PDA

View Full Version : Four Tops - My Fatherless Son. One of the most heartbreaking songs ever

test

TomorrowHappened
01-17-2018, 08:03 AM
Songs that can emotionally resonate or can stir up emotions with someone like this are not easy to find. This easily should have been released back in the 60s, and is another reason why Levi Stubbs will always be one of the best.

I don't know why the youtube user has the artist has Levi Stubbs/Four Tops, but yeah...this song really breaks my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PliMyrh7O9g

Fourtopsbiggestfan
01-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Absolutely brilliant. No excuse why Motown didn't release this. As always they have a lot to be ashamed and embarrassed of not releasing.

marv2
01-17-2018, 09:04 AM
I bet that there are a lot of unreleased Four Tops material.

jobucats
01-17-2018, 09:11 AM
Marv 2, yes, this is a powerful performance by the 4 Tops. Regarding the Levi Stubbs/Four Tops reference, the YouTube user probably did it innocently not realizing that even Levi would totally disapprove of the group being named like that. I wonder if he would be offended if I gently brought it to his attention via YouTube.

luckyluckyme
01-17-2018, 09:18 AM
I loved this song from the moment I first heard it on the 2nd Four Tops Lost & Found collection. However, I've also wished it had a different mix. At times the excellent female background vocals are in competition with Levi's powerful, heart-wrenching lead, forcing me to strain to hear the song's lyrics.

RanRan79
01-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Levi was a vocal beast. I usually don't care for songs where people die in the lyric, so this isn't one I would play often. But Levi, the Andantes and the track are fantastic. I'm assuming the person who uploaded the vid singled Levi out in the title because there doesn't appear to be any other Top to be found on this recording. That might also be the reason it was ultimately shelved. It never got Tops background vocals. It's essentially a Levi solo record. Gives you an idea of what Levi may have sounded like had he decided to go solo [[apart from his Little Shop of Horrors recordings).

marv2
01-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Marv 2, yes, this is a powerful performance by the 4 Tops. Regarding the Levi Stubbs/Four Tops reference, the YouTube user probably did it innocently not realizing that even Levi would totally disapprove of the group being named like that. I wonder if he would be offended if I gently brought it to his attention via YouTube.

It's not that big of a deal as it is the Four Tops unlike people labeling "Supremes" records "Diana Ross & the Supremes" when the music was recorded as "The Supremes". I knew Levi and I am sure he would have wanted presented as the group and not with his name out front like that.

marv2
01-17-2018, 12:57 PM
Levi was a vocal beast. I usually don't care for songs where people die in the lyric, so this isn't one I would play often. But Levi, the Andantes and the track are fantastic. I'm assuming the person who uploaded the vid singled Levi out in the title because there doesn't appear to be any other Top to be found on this recording. That might also be the reason it was ultimately shelved. It never got Tops background vocals. It's essentially a Levi solo record. Gives you an idea of what Levi may have sounded like had he decided to go solo [[apart from his Little Shop of Horrors recordings).

Levi Stubbs was the best in terms of male vocalists in my opinion and he gets ZERO recognition for his talents because he was a member of a group [[a group of great vocalists also.). That Ebony Magazine tribute to the great male singers did not even mention Levi Stubbs which to me is a crime!

marv2
01-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Levi's son Levi Jr. is a friend of mine. I wonder if he's heard this recording.

TomatoTom123
01-17-2018, 03:27 PM

I didn’t even think of that jobu, but now you mention it Levi would indeed disapprove. However, the poster seems to be a big fan of Levi and wants to give him some recognition.

The poster's ‘about’ page reads:
Please have a listen to the playlist by Levi Stubbs, while visiting, the man is an unbelievable singer, and as he's only known for the mainstream hits, as the Four Tops, he never gets the credit or recognition he deserves!!

Motown4Ever518
01-17-2018, 05:52 PM
TomorrowHappened, Thank you for posting. A good record. Sensational vocal by Mr. Stubbs!

daviddesper
01-18-2018, 12:48 AM
I just recently heard this song and liked it very much. Didn't they do another song with the same general message? I think it was called "Barbara's Boy" or something like that.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
01-18-2018, 02:45 AM
I just recently heard this song and liked it very much. Didn't they do another song with the same general message? I think it was called "Barbara's Boy" or something like that.

Yep Barbara's Boy. A song about questioning who the actual father of Barbara's son is. A paternity song as I say.

jaybs
01-18-2018, 07:35 AM
As Ever Levi delivers from The Heart & Soul, feel sure there must be more material in the Vaults, plenty may have missed out on the 2nd Lost & Found Collection.

jobucats
01-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Absolutely brilliant. No excuse why Motown didn't release this. As always they have a lot to be ashamed and embarrassed of not releasing.

And Motown, collectively, has MORE for which to be proud!

Fourtopsbiggestfan
01-18-2018, 11:39 AM
And Motown, collectively, has MORE for which to be proud!
More shame for Motown than proudness. All the great songs that didn't get released and easily could've been. Just make another album. SHAME SHAME SHAME

Circa 1824
01-18-2018, 12:03 PM
For my ears, there is too much shout-singing.

jobucats
01-18-2018, 12:06 PM
More shame for Motown than proudness. All the great songs that didn't get released and easily could've been. Just make another album. SHAME SHAME SHAME
I can see from your passionate response and name that you are a Tops fan [[the biggest one....I love that). I also love the Tops [[second to my favorite, the Supremes), however, in my opinion, it might be unfair to throw Motown under the bus in shame. Motown was such a great, creative, working machine which seemed, at one point, could hardly release a terrible recording, whether released or not. I agree with you in that so many songs in the vaults were worthy of at least album exposure if not single exposure. I would also surmise that a company would not think it wise to oversaturate the market with too many recordings by an artist or group just because the recording was good. Did some songs get released while others stayed hidden? Yes, however, people who were more knowledgable than me sometimes had to gamble on what to release and what not to release. Shame on Motown? Never. Unhappy that certain songs were not released? Yes

By the way, another Four Tops song which stayed hidden for a long time that I especially thought was single worthy was Ivy Hunter's production of "Your Love is Wonderful." Maybe some key folk were absent that day when this song was presented in Quality Control.

If there's any shame to be put out there, why was Motown so GOOD?

FourTopsFourever!!!

snakepit
01-18-2018, 01:14 PM
For my ears, there is too much shout-singing.

I agree. As much as I love the Four Tops, I feel Motown got it wrong after HDH Left.
HDH had a knack of recording Levi with a "straining" voice, but had a way of setting it in great melodic tunes.
After HDH, many of Motown's producers seemed to feel the need to have Levi shouting.
I feel that they should have gone down the route of recording him on slower, tuneful ballads. It's no accident that post HDH , their best records, and most successful ones, were slower ballads like "Still Water", "Yesterday's Dreams", "Do what you gotta do" etc.
I love the Four Tops , but much of their post HDH tracks is difficult to listen to,
IMO of course.

snakepit
01-18-2018, 01:16 PM
I can see from your passionate response and name that you are a Tops fan [[the biggest one....I love that). I also love the Tops [[second to my favorite, the Supremes), however, in my opinion, it might be unfair to throw Motown under the bus in shame. Motown was such a great, creative, working machine which seemed, at one point, could hardly release a terrible recording, whether released or not. I agree with you in that so many songs in the vaults were worthy of at least album exposure if not single exposure. I would also surmise that a company would not think it wise to oversaturate the market with too many recordings by an artist or group just because the recording was good. Did some songs get released while others stayed hidden? Yes, however, people who were more knowledgable than me sometimes had to gamble on what to release and what not to release. Shame on Motown? Never. Unhappy that certain songs were not released? Yes

By the way, another Four Tops song which stayed hidden for a long time that I especially thought was single worthy was Ivy Hunter's production of "Your Love is Wonderful." Maybe some key folk were absent that day when this song was presented in Quality Control.

If there's any shame to be put out there, why was Motown so GOOD?

FourTopsFourever!!!

Hear hear...well said. They couldn't release everything could they..some mistakes made no doubt.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
01-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Hear hear...well said. They couldn't release everything could they..some mistakes made no doubt.
But they released albums with more covers than original songs. The original songs should've taken priority. Or release a whole other album which should've been done.

snakepit
01-18-2018, 08:06 PM
I agree...100% jobete would have suited me.

Boogiedown
01-19-2018, 01:20 AM
That's was interesting !!:cool: More twists than a plot on AS THE WORLD TURNS .

I feel sorry for Levi though , trying to maneuver so much wordiness into that arrangement!

Too many writers ??

Written By – Vernon Bullock-John Bristol-Jack Goga-Pam Sawyer

lol!!

[[https://www.discogs.com/artist/430173-Vernon-Bullock)

jobucats
01-19-2018, 11:59 AM
I agree...100% jobete would have suited me.

Yea, snakepit, although there were some covers which I really, really liked [[such as "If I Were a Carpenter", "Walk Away, Renee"), I always looked forward to the in-company songs which I knew would be so creative and fresh.

Sidenote: I am literally laughing now as I proofread my post and discovered that autocorrect had typed 'snakebite' instead of 'snakepit." LOL Glad I caught it!

snakepit
01-19-2018, 05:59 PM
Yes
Snakebite is an alcohic drink.,usually with cider.

marv2
01-19-2018, 06:02 PM
Yes
Snakebite is an alcohic drink.,usually with cider.

Hey Snakepit how are you doing? Are you still producing your radio programs?

snakepit
01-19-2018, 06:11 PM
No Marv,
Lack of interest I'm affraid.
Had an interview with a local radio station...I was offered a show but thought about the potential interest for soul show..and decided that it wasn't worth the effort.
That was a difficult decision ....I've been involved with soul music since 1967...

marv2
01-19-2018, 06:13 PM
No Marv,
Lack of interest I'm affraid.
Had an interview with a local radio station...I was offered a show but thought about the potential interest for soul show..and decided that it wasn't worth the effort.
That was a difficult decision ....I've been involved with soul music since 1967...

I hate that you stopped too, but I understand. My friend that use to be a member here, Classic Master stopped his soul music program too. I just thought that because it is VERY Winter here and other places right now that there would be more of an listen audience.

Motown Eddie
01-20-2018, 07:36 AM
Fantastic song. I agree with other posters that "My Fatherless Son" would've made a good LP cut [[and at a time when The Four Tops needed a big hit single on Motown after the departure of HDH, it might've delivered the goods).

midnightman
01-23-2018, 08:33 PM
Motown was scared of releasing material like this... they only wanted to release "feel good, radio friendly" songs. It was only later that they decided to go more cutting edge [["Cloud Nine", "Love Child", "Grapevine", etc., songs that obviously didn't fit the norm of what Motown had released beforehand).

Fourtopsbiggestfan
01-24-2018, 01:14 AM
They'll release outside the norm material on the supremes and Marvin and the Temptations but not the Tops? HE is crazy.

snakepit
01-24-2018, 04:58 AM
With this track and Barbara's boy, it seems somebody at Motown thought they could do a ' Love Child' on the tops.

midnightman
01-24-2018, 09:18 AM
They'll release outside the norm material on the supremes and Marvin and the Temptations but not the Tops? HE is crazy.

Berry probably saw the Four Tops as his "pop-friendly" group despite the fact they started out in jazz and they ended up doing psychedelic/progressive soul music by the dawn of the '70s. I say with Levi's voice, they were suited to cross over to rock and roll since he had that TYPE of voice imho.

Circa 1824
01-24-2018, 09:56 AM
With this track and Barbara's boy, it seems somebody at Motown thought they could do a ' Love Child' on the tops.

Diana effectively sang the lyrics to love child and I’m living in shame. There was no shouting to convey message or feeling.

snakepit
01-24-2018, 10:32 AM
I was thinking about lyrical content....nothing to do with Diana Ross vocals.
Child born out of wedlock.
Child with unknown father
Social messages....

midnightman
01-24-2018, 12:26 PM
They were still controversial songs. Shoot, Love Child was nearly never released because of the content.

Also the Temptations had a forceful lead singer like Dennis Edwards, so it wasn't that.

The Four Tops were more of a supper act than the Tempts at this point. The Tempts were already seen as more a little rough around the edges so them singing a song that was rumored to be about drug use [[weed/LSD) seemed fitting for them than it did the Four Tops.

I'm assuming Motown was struggling to see what they can do with the Tops after HDH had left.

Encyclopedia Mack
02-01-2018, 09:56 AM
Levi Stubbs was the best in terms of male vocalists in my opinion and he gets ZERO recognition for his talents because he was a member of a group [[a group of great vocalists also.). That Ebony Magazine tribute to the great male singers did not even mention Levi Stubbs which to me is a crime!

I agree. It was shameful that Levi wasn't included on that list. But like you said group members [[especially those that never went solo) get over looked.

Encyclopedia Mack
02-01-2018, 10:02 AM
They were still controversial songs. Shoot, Love Child was nearly never released because of the content.

Also the Temptations had a forceful lead singer like Dennis Edwards, so it wasn't that.

The Four Tops were more of a supper act than the Tempts at this point. The Tempts were already seen as more a little rough around the edges so them singing a song that was rumored to be about drug use [[weed/LSD) seemed fitting for them than it did the Four Tops.

I'm assuming Motown was struggling to see what they can do with the Tops after HDH had left.

I think it might have been little of both. Many people don't know that Obie Benson originally wrote "What's Going On"? From what I read the Tops were hesitant to record it because they felt it was too controversial for them at that particular time. Benson took it to Marvin and the rest is history.

marv2
02-01-2018, 07:20 PM
they'll release outside the norm material on the supremes and marvin and the temptations but not the tops? He is crazy.

lol!!!!!!!!

marv2
02-01-2018, 07:23 PM

That's so funny because lots of people at Motown got high in those days. LOL!!!!

marv2
02-01-2018, 07:24 PM
I think it might have been little of both. Many people don't know that Obie Benson originally wrote "What's Going On"? From what I read the Tops were hesitant to record it because they felt it was too controversial for them at that particular time. Benson took it to Marvin and the rest is history.

That is right Encyclopedia Mack.