PDA

View Full Version : If Diana Ross Re-recorded An Album

test

Koach
12-19-2017, 04:34 PM
I seem to remember our having a conversation like this a long time ago. If Ms. Ross were to re-record one of her [[or a Supremes) album, which would you pick? I don't know of any musical artist who did such a thing, so she might start a new trend. My choice would have to be Eaten Alive, known as my favorite album of hers. I'd like Barry Gibb to produce it, having her re-record all the tracks with a more modern backing, having her record certain tracks of the Bee Gees and ones he gave to others, and some all new recordings.

RanRan79
12-19-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm all for new Ross, but re-recording one of her albums would be a horrible real life move. But in Fantasy Land, if she were going to re-record anything my vote would be I Love You. As I said before, she picked good songs, its just that the production value was horribly low. If she went back in with a quality producer and with top notch tracks, I Love You could be classic. Of course Diana re-recording all the songs from Blue would be easy enough for her, I'm sure.

Circa 1824
12-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Even in fantasy I would not want it. I either like the old stuff or I don't. And, I would not want either repeated.

jobeterob
12-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Not sure about that either.

I think of all the possibilities, I would choose going with Alicia and Pharell and whoever the current crop is.

Is Aretha's re-recording of old hits recently released?

PeaceNHarmony
12-19-2017, 08:13 PM
I just have no interest in re-records whatsoever! None. The Aretha desecration came and went. As one reviewer put it, as if they were making a posthumous album before she died. Which, sadly, I think had lots to do with this piece of sh... product being issued.

kenneth
12-19-2017, 09:05 PM
I just have no interest in re-records whatsoever! None. The Aretha desecration came and went. As one reviewer put it, as if they were making a posthumous album before she died. Which, sadly, I think had lots to do with this piece of sh... product being issued.

I wondered about that! Did it get pretty lousy reviews?

I have never liked these duets with those who have already departed for the Great Beyond. Do we blame Natalie Cole for this trend? Wasn't she the first when she sang "Unforgettable" with her father? I don't know, it just seems ghoulish to me!

gman
12-20-2017, 01:36 AM
Sometimes these projects work, sometimes they don't. Natalie's was at least very well done...songbooks, duets, re-recordings are a still lingering 80's trend. Unplugged was hot for awhile. Heart redid their entire Dreamboat Annie LP for the Rock Classic LPS Live series and that was pretty good. Perhaps something like the entire Baby It's Me or Debut LP would work live?

vgalindo
12-20-2017, 02:57 AM
Didn't Dionne Warwick re-record some of her old sixties songs? I think it got really bad reviews.

reese
12-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Didn't Dionne Warwick re-record some of her old sixties songs? I think it got really bad reviews.

She's done it quite a few times, starting with DIONNE SINGS DIONNE in 1998. That particular cd was well-done in my opinion. The tracks were a mix of remakes and new songs. I'm not a fan of artists remaking their own hits. They usually pale compared to the originals, but in this case, they weren't straight note-for-note copies. Arrangements were different, and Dionne sounded great on both the old and new material. It is too bad though not surprising that it was basically ignored given Dionne hadn't had a hit since 1987.

She has continued the concept on subsequent albums. Some of these are fine, but I don't think any of them have worked as well as DIONNE SINGS DIONNE. Plus I think she has exhausted the remakes and duets angle.

RanRan79
12-20-2017, 11:05 AM
I love the idea of her doing a live album of a full album. That idea has potential. But studio wise, I want new material, whether the songs have been done by someone else or not. I would love for her to hookup with Post Modern Jukebox and do a whole album of songs you would NEVER have expected her to cover from the last 20 years, but in a very retro way. I think she could even have a hit album out of something like that.

Bluebrock
12-21-2017, 07:24 AM
Not sure about that either.

I think of all the possibilities, I would choose going with Alicia and Pharell and whoever the current crop is.

Is Aretha's re-recording of old hits recently released?
This project used Aretha's original vocals but with new backing vocals by the likes of Patti Austin, and of the Orchestra backing her. I haven't invested in this cd as yet but probably will.

Bluebrock
12-21-2017, 07:27 AM
She's done it quite a few times, starting with DIONNE SINGS DIONNE in 1998. That particular cd was well-done in my opinion. The tracks were a mix of remakes and new songs. I'm not a fan of artists remaking their own hits. They usually pale compared to the originals, but in this case, they weren't straight note-for-note copies. Arrangements were different, and Dionne sounded great on both the old and new material. It is too bad though not surprising that it was basically ignored given Dionne hadn't had a hit since 1987.

She has continued the concept on subsequent albums. Some of these are fine, but I don't think any of them have worked as well as DIONNE SINGS DIONNE. Plus I think she has exhausted the remakes and duets angle.
These were very much and miss projects, mostly miss in my opinion. I don't think it is a good idea for a veteran performer to revisit their old hits, especially when their vocals are no longer on a par with what they once where.

Bluebrock
12-21-2017, 07:29 AM
Even in fantasy I would not want it. I either like the old stuff or I don't. And, I would not want either repeated.
Totally agree with you. A very bad idea. Either record a new album of contemporary material or do an album of jazz style oldies rather than the American songbook route which has been done to death.

daviddh
12-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Diana has a voice that can sing anything and has done so. I think the key here is a good producer.

PeaceNHarmony
12-22-2017, 09:11 AM
Diana has a voice that can sing anything and has done so. I think the key here is a good producer.
An enthusiastic agreement from me!