PDA

View Full Version : ****Killer Arrangements ! Somebody Talk to me !****

test

paladin
01-30-2011, 07:07 PM
While conversing with a couple of other forum members it struck me that we really don't talk much about vocal and musical arrangements, sure we talk performers, writers, producers and such,but we hardly ever talk about the way a song was arranged musically and vocally. No I'm not asking for any of you to name each individual arranger of a song, but what songs stand out in your mind as having exceptional vocal and musical arrangements ? These are some of my favorites what about you ?

Your Love Is So Doggone Good/Isaac Hayes

At The Concert/ Michael Henderson-Roberta Flack

Killer Joe/Mean Joe/from Juke Joint Q. Jones

A Thousand Shades of Blue/ Dramatics

Smiling Faces /Temptations

Coldest Days of My Life/Chilites

In my opinion there is genuis afoot here .......

**** this has been on my mind for quite some time, many thanks to Dyvanaye, GT, Marv, Jai and others who have been inspirational to me by posting/participating in some very interesting threads.*****

ms_m
01-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Kdub I think anything Q has done could be on your list but I'll add

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - Tempts
that was killer arrangement

paladin
01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
That was my omission by choice. I happen to agree with you, and certainly would have listed it, but I have many more plus every now and then I'd like to revisit a song thats not played much anymore or didn't get the chance to heard like some others. But you are absolutely right "PWARS" is a definitive killer.......lol......thanks as always for your reply.

ms_m
01-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Hmmm, more obscure songs huh?

Ok:D

Elusive Butterfly - Four Tops

REDHOT
01-30-2011, 07:48 PM
STONED LOVE,UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF,TOUCH,FLOY JOY,THE SUPREMES MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG JEAN TERRELL,BAD WEATHER,THE SUPREMES MARY WILSON JEAN TERRELL LYNDA LAURENCEHE'S MY MAN,THE SUPREMES MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG,I'M GONNA LET MY HART DO THE WALKING,THE SUPREMES,MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE SUSAYE GREENE.Yes i'm a big SUPREME fan,of the 70s.
Please stay positive

ms_m
01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Here's one for ya Kdub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BuLqoJVGag

theboyfromxtown
01-30-2011, 07:53 PM
ABSOLUTELY

Smiling Faces Sometimes - Temptations

It surpasses almost anything for me.

ms_m
01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6V31_CYyGY&feature=fvwrel

marv2
01-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Try the Four Tops version of "Light My Fire" Superb arrangement!

jillfoster
01-30-2011, 09:33 PM
ABSOLUTELY

Smiling Faces Sometimes - Temptations

It surpasses almost anything for me.

John... the temps version? I'd agree on the song, but the Undisputed Truth's version does it all for me. "Stoned Love" and "Bernadette" are right up there as well. I'm a nut for a good arrangement and production, the more big and bombastic, the BETTER. I find anything arranged and conducted by Bill Shepherd, Ivor Raymonde, or Keith Mansfield.

smark21
01-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Here's a great Killers arrangment--excellent use of rock band and orchestra and spot on vocals to sell an emotional rock ballad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsXf-XO8ol4&feature=related

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2011, 03:28 AM
John... the temps version? I'd agree on the song, but the Undisputed Truth's version does it all for me. "Stoned Love" and "Bernadette" are right up there as well. I'm a nut for a good arrangement and production, the more big and bombastic, the BETTER. I find anything arranged and conducted by Bill Shepherd, Ivor Raymonde, or Keith Mansfield.

Jillfoster -You're absolutely positively right....that UT version is a killer too and sometimes even I have to wonder whether I prefer the Temps version. However, when I first heard the Temps version, it knocked me out to the point that I would listen to nothing but that song for weeks...that has got to clinch it for me!

I'm a big fan of Ivor Raymonde too....Dusty, Joe Meek etc. I'm with you there...I need to investigate those others...!

honest man
01-31-2011, 05:38 AM
Heaven help us all STEVIE WONDER, the best so much going on with that song, been playing it a lot over the last couple of months,wonderful.cheers

glencro
01-31-2011, 09:05 AM
One of my all time favs vocally & musically is Chaka Khan's "And The Melody Still Lingers on [[Night In Tunisia)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYqQn99ppeY

MIKEW-UK
01-31-2011, 09:15 AM
I suggest "Trying to Hold On To My Woman" by Lamont Dozier is the most brilliant execution of complex symphonic and gritty arrangements. Flawless rhythm underpinnings coupled with swirling strings and full brass and woodwind. Drums, bass and guitar really punctuate the arrangements. And the personnel? Lamont on vocals, Mckinley Jackson on piano, Ray Parker Jr. Guitar, Ed Greene drums, George Bohannon trombone, Ernie Watts sax, etc etc, arranged by Gene Page, produced by genius McKinley and Lamont. Hardly surprising it's so exceptional with that talent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiCcDLfj-T4 for a high quality listen. And if you want to see Lamont perform it in person, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOCG5oFm6jc.

A close close second with the same extraordinary arrangement skills on display is Love's Calling by Zingara, featuring James Ingram on lead vocals and Lamont Dozier doing background vocals. Rhythm arrangements by Lamont and Tony Patler. Listen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3-KxVE_gc4. And if you want to see an orchestra being marshalled to play these arrangements for Love's Calling, watch this video of Patrice Rushen with musicians at USC where she teaches. You'll see how complex these arrangements really are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnx8jNAuj8

cheers Mike

Kamasu_Jr
01-31-2011, 11:04 AM
BACHARACH...

Walk on By
Alfie
Any Day Now

Allen Toussaint
Such A Night
Nightbirds

Arif Mardin
Until You Come Back To Me

Bobby Martin
Drowning in the Sea of
Love

paladin
01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
@ Glencro and Ms M. I agree.....lol

Thanks everyone for your comments , yes there are some gem's listed here.....here's some more

I'll Try/Angie Bofill

This is Your Life/Norman Connors/Eleanor Mills

Quiet Storm/Smokey

Talking Loud, Saying Nothing/James Brown [[ true killer !)

Stillwater/Four Tops

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Mrs M

Sweet Inspiration-Excellent choice and thank for reminding me.

nysister
01-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Here are just a few that come to mind:

Runaway Child Running Wild/Temptations
Get Away/EWF
Hey Girl/Temptations
Brand New/Stylistics
Money/O'Jays
Hell Below/Curtis Mayfield
War of The Gods/Billy Paul
Slipping in the Darkness/War
Love We had Stays on My Mind/Dells

whitesoxx
01-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Chic - I Want Your Love
Teena Marie - I Need Your Loving
O'Jays - For The Love Of Money
Rene & Angela - Rise
Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23
Quincy Jones - The Dude
Chaka Khan - Clouds

olamaebarto
01-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Here's a great Killers arrangment--excellent use of rock band and orchestra and spot on vocals to sell an emotional rock ballad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsXf-XO8ol4&feature=related

The lead vocalist seems like quite the DIVA!! I love mixes of rock and orchestra. Stevie Nicks has a version of "Edge of 17" with an orchestra that is wonderful.

ms_m
01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
You're welcome theboyfromxtown.

The irony, I was looking for the original until I remembered the Motown vibe in this version.:D

Ms Flo
01-31-2011, 08:28 PM
992 Arguments - extended version - Ojays
Thriller - Michael Jackson

juicefree20
01-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Paladin...

You need to have your Chi-Town card revoked.

Precious brother, how in the name of all that is soulful, can you call yourself a Chi-Town resident & not mention the following...

Jackie Wilson - 'Higher & Higher'

That record builds & builds, & builds, chugging along & then those glorious horns come in & knock you on your butt.

The Dells - 'Stay In My Corner'

Though it's a ballad, those strings are exquisite. The vocals & the harmonies are ridiculous & when Marvin hold that note & comes out of it with the vocal equivalent of a Joe Frazier left hook...man...it's DEEEEEEEP!

The Impressions - 'Fool For You'

How many ballads of sadness & loss sound THIS glorious?
From the 3 note drum opening, followed by those horn blasts, the instrumentation & the harmonies, this is one TRAGICALLY over-looked song. And how about the arrangement of the bridge, with those hoarns soaring so majestically. Man, this is one hell of an arrangement, for sure.

Donnie Elbert - 'Can't Get Over Losing You'

Another ballad, but OHHH...THOSE STRINGS! Those strings & those piano figures are simply beautiful. When the backing vocals come in underneath to support Donnie, man...it's a beautiful thing.

James Brown - 'Prisoner Of Love'

No one expected a song like this from James, but damn, he delivered it better than the Post Office. Again, that string arrangement was beautiful, as were the backing vocals & James showed people that he was more than a 'screamer'. James worked the hell out of this song & his restraint was perfection. He took what could've been an over-blown, boring song & injected it with whole lot of soul.

Now, here's one that may be a bit unexpected...

El Coco - 'Let's Get It Together'

From the opening organ riff, to the bass line & the muted trumpet & the Leslie floating from the left to right channel, this is a gorgeous arrangement. The song continues to build & build, layer by layer & then those horns playing in unison come in & give this song such richness. When played through a GOOD system, the sounds on this record is just ridiculous. This is one song that I never get sick of hearing & the sound hits me today, as it did when I first heard it back it 1976.

This is fun. Let me think of a few more & I'll get backatcha!

smark21
01-31-2011, 09:22 PM
The lead vocalist seems like quite the DIVA!! I love mixes of rock and orchestra. Stevie Nicks has a version of "Edge of 17" with an orchestra that is wonderful.

He's definitely one of the top divas out there today. I'll have to check out Edge of Seventeen with orchestra as I've always liked Stevie Nicks. Another good arrangement, IMO, is Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk"--tribal drums, chants, a muttering, paranoid lead vocal and a marching band.

luke
01-31-2011, 09:56 PM
I Want You Back.

paladin
01-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Juice, Chi-town is represented well here, plus I have many more just chill a minute my friend:

Stubborn Kind of Fella/Tempts and Supremes [[ smooth groove)

Little Child Running Wild/Curtis [[ simply brilliant)

Leave it Alone/Dynamic Superiors

Lollipop Love/Byran Loren [[ for Juice)

How Time Flies/Ojays [[ no one does it better)

Hurry up This Way Again/Stylistics

Your Body's' Callin/R Kelly [[ quintessential R)

This Must be The Place, Naive Melody/Talking Heads [[love poem to my wife)

I Can't Wait To See You/Impressions [[ Ralph Johnson lead vocals)

You Are/Gerald Levert

I Want You For Myself/George Duke [[ Sheila E nails the percussion on this one, in fact I believe her sticks caught on fire during production I haven't heard anyone before or since play with the fervor she exhibits on this cut !)

Your welcome anytime Ah Juice......

I have noticed that "strings" play an important role in a lot of these selections.......

sunshineonacloudyday
02-01-2011, 01:35 AM
Chicago favorite: Arranger Roy Glover's music paints a vivid picture for Curtis Mayfield's captivating story in GYPSY WOMAN ~ The Impressions. Subdued--not bombastic, but KILLER! nonetheless.

sunshineonacloudyday
02-01-2011, 02:03 AM
^P.S. I would have included a YouTube link to the above song but the horrible Mp3s I heard there squished the Impressions' background harmonies right out of the song, making it unrecognizable. A thread discussing killer arrangements deserves killer audio examples :[[

paladin
02-01-2011, 02:44 AM
This one ain't that bad Sunshine and I agree along with "Closer Together" , they were great arrangements. They were long identified with this particular sound, when you heard any of those early tracks you immediately knew it was them "bravo" ! on your selection.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7gMeUCtXx4&feature=related

paladin
02-01-2011, 03:05 AM
Since most of you know some of my recommendations by heart, like "Sunshineonacloudyday" says, a lot of stuff on youtube is really crappy work filled with distortion and compression beyond belief, but every once in a while you find a gem and that indeed is worth posting. Here is a fine example of an artist, songwriter, arranger and orchestra. God I love this song and miss this woman dearly. Although this recording is not the best, its dam sure good enough to convey my feelings.......enjoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cvm_AIcSeM

Rick James- Guitar, Percussion, Piano, Arranger, Conga, Drums, Timbales, Vocals, Background Vocals, Timpani, Horn Arrangements, String Arrangements, Syndrum

jillfoster
02-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Jillfoster -You're absolutely positively right....that UT version is a killer too and sometimes even I have to wonder whether I prefer the Temps version. However, when I first heard the Temps version, it knocked me out to the point that I would listen to nothing but that song for weeks...that has got to clinch it for me!

I'm a big fan of Ivor Raymonde too....Dusty, Joe Meek etc. I'm with you there...I need to investigate those others...!

This is one of the Keith Mansfield tracks I was referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePkqy0gLaw

And let's not forget this much more obscure Ivor Raymonde tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0U88O0oMRg

arrr&bee
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
The sea and she-new rotary connection...i love you secrectly-the miracles...isn't she pretty-the temps...the sweeter he is-the soul children[the high notes at the beginning are sung by the guys].

Amithesameboy
02-01-2011, 03:32 PM
There'll come a time - Betty Everett

juicefree20
02-01-2011, 04:17 PM
This will likely be considered to be a way-out choic, but I rather like the arrangement of 'We're Goin' Wrong' by Minnie Riperton & The Rotary Connection.

When I hear that song, I damn near expect a group of Gregorian monks to leap out. But there's simply something about that arrangement & muted strings, I believe, mixed with Minnie's voice soaring WAYYYYY up there that blows my mind.

arrr&bee
02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
The sparrow-marvin gaye,this jazz-soul gem makes you feel the little birds of the title.

paladin
02-01-2011, 05:16 PM
This is on my turntable as I write this, the entire album, simply amazing..........

juicefree20
02-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I would be extremely remiss if didn't add this lovely tune. This beautiful mid-'70s gem has its roots firmly grounded in the late '50s R&B style, which was later categorized as Doo Wop. This style was also worked to perfection by Marvin Gaye & The Originals on their classic collabos, 'Baby, I'm For Real' & 'The Bells', which also receive a spot in this thread.

For your listening pleasure, I present J.R. Bailey - All Strung Out Over You...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LegdbU7xk

Lack of chart action notwithstanding, the charts lie. This record is a classic & that's the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth!

paladin
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Dam nice selection Juice, never heard it before, in fact the only song that I think I remember from this dude is Love, Love, Love...???? If memory serves. Methinks Donny also made that tune as well....lol.......plus the pic looks like Otis Williams....

juicefree20
02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I'll also add the following...

The first three are so damn smooth, they're the aural equivalent of sleeping on satin sheets. Totally erotic in a mellow, 70's Boone's Farm wine kinda way, for those of you who remember such vestiges of the past...

Minnie Riperton - Inside My Love
Ashford & Simpson - So So Satisfied
Quincy Jones fea. Paulette McWilliams - Mellow Madness

Bloodstone - Natural High
Michael Henderson - Let Me Love You
The Fuzz - I Love You For All Seasons
The Unifics - The Beginning Of My End
Sam Cooke - A Change Gonna Come
Jerry Butler & Brenda Lee Eager - Ain't Understanding Mellow [[Until they get to that damn speeded up Jazz fade!)
The Lost Generation - The Sly, Slick & Wicked - Seeing as how it sounds as though it's joined at the hip to Jerry's song, I have to pick this one as well.
Johnny Daye - Stay Baby Stay - those damn strings

for some fast ones...

James Brown - There Was A Time - There's no way not to groove when this cut comes on
James Brown - Sex Machine Live - "Clap your hands...stomp your feet...In the jungle bruh..." I choose this for the break alone. Totally outrageous!
Mel & Tim - Backfield In Motion
Otis & Carla - Tramp
The Temptations - I'm Losing You - Seems as though they both loved that guitar figure, now didn't they :)
Tyrone Davis - Can I Change My Mind

juicefree20
02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Here's one that may not be known to many. This is some blues here, for sure, featuring Duane Allman on guitar...

Boz Scaggs - Loan Me A Dime [[from his 1969 LP, Boz Scaggs)

Fortunately, youtube has it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTFvAvsHC_Y&feature=related

juicefree20
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Kdub:

Thank you. I have to say that I like J.R.'s version of 'Love, Love, Love' much more than I do Donny's. J.R.'s version is as smooth as the other side of the pillow!

After listening to my file of Boz, I immediately thought to add...

James Brown - It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World

I want to up the ante a bit & think of some songs that I truly believe that most here would overlook.

To the Juicepole!!!

tsull1
02-01-2011, 08:41 PM
One of my favorites is "When the World's at Peace" by The O'Jays off the amazing "Backstabbers" album. So much music coming out of that tune and it gets going right away, no build up, it blasts out of the gate. Not sure who arranged it, G & H or Thom Bell, who did some arranging on the album.

juicefree20
02-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Before I fully retreat to the lab, a few other songs crossed my mind [[what's left of it anyway) & I want to post them before I forget to...

Les McCann & Eddie Harris - 'Compared To What'

When I was a kid riding to Rockland State Park, while listening to the 8 track, War seemed to find a prominent place on those long drives. They had different grooves & definitely operated outside the box. Rather than focus on their hits, here are a few songs that have always stuck with me...

'City, Country, City'
& one of my favorites, 'H2Overture'

And having chosen those, there's just no way that I can overlook the following classics. Though they were a hits, they came out I was cutting my teeth as a DJ. When these songs came out, they grabbed our attention immediately, because there were no other records that sounded quite like them. When they came through the system, they were the sonic equivalent of an Ernie Shavers punch. For those reasons, I have to add...

War - Galaxy
Parliament - Flashlight

If you don't know why, then you just weren't there!

BTW...I'm TOTALLY co-signing 'I Want You For Myself'! One beautiful arrangement, damn near perfection & Lynn delivered some hellacious vocals. One of my favorites not just of 1979, but for all times!

I will now retreat to the lab...BWAHHHH-HAHHAA-HAAA-HAAAAA!

paladin
02-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Compared to What was an anthem of sorts which singularly united the old jazz vanguard with the new young hipsters, the old lions were getting long in tooth and the new ones were teething on this music.

No problem we do have similar tastes in music. Galaxy was fantastic and I already gave James props with "Talking Loud".

War/ Smile Happy....exquiste

You/Maze.......funky, funky groove

I also mention records that have completely passed some folks by because as you indicated hits ain't everything. But one of the most fantastic arrangements I ever heard was : "Juffure" by Grover Washington Jr, from his Live at The Bijou LP.

This record was simply haunting, named after the African Village and birthplace of Kunte Kinte, this song always takes me back to a time when I began to think about things in terms that I never had to before. The drums and african wood instruments are transforming while Grovers sax moaned, groaned , burped and cried. One of the best pieces that Grover ever played.

On "I Want You For Myself", dam right she [[Lynn) was like a mellowed out Minnie Riperton , Duke was burning the keys and well I've been in love with Sheila E ever since........

Dog the snow is coming your way, Midway, Ohare are shut down. Lake Shore Drive has disappeared and one side is completely closed. I'm going into the man cave and have a shot of Remy......cheers.....

GeeTee(HPK)
02-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Alright, since I have some time on my hands, [[since I'm snowed in :) ) here's a few selections that I can think of off the top of my head :

Dramatics - "Dramatics Theme"/ "Treat Me Like A Man"
Johnny Mathis - "Life Is A Song Worth Singing"
Jackie Wilson - "Those Heartbreaks"
Donny Hathaway - "I Love You More Than You Ever Know"
Curtis Mayfield - "The Makings of You" and "Giving Up" [[from Curtis debut solo album)
Isaac Hayes - "The Look of Love"
Barry White" - "Playing Your Game"
Donna Summer - "Lush Life"
Smokey & the Miracles - "Oh,Be My Love" or "Give Her Up" [[it's a tie)
Jermaine Jackson - "Castles of Sand"
George Benson - "Turn Out the Lamplight"

paladin
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
First Juice now you, man talk about Killer Arrangements, this snow got Chicago all rearranged.....but back to my point "Lush Life" is a stone cold winner for me bub, It aint like nothing she ever made and DS got major chops with this one, I'm diggin it out the crates as soon as I'm off here....thanks brother....great selection........

PS: You had to take "Treat me Like a Man" too ? ROTFLM snowed in azz off.........

GeeTee(HPK)
02-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Hey man, I thought that would have made it on your list. :) [[and you're welcome, great thread !):cool:

chidrummer
02-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Paladin that question is just too big to answer. So I'll just list great arrangements of sound, vocals and groove that I've heard today:

Stranger In Moscow - M. Jackson
Peel Me a Grape - D. Krall
Yearning [[live version) - Basia
It Was Probably Me - Sting
Fairy Tales - A. Baker
Keep The Faith - M. Jackson
Home - Engineers
Brazos River Breakdown - The Crusaders
A Little Bumpin' - L. Rittenour
Grooveline - Heatwave
That Girl - S. Wonder
Soul Power - J. Brown
Inner City Blues - M. Gaye
Paradise - Sade
They Dance Alone - Sting
Up The Ladder To The Roof - The Supremes
Romantic Warrior - RTF
You Put a Move on My Heart - Q. Jones
Many Stops Along The Way - J. Sample

and of course, because of last night's festivities -
Baby It's Cold Outside - B. Caldwell/V. Williams

paladin
02-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Fairy Tales - A. Baker
That Girl - S. Wonder
You Put a Move on My Heart - Q. Jones

Chris, you snowed in too ? Great selections, I really admire those three on your list. ....including the Marvin of course but I like The Chi-lites arrangement too..........Thanks for your contribution.

topdiva1
02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
The First Choice - LOVE AND HAPPINESS

nomis
02-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Chic Warm Summer Nights
Diana Ross Now that Your Gone
Desree Kissing You
Wings Band On the Run
Fleetwood Mac The Chain
Marvin gaye I Want You
Tori Amos I Cant See Newyork

paladin
02-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks Nomis, nice tunes........

As /Stevie

Little Boy Blue/Rufus

Fading Away/Bobby Taylor and Vancouvers

Ellie's Theme/Isaac Hayes

You and I/ Switch

Change [[makes you want to Hustle) Donald Byrd

nomis
02-03-2011, 12:02 AM
oh and how could I forget -
Madonna Paradise [[not for Me)..killer orchestra with brilliant rising strings volume half way through the track

the_classic_master
02-03-2011, 01:10 AM
u know i gotta chime in on this!
i'm gonna make you love me temis/supremes [[one of the best intros ever)
fools paradise rufus/chaka khan
cherish the day - sade
simply beautiful - al green [[exactly what the tittle saids)
all the way lover - millie jackson [[what a down home groove)
in the mood - tyrone davis
i forgot to be your lover - william bell [[those strings are murder)
that's where it's at - sam cooke[[now that's a real soul record)
hot pants jb [[best horns ever when they go to the bridge)
if i was your girlfriend - prince [[the genius at his best! i almost had at the recent prince concert when he performed this and he just let the bass and drum rock on this cut)
i loved and i lost - the impressions [[talk about some brass for your ass)
the girl in his mind - jerry butler
you really got a hold on me - the miracles [[thanks sam for inspiring smkey to write this awesome song)
to be a lover - gene chandler

mikey
02-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Monster hit from the Honeycone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2cQ47VVzU0

topdiva1
02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Did anyone mention Ross's - AIn't No Mountain High Enough. Not only is the orchestration great - but the background vocals as well = with someone hitting them high notes ala Flo Ballard - or did someone sneak Ballard into the studio just because they could - hehehehehehe

arrr&bee
02-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Funny-walter jackson!

paladin
02-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Heres another, one that I am always hesitant to post, but it is what it is, and one of my favorites Rest In Peace "Bear".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In8eHXq1mP8

paladin
02-07-2011, 12:38 PM
A friend of mine who also happens to be a DJ, a forum member and an expert on Jimi Hendrix, called me yesterday and put me on blast because of my omission of one of my all time favorite records. He said he had thought about posting about the record but since he had beat me to the punch on a couple of selections, most notably from the Dramatics and The Temptations, in his opinion "I'" needed a wake up call and he would hold off on this record because in his words, when I posted about killer arrangements this record immediately came to his mind.

He was right, although I was trying to give this thread some room by not overloading everyone with my own selections, this friend has me nailed. I would like to offer my humble apology to Ms. Betty Lavette, whose song "Close as I"ll get To Heaven" is simply one of the most beautiful and heart rending songs I have ever heard.

There are several videos of her live performances on YouTube, but be that as it where, you would have to be there in person to fully appreciate the arrangement, her performance is legendary, and while attending one of her shows, I was so wrapped up in her delivery that it dam near brought me to tears. But ......her band and the arrangement is simply superb, one of the finest on record.

Taken from this album:

The track is not as long as her live performance but, its still killer. Don't believe me ? .....hmmmm then buy the record.......

Kdubya

destruction
02-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Thx for reminding me I meant to post in the Bettye thread.....and you are so right about 'being there'.

I'd like to start my list with one from my girls after I explained what an "arrangement" was:

"Clean Up Woman"

and one of the most perfect songs that I've ever heard:

"If I Was Your Woman" - Gladys Knight and The Pips.

destruction
02-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Make that 2 most perfect songs....This one has been on my mind for days:

"Ain't No Way" - Long Live The Queen.

1wicked
02-09-2011, 05:17 AM
May I just add:
"All I Do" [[Radio Edit)) Kirk Whalum f/Wendy Moten. Rarely are covers as good as the original...but the arrangement and vocals just SMOKE on this.

"Catfish" The Four Tops A departure from what they were known for....most were surprised that this song was from The Tops ! The rhythm arrangement is killer...the horns unreal...and Levi...well just Levi [[just a one of a kind vocalist).

"Carmel" [[entire LP) Joe Sample

"Images" [[entire LP) The Crusaders

"Snowblower" & "Where You're Comin' From" B. Baker Chocolate Company... An All-Star collaboration fronted by arranger Brad Baker [[who seemingly has disappeared from the face of the earth.)

"Everything Must Change" Darryl Williams From Darryl's debut CD. All I can say is go to Amazon,CD Baby, etc. and take a listen. He's am amazing bassist who doesn't put his ego/talent before the band.

"Heaven Sent" Stanley Clarke f/ Howard Hewett Just a well arranged and produced piece.

1wicked
02-09-2011, 05:32 AM
And Kdub....as much as we love love classic Tempts tunes, "PLASTIC MAN" was one [[of many) that had it ALL...the killer arrangement AND vocals. The instrumental side got as much play as the vocal side BECAUSE the arrangement was so kick-ass !

paladin
02-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Oh hell yes, my two brothers from another Mother, its very easy to agree with both of you on your excellent choices.

Plastic Man was one of those Tempt cuts replete with hand claps and vocal highlights they were so famous for, and they were having fun.

Des big ups to Ree-Ree......

Heres some that are rarely mentioned :

Love Birds by The Dramatics......superb........from their album Anytime, Any Place.

Spell by Blue Magic [[ haunting )

I'm In Love With You: by forgotten Motown group " Ko-Ko Pop", the background vocals and musical arrangements are simply as smooth as the other side of a pillow.

Thought It Would be Easier/Shelby Lynn.....sublime..........

Smooth /Lina ......when this Lady sings the lyric.. "What I wouldn't do, to make these things go smooth", gets me every time ! Like The Shelby Lynn cut, these two songs seem to always make my permanent rotation....and their bands were simply kick azz......

arrr&bee
02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey paladin,i got a couple for ya,the temps classic-girl[why you wanna make me blue]how many of us have listened to this killer and on the bridge where they sing..why you wanna make me blue,we thought they were singing in unison...noooo they are singing in harmony..take a close listen...i ain't got the love-the ambassadors,another killer arrangement!

GeeTee(HPK)
02-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Ok, since this thread is still going, I want to add a few more to the list.

This one really does it for me, and it's better than the original version. [[by the way, Herbie is playing Fender Rhodes on this track)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64mZJvoeXuQ

And speaking of Herbie, this one is one of my favorites also. [[The Headhunters are in full effect on this track !)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3E9Aa4VSnQ

paladin
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I've always loved Herbie's Maiden Voyage and although I mentioned an earlier track by Norman Connors/Eleanor Mills, Norman did some fantastic production on Pharaoh Sanders gem :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-I1dsXWrMU

dvdmike
02-11-2011, 07:14 PM
BACHARACH...

Walk on By
Alfie
Any Day Now

Allen Toussaint
Such A Night
Nightbirds

Arif Mardin
Until You Come Back To Me

Bobby Martin
Drowning in the Sea of
Love

Drowning In The Sea Of Love was arranged by Thom Bell

dvdmike
02-11-2011, 07:16 PM
The First Choice - LOVE AND HAPPINESS

Love And Happiness was arranged by First Choice's road band, Prime Cut. I don't know who the individual members were except for guitarist Herb Smith.

destruction
02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Hey Dub,

I went through this thread again....and saw your remark about not wanting to pile on...

That being said.....I'm taking my song "As" off your pile and putting it on mine.

I started to the same thing with "Fading Away".....but since our love is mutual, I'm gonna pass.

But to make up for it....You can have one of these.....just one:

"At Last" Temprees - I didn't really latch onto to this until I played it years ago for a hardcore Etta fan....and she dug it immediately.

"Living for The City" - Stevie

"Southern Part of Texas" - War

"My Pretending Days Are Over" for me "There Is" for my crew - The Mighty Mighty Dells

"Manic Depression" "Castles Made of Sand" "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" and all those other songs by That Guy

And Gee....I'm taking "Fool for You" too......so you pick one.....and Juice.....Gimme back my Fuzz.
and thx for reminding me of a couple of Otis joints:

"She Put The Hurt on Me" "Hard to Handle" "Dock of the Bay"

"You Better Go" - Derek Martin [[too late)

"Walk on By" - Ike - by the way......It's already in my will that this will be blasting when they wheel my body out of da Parlor.

paladin
02-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Hey Dub,

I went through this thread again....and saw your remark about not wanting to pile on...

That being said.....I'm taking my song "As" off your pile and putting it on mine.

I started to the same thing with "Fading Away".....but since our love is mutual, I'm gonna pass.

But to make up for it....You can have one of these.....just one:

OK, I'll take My Pretending Days are over and raise you "I Miss You Baby" by the Mighty Dells...............

Strangely enough your selection of Walk On By by Issac Hayes was the first song I started to mention but choose "Doggone Good" instead. Hot Buttered Soul was a landmark album that will never be duplicated. [[Remixed by Russ Terrana)

Your deal.......

Kdubya

GeeTee(HPK)
03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Man, I had to really search to find this thread ! [[lol)

At any rate, I discovered this record a few months ago,and I played it on my show last night. [[I never knew she recorded this !)

Now I love the original version,BUT this version here, she put her own stamp on it ! [[at least I think so) :)
Great arrangements,and the band is TIGHT !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDthC79sdWk

paladin
03-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks bro me ! its certainly a different arrangement...........give the drummer some.........its like Stax meets Motown.....

GeeTee(HPK)
03-11-2011, 12:32 PM
The drummer,the bass player,the guitarist,and the horns are killin' it !
You're right, it is like Stax meets Motown ! :cool: [[See, I told you !) :D

mr soul
03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Be For Real - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes...especially the change from opening rap to song.

I Feel Like I've Been Livin' [On The Dark Side Of The Moon] - Trammps...what a great start

Just Shopping [Not Buying Anything] - Dramatics...ooh baby another gem of an intro had me hooked before the song stated.

Somebody Loves You - Bunny Sigler...just plain wonderful...that is, if there is anything plain about wonderful.

Love Takes Tears - Johnny Bristol...should have been a 70's megastar.

Take Off Your Make Up - Lamont Dozier...another that had me hooked immediately...listening to it now, still sounds great...gonna have to fast forward to the middle section [near the end] though...ah bliss.

I Had It All the Time - Tyrone Davis...there must be something that I'm missing...very nearly great arrangement, great rap, great song, great beat, great players, great singer, making great music's a sinch.

Will She Meet the Train in the Rain? - Greg Perry...after all this time, I don't whether or not she did meet the train...nah she was probably washing her hair.

Good Guys - Sam Dees...31years & counting, still to see the light of day on CD...I could picked anything off this album it's that good...damn my vinyl to CD transfer's skipping...oh well back to the drawing board.

Nothing Can Change This Love - Otis Redding...from Sing Soul Ballads, to my mind his best album & despite being written by Sam Cooke...Otis makes it his own...ok I'll get my coat.

paladin
03-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Be For Real - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes...especially the change from opening rap to song.

Just Shopping [Not Buying Anything] - Dramatics...ooh baby another gem of an intro had me hooked before the song stated.

Nice list Mr Soul. Love these two in particular.

Also reminded me of Tyrone's "In The Mood" and The BlueNotes "Pretty Flower"

arrr&bee
03-15-2011, 05:42 PM
The magnificent[thrill-friends]ray,goodman,brown..a killer!

mr soul
03-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks Paladin, another gem by Harold Melvin is "Yesterday I Had The Blues" & pretty much anything by old TD sounds good to me...hey I'm a poet & didn't even know it.