PDA

View Full Version : Songs that used rarely used instruments or unique items

test

lockhartgary
12-22-2017, 04:57 PM
"It's Growing" by the Temptations and "Love is Like an Itching in My Heart" by DRATS are two songs that stand out to me as using instruments that you did not hear a lot of in songs or used strange items as instruments. They used a toy piano and bicycle horns, respectively, or so I've read. Were there other Motown songs that anyone can think of that made you go, "Well, that's a creative use of that not-so-often used instrument or item"?

luke
12-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Certainly the sound on where did our Love go...floorboards?

bradsupremes
12-22-2017, 07:08 PM
The accordion on “Reflections.” When isolated it’s actually real pretty. It’s not an instrument you’d find on a pop song let alone a soul one with psychedelic undertones.

lockhartgary
12-22-2017, 08:38 PM
As many times as I've heard the "floorboard stomp", I've completely forgotten about it. And I didn't even realize an accordion was even in "Reflections", probably because of everything else going on in that song.

By the way, was that a calliope in "Tears of a Clown" or something else entirely? Whatever it was, it worked!

jobucats
12-22-2017, 09:13 PM
How about those heavy chains making percussion sounds at the beginning of "Nowhere to Run?"

Not necessarily unusual, but we began to hear the harpsichord being used around 1966 [[Love is Here & Now You're Gone, Seven Rooms of Gloom) and the high pitched piccolo in about 1967 [[The Happening, My Whole World Ended, All I Know About You, etc.).

The accordion in "Reflections" was simply so creative. It actually works very well with the small chamber string ensemble used in the recording.

jobucats
12-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Speaking of instrumental, I believe most Motown fans will agree that "Bernadette" is such a powerful song musically in its vocals and instrumentation. Upon listening to this powerful song, one would surmise that almost every orchestral instrument is being used. It's hard to believe, however, there is not a string ensemble being used in the accompaniment.

By the way, what is making the ah sounds [[almost like voices) in "Love is Here)? Yea, sounds like voices, however, its almost too processed to be real voices, in my opinion.

DJMoch
12-22-2017, 11:49 PM
With "Itching", I always thought that odd instrument that appears in the stereo LP mix was a kazoo, or something similar. Whatever it is, it's definitely a unique sound.

gman
12-23-2017, 01:58 AM
Some of the psych stuff definitely has a lot going on...Psychedelic Shack is one of my all time fav. songs...ditto Reflections. there's a real lot going on in Shadows of Society too. I love the acoustic guitar in the beginning of I Guess I'll Miss The Man. The simplicity of it reminds me of Connie Francis' '61 hit When The Boy In Your Arms.
The banjo in Bonnie Pointers cover of When The Lovelight also always gets me...never thought of banjo as funky. But it is here.
And Love Hangover has those very Asian flourishes on the intro.

Motown Eddie
12-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Good question Lockhartgary. There's the use of thremin on Diana Ross & the Supremes' "Forever Came Today". And the kazoos on Stevie Wonder's "My Eyes Don't Cry No More".

TomatoTom123
12-23-2017, 10:12 AM
And the kazoos on Stevie Wonder's "My Eyes Don't Cry No More".

Oh that’s what those are! I could never work it out, lol. Thanks Eddie :D

PeaceNHarmony
12-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Interesting post, Tom! First to mind is glockenspeil on Bruce's 'Born To Run' and Barry G's belch on 'Tragedy' but I'll think about it for more appropriate soul music references!

lockhartgary
12-23-2017, 11:48 AM
With "Itching", I always thought that odd instrument that appears in the stereo LP mix was a kazoo, or something similar. Whatever it is, it's definitely a unique sound.
I actually prefer the mix without the "kazoo" in "Itching", just like i prefer "Ain't too Proud to Beg" without the strings.

Motown Eddie
12-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Another example of unusual instruments on a Motown record is the sounding of a gong [[and the sound of a closing door) at the end of The Temptations' "Take A Stroll Thru Your Mind".

StuBass1
12-23-2017, 01:47 PM
The high pitched sound on the Beach Boys Good Vibrations was always assumed to be a Theramin, but in reality, it was a variation of the theramin invented by a former Glenn Miller trombonist named Paul Tanner which he called an electrotheramin. I'm not quite sure of the technical differences, but his electrotheramin was also used in several sci-fi films and on the television show My Favorite Martian... Also, on Reflections, the whoops were according to Russ Terrana, a signal tester they experimented with to create that sound...

kenneth
12-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Another example of the early arrangements using unusual instruments was Raynoma Gordy's purchase of the Ondioline [[sp?) which was an early version of a Synthesizer. It's used most prominently on the first Marvelettes album "Please Mr. Postman," especially on songs like "I Want a Guy," but also appears on other very early Motown releases. In her book, she described how she found it in a popular music store in downtown Detroit.

I still say Raynoma's autobiography is one of the best of the Motown bios, right up there with "Dream Girl." And the use of that instrument was truly innovative! I think Raynoma likely had way more to do with Motown's early success than she gets credit for.

DJMoch
12-23-2017, 05:04 PM
I was always intrigued by that weird opening to "Reflections". I thought it was way ahead of its time. It sounds so weird and futuristic for a song recorded in 1967-1968. So that's how it was created.

Motown4Ever518
12-24-2017, 11:21 AM
"Wonderful Baby" by the Four Tops with the Castanets, and Bells. The core song on the box set Four Ever is okay, but the finished version speeded up IMO is a gem.

phil
12-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Another example of the early arrangements using unusual instruments was Raynoma Gordy's purchase of the Ondioline [[sp?) which was an early version of a Synthesizer. It's used most prominently on the first Marvelettes album "Please Mr. Postman," especially on songs like "I Want a Guy," but also appears on other very early Motown releases. .

Hi Kenneth, I remember having read about that mysterious ondioline in Raynoma's book -on which I agree with you- and I love its sound. We can hear it on "Farewell My Love" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRinKWzIA4

Circa 1824
12-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Let's lock the door and throw away the key, by Jay and the Americans. The squeaking door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRrrzxmvcuI

westgrandboulevard
12-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Not to forget the sound of the melodica featured on The Marvelettes' 'The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game'......used in the production of a recording of worldly sophistication, it bestows a distinct air of utter cool......:)

kenneth
12-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Hi Kenneth, I remember having read about that mysterious ondioline in Raynoma's book -on which I agree with you- and I love its sound. We can hear it on "Farewell My Love"

Yes, you absolutely can. Thanks!

Here's the example I mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luN512ryuC8

TomatoTom123
12-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Oh yes, that damn ondioline thing. Personally, and sorry to be so negative here, I, erm, hate it. Such a weird and off-putting sound. And it makes everything feel that much more dated.

The ondioline is on a fair few of The Satintones' recordings as well I believe and it kinda ruins them IMO

Wow I appear to have a vendetta against the ondioline, lol... what does everyone else think of it? :)

Circa 1824
12-24-2017, 10:10 PM
Oh yes, that damn ondioline thing.

Wow I appear to have a vendetta against the ondioline, lol... what does everyone else think of it? :)

What in tarnation is an ondioline?

DJMoch
12-25-2017, 12:12 AM
Looking on Wikipedia, an ondioline is a type of electronic keyboard instrument. Sort of a forerunner of synthesizers [[which, given it was invented in 1941, is pretty damned impressive).

phil
12-25-2017, 05:18 AM
Here it is :

http://drop.philharmoniedeparis.fr/CMFM/CMFM000010100/156680_CMIM000015140_LD_660.jpg

Hey Tom, isn't it beautiful ? ;o)

Philles/Motown Gary
12-25-2017, 05:48 AM
Oh yes, that damn ondioline thing. Personally, and sorry to be so negative here, I, erm, hate it. Such a weird and off-putting sound. And it makes everything feel that much more dated.

The ondioline is on a fair few of The Satintones' recordings as well I believe and it kinda ruins them IMO

Couldn't agree with you more, Tom. That thing is God-awful! [[Sorry, Kenny!)

144man
12-25-2017, 07:01 AM
The ondioline was okay in its day, but that day has long gone.

kenneth
12-25-2017, 08:03 PM

I still like it, in spite of its overuse on those early tracks and its dated sound. I don't know, something about the use of it, to me it added to the innocence of the early recordings. But considering we both love Motown, my bud Gary and I rarely agree on the details of what we like and why!

kenneth
12-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Here it is :

http://drop.philharmoniedeparis.fr/CMFM/CMFM000010100/156680_CMIM000015140_LD_660.jpg

Wow how did you find this! What a strange looking instrument, and why is it off kilter with the left side of the keyboard just hanging over like that? I wonder what was intended to go under it...?

Great find!

gman
12-25-2017, 11:24 PM
It appears to be 2 separate pieces, and the larger one that has the slide controls for each key most likely included an amplifier. There are handles on both sides, so it may be heavy and need 2 people to move easily. Apparently to get vibrato, you can wiggle the keyboard from side to side

kenneth
12-26-2017, 12:15 AM
@Gman, Thanks for the comments.

I saw that Wikipedia has a great write up on the instrument. Very interesting. It was used prominently on "More [[Theme from Mondo Cane)", by Kai Winding, and on both "I Think We're Alone Now" and "Mirage" by Tommy James and the Shondells!

zani57
12-26-2017, 01:53 AM
I was always intrigued by that weird opening to "Reflections". I thought it was way ahead of its time. It sounds so weird and futuristic for a song recorded in 1967-1968. So that's how it was created.

If you have ever heard the five-album [[vinyl) "Motown Story," Mary Wilson says in her introduction to "Reflections" that Holland-Dozier-Holland had heard the ground-breaking "Sgt. Pepper" by The Beatles and HDH were trying to do something in that vein. So, while perhaps ahead of its time for Motown, not ahead of its time with regard to what else was going on in music in that period of time.

Separately, as for castanets, they start off "Some Things You Never Get Used To."

kenneth
12-26-2017, 01:56 AM
If you have ever heard the five-album [[vinyl) "Motown Story," Mary Wilson says in her introduction to "Reflections" that Holland-Dozier-Holland had heard the ground-breaking "Sgt. Pepper" by The Beatles and HDH were trying to do something in that vein. So, while perhaps ahead of its time for Motown, not ahead of its time with regard to what else was going on music in that period of time."

Oh for sure it was influenced by Sgt. Pepper. Nearly every artist - mainstream to every rock group - had an album that was somehow influenced by "Sgt. Pepper." Even Liberace had a mod album with psyched-up arrangements to songs like "Judy Blue Eyes!"

TomatoTom123
12-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Here it is :

Lol

Actually phil I think it looks quite nice, just please don’t start playing it ;)

TomatoTom123
12-26-2017, 09:02 AM

Hey thanks Gary :D

TomatoTom123
12-26-2017, 09:03 AM
The ondioline was okay in its day, but that day has long gone.

Exactly 144, exactly

TomatoTom123
12-26-2017, 09:11 AM
from Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ondioline

“the ondioline was capable of creating a wide variety of sounds”

[[all of them awful!) heehee

phil
12-26-2017, 09:18 AM
I still like it, in spite of its overuse on those early tracks and its dated sound. I don't know, something about the use of it, to me it added to the innocence of the early recordings.

I'm with you Kenneth ! In France we may call this "charme surrané"
[[old world charm).