PDA

View Full Version : Gladys on lead: The Marvelettes' "He Was Really Saying Something" [[GREAT VIDEO)!

test

carlo
02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNY8FBoVAU

topdiva1
02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
They were just as elegant and fabulous as The Supremes. The only difference was - they did not have Berry Gordy through Ross in the pocket, so to speak.

Give Ross credit for doing what she had to do to move to the top at Motown.

theboyfromxtown
02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Carolo-This is a great video...and in time with the beat. It was fun.

Did the Marvelettes release this on a 45 in Europe? I'd be interested to know the top side...please dont tell me it was the top side!

marv2
02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
ah alright now! Now that is the REAL Motown Sound! Very nice.

topdiva1
02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Carolo-This is a great video...and in time with the beat. It was fun.

Did the Marvelettes release this on a 45 in Europe? I'd be interested to know the top side...please dont tell me it was the top side!

I am not sure = perhaps Carlo could answer that better - but I believe this was a single in the USA - let me ressearch it.

reese
02-02-2011, 08:07 PM
It was only an album track in the US. Not sure if it was released as a single elsewhere.

topdiva1
02-02-2011, 08:09 PM
it was only an album track in the us. Not sure if it was released as a single elsewhere.

ok thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robbert
02-02-2011, 09:20 PM
This has always been one of my favorites from the Pink Album. I bet it was a Norman Whitfield production [[that album didn't give any producer credits)?

topdiva1
02-02-2011, 10:23 PM
This has always been one of my favorites from the Pink Album. I bet it was a Norman Whitfield production [[that album didn't give any producer credits)?

I would like to think that this could of been a single for the ladies.

robb_k
02-03-2011, 02:17 AM
It's a "throwaway" for The Marvelettes. It's interesting to hear the different mix again. But it doesn't move like the tracks with The Velvelettes' version. Also, Gladys' lead doesn't have much range at all [[and a lot less emotion than Cal's).

carlo
02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Please don't stone me for saying this, but I actually prefer the Marvelettes' version of this track. :cool:

phil
02-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Did the Marvelettes release this on a 45 in Europe?

It's on a French EP, along with The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game, When You're Young And In Love and I Need Someone.

The cover is the same as the LP :

http://45vinylvidivici.net/SEVENTIESimages%20[[mq)/marvelettes%20547.jpg

randy_russi
02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I also prefer the Velvelettes' version of the song. However, the "pink" lp was my favorite. Great songs and good covers,
such as "Barefootin'". Gladys did a good job on "Message to Michael", although the version by Dionne Warwick is much
better. However, the originals on this lp are outstanding--When I Need You, This Night Was Made For Love, I Can't
Turn Around, I Need Someone, Keep Off, No Trespassing. Either the stereo or mono version of this lp, or both, had
an extended version of Hunter with an additional verse. Also, there were at least two different versions of Keep Off
as well.

reese
02-03-2011, 12:12 PM
The mono "pink" album has the full version of HUNTER, with the additional verse as well as the non-fade ending.

When I first heard this album, I thought maybe Katherine was doing some leads, as Gladys' vocals seemed more laid back than usual. Of course, I came to realize that it was her. A great album, and I think their only album to have the leads split evenly between Gladys and Wanda.

randy_russi
02-03-2011, 12:58 PM
It was also strange that the cover had Kat's photo larger and she is actually wearing pink which gave some people the
impression she was the lead singer.

tomato tom
02-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks so much for this brilliant video. You have made my day. It just reinforces my love for my all time favourite group. AND, my thoughts for Gladys, her family, and her fellow group members at this sad, sad time..Paulo XXXX

smark21
02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
I like this version, though I think The Velvelettes version has more punch to it.

I wonder if there are any Katherine leads in the vaults?

miss_lish
02-03-2011, 11:32 PM
I really like this. I must say, when the Marvelettes had the right material, it just don't get no better. Sadly, they lacked that certain "it" factor to be top shelf, but Wanda was a stunning looking woman with an amazing voice. She could have been groomed for greatness. I really, really like Gladys on this. Have, or will the Pink album be released in CD format? What about The Velvelettes? Is there a compilation on CD anyone could recommend for the uninitiated?

reese
02-04-2011, 12:36 AM
I really like this. I must say, when the Marvelettes had the right material, it just don't get no better. Sadly, they lacked that certain "it" factor to be top shelf, but Wanda was a stunning looking woman with an amazing voice. She could have been groomed for greatness. I really, really like Gladys on this. Have, or will the Pink album be released in CD format? What about The Velvelettes? Is there a compilation on CD anyone could recommend for the uninitiated?

The pink album was released on cd along with the SOPHISTICATED SOUL album back in the 80s. I suspect it will be released again when Hip-O-Select gets around to issuing the second volume of the Complete Marvelettes Albums.

A double cd THE VELVELETTES:THE MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY was released in 2004. It might be too much if you're not a fan. You might want to get the single disc THE VERY BEST OF THE VELVELETTES from 1999, if you can find it.

phil
02-04-2011, 04:48 AM
A double cd THE VELVELETTES:THE MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY was released in 2004.

A must have for any Motown fan, and pretty cheap : http://www.amazon.com/Motown-Anthology-Velvelettes/dp/B0002Z9YGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296809378&sr=8-1

http://www.miomusik.com/the_velvelettes/the_motown_anthology_CD_z.jpg

tomato tom
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
These Things Will Keep Me Loving You..la la la la la.......Paulo xxx

theboyfromxtown
02-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Reese-You really know how to hurt a guy! HAHA

I could never have too much of the Velvelettes but I guess I have to accept that not everyone thinks the same.

A lot of hard work went into that CD and I was really pleased with the outcome. It's still easily available...when others like Brenda Holloway, Barbara McNair are not so easy to find.

reese
02-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Reese-You really know how to hurt a guy! HAHA

I could never have too much of the Velvelettes but I guess I have to accept that not everyone thinks the same.

A lot of hard work went into that CD and I was really pleased with the outcome. It's still easily available...when others like Brenda Holloway, Barbara McNair are not so easy to find.

Now you know that this is nothing personal, as I have both the single and double cd Velvelettes collections.:-) But for a beginner, I'd recommend the single cd, as I would for any act.

theboyfromxtown
02-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I know Reese...but excuse me as I'm such a HUGE fan of theirs.

*smile*

miss_lish
02-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Thank you reese and phil; i recall now that the second set of Marvelette's CD are on their way. I purchased their Deliver the Hits twofer, I think that's what it's called, now I'd like to check out the later albums in their entirety. I just purchased the Velvelettes too! Thanks folks!!

theboyfromxtown
02-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I hope that Miss Lish enjoys her Velvelettes purchase

johnjeb
02-05-2011, 01:25 PM
I first heard this song when I got the pink album in 1967. However, once I heard the Velvelettes original version when that was released on Motown's Hitsville oldies vinyl 45 that became the definitive version for me.

The Marvelettes version is very good and is from a very good album. I highly recommend that when the second set of Marvelettes albums is released that fans of Motown and/or Girl Groups strongly consider purchasing this collection.

As for the Velvelettes CDs, of course I like both collections. On the 2-CD set I prefer disc two which contains several songs that are not on the single CD collection. For the money I would recommend purchasing the 2-CD collection over the single disc. Although Reese makes a good point that the single disc is a good starting point. My only mild annoyance with the 2 disc set is that it has an alternate version of HWRSS, if I recall correctly. But, again, I love Disc 2 for the songs from the late 60s not previously released on the single-disc collection.

[[Disclaimer: I type this from the public library in South Yarmouth on Cape Cod so I am not near my collection to check my facts. Just going on my memory. An aside to John L: Remember being here on the Cape?!)

miss_lish
02-05-2011, 02:49 PM
I hope that Miss Lish enjoys her Velvelettes purchase

The little I have been exposed to was very good; I really enjoy Cal's [[is that her name) more bluesy vocal style.

theboyfromxtown
02-05-2011, 04:35 PM
John-I remember it well....I walked into that place to a PWL track! Even "him indoors" had a smile on his face.

MissLish. The lead singer is Caldin Ann Street but she is called Carol, Carol Ann, Cal, Carolyn....and answers to them all.

144man
02-05-2011, 07:47 PM
As for the Velvelettes CDs, of course I like both collections... My only mild annoyance with the 2 disc set is that it has an alternate version of HWRSS, if I recall correctly.

Strangely enough, I actually prefer the alternate version as it has a distinct "Needle In A Haystack" flavor to it.

stephanie
02-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I like this version a lot! Cal and the girls own it but its not bad! The only thing I hate about seeing pics of the Marvelettes is there are not tons of them! It makes you wish there were more pics of them on stage and in the studio.

Roberta75
02-05-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNY8FBoVAU

May poor Gladys be free from all her pain and suffering now. God bless her

theboyfromxtown
02-06-2011, 05:06 AM
I like this version a lot! Cal and the girls own it but its not bad! The only thing I hate about seeing pics of the Marvelettes is there are not tons of them! It makes you wish there were more pics of them on stage and in the studio.

Steph...as in......I wish there were more pics of them on stage and in the studio.....which are available to us all and not hidden away somewhere!