PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Temptations/Supremes album?

test

temptationsfan500
11-27-2017, 02:47 PM
I'm not crazy about any of them, but I will go with Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations because of the hit I'm Gonna Make You Love Me. But all the albums are just fillers and covers. The Tempts were going for a new sound at this time and Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong were crafting some great songs for them, reinventing the group's sound and image. The Supremes projects were too middle of the road and thrown together without a dynamic creative vision. Something that was a problem for the Supremes after HDH left Motown.

Circa 1824
11-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Diana's prime vocals saved the both albums.

TomatoTom123
11-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Hey temptationsfan, I also looooove "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" which as you say was on Diana Ross & The Supremes Join The Temptations, the first of the duet albums. Also love the jazzy "Try It, Baby"... Melvin & Paul and Diana are just all fantastic!!! There are also great versions of "I Second That Emotion" and "Ain’t No Mountain High Enough"...!

[[I don’t have the second album yet so can’t really compare :))

I do agree however, about the stoopid and unnecessary covers... "The Impossible Dream"... wtf... lol

jobeterob
11-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Diana Ross & the Supremes Join the Temptations is a classic album - it outsold the #1 album, TCB.

The rest of the albums were leftovers from the first album but it was a remarkable TV Special and remarkable collaboration, the likes of which Motown never really replicated.

Quinn
11-27-2017, 09:22 PM
I would have to go with "Love Child" here.My aunt who was a huge Supremes fan gave me her collection when I was 13.When I heard "How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone",I was beside myself.The intro was especially interesting because it had a dark feel to it and the vibes really gave it a dramatic edge.I would run in the house to play it in the middle of fun with my neighborhood buddies. Greatest Supremes album, post H-D-H.

Bluebrock
11-28-2017, 04:06 AM
I'm not crazy about any of them, but I will go with Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations because of the hit I'm Gonna Make You Love Me. But all the albums are just fillers and covers. The Tempts were going for a new sound at this time and Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong were crafting some great songs for them, reinventing the group's sound and image. The Supremes projects were too middle of the road and thrown together without a dynamic creative vision. Something that was a problem for the Supremes after HDH left Motown.
I agree with you. None of them trouble my cd player on a regular basis. They were poorly conceived and whilst the performers did their best with the material they do not make for consistent albums. I would say this is even more the case with the later Supremes and Four Tops albums. On the face of it the blending of the voices of Jean and Levi sounded like a marriage made in heaven. The reality of it was much different.
Both of these collaborations had such potential, but were wasted on sub standard covers. Such a shame.

RanRan79
11-28-2017, 09:44 AM

Join has to be my favorite. Together sounds like the producers just threw some shit...together, although there are a couple of gems on it. These two super groups coming together should have churned out one classic song after another. The two groups definitely had great chemistry. The recordings should've been the result of top shelf cuts.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-29-2017, 01:41 AM
Always loved "The Supremes Join The Temptations" [[yes, even "The Impossible Dream", Tom!). 😉 "TCB" had it's moments throughout, and I loved Side 1 of "On Broadway". For me, however, Side 2 sucked, as did most of "Together". Lousy album cover, boring and weird musical arrangements, and "The Weight" [[of all things) released as a single which was about as Motown-ish as the man in the moon. Exceptions were "For Better Or Worse" and "Why [[Must We Fall In Love)" which I love.

jobeterob
11-29-2017, 02:03 AM
Always loved "The Supremes Join The Temptations" [[yes, even "The Impossible Dream", Tom!). 😉 "TCB" had it's moments throughout, and I loved Side 1 of "On Broadway". For me, however, Side 2 sucked, as did most of "Together". Lousy album cover, boring and weird musical arrangements, and "The Weight" [[of all things) released as a single which was about as Motown-ish as the man in the moon. Exceptions were "For Better Or Worse" and "Why [[Must We Fall In Love)" which I love.

Those were definitely the two good songs.

arr&bee
11-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Join gets my vote by far-just listen to their classic cover of[i second that emotion].

sup_fan
11-29-2017, 12:54 PM
To me ALL of the Sup duets [[whether temps or tops) are hit or miss. No one album has held up as high quality in my opinion. All the albums have a few wonderful tracks but the majority of the songs are weak and just poor covers. Such a disappointment that there were so few original tracks for any of these groupings. That so little care seems to have been exerted to create something wonderful. Something tailored to the voices

reese
11-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Both JOIN and TOGETHER have their share of great songs. The overabundance of covers might turn some off but many of them are faves of mine, especially SWEET INSPIRATION, THEN, and STUBBORN KIND OF FELLOW.

Re TCB and GIT, the former is definitely my favorite. The live versions of their hits, in particular, work for me. To this day, I can still recite every line of the songs and skits on GIT. The highlight for me on this one is FUNKY BROADWAY. It was such a disappointment to finally see the special and find that they edited Diana's solo portion out.

temptationsfan500
12-01-2017, 01:18 PM
I like TCB but there should have been more Temptations. I don't like GIT. The skits were shit. Best part of GIT--Rhythm of Life.

gman
12-02-2017, 02:28 AM
Join....hands down... TCB was my 2nd Supremes LP [[I had the blue LP hits set about 3 months earlier) I was 8 yrs old and I got TCB the day it was released. I was a new fan, and had the Love Child & I'm Gonna Make You Love Me 45's...and TCB made me a die hard fan. That's why I m partial to Cindy....She was there and FB was gone by the time I took notice.

I already had the Christmas LP and Reflections by the time I got JOIN in early '69...I loved the entire LP...except I liked the TCB vers. of Impossible Dream much much more.

I was a very young and new fan, so even though all the songs were covers, they were new to me [[except Dream and This Guys In Love) I loved and still do the entire LP...favs? Try It Baby, Emotion, A Place In The Sun which I flipped the 45 and played more than IGMYLM. I like Paul's voice a lot.

bradsupremes
12-02-2017, 07:29 PM
I equally like Join and Together. Both have their share of great tracks and some duds.

In regards to the TV specials, there is no contest. TCB wins. GIT was a bad idea from the start. I know it was to showcase Diana as a black Barbra Streisand, but it's a big dud. The Temptations doing a medley from Fiddler on The Roof? Mary & Cindy really got the shaft in this special too. Motown should have done a second-TCB style special but feature the songs from their two albums together. It would have been a perfect opportunity for them to do "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" and "I'll Try Something New." It could have even helped bump up the sales for "The Weight." Throw in a few Broadway tunes and you get a special than what GIT was.

gman
12-02-2017, 08:09 PM
I have to agree with the post above for a 2nd more Motown flavored special. Leading Lady & Rhythm of Life could've stayed. I like the Tempts medley because it shows their voices and versatility well. It could be skipped in the imaginary one though. 90 minutes
would have been great.. we could've gotten a medley or 2 and lots
of room for full length newer hits/duets and 2LP soundtrack. Perhaps with both groups issuing live LPS in '68 they thought '69 was too soon for this...and surely the "Farewell" LP was already planned.

Boogiedown
12-03-2017, 01:35 AM
Join....hands down... TCB was my 2nd Supremes LP [[I had the blue LP hits set about 3 months earlier) I was 8 yrs old and I got TCB the day it was released. I was a new fan, and had the Love Child & I'm Gonna Make You Love Me 45's...and TCB made me a die hard fan. That's why I m partial to Cindy....She was there and FB was gone by the time I took notice.

I already had the Christmas LP and Reflections by the time I got JOIN in early '69...I loved the entire LP...except I liked the TCB vers. of Impossible Dream much much more.

I was a very young and new fan, so even though all the songs were covers, they were new to me [[except Dream and This Guys In Love) I loved and still do the entire LP...favs? Try It Baby, Emotion, A Place In The Sun which I flipped the 45 and played more than IGMYLM. I like Paul's voice a lot.

I like this post!!:) Gives the prospective from which you are coming.