PDA

View Full Version : Any members of Nat King Cole Intl fan club here?

test

snakepit
01-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Are there any members of the Nat King Cole International Fan Club on SDF?

Bluebrock
01-09-2018, 04:40 AM
Are there any members of the Nat King Cole International Fan Club on SDF?
I am not a member but would be interested in becoming one. Is it a worthwhile club to be a member of?

snakepit
01-09-2018, 06:09 AM
Bluerock,
Sadly the reason I was reaching out was to inform members that the organiser/secretary , Roy Holmes, has passed away.
Thee club was run from his home in the UK. I don't think anybody has taken it over, which is a shame as it was a great newsletter.

Bluebrock
01-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Bluerock,
Sadly the reason I was reaching out was to inform members that the organiser/secretary , Roy Holmes, has passed away.
Thee club was run from his home in the UK. I don't think anybody has taken it over, which is a shame as it was a great newsletter.
That is very sad news snakepit. Roy wrote the sleeve notes for some of the cd reissues and always did a fine job. May he rest in peace. Hopefully someone else will attempt to take over and continue Roy's fine work.

snakepit
01-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Yes sad news.
I only found out because he sent out the newsletter every Christmas, together with a Christmas card. It didn't arrive this year and I feared the worst.

He did write sleevenotes and appeared on several TV documentaries, he was very knowledgeable about Nat.
I met him once in London, after agreeing to purchased the Capitol box set "Love" 1960-64 off him. A nice guy.

I have being play a lot of Nat's tunes by way of tribute to Roy.

snakepit
01-09-2018, 06:14 PM
One of my favourites :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iod7NnpFH0

snakepit
01-09-2018, 06:22 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cHFQ632DNwQ

And another...this style is my favourite of his recordings...I like everything he did, but he covered so many styles of music.

snakepit
01-09-2018, 06:50 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4kd1A0zVK9Y

Bluebrock
01-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Yes sad news.
I only found out because he sent out the newsletter every Christmas, together with a Christmas card. It didn't arrive this year and I feared the worst.

He did write sleevenotes and appeared on several TV documentaries, he was very knowledgeable about Nat.
I met him once in London, after agreeing to purchased the Capitol box set "Love" 1960-64 off him. A nice guy.

I have being play a lot of Nat's tunes by way of tribute to Roy.
That is a nice tribute. I never got to meet him but i got the impression he was a regular guy who just loved doing what he did. Now he will hopefully be with his idol. It is the least he deserves.

snakepit
01-11-2018, 10:17 AM
He was a good source to clarify details of NKC recordings. As you know, NKC often re-recorded many of his songs [[ for stereo, LP, Etc). So dating his output can be difficult.
I buy a lot of NKC, and there are many CDs of variable quality, and some are poor efforts...some have live or TV recordings etc. It's a minefield.

But as a result of hearing the sad news, I been motivated to list all my tracks from my CDs. Of courses there are many duplicates , but I spent all day listing !most of my CDs...whilst listening to a new purchase, "The complete Billy May sessions"...wonderful. I also bought "The best of Capitol singles 1949-62".
As with all NKC releases, there are tracks I have many timers over, but always something new. I have both box sets of Capitol..1955-1959 and 1960-1964.
However, I love his early 50s period, so look out for that period.
I am determined to play his early trio recordings more...