View Full Version : Temptations-Power-Midnight Special performance

test

temptationsfan500
12-04-2017, 09:28 PM
At their best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBB57yYCJwM

marv2
12-04-2017, 09:53 PM
I remember seeing this the night it was originally broadcast.

arr&bee
12-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Oh yeah,the temps doin it!

edafan
12-05-2017, 08:41 PM
I love Melvin starting it off

edafan

temptationsfan500
12-05-2017, 08:53 PM
I love Melvin starting it off

edafan

Melvin rocks Power. And Dennis blows the roof off that m'f at the end.

BritishTony
12-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Temptationsfan500 OMG my alltime favourite song from myalltime favourite group.
And I’ve never seen this!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I’m currently on a lonely sales trip across northernEurope and this sends me to bed so happy and contented.
This is what makes our forum so great – our shared loveof our Motown artists across decades and continents.
Sleep well everyone.

marv2
12-06-2017, 07:02 PM
This appearance aired on May 30, 1980 on NBC.

TomatoTom123
12-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Well I've already watched this several times so told myself I wouldn't watch it again as there's no point

But I had to, lol... and I thoroughly enjoyed it... for the 57th time

Can I just say, ALL The Tempts are AMAZING on this one. Every time I listen to it my favourite performance changes I think. As Tempts fan said, Melvin absolutely rocks it... Glenn is smooth as ever... Dennis sounds like some crazy funky preacher... and Richard oh my that voice. And there’s that ultra-funky guitar... phew

Such a fantatsic song. Love it. :)

temptationsfan500
12-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Well I've already watched this several times so told myself I wouldn't watch it again as there's no point

But I had to, lol... and I thoroughly enjoyed it... for the 57th time

Can I just say, ALL The Tempts are AMAZING on this one. Every time I listen to it my favourite performance changes I think. As Tempts fan said, Melvin absolutely rocks it... Glenn is smooth as ever... Dennis sounds like some crazy funky preacher... and Richard oh my that voice. And there’s that ultra-funky guitar... phew

Such a fantatsic song. Love it. :)

When you look up music in a dictionary [[if they got them) you're going to see a picture of The Temptations.

TomatoTom123
12-08-2017, 11:34 AM
When you look up music in a dictionary [[if they got them) you're going to see a picture of The Temptations.

I didn’t know what you meant there temptsfan but then I got it.

And YES, well, there definitely should be!

lockhartgary
12-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Is this a mix from the album? I know the 45 version was not this long.

masterblaster
12-08-2017, 03:35 PM
This should have a much bigger hit and this performance would have generated higher record sales if it had been shown here in the UK. Still, we can be thankful that the song 'tempted' the group to return to Motown.

TomatoTom123
12-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Is this a mix from the album? I know the 45 version was not this long.

Hey gary, I think so. The album version is 6 minutes long, and The Tempts are singing for about that long I think. The “open up heaven's door” verse isn’t in the single version I believe. :)

temptationsfan500
12-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Didn't the uprising in the Liberty City section of Miami put a halt of Power's rise on the charts? I think I read somewhere [[in Otis' book?) that programmers became afraid of playing the song because of the message? If so, stupid. Power is another great Temptations protest/message song.

marv2
12-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Didn't the uprising in the Liberty City section of Miami put a halt of Power's rise on the charts? I think I read somewhere [[in Otis' book?) that programmers became afraid of playing the song because of the message? If so, stupid. Power is another great Temptations protest/message song.

You know what? They said that, but I don't believe that. It was 1980 and I was around. Music was still good, but he did not have the type of heavy social consciousness messages that was out there in the 60s and early 70s. Those riots were going on without being influence by any music. That particular riot paled in comparison to what we lived through in the 1960s. It is a nice story, but I it is not true. The Liberty City riot had nothing to do with "Power" by the Temptations not rising higher on the charts. There was a lot of good music out at that time and the competition was pretty tough.

temptationsfan500
12-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Just looked at Otis' book. He says that Power got off to a good start when released but then pop stations stopped playing the song after the Miami riots. He didn't say Power caused the riots, just that some stations on the pop side pulled it in the aftermath. He goes on to write about hard it was in the 80s for The Temptations to get their singles played on pop radio.