PDA

View Full Version : Na Na Na Na Hey...Supremes with Diana?

test

luke
12-22-2017, 12:55 PM
Maybe this has been discussed but I don’t remember. It sure sounds like Diana comes in at the end.?? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RadbMWrC0oc

mowest
12-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Sounds like Jean to me.

blackguy69
12-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Come on now you know Diana isn’t on this

Circa 1824
12-22-2017, 02:14 PM
it is too shrill and strident to be Diana.

gman
12-22-2017, 03:30 PM
I know many people feel this song should have been left off the LP, but I like it...Mary and Cindy are very strong on it. And Jean does sound like DR on the scat like run at the end. I like Bridge, too. I don't like this version of Come Together. I already digested Ike and Tina's nice take on it [[ I do like DR's, and I love her treatment of Winding Road...my fav song from EIE Lp) 2 songs I hate by anyone: Time and Love & Love The One You're With...I know fans are sided with Time To Breakdown, but I think I Wish I Were Your Mirror and Thank Him For Today are the hidden gems on the New Ways LP...perhaps they should have been the "B" sides and the catchy Shine On Me and Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music issued as "A" side singles too...Most likely a 2nd single was skipped because the duet LP single River Deep was out too...the fidelity on the LP version of Stoned Love pales compared to the single mix.

copley
12-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Diana no! Florence yes :D

PeaceNHarmony
12-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Diana no! Florence yes :D
Did Florence Ballard actually record 'Na Na ...' or is this just a childish kiki at the expense of a dead woman?

marv2
12-22-2017, 08:32 PM
I know many people feel this song should have been left off the LP, but I like it...Mary and Cindy are very strong on it. And Jean does sound like DR on the scat like run at the end. I like Bridge, too. I don't like this version of Come Together. I already digested Ike and Tina's nice take on it [[ I do like DR's, and I love her treatment of Winding Road...my fav song from EIE Lp) 2 songs I hate by anyone: Time and Love & Love The One You're With...I know fans are sided with Time To Breakdown, but I think I Wish I Were Your Mirror and Thank Him For Today are the hidden gems on the New Ways LP...perhaps they should have been the "B" sides and the catchy Shine On Me and Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music issued as "A" side singles too...Most likely a 2nd single was skipped because the duet LP single River Deep was out too...the fidelity on the LP version of Stoned Love pales compared to the single mix.

I love the Supremes version of this song. They do a great job with it.

jobeterob
12-23-2017, 12:16 AM
No Diana......

Bluebrock
12-23-2017, 09:09 AM
For me it was the weakest song on an otherwise very strong album. I just cannot understand why a so so cover of a recent so so pop hit was deemed good enough to be included especially when some of the outtakes are so strong. However i do love their version of Bridge, but then again it is such a beautiful song that it would be a difficult song to ruin. I don't even mind the Linda Clifford disco version, but i am veering off topic here.

marv2
12-23-2017, 09:16 AM
"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" was not a "so so pop" hit. It was a number one Billboard hit here in America. The song was so popular that it went on to become a sort of anthem sung at sporting events all over our country to this very day! Some 48 years later! We loved it!

PeaceNHarmony
12-23-2017, 10:17 AM
I still don't get it. Is he saying Diana is a better singer than Florence or Diana is a better singer than Jean, or Florence is a better singer than Jean, or Jean is a better singer than Florence?

jobeterob
12-23-2017, 11:37 AM
I’ve never thought of na na hey hey as a weak song - it is iconic in the sports world in Canada. The supremes version isn’t a total copy either.

As people are beginning to acknowledge, or at least the committed fans are beginning to speak to, Florence’s voice [[and Mary’s for that matter) were both either very pedestrian or not very good or not very distinctive. That’s why they weren’t lead singers. They do not stack up to Diana’s or Jean’s.

Their brilliance was in their blend with Diana’s voice and Jean’s voice.

Circa 1824
12-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Florence and Mary were in the right place at the right time. So was Diana, but Diana had the goods.

marv2
12-23-2017, 01:55 PM
I’ve never thought of na na hey hey as a weak song - it is iconic in the sports world in Canada. The supremes version isn’t a total copy either.

As people are beginning to acknowledge, or at least the committed fans are beginning to speak to, Florence’s voice [[and Mary’s for that matter) were both either very pedestrian or not very good or not very distinctive. That’s why they weren’t lead singers. They do not stack up to Diana’s or Jean’s.

I like both of their voices, including Jean's better than Diane's. Too nasally sounding.

copley
12-23-2017, 04:12 PM
What I am saying is [[tongue in check) if you can hear Diana then why not Florence as neither of them are on it!

sup_fan
12-23-2017, 04:48 PM
I think their version of the song is perfectly fine but doesn’t fit in w the theme of NWBLS. Mind Body and Soul would have been better IMO if they felt the had to have another cover. Na Na would have fit fine on Right On.

luke
12-23-2017, 05:27 PM
I just thought maybe Diane was in the studio that day and Mary said come on girl do some singing with us!

marv2
12-23-2017, 05:53 PM
I just thought maybe Diane was in the studio that day and Mary said come on girl do some singing with us!

That could have happened. As we know anything was possible with Motown. It sounds like Mary Wilson on Diane's "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" and many people believe "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is a Supremes record, although it is not.

The back up on the Four Tops "Still Waters Run Deep" sounds very much like the Supremes to me.

Ozmo
12-23-2017, 06:33 PM
That could have happened. As we know anything was possible with Motown. It sounds like Mary Wilson on Diane's "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" and many people believe "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is a Supremes record, although it is not.

The back up on the Four Tops "Still Waters Run Deep" sounds very much like the Supremes to me.

Marv, I believe that the female vocalists on "Still Waters Run Deep" are Billie and Brenda from the Undisputed Truth. Though I can hear the similarity to the Supremes as you point out.

By the way, I always liked the Supremes version of "Na Na Na" and think that it fits well in the "New Ways" album.

marv2
12-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Marv, I believe that the female vocalists on "Still Waters Run Deep" are Billie and Brenda from the Undisputed Truth. Though I can hear the similarity to the Supremes as you point out.

By the way, I always liked the Supremes version of "Na Na Na" and think that it fits well in the "New Ways" album.

Ozmo, thank you and Merry Christmas! Be sure to check out the new Christmas Concert Special I just posted with Gladys and Smokey here.

Ozmo
12-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Ozmo, thank you and Merry Christmas! Be sure to check out the new Christmas Concert Special I just posted with Gladys and Smokey here.

Marv, Merry christmas to you and all the Soulful Detroit family. Had a quick look at the Christmas Concert Special and it looks great. Will check it out in full iater.

jobucats
12-23-2017, 09:09 PM

Speaking of sounding like Mary Wilson [[yet we know it wasn't), I always thought that one of the background voices on "Leave a Little Room" from the "Touch Me in the Morning" album sure did sound like Mary. That alto at the end made me question for a long time whether it was Mary or not. And Lord, please don't allow a war to start because of my comment.

luke
12-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Thanks Marv. I hear you! Happy Holidays.

marv2
12-23-2017, 11:26 PM
Thanks Marv. I hear you! Happy Holidays.

Luke, all the best for this Holiday Season!

TheMotownManiac
12-24-2017, 03:54 AM
Maybe this has been discussed but I don’t remember. It sure sounds like Diana comes in at the end.?? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RadbMWrC0oc

I have always felt that it sounded like Diana, if it isn’t her, I don’t know who it is.

Bluebrock
12-24-2017, 09:45 AM

That is more or less what i have thought all along jobeterob.

Bluebrock
12-24-2017, 09:50 AM
"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" was not a "so so pop" hit. It was a number one Billboard hit here in America. The song was so popular that it went on to become a sort of anthem sung at sporting events all over our country to this very day! Some 48 years later! We loved it!
I know full well that it was a number 1 hit over there, and a sizeable hit over here in the UK, but that doesn't mean i have to like it. I think it was an average song. No more no less, and i still feel that better songs could have replaced it on NWBLS, and don't even get me started on Bananarama's ghastly cover version..............

lakedistrictlad1
12-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Na Na...was one of the very first new Supremes tracks I heard, via a budget U.K album titled Stoned Love.
I loved it then and I still count it as one of my fave Jean Terrell Supremes tracks.
I can't explain it..I just love it. Like the Archies 'Sugar Sugar'. It's just catchy.

jobeterob
12-24-2017, 03:30 PM
I know full well that it was a number 1 hit over there, and a sizeable hit over here in the UK, but that doesn't mean i have to like it. I think it was an average song. No more no less, and i still feel that better songs could have replaced it on NWBLS, and don't even get me started on Bananarama's ghastly cover version..............

The reason it’s a sports anthem here is because it is so simplistic - kind of like The Letter by the Boxtops

jobeterob
12-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Na Na...was one of the very first new Supremes tracks I heard, via a budget U.K album titled Stoned Love.
I loved it then and I still count it as one of my fave Jean Terrell Supremes tracks.
I can't explain it..I just love it. Like the Archies 'Sugar Sugar'. It's just catchy.

Exactly! Good comparison. No one would ever admit to thinking Sugar Sugar was a good song, would they?

PeaceNHarmony
12-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Exactly! Good comparison. No one would ever admit to thinking Sugar Sugar was a good song, would they?
Well, SIR, I beg to differ. Nonsense songs such as SS and NNHH etc are good songs; good in that they provide happiness to many over decades. So THERE.

marv2
12-24-2017, 05:10 PM

It's really excellent in my opinion. The tom tom drums and Mary Wilson repeating "baby", "bab-bay" as Cindy and Jean joins in. Love it! LOL!!!

marv2
12-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Well, SIR, I beg to differ. Nonsense songs such as SS and NNHH etc are good songs; good in that they provide happiness to many over decades. So THERE.

"Sugar, Sugar" was/is a great song. I first heard it when I was 9 years old when they debut it on the old "The Archies" cartoon program. When I hear it today, I still pat my foot!

jobeterob
12-24-2017, 05:33 PM

I like em too......don’t admit it in person for SS

PeaceNHarmony
12-24-2017, 06:13 PM
I like em too......don’t admit it in person for SS
Thank goodness. For a moment I thought you would also drop a Christmas shade on 'Chewy, Chewy'. Most of the posters on this thread are on my ignore list, but what I have learned from those not blocked is that Florence never recorded NNHH, but if she had it would have been better than Jean, who did [[but, perhaps, should not have) recorded NNHH, and which version would not have been as good as Diana's, had she [[though it seems she did not, and definitely should not have) recorded NNHH. Interesting stuff.

jobeterob
12-24-2017, 06:52 PM
What I have learned this year is that if you use a mobile phone and you have people on ignore, you can’t cheat and peek to see how crazy someone went. On a desktop, I can cheat and peek.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-25-2017, 05:35 AM
It's really excellent in my opinion. The tom tom drums and Mary Wilson repeating "baby", "bab-bay" as Cindy and Jean joins in. Love it! LOL!!!
I agree, Marv. I love The Supremes' "Na Na Hey Hey". And dig that sax break just before Mary's "Baby". Motown took that song and made it all their own. It's one of my favorite tracks on the NWBLS album. I'm really surprised that people don't like it.

Bluebrock
12-25-2017, 07:12 AM
The reason it’s a sports anthem here is because it is so simplistic - kind of like The Letter by the Boxtops
Now that is a tune!!!

Bluebrock
12-25-2017, 07:15 AM
Thank goodness. For a moment I thought you would also drop a Christmas shade on 'Chewy, Chewy'. Most of the posters on this thread are on my ignore list, but what I have learned from those not blocked is that Florence never recorded NNHH, but if she had it would have been better than Jean, who did [[but, perhaps, should not have) recorded NNHH, and which version would not have been as good as Diana's, had she [[though it seems she did not, and definitely should not have) recorded NNHH. Interesting stuff.
Ha Ha! Nice one peaceNHarmony! Merry Christmas to you and indeed everyone on this forum

marv2
12-25-2017, 03:34 PM
I agree, Marv. I love The Supremes' "Na Na Hey Hey". And dig that sax break just before Mary's "Baby". Motown took that song and made it all their own. It's one of my favorite tracks on the NWBLS album. I'm really surprised that people don't like it.

Most people I know liked it. In fact, we use to dance to it when it was originally released on the album back in '70. That sax solo gave it some grit!

RanRan79
12-26-2017, 11:28 AM

I always thought the higher voice sounded like Cindy Birdsong.

RanRan79
12-26-2017, 11:33 AM

Did you really think that?:rolleyes: I read MANY years ago that Diana sang backup on a Four Tops song. How true the claim is, I don't know. I can't remember the source but I almost recall the song title was never given. Diana being pulled into a Four Tops recording session wouldn't shock me. Diana allowing herself to be pulled into a Supremes recording session after she left, and Mary wanting to pull her into a Supremes recording session after she was rid of Diana, just doesn't seem likely.

RanRan79
12-26-2017, 11:41 AM

People are beginning to acknowledge that? I see a bunch of different opinions floating around here about the voices of each of the three original Supremes [[and their replacements). Everyone has their favorite voices. Sadly some of the criticism leveled at Diana's voice is from people who have created an ax to grind with someone they've never even met. Equally as sad is that some of the criticism leveled at Florence and Mary as vocalist come from the need to exalt the Motown Queen and feeling there's more power in it when diminishing the talents of the ones around her. My gut tells me that Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight could've backed up Diana Ross in the Supremes and some folks would swear Ree and Gladys didn't have the goods.

The Supremes were brilliant together and apart in my book.

RanRan79
12-26-2017, 11:49 AM
What I have learned this year is that if you use a mobile phone and you have people on ignore, you can’t cheat and peek to see how crazy someone went. On a desktop, I can cheat and peek.

If you have someone on ignore, how does it show up on the board? Is there a gap between messages, where an empty box appears letting you know that the reason you can't see the message is because you have the person on ignore? I'm just curious because that one dude has to tell us in just about every thread he posts in that he has people on ignore. We get it already, you make use of the ignore feature. What does he want, a cookie? Good grief.:rolleyes:

luke
12-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Yes I really Thought it from the first when it was released. And as soon as I heard it I thought it was Diana at the very end and friends of mine thought it too. [[ and some people hear think it’s possible as well). Mary and Diana maintained a connection for a # of years after Diana left . It was documented in a number of books.[[ Diana was godmother to Mary’s daughter, concert appearances together, party invitations, dinner ...)

jobeterob
12-26-2017, 07:42 PM
If you have someone on ignore, how does it show up on the board? Is there a gap between messages, where an empty box appears letting you know that the reason you can't see the message is because you have the person on ignore? I'm just curious because that one dude has to tell us in just about every thread he posts in that he has people on ignore. We get it already, you make use of the ignore feature. What does he want, a cookie? Good grief.:rolleyes:

On a desktop, you get a message saying someone you have on ignore had posted, and you can click to see the post.

Using the mobile app, there is no such feature; you have to take them off ignore to see the post

PeaceNHarmony
12-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Ha Ha! Nice one peaceNHarmony! Merry Christmas to you and indeed everyone on this forum
And to you as well, Bluebrock! I'm glad a few of us here like my sense of humor!

RanRan79
12-27-2017, 12:17 PM
On a desktop, you get a message saying someone you have on ignore had posted, and you can click to see the post.

Using the mobile app, there is no such feature; you have to take them off ignore to see the post

Thanks for the info Rob.

Bluebrock
12-28-2017, 09:09 AM
And to you as well, Bluebrock! I'm glad a few of us here like my sense of humor!
Oh yes brother! Keep up the good work.

detmotownguy
12-28-2017, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=marv2;431944]It's really excellent in my opinion. The tom tom drums and Mary Wilson repeating "baby", "bab-bay" as Cindy and Jean joins in. Love it! LOL!!![/QUOTE Happy New Year Marv! I always liked the slight rock edge of the Sups JMC and maintain that Mary’s voice was an integral part of their sound by avoiding the generic sound of session singers as shown on many of original Sups later records. Mary did a great job as lead on their last two records and it is inaccurate to say that she was NOT a lead singer. She did a great job and the effort to diminish her contributions, skills and talents are futile. When you hear the the original Sups sing in harmony, you had 3 diff voices and Mary was an imp. component to that success/sound. I am more of a 70’s fan, but DMF harmonizing together are the best of the best. I swear that a higher power put those three together!

marv2
12-28-2017, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;431944]It's really excellent in my opinion. The tom tom drums and Mary Wilson repeating "baby", "bab-bay" as Cindy and Jean joins in. Love it! LOL!!![/QUOTE Happy New Year Marv! I always liked the slight rock edge of the Sups JMC and maintain that Mary’s voice was an integral part of their sound by avoiding the generic sound of session singers as shown on many of original Sups later records. Mary did a great job as lead on their last two records and it is inaccurate to say that she was NOT a lead singer. She did a great job and the effort to diminish her contributions, skills and talents are futile. When you hear the the original Sups sing in harmony, you had 3 diff voices and Mary was an imp. component to that success/sound. I am more of a 70’s fan, but DMF harmonizing together are the best of the best. I swear that a higher power put those three together!

Mary was fine as wine and her voice silk and sexy! She was the perfect counterpoint to the really high voices she sang with in the group. She was the only Supreme that was able to blend with different partners over the year's of the groups career. She was also the one that gave them their "visual appeal" in mine and a lot of guys opinions.......hehehehehehe!

Happy New Year DET!

RanRan79
12-28-2017, 04:02 PM
DMF harmonizing together are the best of the best. I swear that a higher power put those three together!

Sadly the Supremes are not largely remembered [[by the general public) for their vocal harmony. Flo, Diana and Mary had a beautiful blend. There were times when either Flo or Diana might stray outside the blend and this highlights the brilliance of Mary's ability to harmonize. In those moments it's Mary who usually keeps the harmony on point. But when each of them was at their best, their harmony was perfect. IMO of the well known girl groups at Motown during the time, note for note, the Andantes had the best blend. The Supremes and Martha and the Vandellas tie at second. Both groups seemed to have the same strengths and weaknesses with slightly different approaches. The Velvelettes were third. They were great but the sound was a bit "stale" if you ask me. The Marvelettes should be thankful they had fantastic showmanship. I once read on a thread someone say that the Marvelettes could sing the Supremes under the table, or some such other statement. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I had to laugh at that one. I'll say no more.

detmotownguy
12-28-2017, 09:53 PM
Sadly the Supremes are not largely remembered [[by the general public) for their vocal harmony. Flo, Diana and Mary had a beautiful blend. There were times when either Flo or Diana might stray outside the blend and this highlights the brilliance of Mary's ability to harmonize. In those moments it's Mary who usually keeps the harmony on point. But when each of them was at their best, their harmony was perfect. IMO of the well known girl groups at Motown during the time, note for note, the Andantes had the best blend. The Supremes and Martha and the Vandellas tie at second. Both groups seemed to have the same strengths and weaknesses with slightly different approaches. The Velvelettes were third. They were great but the sound was a bit "stale" if you ask me. The Marvelettes should be thankful they had fantastic showmanship. I once read on a thread someone say that the Marvelettes could sing the Supremes under the table, or some such other statement. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I had to laugh at that one. I'll say no more. In the early 90Â’s I saw the original Vandellas live and w a minimal band they sounded Exactly like the original recordings.

RanRan79
12-28-2017, 10:33 PM
In the early 90Â’s I saw the original Vandellas live and w a minimal band they sounded Exactly like the original recordings.

I can believe it!