PDA

View Full Version : Strongly Split Vote For Diamond Diana : - As Many Hate It As Love It

test

Boogiedown
12-20-2017, 03:33 AM
Of the people commenting at HSN :

https://www.hsn.com/products/diamond-diana-diana-ross-34-fl-oz-eau-de-parfum/8520364

with 242 responses as of 12/19/17:

109 give the fragrance 4 or 5 stars.
120 give the fragrance 1 or 2 stars.
13 are right in the middle with 3 stars

[[Some comments mention that the test crowd that got initial free bottles were more generous in their ratings than those that came in later from people that had to put out money for it.)

The percent of those that would recommend Diamond Diana to a friend : 26%

I thought it a risky enterprise to begin with. Selling a perfume over the air, scent unsmelled, without any way of first previewing it.
Of course not everyone is going to like it [[no matter what it smells like) , and obviously shoppers approached buying it optimistically based on the Diana Ross name and endorsement and there seems to be genuine disappointment from those that are .

Reading these comments, , this home-shopping crowd appears unhesitant to return something they don't like. Must be part of the joy and satisfaction of shopping this way.
I'm guessing it'll all pan out in Diana's favor . Evenly split does not seem like desired odds though although this is just the vocal crowd 's reaction.

Jimi LaLumia
12-20-2017, 06:14 AM
who cares? She had a spectacular year in 2017,and the haters will just HAVE to GET OVER IT!!..Merry Christmas..

PeaceNHarmony
12-20-2017, 06:39 AM
who cares? She had a spectacular year in 2017,and the haters will just HAVE to GET OVER IT!!..Merry Christmas..
Doncha wonder about people who would buy a cd of music they already know, then claim to 'hate' it? My guess? The 'haters' didn't buy it, they are just the same pathetic crew that live their lives trying to deny the continuing success of the legendary Diana Ross!

Jimi LaLumia
12-20-2017, 06:48 AM
the feedback is about the fragrance, not the CD, but still same difference, nobody, no nobody, is gonna rain on her parade!! She was the centerpiece of the AMAS, had a huge touring year, a top ten Billboard Dance chart single and was all over tv and a Best Of CD for the holidays..not losing any sleep

PeaceNHarmony
12-20-2017, 08:15 AM
the feedback is about the fragrance, not the CD, but still same difference, nobody, no nobody, is gonna rain on her parade!! She was the centerpiece of the AMAS, had a huge touring year, a top ten Billboard Dance chart single and was all over tv and a Best Of CD for the holidays..not losing any sleep
A-ha! I didn't see the original post; probably by someone I long ago blocked for the same reason. And, yes, it's been a great Ross-centric year!

Circa 1824
12-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Why all the defensiveness every time something is said about Ross that u don’t like, but might be true. No one is trying to rain on her parade. Some just don’t like the stinking perfume, period. I did not smell it, but maybe she and her perfume guy [[who she brought out on camera) missed the boat. Many complained it was an old lady scent. Many said they were returning it which they have the right to do.

I think she she should have gone the more classy way and sell it through retail rather than HSN. But tv home shopping is a way to reach many people and make a fast buck

helga
12-20-2017, 10:23 AM
I bought the perfume and have to be honest that I also don't love it. If I encountered it in a store and it didn't have Diana's name on it, I wouldn't buy it. It's very strong and you have to use it extremely sparingly. The first couple of times I used it, it made me quite dizzy. Lots of musk in it, which was surprising. It smells more like a men's cologne than a women's perfume. I get they were trying to be gender neutral, but it smells more manly, more than anything else. Also smells very vintage. They should have went for something a little more fresh and light. The bottle and box are beautiful though. As for those in this thread who are responding, "WHO CARES", well that is their opinion...we are here to discuss after all. This is only my opinion. Thanks.

RanRan79
12-20-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm so glad I don't participate in celebrity worship. I love Miss Ross, the woman who is tied with Aretha as my all time favorite female vocalist. She has brought me endless musical enjoyment and she'll forever occupy a very special place in my heart. But until she climbs on a cross and sacrifices herself for me, she can go kick rocks if it means I'm not allowed to criticize her for any reason. People just spent nearly 100 bucks on Diana's perfume, didn't like it, and someone has the nerve to say "so what"? I was going to look for a more pleasant, holiday inspired way of responding to that but I just have to be blunt: GO FUCK YOURSELF.

RanRan79
12-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Now, having gotten that nonsense out of the way...buying scent un-smelled is always a risky move. I had hoped to purchase a bottle for my mother until I thought about two things:

1) I personally have a rule for anyone potentially buying me a gift to leave cologne alone unless they know it's a scent I already wear, as I am very particular about what I like in a fragrance and what I don't. So I also figure it to be a good rule even when looking for a gift for someone else myself. Unless I know it's something the other person wears already, it's best to let someone pick their own scent out. I would've hated to spend that money on Diamond Diana only for my mother to sit it on her dresser and never use it.

2) It just didn't make a lot of sense to me to buy a scent that I didn't have the opportunity to smell first. Fragrances on TV will work only when someone invents Smellivision.

When I learned that it had musky tones to it, that really put me off. I don't want a woman smelling like a man. I get she wanted to go neutral- probably to accommodate her male fans- but that was an easy turn off for a buyer like me potentially buying for a woman. With the buyer feedback it appears going to HSN may have been a mistake for the fragrance. Honestly Diamond Diana probably would've been a big hit in stores if she stocked in department stores and had an incredible Diamond Diana television ad campaign. She is still the epitome of glamour and beauty. Can't you imagine her in some Dior inspired ad? HSN would've been a fine route for the Diamond Diana clothing line.

I'm disappointed that the feedback wasn't overwhelmingly positive, but I hope this doesn't stop Ross from undertaking any more fashion ventures. She should've been doing this all along.

jobeterob
12-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Many years ago a business bought their staff random perfumes as Christmas presents and gave them to the secretaries

It was fine for some of them but went over like a lead balloon with others

PeaceNHarmony
12-20-2017, 12:32 PM
I bought the perfume and have to be honest that I also don't love it. If I encountered it in a store and it didn't have Diana's name on it, I wouldn't buy it. It's very strong and you have to use it extremely sparingly. The first couple of times I used it, it made me quite dizzy. Lots of musk in it, which was surprising. It smells more like a men's cologne than a women's perfume. I get they were trying to be gender neutral, but it smells more manly, more than anything else. Also smells very vintage. They should have went for something a little more fresh and light. The bottle and box are beautiful though. As for those in this thread who are responding, "WHO CARES", well that is their opinion...we are here to discuss after all. This is only my opinion. Thanks.
HSN usually has a good return policy. Perhaps you can return the bottle and 'forget' to include the presentation box :D !

temptationsfan500
12-20-2017, 05:25 PM
A fool and their money are easily parted. Why would anyone buy a perfume without smelling it first to make sure they like it?

jobeterob
12-20-2017, 06:56 PM
A fool and their money are easily parted. Why would anyone buy a perfume without smelling it first to make sure they like it?

What Becomes a Legend Most?

helga
12-20-2017, 09:33 PM
HSN usually has a good return policy. Perhaps you can return the bottle and 'forget' to include the presentation box :D !

Haha! I want to keep the bottle too. Perhaps I could dump the perfume in a Tupperware container and just return that to HSN? I'll even put a pretty bow on top. Lol.

I find the perfume is bearable if I use half a spray and rub it between both wrists. Otherwise it will surely render you unconscious.

I wonder if she was given the opportunity to smell it and approve it first before it was manufactured?

PeaceNHarmony
12-21-2017, 06:51 AM
Haha! I want to keep the bottle too. Perhaps I could dump the perfume in a Tupperware container and just return that to HSN? I'll even put a pretty bow on top. Lol.

I find the perfume is bearable if I use half a spray and rub it between both wrists. Otherwise it will surely render you unconscious.

I wonder if she was given the opportunity to smell it and approve it first before it was manufactured?
I would think so, though I don't know. I believe Diana has been known to favor more intense perfumes [[Chanel no.5 comes to mind). I do like the T'ware idea; you can tell them the scent caused the bottle to explode!

helga
12-21-2017, 09:53 AM
I do like the T'ware idea; you can tell them the scent caused the bottle to explode!

lol! Dynamite Diana. I'll tell them someone passed gas in close proximity to the fragrance and it combusted.

temptationsfan500
12-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Interesting that a lot of those who don't like complain about it being an "old lady" perfume. Diana Ross is in her 70s. Chronologically that's old.

Jimi LaLumia
12-21-2017, 07:52 PM
Is the perfume still available? NOW I'm gonna buy it..as a collectible..

sophisticated_soul
12-21-2017, 08:18 PM
I love the scent, it's inviting but not overwhelming. Very pleasant and feels good on.:)

marv2
12-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Maybe she can re-brand it by taking a hint from "Boomerang" and Stronge- "Diana... It Stinks So Good!" LOL!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgpnWoRbXg

vgalindo
12-23-2017, 08:42 PM
I love the scent. So glad I bought it.

Boogiedown
12-24-2017, 12:26 AM
Is the perfume still available? NOW I'm gonna buy it..as a collectible..

If the returns remain strong you may be able to score it soon at Marshall's for 18.50. :p

Thanks for your review Helga ! Many people have commented it has a baby powder element to it?? Did you find that?

So there's what, three people here reporting to really like it? ?? And only a handful here that bought it?

Circa 1824
12-24-2017, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=Boogiedown;431855]If the returns remain strong you may be able to score it soon at Marshall's for 18.50. :p

I’d buy it for $18.50 !!

helga
12-24-2017, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your review Helga ! Many people have commented it has a baby powder element to it?? Did you find that?

Hmmm yes I suppose there is a hint of baby powder smell to it. I can detect it but it is mostly overpowered by the musk. She should have left the musk out. I know they added that element for the males but I know many of the gay fans would have still purchased it if it had smelled more light and flowery. I think part of it was Diana wanting to appeal to all sides and part of it was also her wanting mix in her own self described male and female energy. She definitely stayed true to herself.

Most of my family and friends who have smelled it do not care for it. Only my husband is ok with it and he doesn't love it. I can live with it. Lol.

vgalindo
12-25-2017, 04:13 PM
I gave it to my mom for Christmas and she loves it.

sophisticated_soul
12-25-2017, 04:16 PM
I gave it to my mom for Christmas and she loves it.

What a thoughtful and generous gift.:)

vgalindo
12-25-2017, 04:43 PM
What a thoughtful and generous gift.:)
Thank you Sophisticated_Soul. I was so happy that she really did love it.