PDA

View Full Version : Jackie ross

test

Motown_M_1056
02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I was listening to her Chess album last night and wondered whatever happened to her? Jackie had a soulful voice and she often reminded you of Aretha, the Emotions, Brenda Holloway, Diana Ross and Mary Wells...she could sound like all of 'em. I was surprised to find some recent videos on YouTube where she re-recorded Selfish One and a few other songs with Ian Levine, who is mining Chicago soul now I guess. She still looks great although she sounds different. I also noticed her records are still popular with Beach Music fans. Can someone put a date on the recordings with Ian Levine? Were they ever released? Does Jackie Ross still reside in Chicago?:cool:

GeeTee(HPK)
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Jackie still resides in Chicago. She sings gospel these days,but she recently performed with Syl Johnson in November of 2010, as a background vocalist.

mark speck
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Grapevine 2000 in the UK issued a comp of her post-Chess material called "Take the Hurt Off Me", which I highly recommend.

Best,

Mark

mowest
02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
One of the best songs of 1964 was Jackie Ross' "Selfish One." It just missed Billboard's Top 10, stalling at #11.

arrr&bee
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I remember when a local dj called jackie[diana's little sister]and we believed him!