PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Robinson on discovering Diana Ross

test

jobeterob
12-27-2017, 02:20 AM
https://etcanada.com/video/1099515459937/smokey-robinson-on-discovering-diana-ross/

PeaceNHarmony
12-27-2017, 06:49 AM
https://etcanada.com/video/1099515459937/smokey-robinson-on-discovering-diana-ross/
Nice clip. Smokey's love and enthusiasm really shines. And I await Diana's invitation for some home cooking.

RanRan79
12-27-2017, 12:29 PM
A bit disingenuous to say he discovered Diana Ross. I think that distinction goes to Milton Jenkins. Smokey securing the group a Motown audition might be more accurate [[and I'm not even sure about that since so many stories have been told from the participants). Still a great interview. I love when the interviewers ask for never before heard or little known information instead of the same ole same ole. Mary Wilson is supposedly a great cook and there are photos of Florence cooking, but I always wondered if Diana cooked. Recently I saw a video of Tracee on a talk show where she mentioned how great of a cook her mother is. Maybe the next project Diana undertakes would be a cook book. Diamond Diana's Diva Diet, perhaps?:D Thanks for posting Rob!

Circa 1824
12-27-2017, 01:33 PM
A cookbook by a singer who "can cook"?

I don't think she has those credentials, and hopefully will never be that desperate.

jobeterob
12-27-2017, 08:19 PM
A cookbook by a singer who "can cook"?

I don't think she has those credentials, and hopefully will never be that desperate.

I guess you have to be there to know

Tracee and Smokey seem to think she’s quite a cook and she had to lose quite a bit of weight to be trim again

My wife is a lawyer and the fact she loves to cook and is a good one is something people would never expect of her either

PeaceNHarmony
12-28-2017, 09:48 AM
I guess you have to be there to know

Tracee and Smokey seem to think she’s quite a cook and she had to lose quite a bit of weight to be trim again

My wife is a lawyer and the fact she loves to cook and is a good one is something people would never expect of her either
Just HOW cold is it in Canada? And, if one were looking to expatriate during the djt years, are their jobs in Canada?

jobeterob
12-28-2017, 11:03 AM
One of the longest cold spells ever right across the country. - -30 C

Yes to jobs - all the baby boomers are retiring although some like Smokey and Diana keep working

PeaceNHarmony
12-28-2017, 03:47 PM
One of the longest cold spells ever right across the country. - -30 C

Yes to jobs - all the baby boomers are retiring although some like Smokey and Diana keep working
Well I suppose those temperatures keep one fresh.

arr&bee
01-01-2018, 08:06 PM
You could say that-paul williams discovered diana ross!

jobeterob
01-02-2018, 02:38 AM

It’s the same as about 6 people discovered the Jackson 5 - Berry Diana Suzanne Gladys Bobby etc

And the all had a hand in their arrival and success; it just depends on what part of the discovery you refer to

heikki
01-02-2018, 06:56 AM
Hi!

And the actual one is Marshall Thompson. Even Bobby has admitted this.

Best regards
Heikki

RanRan79
01-02-2018, 01:47 PM

In the line of Diana's success one could say that the first hook in the success ladder was when Paul heard her sing. At this point things get a bit blurry. Either Paul heard her sing and told Milton about her, or Paul told Florence, who brought Diana in. Flo has claimed to have brought both Mary and Diana into the group. Milton definitely gets the credit of introducing Diana Ross to an audience as a "professional" singer. Looking over Dreamgirl, Mary does say that it was Smokey who secured them an audition at Motown, so he has to be on the ladder too, and of course it was Gordy who ultimately oversaw the emergence of DIANA ROSS. But if I were going to credit someone with "discovering" Diana Ross, if it's true that Paul hearing her sing was how she was introduced to the idea of the Primettes, he has to be credited as the catalyst for Diana joining the group, but it was Milton who ultimately decided to put her on or not. I hand him the initial credit for the discovery of one of the world's greatest.

reese
01-02-2018, 02:30 PM
When Diana last appeared on Regis and Kelly, Regis brought out an old TCB album cover and jokingly asked if any of the Tempts had hit on the girls. Diana said that they were more like brothers and that Eddie and Paul were the ones who came and asked her mom for permission for Diana to join the Primettes.

arr&bee
01-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Yes reese,that's what i'm referring to,thanks.

RanRan79
01-02-2018, 03:19 PM
When Diana last appeared on Regis and Kelly, Regis brought out an old TCB album cover and jokingly asked if any of the Tempts had hit on the girls. Diana said that they were more like brothers and that Eddie and Paul were the ones who came and asked her mom for permission for Diana to join the Primettes.

According to Mary, Eddie and Paul also came to her home and asked her mother for permission for them to join after the initial audition. I'm assuming that all of the girls got that treatment. However there is a separate story that says Paul Williams overheard Diana Ross singing around the neighborhood and [[a) told her about the group, [[b) told Florence to talk to Diana about the group. I've never heard Eddie Kendricks in the discussion of who discovered Diana Ross.

As for hitting on the girls, well we now know if they were like siblings, that was one helluva an incestuous family.:eek:

TomatoTom123
01-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Um, guys, I think you find that it was me, the unborn foetus, that discovered Diana Ross. In fact, I remember vividly watching her when I was -30 years old or whatever and recommending her to my good buddy Berry Gordy.

Geez, I don’t know what you guys were on about, but I’m glad I’m here to set the facts straight. :p

reese
01-02-2018, 06:14 PM
According to Mary, Eddie and Paul also came to her home and asked her mother for permission for them to join after the initial audition. I'm assuming that all of the girls got that treatment. However there is a separate story that says Paul Williams overheard Diana Ross singing around the neighborhood and [[a) told her about the group, [[b) told Florence to talk to Diana about the group. I've never heard Eddie Kendricks in the discussion of who discovered Diana Ross.

As for hitting on the girls, well we now know if they were like siblings, that was one helluva an incestuous family.:eek:

It seems that a lot of things were happening simultaneously. Once Milton decided to form a female group, he approached Flo and her sister Maxine. Flo agreed and brought in Mary. Paul brought in his girlfriend Betty McGlown. At some point, I read Diana was singing on her front steps and that's when Paul saw and heard her, so he recommended her as well.

PeaceNHarmony
01-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Do people who hate Diana Ross hate Smokey Robinson because he loves Diana Ross? And if they hate Smokey Robinson because he loves Diana Ross do they automatically hate the other Motowners who love Smokey Robinson? As far as non-Motowners, does one must need hate Al Green, who apparently is friends with Diana Ross? Of course Berry Gordy loves Diana Ross so does that not mean that anyone who likes, or was liked, by Berry Gordy must also be hated because of Berry's love of Diana Ross? And Dr. Martha Reeves - years ago did not like Diana Ross, but is now friendly with Diana Ross. Must Martha be hated? And, since Martha worked with Vandellas, must all said Vandellas be hated due to their connection to someone who does not hate Diana Ross? THESE are questions that MUST be addressed in this new year of 2018. MUST, I say.

RanRan79
01-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Um, guys, I think you find that it was me, the unborn foetus, that discovered Diana Ross. In fact, I remember vividly watching her when I was -30 years old or whatever and recommending her to my good buddy Berry Gordy.

Geez, I don’t know what you guys were on about, but I’m glad I’m here to set the facts straight. :p

Tom if this is true, I thank you from every corner of my heart for discovering one of my favorite singing voices of all time, the great Diana Ross. I am forever in your debt.;)

RanRan79
01-02-2018, 10:27 PM
It seems that a lot of things were happening simultaneously. Once Milton decided to form a female group, he approached Flo and her sister Maxine. Flo agreed and brought in Mary. Paul brought in his girlfriend Betty McGlown. At some point, I read Diana was singing on her front steps and that's when Paul saw and heard her, so he recommended her as well.

Yes, I think your chain of events is probably correct. Flo says she brought Diana in, but I'm not sure I believe that Flo had any hiring power, no matter how fond Milton may have been of her and her voice. What probably happened was that Paul, knowing the two girls lived in the same neighborhood and probably knew one another already, mentioned to Flo that she should talk to Diana about the group, probably as a formality. If Paul had already told Milton, and Paul obviously liked what he heard, and I can imagine Milton respecting Paul's opinion regarding singing voices, then Diana being in the group was probably a done deal, Flo or no Flo. It's just crazy to think about how all of these people- Florence Ballard, Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Milton Jenkins, Paul Williams, Eddie Kendricks- were at the right place at the right time doing the right thing while crossing the paths of the right people and setting the course of not only the most successful female group of all time but one of the most successful female soloist of all time. Gives me chills.

RanRan79
01-02-2018, 10:28 PM
Do people who hate Diana Ross hate Smokey Robinson because he loves Diana Ross? And if they hate Smokey Robinson because he loves Diana Ross do they automatically hate the other Motowners who love Smokey Robinson? As far as non-Motowners, does one must need hate Al Green, who apparently is friends with Diana Ross? Of course Berry Gordy loves Diana Ross so does that not mean that anyone who likes, or was liked, by Berry Gordy must also be hated because of Berry's love of Diana Ross? And Dr. Martha Reeves - years ago did not like Diana Ross, but is now friendly with Diana Ross. Must Martha be hated? And, since Martha worked with Vandellas, must all said Vandellas be hated due to their connection to someone who does not hate Diana Ross? THESE are questions that MUST be addressed in this new year of 2018. MUST, I say.

I'm in the weird part of Soulful Detroit again.

blackguy69
01-02-2018, 11:48 PM
I'm in the weird part of Soulful Detroit again.
Please someone explain what the hell peace is talking about since nothing negative was said.

jobeterob
01-03-2018, 02:16 AM
Please someone explain what the hell peace is talking about since nothing negative was said.

It's just the wired part of SD but nothing to bad is going on - not compared!!

Boogiedown
01-03-2018, 03:01 AM

"THESE are questions that MUST be addressed in this new year of 2018. MUST, I say"

Yes indeed !! Please take on this project personally PnH!
Let's aim to submit productive posts in 2018 instead of pointless ones!

PeaceNHarmony
01-03-2018, 06:46 AM
It's just the wired part of SD but nothing to bad is going on - not compared!!
Sir. Though I thank you for your unexpected chivalry, I must take issue with your categorization of my free-form philosophizing as 'weird'. With kindest wishes for 2018, I remain, P&H. :)

jobeterob
01-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Sir. Though I thank you for your unexpected chivalry, I must take issue with your categorization of my free-form philosophizing as 'weird'. With kindest wishes for 2018, I remain, P&H. :)

Should I have said ‘eclectic’?

PeaceNHarmony
01-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Yes. But you needn't edit your original post. There is, indeed, plenty here that ends up weird.

milven
01-03-2018, 11:17 AM
About 2:50 in this clip, Diana gives credit to Smokey for getting the Supremes to Motown. But she also jokingly tells how he stole their guitar player. Some here may give flac that she refers to the Supremes as "her group". But Mary, Flo and Barbara could have said the same. Of course, she could have said, "our group". But so what, who cares. It was their group. She was a partner in the group.

Check out the chemistry between Smoke and Di.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIx0lbl3iQ

jobeterob
01-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Eclectic, odd, a little wired are all ok and maybe even fun

When they go bitter and angry- then it’s a problem

RanRan79
01-03-2018, 02:41 PM
About 2:50 in this clip, Diana gives credit to Smokey for getting the Supremes to Motown. But she also jokingly tells how he stole their guitar player. Some here may give flac that she refers to the Supremes as "her group". But Mary, Flo and Barbara could have said the same. Of course, she could have said, "our group". But so what, who cares. It was their group. She was a partner in the group.

I believe I've heard or read both Flo and Mary refer to the Supremes as their group. Anyone yapping about Diana saying that is nitpicking, as usual.

temptationsfan500
01-03-2018, 03:03 PM

What the hell?! Sounds like you don't have a lot of inner peace and harmony dude. Get your s**t together.

temptationsfan500
01-03-2018, 03:21 PM
In the end it's the audience who "discovers" someone if the artist is going to have a long, successful career. Others discover to give the break,the opportunity, the chance to put the music out there, but it's an audience who embraces it and loves the artist and their music.

TomatoTom123
01-03-2018, 08:36 PM
Tom if this is true, I thank you from every corner of my heart for discovering one of my favorite singing voices of all time, the great Diana Ross. I am forever in your debt.;)

What is this "if this is true" nonsense? How dare you! Do you take me for some sort of fool? Or a liar perhaps!? Tut tut

Oh and you’re welcome RanRan, don’t mention it ;)

bradsupremes
01-03-2018, 08:52 PM

Check out the chemistry between Smoke and Di.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIx0lbl3iQ

I love how Diana brings up Marv Tarplin. When the Rock Hall honored Smokey a few years ago and had a tribute concert, Mary joked to Smokey in the audience “You stole our guitar player!”