hot Chili Peppers, Styx , Ted Nugent , Billy Joel, any/all rap "artists".

Jerry Oz
01-22-2018, 02:43 PM
I've liked a lot of the Red Hot Chili Peppers since their collaboration with George Clinton. I like Styx [[with the exception of "Mr. Roboto", which was pure awfulness) and most Billy Joel. But I hate Ted Nugent's music as much as I hate his politics. Can't stand Britney Spears among a lot of today's generic and over-produced "talent".

I hate to admit it, but I was never a big fan of TLC or a lot of LaFace's stable of acts. Among jazz artists, I was never as big a fan of Weather Report as I should have been. Beyond Birdland, their music was just too avant garde and experimental for me. I also had a hard time digesting Jon-Luc Ponti's music although it's easier to listen to now.

144man
01-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Barbara Streisand, barf bag, please.

Have you heard her "Love Breakdown"? Almost sounds like Motown.

144man
01-22-2018, 03:15 PM
I've never really cared for Prince apart from the occasional single like "1999" and "Little Red Corvette".

mr_june
01-22-2018, 03:46 PM
I'm finding it easy to name the artist that I like but hard to remember the singers/groups I do not like. Also, it would be interesting to hear why you don't like the person or group.

Michael Jackson nor the J5: None of his/their stuff stood out enough for me to tape them off the radio [[cassette days) let along buy any of their music.

The Beatles: Never understood their allure besides later on being great songwriters.

There is a black group who's name I can't recall. They almost wound up Gamble & Huff but didn't [[not the Dells). Their lead singer reminds me of the day [[30 years ago) I came home and and saw an old guy sitting in the hall way. It turned out his wife had put him out and he sat there making this whinny sound. That's what the their lead singer sounds like.

98% of today's artist cause most of them tend to sound alike especially the women. Instead of sounding like the individuals that God made them, they choose to adapt this lightweight type of singing voice. It's one thing to copy a sound or style but when just about everybody jumps in the same pool it's clone city.

Ricky Martin [[somebody got some splaining to do about how he got famous)

I use to not like Marvin Gaye [[except for his duets) in his early days at Motown but realized that I was wrong about him. Another topic for a good thread would be on who did you eventually come around to.

There is more but I can't think of the names.

glencro
01-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Mary J Blige
Alicia Keyes
Keith Sweat
Mary Wells
Adele
Xscape
Total
Michael Bolton

Enjoying the comments. The artists that I listed I just did not like their vocals. Mary has little vocal control and is pitchy at times. Alicia puts the O in OK, Keith is nasally and whiny, Mary Wells voice was also whiny to me; Adele is just ok. I don't understand all the hoopla about her [[Teena Marie would've sung her under a car); Xscape and Total sound like little children and Michael Bolton's voice was not as soulful to me as the public gave him credit for

luke
01-25-2018, 12:20 AM
Billy Joel[[I cringe), Janet Jackson[[ I don’t get it), Phil Collins [[sappy except for Easy lover with Philip Bailey), ... I saw Sysa[[sp?)on Saturday night live...don’t get it at all.

marv2
01-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Other than that song "Rolling In the Deep", I never cared for Adele. She is all hype. She is visible [[to me) only during TV award season and then goes back into hibernation for the rest of the year.

Jerry Oz
01-25-2018, 05:05 PM
I agree, Marv. To me, Adele it's one of those artists with undeniably great talent but whose songs are a lot of tedium for me. I listen to her records once and appreciate them somewhat, but never want to play them again. Better as background music than something that I want to hear, I guess.

marv2
01-26-2018, 12:23 AM
I agree, Marv. To me, Adele it's one of those artists with undeniably great talent but whose songs are a lot of tedium for me. I listen to her records once and appreciate them somewhat, but never want to play them again. Better as background music than something that I want to hear, I guess.

It all just makes me miss and appreciate Whitney Houston more.

Jerry Oz
01-26-2018, 12:46 AM
It all just makes me miss and appreciate Whitney Houston more.So, did Whitney make it easy for her producers, did they make it easy for her, or was it just a perfect situation for all involved? Personally, she had more good songs than anybody while singing them better than anyone else could. Truly a generational talent.

PeaceNHarmony
01-26-2018, 05:04 PM
I'll add Janet to my list; the recent picture of herself and her cheeks reminded me of her. Always seems like an ok person & her records are fun for dancin' but her voice is nothing and both of her dance moves are reductive.

marv2
01-26-2018, 05:58 PM
So, did Whitney make it easy for her producers, did they make it easy for her, or was it just a perfect situation for all involved? Personally, she had more good songs than anybody while singing them better than anyone else could. Truly a generational talent.

Whitney Houston was a dream especially in the first 10 years of her national career. Not only did she record some of the most timeless songs that not only defined a decade, but a generation. She also toured, appeared on television fairly regularly and acted in movies. There are tons of video of what I am saying on Youtube. She was probably that last true, great music star.

Jerry Oz
01-27-2018, 12:41 AM
I agree. In my opinion, Whitney and Luther were the two singers of my generation who stand out above all others. Both had control of their voices to the point that every note was inflected. I put them up in the category of Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, and Dinah Washington as all-time greats. I'm almost pissed off that they're gone.

luke
01-29-2018, 10:50 AM
I wondered what it would have been like had Whitney ventured into more of a blues/ soul sound. Could she do that with her voice?

marv2
01-29-2018, 10:59 AM
I wondered what it would have been like had Whitney ventured into more of a blues/ soul sound. Could she do that with her voice?

She could have and it would have sounded great. She came out of the church. She veered that way with "I'm Your Baby Tonight".

detmotownguy
01-29-2018, 04:23 PM
Whitney Houston was a dream especially in the first 10 years of her national career. Not only did she record some of the most timeless songs that not only defined a decade, but a generation. She also toured, appeared on television fairly regularly and acted in movies. There are tons of video of what I am saying on Youtube. She was probably that last true, great music star.
I would agree with you Marv. Whitney did it all! Sounded great on the radio and of course live. Really miss her star quality. She really had the talent.

marv2
01-29-2018, 09:18 PM
I would agree with you Marv. Whitney did it all! Sounded great on the radio and of course live. Really miss her star quality. She really had the talent.

We may need to start a Whitney thread. LOL!

Jerry Oz
01-29-2018, 09:44 PM
Do you suppose anybody doesn't care for her music? Nobody is loved by everybody. I can imagine some folks being let down with how she eventually came to live her life, but I wonder if there's anybody who listens to Whitney's songs and thinks that she was in any way overrated?

marv2
01-29-2018, 10:00 PM
Do you suppose anybody doesn't care for her music? Nobody is loved by everybody. I can imagine some folks being let down with how she eventually came to live her life, but I wonder if there's anybody who listens to Whitney's songs and thinks that she was in any way overrated?

Heck, even my Daddy liked Whitney Houston's music. Are you kidding me? LOL!

Jerry Oz
01-30-2018, 12:41 AM
Heck, even my Daddy liked Whitney Houston's music. Are you kidding me? LOL!LOL. What was I thinking? But we all know those contrary people who don't like anything that somebody else thinks is fantastic. You know, how when they said 96% of black women in Alabama voted for Doug Jones against Roy Moore? That means 4 out of 100 sistas just had to be ignorant. Bet they'd rather listen to Kathy Lee Gifford over Whitney Houston.

marv2
01-30-2018, 12:54 AM
LOL. What was I thinking? But we all know those contrary people who don't like anything that somebody else thinks is fantastic. You know, how when they said 96% of black women in Alabama voted for Doug Jones against Roy Moore? That means 4 out of 100 sistas just had to be ignorant. Bet they'd rather listen to Kathy Lee Gifford over Whitney Houston.

Now Jerry I hear you with that one. There are a few people like that out there. There may have been some people that did not like Whitney, but they could not deny that she could SANG! She sang so good she could make a grown man cry. Where are those types of singers now? Luther was just masterful. He was into his music and it showed whenever he sang a song. Those two were students of the old school legends that believed in bringing down the house every opportunity they got!

144man
01-30-2018, 01:02 PM

I'm afraid I have a friend who thinks she used to shout instead of sing.

Jerry Oz
01-30-2018, 06:43 PM
I'm afraid I have a friend who thinks she used to shout instead of sing.I knew it! There's one in every crowd!

Jerry Oz
01-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Now Jerry I hear you with that one. There are a few people like that out there. There may have been some people that did not like Whitney, but they could not deny that she could SANG! She sang so good she could make a grown man cry. Where are those types of singers now? Luther was just masterful. He was into his music and it showed whenever he sang a song. Those two were students of the old school legends that believed in bringing down the house every opportunity they got!Marv, she sang "The Star Spangled Banner" to open the Super Bowl and made it a top record. Marvin didn't even do that.

marv2
01-30-2018, 08:57 PM
I knew it! There's one in every crowd!

You mean a tone deaf person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa3tfVjGCQ8

marv2
01-30-2018, 08:58 PM
Marv, she sang "The Star Spangled Banner" to open the Super Bowl and made it a top record. Marvin didn't even do that.

They still play Whitney's version everyday at noon on the radio in New York. She was an artist for the ages and we hardly knew.

Jerry Oz
01-31-2018, 12:47 AM
You mean a tone deaf person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa3tfVjGCQ8Actually, one asshole who just has to be on the opposite side of consensus. Just like how no baseball player ever went into the Hall of Fame with 100% of voters voting for him. Think about that for a second... Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, and Ted Williams all had some know-it-all who didn't think they should be in the hall with the greatest players of all time. If somebody ever tries to suggest that Whitney Houston was not everything and more that she's said to be, I'm changing the subject so I don't cuss him out.

Ngroove
01-31-2018, 01:00 AM
Pat Boone
Wild Cherry
Macy Gray
TLC
Britney Spears
Ricky Martin

85% of the British Invasion, and the "hippie" side of the sixties.
75% of Bobby Womack, 75% of Isley Brothers, post 1968 for both.

99% of all new singers, and all new songs, 2001+.

The only "Boy Band" in the solely made for pop charts teenage girls' $$$ sense I find listenable, even downright fun to sing along with sometimes, is New Kids on the Block.

Completely cannot stand Men Without Hat's "the Safety Dance".

Myself a total Motown nut, from the big names, to the small, I don't care for Georgio, MC Brains, Profyle, or anyone who sung from their Country subsidiaries, such as Melodyland and T.G. Sheppard, because I am not into Country, although I could appreciate a decent Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, or Johnny Cash.

I am also not a Metal listener, 90% of Rock and all its subgenres, post 1963, neither do I care much for Contemporary Christian, but I do highly enjoy Gospel.

While I could put on my dislike list rappers by the hundreds, the only rap and rap artists I enjoy / respect is more on the party dance beat aspect, ex. MC Hammer, Heavy D and the Boyz, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince / Will Smith, Sugarhill Gang, Fat Boys, Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks", Treacherous Three's "The Body Rock", World's Famous Supreme Team's "Hey DJ", 69 Boyz' "Tootsee Roll", Tag Team's "Whoomp There It Is".

Bluebrock
01-31-2018, 10:01 AM
I know several people who didn't care for her voice. Some within the business, others outside of it. You are never going to find an artist universally loved by everyone. A former colleague of mine claimed that she oversang. UK radio host Ken Bruce is not a great fan.
I thought she was THE female voice of the 80's , but she will never be in my top 5 female singers of all time. I loved her voice and what she could do with it, but there are others that i prefered and still do. It was a crying shame that she didn't take care of her voice and indeed herself. We were deprived of some potentially great music. I think she would have probably moved on to standards had she lived. She could have made a great job of the American songbook, and i think she could have made some great jazzy stuff too. Sadly we will never know.

mr_june
01-31-2018, 10:12 AM
I'll add Anita Baker to the list. I didn't like her voice or songs.

Jerry Oz
01-31-2018, 04:02 PM
I think she would have probably moved on to standards had she lived. She could have made a great job of the American songbook, and i think she could have made some great jazzy stuff too. Sadly we will never know.With what she did with Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, it chills me to imagine what she could have done singing standards with good production. Ella Fitzgerald took the American songbooks to a wonderful level that I don't think anybody could match. I would love to hear Whitney at her finest reimagining standards as long as it didn't come off as a cover record. She had a theatrical voice anyway, so there are tons of songs that I think she could have absolutely blown away.

marv2
01-31-2018, 06:32 PM
Actually, one asshole who just has to be on the opposite side of consensus. Just like how no baseball player ever went into the Hall of Fame with 100% of voters voting for him. Think about that for a second... Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, and Ted Williams all had some know-it-all who didn't think they should be in the hall with the greatest players of all time. If somebody ever tries to suggest that Whitney Houston was not everything and more that she's said to be, I'm changing the subject so I don't cuss him out.

You make good points Jerry. I just can't think of another female vocalist during the 80s,90s and early 00s that was better. I first heard her on the radio as a solo while stuck on some bridge in traffic in Cleveland, Ohio. It was March of 1985. I was pissed off sitting there and then this voice, this song came on the radio "You Give Good Love" and I was like, "Whoa......who is that"?" to myself LOL! You know that she must have made a big impact on me for me to remember this much detail. I was a fan from that moment on.

marv2
01-31-2018, 06:35 PM
With what she did with Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, it chills me to imagine what she could have done singing standards with good production. Ella Fitzgerald took the American songbooks to a wonderful level that I don't think anybody could match. I would love to hear Whitney at her finest reimagining standards as long as it didn't come off as a cover record. She had a theatrical voice anyway, so there are tons of songs that I think she could have absolutely blown away.

She took George Benson's "The Greatest Love of All" and turned it into an anthem! I loved the original, but I came to like her version too. Whitney created her own standards. She added to the "Great American Songbook".

Jerry Oz
01-31-2018, 08:22 PM
She took George Benson's "The Greatest Love of All" and turned it into an anthem! I loved the original, but I came to like her version too. Whitney created her own standards. She added to the "Great American Songbook".The only thing about her contribution is that nobody is going to have the figurative balls to sing "Saving All My Love For You", "You Give Good Love", "Exhale" or "All The Man That I Need" for fear of not being able to touch the original versions. She even made the definitive versions of "Greatest Love Of All", "I'm Every Woman", and "I Will Always Love You". I'm not giving her credit for "I Believe In You And Me" because I'm too much of a Levi Stubbs fan. But you get my point, she was special.

marv2
01-31-2018, 10:22 PM
The only thing about her contribution is that nobody is going to have the figurative balls to sing "Saving All My Love For You", "You Give Good Love", "Exhale" or "All The Man That I Need" for fear of not being able to touch the original versions. She even made the definitive versions of "Greatest Love Of All", "I'm Every Woman", and "I Will Always Love You". I'm not giving her credit for "I Believe In You And Me" because I'm too much of a Levi Stubbs fan. But you get my point, she was special.

I felt embarrassed for Jennifer Hudson who had to sing "I Will Always Love You" at the Grammys in 2012 as a tribute to Whitney. She just couldn't cut it.

Loved Levi's lead vocal on that one too. He is another singer that had no peer in my opinion. He could take a bubblegum song like The Monkee's "I'm A Believer" and give it soul and make you believe he originated the song LOL! I knew him and other than that voice, I will miss his humor! He could have easily been a comedian along the lines of a Bill Cosby or even Richard Pryor after a few beers. hehehehehehe! God Bless them all.

Jerry Oz
02-01-2018, 12:22 AM
The reason I mentioned him for singing that song and not the Tops is because it was essentially a solo record. I honestly think he should have been nominated for an Oscar for his role in "Little Shop of Horrors". Love that dude's voice and I'm jealous of you.

And I refused to watch Lifetime's Whitney Houston biopic. I heard Deborah Cox did a good job singing the songs but I haven't listened to any of what she produced.

Bluebrock
02-01-2018, 04:32 AM
The reason I mentioned him for singing that song and not the Tops is because it was essentially a solo record. I honestly think he should have been nominated for an Oscar for his role in "Little Shop of Horrors". Love that dude's voice and I'm jealous of you.

And I refused to watch Lifetime's Whitney Houston biopic. I heard Deborah Cox did a good job singing the songs but I haven't listened to any of what she produced.
Deborah Cox is a mighty fine singer, but she isn't Whitney. I haven't heard her versions on Lifetime's biopic either. Maybe one day.....

Bluebrock
02-01-2018, 04:34 AM
With what she did with Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, it chills me to imagine what she could have done singing standards with good production. Ella Fitzgerald took the American songbooks to a wonderful level that I don't think anybody could match. I would love to hear Whitney at her finest reimagining standards as long as it didn't come off as a cover record. She had a theatrical voice anyway, so there are tons of songs that I think she could have absolutely blown away.
I agree about Ella. No-one will ever do the songbooks better than that great lady, but i am sure Whitney at her vocal peak would have done one hell of a fine job. It is so sad that we will never get to find out.

glencro
02-01-2018, 04:51 PM
Pat Boone
Wild Cherry
Macy Gray
TLC
Britney Spears
Ricky Martin

85% of the British Invasion, and the "hippie" side of the sixties.
75% of Bobby Womack, 75% of Isley Brothers, post 1968 for both.

99% of all new singers, and all new songs, 2001+.

The only "Boy Band" in the solely made for pop charts teenage girls' $$$ sense I find listenable, even downright fun to sing along with sometimes, is New Kids on the Block.

Completely cannot stand Men Without Hat's "the Safety Dance".

Myself a total Motown nut, from the big names, to the small, I don't care for Georgio, MC Brains, Profyle, or anyone who sung from their Country subsidiaries, such as Melodyland and T.G. Sheppard, because I am not into Country, although I could appreciate a decent Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, or Johnny Cash.

I am also not a Metal listener, 90% of Rock and all its subgenres, post 1963, neither do I care much for Contemporary Christian, but I do highly enjoy Gospel.

While I could put on my dislike list rappers by the hundreds, the only rap and rap artists I enjoy / respect is more on the party dance beat aspect, ex. MC Hammer, Heavy D and the Boyz, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince / Will Smith, Sugarhill Gang, Fat Boys, Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks", Treacherous Three's "The Body Rock", World's Famous Supreme Team's "Hey DJ", 69 Boyz' "Tootsee Roll", Tag Team's "Whoomp There It Is".

Very thorough lol

sansradio
02-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Forgot to mention Janis Joplin.

Jerry Oz
02-01-2018, 10:01 PM
I was a bigger fan of Jefferson Airplane than I was of Grace Slick. Sadly, I was not a fan of the Commodores' post-Lionel Ritchie output [[or LTD's post-Jeffrey Osborne records). And even though I love a lot of New Edition songs, there's not a single from Ralph Tresvant or BBD that I like. Interestingly, I have a bunch of Johnny Gill records high on my list and Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel might as well be his greatest hits collection because it was fantastic, even though he has all of the singing talent of a corpse with a tone deaf frog caught in its throat. But that record was great in spite of him.

Jerry Oz
02-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Also, it took me until my 20s to start appreciating Little Richard and my 40s to fall in love with Jimi Hendrix.

Boogiedown
02-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Add Peabo Bryson , which also brings to mind Freddie Jackson. [[ I'm sure they're wonderful at what they do. I'm just not into schmaltz liquor)

jboy88
02-01-2018, 11:07 PM
Forgot to mention Janis Joplin.

Couldn’t agree more! Totally overrated.

sophisticated_soul
02-01-2018, 11:55 PM
Michael Bolton

Jerry Oz
02-02-2018, 12:31 AM
Couldn’t agree more! Totally overrated.
I can't say why, but it used to irritate me that she was considered to be a blues artist. I love all sorts of blues but I was never a Joplin fan.

Jerry Oz
02-02-2018, 12:33 AM
Michael Bolton Never liked him. Not when he had long hair and tried to be a rock star and not when it fell out and he tried to be a pop and [[shudder) soul artist. As vanilla as it comes [[not meant in a racial context).

marv2
02-02-2018, 05:52 AM
I was a bigger fan of Jefferson Airplane than I was of Grace Slick. Sadly, I was not a fan of the Commodores' post-Lionel Ritchie output [[or LTD's post-Jeffrey Osborne records). And even though I love a lot of New Edition songs, there's not a single from Ralph Tresvant or BBD that I like. Interestingly, I have a bunch of Johnny Gill records high on my list and Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel might as well be his greatest hits collection because it was fantastic, even though he has all of the singing talent of a corpse with a tone deaf frog caught in its throat. But that record was great in spite of him.

When that album, "Don't Be Cruel" came out You couldn't have a party without playing it! The next year when he followed up with the theme from "Ghostbusters" "On Our Own", Bobby Brown was the top male solo act even if it was for a brief moment. I liked most of his stuff.

marv2
02-02-2018, 05:53 AM
Never liked him. Not when he had long hair and tried to be a rock star and not when it fell out and he tried to be a pop and [[shudder) soul artist. As vanilla as it comes [[not meant in a racial context).

Michael Bolton's music gives me a headache. I'll take one Steve Winwood for two Michael Boltons. LOL!!!!

luke
02-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Michael McDonald’s tonal changes/bleating are irritating IMO tho I liked On My Own. I think Whitney Houston was so good it’s almost difficult to fathom for some people. Some of recordings were too pop for me.

marv2
02-02-2018, 09:44 PM
Michael McDonald’s tonal changes/bleating are irritating IMO tho I liked On My Own. I think Whitney Houston was so good it’s almost difficult to fathom for some people. Some of recordings were too pop for me.

Michael McDonald and Anita Baker both sounded like they were trying to sing with a mouth full of cotton at times. You could not always make out the lyrics. LOL!

sansradio
02-02-2018, 09:48 PM
Michael McDonald and Anita Baker both sounded like they were trying to sing with a mouth full of cotton at times. You could not always make out the lyrics. LOL!

Patti Austin swears up and down that they’re the same person: “When you see Anita and she be whippin’ that skirt around...that’s ‘cause Michael’s up under there.” 😀

luke
02-02-2018, 09:54 PM
OMG lol. It sounds like affectation to me

sansradio
02-02-2018, 09:56 PM
OMG lol. It sounds like affectation to me

HA! Got another PATTI AUSTIN LIVE fan on board, I see!

Jerry Oz
02-02-2018, 11:10 PM
When that album, "Don't Be Cruel" came out You couldn't have a party without playing it! The next year when he followed up with the theme from "Ghostbusters" "On Our Own", Bobby Brown was the top male solo act even if it was for a brief moment. I liked most of his stuff.I was shocked when "Don't Be Cruel" was so good because I remember his earlier album with songs produced by Larry Blackmon [[one of my all-time favorite artists). That record was like a sonic colonoscopy. Teddy Riley and LaFace worked true magic on his sophomore record. Every single song on that album was played on local radio. To this day, I don't know which ones were actually released.

gordy_hunk
02-03-2018, 08:03 AM
Most of the artists who have a very powerful voice [[Adele, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and after about 1989, Whitney Houston).

Focusing on more soul music - Smokey Robinson [[with very, very few exceptions "tell me tomorrow" and "who's gonna take the blame"); James Brown; Ohio Players.

Non-soul: Elvis Presley [[I never understood why he was considered to be good); Oasis; Bob Dylan; Prince; Bryan Adams; John Lennon; Blondie; The Osmonds.

phil
02-03-2018, 08:47 AM
Also, it took me until my 20s to start appreciating Little Richard and my 40s to fall in love with Jimi Hendrix.

Hey Jerry, better late than never ! ;o)

About Janis Joplin I can see your points, but you should watch "Janis" the excellent documentary on her : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0755ms6

Then you'll understand why "she's got the blues"

Cincinnati_Kid
02-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Patti La Belle. IMHO, she does more screaming than actual singing.