PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cindy Birdsong TV Performances

test

gman
12-15-2017, 02:47 AM
I would have to say Forever Came Today from the DRATS era....they looked so classy and sophisticated in those tight black gowns...and they gave a great performance.
From the 70's Jean period I like the video of "Something", and from the Scherrie years I love the "All I Want" triple lead....and both "Star Spangled Banner" acapella performances.
Hope Cindy had a birthday that was as sweet as she is.

sup_fan
12-15-2017, 10:53 AM
hmmm - good question

DMC - Fats Waller medley
MJC - Brother Love medley on Tom Jones
MSC - He's My Man on Dinah Shore [[the one in the lavender tops and black pants)

a few other honorable mentions:
*opening segments of TCB in the swirl gowns [[TCB, Stop, Hangin')
*funny girl songs on Bob Hope

If you don't mind me adding to the thread:

Fav Cindy lead parts - I know there's not much but I think she deserves a real nod for her beautiful lead lines on Bridge Over Troubled Water. so sexy, soft, warm

gman
12-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Love the "Brother Love" medley...the "New" Supremes early TV performances were indeed a group effort. Those Lavender/Black
pant outfits are the outfits from the Touch LP liner. Cindy looks
stunning on the front cover...always loved that cover with the soft B/W photo outlined by the fluorescent trims. I think Mary stole the moment in those green TCB gowns with the long hair. I always wondered why Cindy had the same hair for the entire show. She looked great with the long hair on Palace and Ed shows from '69

luke
12-15-2017, 09:26 PM
I love her solo on Love Train in Japan.

imakicola
12-16-2017, 06:33 PM
I loved the love train one too!

I really liked her in Love the One You’re With, as well as reflections [[Cindy tends to just sway and sometimes seems to be in a daze while swaying and lipsynching, but when she did reflections on Sammy Davis jr, she was really dancing very very well). Loved her high alto during the acapella national anthem [[the one with the jackets), and in the temptations I’m losing you her dancing was really awesome. She was also super cute in the fats waller medley and the Malteds over Manhattan

marv2
12-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Sammy & Company - January 1976
The Tonight Show - 1975
The Flip Wilson Show - January 1971

detmotownguy
12-17-2017, 01:27 AM
I loved the love train one too!

I really liked her in Love the One You’re With, as well as reflections [[Cindy tends to just sway and sometimes seems to be in a daze while swaying and lipsynching, but when she did reflections on Sammy Davis jr, she was really dancing very very well). Loved her high alto during the acapella national anthem [[the one with the jackets), and in the temptations I’m losing you her dancing was really awesome. She was also super cute in the fats waller medley and the Malteds over Manhattan

The National Anthem is the best Supremes performance. They were perfect. Damn we r lucky to have these media to watch over and over. Ms. Birdsong was absolutely beautiful inside and out.

gman
12-17-2017, 02:50 AM
The National Anthem is the best Supremes performance. They were perfect. Damn we r lucky to have these media to watch over and over. Ms. Birdsong was absolutely beautiful inside and out.

Which one of the 2 do you like better? The harmony is excellent in both, but I like the outdoor version with Cindy in the center better.

RanRan79
12-17-2017, 04:08 PM
The Fats Waller Medley was DRATS at their best and Cindy was an equal part of the whole thing. There's also a medley that the girls do on the Bing Crosby special where they sing with Bing. Cindy's voice stands out in the harmony in the way Flo's voice used to [[in fact IMO she sounds an awful lot like Flo during this medley) and she sounds absolutely beautiful. That may be my favorite Cindy television performance.

detmotownguy
12-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Hard to answer lol! I haven’t slept since u posed the question!!!! Tomorrow I will let u know.

floyjoy678
12-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Hmm this is tough for me, after Flo left I only paid attention to Diana. I'm actually gonna go with when they appeared on Glen Campbell's show. Cindy really seemed to be having a ball on that one especially during the Keep the Customer Satisfied medley.

Circa 1824
12-20-2017, 08:30 AM
I liked Cindy, but I only focused on Ross. When Ross left the group, so did I.

temptationsfan500
12-20-2017, 05:28 PM
I enjoyed Cindy and the Supremes when they did "I Know I'm Losing You" with The Temptations on Ed Sullivan. Motown at its best.

detmotownguy
12-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Which one of the 2 do you like better? The harmony is excellent in both, but I like the outdoor version with Cindy in the center better.

Agree, Cindy in the center.

gman
12-21-2017, 05:09 AM
thanks for responding....the images in the boxing ring one are clearer, but obviously they planned & rehearsed it a bit more for this outdoor clip. the first time was actually [[according to MW's book) an accident. The group thought there would be musical accompaniment, [[Where's the music? ...hand gesture...the music?...There is no music...OK..we see a concerned look on Scherrie's face...hum a note and begin) Wah-La!!! task undertaken and yields great results...and there's a look of triumph, gratitude and great relief on Mary's face when she backs away at the conclusion

marv2
12-21-2017, 12:35 PM
thanks for responding....the images in the boxing ring one are clearer, but obviously they planned & rehearsed it a bit more for this outdoor clip. the first time was actually [[according to MW's book) an accident. The group thought there would be musical accompaniment, [[Where's the music? ...hand gesture...the music?...There is no music...OK..we see a concerned look on Scherrie's face...hum a note and begin) Wah-La!!! task undertaken and yields great results...and there's a look of triumph, gratitude and great relief on Mary's face when she backs away at the conclusion

The first time was the NFL game in 1974. The second in 1975 when the music failed was the Ali-Ron Lyles fight.

gman
12-21-2017, 08:34 PM
I didn't know that! thanks for the tidbit...I can never know enough about my fav. 70's lineup....enjoy the day!

marv2
12-22-2017, 01:25 AM
I didn't know that! thanks for the tidbit...I can never know enough about my fav. 70's lineup....enjoy the day!

Thank you and by all means, please do the same.

detmotownguy
12-22-2017, 09:24 PM
The 70’s ladies never lacked for talent! Be so cool for Mary to do something with the current Flos’s. I doubt there are any issues between them to sing a few songs. MSS was loaded with talent.

gman
12-23-2017, 02:14 AM
That seems like the most likely reunion of any kind. I hope there is a bit more vocal control...many of those live performances with Susaye in the line up were a bit too much & way over the top for me. The studio work was far easier on the ears.
I wish Cindy had stayed...they had [[IMHO) the best blend and sound with the MSC lineup...Cindy was my favorite soprano in the group.

detmotownguy
12-23-2017, 02:30 AM
That seems like the most likely reunion of any kind. I hope there is a bit more vocal control...many of those live performances with Susaye in the line up were a bit too much & way over the top for me. The studio work was far easier on the ears.
I wish Cindy had stayed...they had [[IMHO) the best blend and sound with the MSC lineup...Cindy was my favorite soprano in the group.
Point understood. But damn the song High Energy was and is my fav Sups recording. I believe Mary has sung a bit with Scherrie over the last couple of years.