PDA

View Full Version : Gladys Knight and The Pips......THE HITMAKERS!!!!

test

marv2
01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Gladys Knight and The Pips were one of those extremely rare groups that just seemed to never make a bad record....period! True, some of their recordings were more popular than others, but I can't personally say they ever made a bad record. Gladys being one of the premier female vocalist to record for Motown and the Pips who rivaled and in the opinion of some, had better moves than the Temptations! As a unit, they were unbeatable. A true class act. Here, remembering some of their timeless work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wpQPKg8yh0

marv2
01-30-2011, 06:46 PM
They were Motown's Finest..........

tomato tom
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Allways love their work. THAT voice of GLADYS and THEIR flawless harmonies. FAAAB!

paladin
01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Another great group and one that I'll be listing in my Killer Arrangement thread. Norman Whitfield played a very instrumental role in their career, he gave them the ability to be heard through their interpretations of some very popular Temptation tunes.
Ok Marv, I don't think they had better moves than the Tempts but they were just as good at their execution. [[Plus there were only three so the eye could follow them better .......ROTFLMAO !

marv2
01-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Another great group and one that I'll be listing in my Killer Arrangement thread. Norman Whitfield played a very instrumental role in their career, he gave them the ability to be heard through their interpretations of some very popular Temptation tunes.
Ok Marv, I don't think they had better moves than the Tempts but they were just as good at their execution. [[Plus there were only three so the eye could follow them better .......ROTFLMAO !

Oh we use to have these big-assed arguments over who had the best steps, the Pips or the Tempts. I remember one summer, summer of 1983 seeing them both back to back at the old Turn of the Century theater and concluded that Cholly Atkins best students were in fact......."The Pips"! LOL!

marv2
01-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Here are a few of their albums you might remember. I do! I have them ALL! LOL!

marv2
01-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Still a perennial favorite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8n4oWClu8&feature=related

marv2
01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Kev, you better go look again! I'm telling you man, the Pips were some steppin brothers! LOL!!!!

smark21
01-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Don't forget their last big hit, Love Overboard from 1987.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZEibXOtko

midnightman
01-31-2011, 12:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74uktZ63qo4

marv2
01-31-2011, 01:29 AM
Oh now that is a CLASSIC if there ever was one! Thanks Midnightman!

marv2
01-31-2011, 01:35 AM
Gladys Knight & The Pips were an R&B/soul family musical act from Atlanta, Georgia, active from 1953 to 1989. The group was best known for their string of hit singles on Motown's "Soul" record label and Buddah Records from 1967 to 1975, including "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" [[1967) and "Midnight Train to Georgia" [[1973). The longest-lived incarnation of the act featured Gladys Knight on lead vocals, with The Pips, who included her brother Merald "Bubba" Knight and their cousins Edward Patten and William Guest, as backup singers.

Forming the PipsGladys Knight was born May 28, 1944 in Atlanta, Georgia. At the age of seven in 1952, she won Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour television show contest. The following year, she, her brother Bubba, sister Brenda, and their cousins William and Eleanor Guest started a singing group called "The Pips" [[named after another cousin, James "Pip" Woods). The Pips began to perform and tour, eventually replacing Brenda Knight and Eleanor Guest with cousins Langston George and Edward Patten in 1959.

The Pips scored their first hit in 1961 with "Every Beat of My Heart", a cover of a Hank Ballard & The Midnighters song written by Johnny Otis. The group had recorded the song for a friend in Atlanta, who promptly sold the master to Vee-Jay Records and cut the group out of the record's profits. The Pips recorded a second version of "Every Beat" with Bobby Robinson as the producer, and the song became a #1 R&B and #6 pop hit. Shortly afterwards, Langston George left the group, and the remaining members continued as a quartet, now billed as Gladys Knight & the Pips. Typically, most of the act's recordings featured Knight's contralto on lead vocals and the three male members of the group, usually referred to as "The Pips" by themselves, providing characteristic background vocals.

After a second Vee-Jay hit, "Letter Full of Tears", in 1962, Knight quit the group to start a family with husband James Newman, giving birth to James Gaston Newman III in August of that year. Her second child Kenya Maria Newman was born in November the following year. The Pips toured on their own for two years, until Knight returned to the act in 1964 in order to support her two children.

The group developed a reputation for exciting and polished live performances that enabled them to work even without the benefit of best-selling records. Choreographer Cholly Atkins designed "fast-stepping" dance routines that became a signature of the Pips' stage presentation.

Gladys Knight & the Pips' Motown long-playing debut, Everybody Needs Love [[1967), which includes their hit single "I Heard It Through the Grapevine".[edit] Gladys Knight & The Pips join Motown RecordsIn spite of another hit with 1964's "Giving Up" [[later covered by Donny Hathaway), Knight and the Pips did not achieve widespread success until 1966, after signing to Motown Records. While at Motown in 1968, Gladys Knight was the first person to suggest that Berry Gordy sign an up-and-coming act from Gary, Indiana called The Jackson Five [[later known as The Jacksons).

The group's third Motown single was the Top 40 hit "Everybody Needs Love", released in 1967. Another 1967 single, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine", provided a career-making breakthrough. "Grapevine" became a #2 pop hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and a #1 R&B hit for six weeks. The record sold 2.5 million copies, and at the time was Motown's best-selling single ever.[1] Producer Norman Whitfield recorded four versions of the song with various artists for potential single release; Knight and the Pips' version was the only one that Motown chief Berry Gordy did not veto. In late 1968, "Grapevine" would become an even bigger hit for Marvin Gaye, whose version, recorded before Knight's but released a year afterwards at Whitfield's insistence, became a #1 pop hit for seven weeks.

Further hits for the group included "The Nitty Gritty" [[1969), "Friendship Train" [[1969), one of Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong's "psychedelic soul" songs, the #1 R&B "If I Were Your Woman" [[1970, later covered by Stephanie Mills, Shanice and Alicia Keys), and "I Don't Want To Do Wrong" [[1971). Their biggest Motown hit was 1972's #1 R&B/#2 pop hit "Neither One of Us [[Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)", which won the 1973 Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Performance By A Duo, Group Or Chorus.

"Neither One of Us" also happened to be one of their last Motown hits, as Knight and the Pips departed Motown for Buddah Records in 1973. While at Motown, Knight & the Pips recorded for Soul Records, a label Motown used for acts that recorded material with more of an R&B flavor than a pop flavor. On the A&E Network television program Biography, Knight stated that she and the Pips were regarded as a second-string act, and that "Diana [Ross] & the Supremes, The Temptations, and Marvin Gaye were given all the hits, while we took the leftovers." In Knight's autobiography Between Each Line of Pain and Glory: My Life Story, she stated that Diana Ross had the group removed from being The Supremes' opening act on a 1968 tour for, according to Knight, being too good.

Many of Gladys Knight and the Pips' hits in the mid-1970s were written by country songwriter Jim Weatherly. Knight and the Pips charted with five of Weatherly's songs in 1973 and 1974: "Midnight Train to Georgia," "Neither One of Us," "Where Peaceful Waters Flow," "The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me," and "Between Her Goodbye and My Hello."

[edit] Taking the "Midnight Train" to Buddah RecordsRecording for Buddah in the mid 1970s, the group hit its popular and critical peak with #1 R&B hits such as "I've Got to Use My Imagination", and "Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me". The most notable hit of their career was the #1 pop hit, "Midnight Train to Georgia", which won the Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals of 1973. The song eventually received the Grammy Hall Of Fame Award, which was established by the Recording Academy's National Trustees to honor recordings of lasting qualitative or historical significance.

Gladys Knight & the Pips' debut LP on Buddah, Imagination, was certified as a gold record. This began a string of LPs that were awarded gold status: Claudine [[1974), I Feel a Song [[1974) and 2nd Anniversary [[1975). Other hits for Buddah included "Part-Time Love", the R&B #1 "I Feel a Song [[In My Heart)", "Love Finds Its Own Way" and, culled from a live recording, "The Way We Were/Try to Remember".

Curtis Mayfield served as producer in 1974 when Knight and the Pips recorded the soundtrack to the motion picture Claudine, resulting in a #5 hit in the film's theme song, "On and On". The following year, the group got their own hour-long musical variety television program, The Gladys Knight & the Pips Show, which ran for four episodes on NBC as a summer-season replacement. During one installment, comedian George Carlin, seated at a piano, performed the doo-wop song "Cherry Pie", accompanied by the Pips.

[edit] Later yearsKnight and the Pips continued to have R&B hits until the late 1980s, adding a fourth but short-lived pip, Chris Morante, in 1988. From 1978 to 1980, Knight and the Pips were forced to record separately due to legal problems with Buddah. Knight released two solo albums and the Pips released two albums of their own. In 1977, the Pips [[minus Gladys) appeared on comedian Richard Pryor's TV special that aired on NBC. They sang their normal backup verses for the songs "Heard it Through the Grapevine" and "Midnight Train to Georgia;" during the parts where Gladys would sing, the camera panned on a lone-standing microphone.

In 1980, the Pips signed to Columbia Records, for which Knight had recorded her second solo album. Teaming up with songwriting husband/wife duo Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson, Knight & The Pips released the album About Love in 1980, which featured "Landlord" and "Taste Of Bitter Love". Ashford & Simpson continued with Knight and the Pips for the 1981 follow-up, Touch, featuring "I Will Fight" and a cover of "I Will Survive".

Also in 1981, the group provided prominent backing vocals for Kenny Rogers on his remake of Bobby "Blue" Bland's "Share Your Love with Me". The Pips had appeared on Rogers' television show with the First Edition several times in the early 1970s.

After an international tour, Knight and the Pips recorded the LP Visions [[1983), which resulted in a #1 R&B hit with "Save the Overtime [[For Me)" and was certified gold. In 1987, Knight and the Pips released their final album, All Our Love, on MCA Records which was also certified gold. The album's single "Love Overboard" became a #1 R&B hit which won the 1988 Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals. In 1988 the band also won a Soul Train Music Award for Career Achievement.

Gladys Knight & the Pips embarked on their final tour in 1988 and disbanded upon its conclusion, as Gladys Knight decided she wanted to pursue a solo career. The Pips retired, while Gladys Knight began scoring hits of her own with singles such as "Men" [[1991) and "I Don't Want to Know" [[1994).

The group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996, the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2001 and received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Rhythm & Blues Foundation in 1998. Ms. Knight, now a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, continues to tour and record occasionally, and leads the Saints Unified Voices choir. Edward Patten of the Pips died in February 2005, of complications from his long bout with diabetes.

Gladys Knight & the Pips are ranked as the ninth most successful act in The Billboard Top 40 Book of R&B and Hip-Hop Hits [[2005). They were also ranked #91 on VH1's Top 100 Artists of Rock n' Roll. In June 2006, Gladys Knight & the Pips were inducted into the Apollo Theater's Hall Of Fame in New York City.

marv2
01-31-2011, 01:40 AM
From their "Doo-Wop" days.......1961's "Every Beat of My Heart"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a1QFguK8F8

rovereab
01-31-2011, 04:23 AM
Help Me Make It Through The Night was a big hit in the UK. Was it a hit anywhere else?

Eamonn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBpAxbohI0s

roger
01-31-2011, 06:33 AM
Help Me Make It Through The Night was a big hit in the UK. Was it a hit anywhere else?

Eamonn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBpAxbohI0s

"Help Me Make It Through The Night" made #13 R&B on the Billboard Chart and #33 Pop, according to Joel Whitburn's "Top R&B Singles 1942-1995".

This is the first 45 I bought by the group .. "Didn't You Know You'd Have to Cry Sometime" .. played it to death!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwivWKsL65c

Roger

honest man
01-31-2011, 07:38 AM
NEITHER ONE OF US, YOUR OLD STANDBY TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS, Say no more one of the best groups ever,cheers.

Kamasu_Jr
01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
This is like preaching to the choir. What Motown fan or student doesn't like Gladys Knight and the Pips?

luke
01-31-2011, 11:13 AM
I will say it again-Neither One Of Us is perhaps the best sung record ever issued at Motown!

marv2
01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
I will say it again-Neither One Of Us is perhaps the best sung record ever issued at Motown!

It most definitely was one of the better written songs and perfect for the group's departure from Motown!

marv2
01-31-2011, 12:41 PM
"Help Me Make It Through The Night" made #13 R&B on the Billboard Chart and #33 Pop, according to Joel Whitburn's "Top R&B Singles 1942-1995".

This is the first 45 I bought by the group .. "Didn't You Know You'd Have to Cry Sometime" .. played it to death!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwivWKsL65c

Roger

That is still one of my all time favorites from Gladys and the Pips.

Th

tomato tom
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
I love Gladys solo on We dont make each other laugh anymore from her Buddah days. I love the duet with Patti Labelle I dont do duets. I love Gladys and The Pips If You ever get your hands on love...Paulo xxx

topdiva1
01-31-2011, 05:41 PM
I love Gladys solo on We dont make each other laugh anymore from her Buddah days. I love the duet with Patti Labelle I dont do duets. I love Gladys and The Pips If You ever get your hands on love...Paulo xxx

I don't do Duets - Classic!

marv2
01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
They had been churning out hits for nearly 20 years by the time of this great 1980 release and a favorite of mine "Bourgie, Bourgie"! Produced by Ashford & Simpson.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g3aa_gladys-knight-bourgie-bourgie_music

satipe
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
As someone posted earlier, everything Gladys, Bubba, William and Edward released was as low as great to as high as the best. I have never met William or the late Edward but Gladys and Bubba are genuinely nice, nice people.

marv2
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
As someone posted earlier, everything Gladys, Bubba, William and Edward released was as low as great to as high as the best. I have never met William or the late Edward but Gladys and Bubba are genuinely nice, nice people.

Oh I like what and how you said that Satipe. I've met them and they were tremendously nice people.....all of them!

soulster
01-31-2011, 09:32 PM
They were just OK at Motown, but they found their voice at Buddah, and later at Columbia. Their time at Buddah Records was their most fruitful time, and where they had the biggest run of hit singles.

smark21
01-31-2011, 09:51 PM
I also like this 80's Quiet Storm Classic by Gladys Knight and the Pips. Great song to play at 3AM when it's raining softly outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSATbzyvYjQ

marv2
01-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Well then continuing on with the "Quiet Storm", here is an extremely popular cut from their "Visions" lp, "You're Number One in My Book" from 1983!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwkwoMOk9k

captainjames
01-31-2011, 10:20 PM
This may sound hard and cruel to some but in my opinion Gladys Knight could have been bigger without the Pips. I was fortunate to meet all the Pips once and they are without a doubt "geniune" people. "Neither One Of Us" and "Midnight Train To Georgia" is all Gladys to me and on two different labels. It was family but this was business.............go figure.

marv2
01-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Check out our Empress of Soul here in late 2009 giving it to 'em on the Jools Holland Show from the U.K.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHulRYtCdY8

midnightman
02-01-2011, 05:03 AM
Welcome. :)

roger
02-01-2011, 07:44 AM
They were just OK at Motown, but they found their voice at Buddah, and later at Columbia. Their time at Buddah Records was their most fruitful time, and where they had the biggest run of hit singles.

Well .. is that really true? Personally I generally prefer their Motown material to the Buddah period, where some of their material veered a bit too much to M.O.R. for my taste .. possibly thats why they managed to crack the U.S. "Pop" market and score regular U.K singles hits when they were at Buddah. :)

In terms of U.S. R&B singles entries there is very little difference between the Motown and Buddah periods, looking at the Billboard listings we have ..

Buddah .. 17 entries .. [[ 1973 - 1978 )
4 made #1 and 7 further entries made the R&B Top 10.
Soul[[Motown) .. 17 entries .. [[1967 - 1974 )
3 made #1 and 9 further entries made the R&B Top 10.

A look at their R&B LP chart positions shows Buddah does have the edge but not by as much as we might be lead to believe.

Buddah : 1973 - 1978 : 9 entries : 3 made #1 and a further 2 made the Top 10.

"Imagination" #1 [[ #9 Pop )
"Claudine" #1 [[ #35 Pop )
"I Feel A Song" #1 [[ #17 Pop )
"Second Anniversary" #4 [[ #24 Pop )
"Best Of" #8 [[ #36 Pop )
"Pipe Dreams" #16 [[ #94 Pop )
"Still Together" #18 [[ #51 Pop )
"One and Only" #30 [[ #145 Pop )
"Miss Gladys Knight" #57 [[ no Pop chart entry )

Soul[[Motown) - 1967 - 1975 : 12 entries : 1 made #1 and a further 3 made the Top 10
"Everybody Needs Love" #12 [[ #60 Pop )
"Feeling Bluesy" #12 [[ #158 Pop )
"Silk N Soul" #11 [[ #136 Pop )
"Nitty Gritty" #11 [[ #81 Pop )
"Greatest Hits" #5 [[ #55 Pop )
"If I Were Your Woman" #4 [[ #35 Pop )
"Standing Ovation" #11 [[ #60 Pop )
"Neither One Of Us" #1 [[ #9 Pop )
"All I Need Is Time" #14 [[ #70 Pop )
And after their first Buddah L.P ..
"Knight Time" #29 [[ #139 Pop )
"Anthology" #10 [[ #77 Pop )
"A Little Night Music" #32 [[ #164 Pop )

I think this perceived "lack of success" at Motown is because when they were at Motown they were seen as a "Motown" act and therefore were always being compared in terms of commercial success with the likes of DIANA ROSS/THE SUPREMES, THE TEMPTATIONS, STEVIE WONDER, MARVIN GAYE etc. and later on THE JACKSON FIVE.

When they were at Buddah they were only ever compared with ..... er?

Roger

marv2
02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Excellent points Roger and thank you for the information.

Marv

reese
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Roger, you beat me to the punch!

I too like their Motown material much more than the Buddah material, which went a little too far into the pop mode [[with the exception of the CLAUDINE soundtrack).

For some reason, there is a misconception that the Motown years were unsuccessful. I think a lot of this comes from interviews with Gladys herself, where she talks about not wanting to go to Motown, but being outvoted. If you watch the documentaries that have been done on Gladys, you would think that the group only had three or four hits while they were there, which is far from the truth. While it is true that they didn't have consistent pop success while there, they did achieve a lot. During the Motown era, they were always on television. Practially eery single was a R&B hit. They played the Copa. Vegas. The Royal Box in NYC. I'm sure that their success at Motown made them that much more attractive when they were negotiating with Buddah.

luke
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Good points above. I love some of the stuff on all the labels-and Vee Jay/Fury. I was in supermarket recently and Imagination came on and I was dancing in the pet food aisle! Neither One of Us still gives me chills. [[It's Gonna Take)All Our Love from Columbia so under-rated. I feel the Pips actually helped Gladys stand out and were intrinsic to her/their success. They were a very unique group.

Motown_M_1056
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I'VE SEEN GLADYS KNIGHT in concert SEVERAL TIMES. THE first time was with the Pips in the 1960s. THEY WERE A DYNAMIC LIVE Act!

arrr&bee
02-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Their album[life]is not up to snuff[i'm glad i only paid a dollar for it].

reese
02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I thought LIFE sounded like leftovers from VISIONS.

arrr&bee
02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
i thought life sounded like leftovers from visions.whoever produced[life]should've had the vision to leave it on the shelf!!

marv2
02-01-2011, 01:46 PM
The 1985 album, "LIFE" had one of the most inspirational, uplifting songs I've ever heard in "My Time". It immediately became one of my favorites at the time.

marv2
02-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Here we go y'all! "My Time"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jltLcrl7g2I

arrr&bee
02-01-2011, 02:24 PM
the 1985 album, "life" had one of the most inspirational, uplifting songs i've ever heard in "my time". It immediately became one of my favorites at the time.

i'll have to listen again because the first time i was only uplifted to take it off the turntable!!

reese
02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
LIFE did have the very underrated song TILL I SEE YOU AGAIN, which should have been a huge hit.

tomato tom
02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
topdiva
I dont do duets is on one of Patti Labelles albums. Burnin Hot, I think. Its Fabulous. XXX:D

midnightman
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
^ Correction, the album was just titled Burnin'. :)

marv2
02-01-2011, 04:55 PM
When Gladys sang "I Don't Want to Do Wrong", she made you believe it didn't she? LOL! You can only get coming out the church. Her phrasing and everything.

luke
02-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh yes she did Marv, oh yes she did!!

tamla617
02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
now we're talking class.i cant add anything to the above posts,except she can sing anything and its full of soul.
the fordoor and 57 chevrolet drophead werent bad either!

soulster
02-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Well .. is that really true? Personally I generally prefer their Motown material to the Buddah period, where some of their material veered a bit too much to M.O.R. for my taste .. possibly thats why they managed to crack the U.S. "Pop" market and score regular U.K singles hits when they were at Buddah. :)

In terms of U.S. R&B singles entries there is very little difference between the Motown and Buddah periods, looking at the Billboard listings we have ..

Buddah .. 17 entries .. [[ 1973 - 1978 )
4 made #1 and 7 further entries made the R&B Top 10.
Soul[[Motown) .. 17 entries .. [[1967 - 1974 )
3 made #1 and 9 further entries made the R&B Top 10.

A look at their R&B LP chart positions shows Buddah does have the edge but not by as much as we might be lead to believe.

Buddah : 1973 - 1978 : 9 entries : 3 made #1 and a further 2 made the Top 10.

"Imagination" #1 [[ #9 Pop )
"Claudine" #1 [[ #35 Pop )
"I Feel A Song" #1 [[ #17 Pop )
"Second Anniversary" #4 [[ #24 Pop )
"Best Of" #8 [[ #36 Pop )
"Pipe Dreams" #16 [[ #94 Pop )
"Still Together" #18 [[ #51 Pop )
"One and Only" #30 [[ #145 Pop )
"Miss Gladys Knight" #57 [[ no Pop chart entry )

Soul[[Motown) - 1967 - 1975 : 12 entries : 1 made #1 and a further 3 made the Top 10
"Everybody Needs Love" #12 [[ #60 Pop )
"Feeling Bluesy" #12 [[ #158 Pop )
"Silk N Soul" #11 [[ #136 Pop )
"Nitty Gritty" #11 [[ #81 Pop )
"Greatest Hits" #5 [[ #55 Pop )
"If I Were Your Woman" #4 [[ #35 Pop )
"Standing Ovation" #11 [[ #60 Pop )
"Neither One Of Us" #1 [[ #9 Pop )
"All I Need Is Time" #14 [[ #70 Pop )
And after their first Buddah L.P ..
"Knight Time" #29 [[ #139 Pop )
"Anthology" #10 [[ #77 Pop )
"A Little Night Music" #32 [[ #164 Pop )

I think this perceived "lack of success" at Motown is because when they were at Motown they were seen as a "Motown" act and therefore were always being compared in terms of commercial success with the likes of DIANA ROSS/THE SUPREMES, THE TEMPTATIONS, STEVIE WONDER, MARVIN GAYE etc. and later on THE JACKSON FIVE.

When they were at Buddah they were only ever compared with ..... er?

Roger

Hmmm...looking at your Buddah entries, I wonder where "Midnight Train To Georgia" and "Best Thing That Ever happened To Me" is. They went to #1.

Well Roger, it depends on how one measures successful. The quality of the Buddah material was much better since they were out from under the Motown thumb. The music was much more varied too.

jboy88
02-01-2011, 11:29 PM
When Gladys sang "I Don't Want to Do Wrong", she made you believe it didn't she? LOL! You can only get coming out the church. Her phrasing and everything.

Marv, That's my jam there. Indeed, The worst i've heard from Gladys & the Pips was a song that was just OK!

marv2
02-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Marv, That's my jam there. Indeed, The worst i've heard from Gladys & the Pips was a song that was just OK!

Jboy88, she, they were truly something else and I can never listen to or discuss their music too much!

roger
02-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Hmmm...looking at your Buddah entries, I wonder where "Midnight Train To Georgia" and "Best Thing That Ever happened To Me" is. They went to #1.

Well Roger, it depends on how one measures successful. The quality of the Buddah material was much better since they were out from under the Motown thumb. The music was much more varied too.

Hi Soulster ..

I didn't list the Billboard chart positions of the 45s in my original post, only the L.P.s so here goes ..

THE R&B NUMBER ONES [[ IN MY BOOK ) :)

Soul[[Motown) : 3
"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" - 6 weeks at #1 - [[ #2 Pop )
"If I Were Your Woman" - 1 week at # 1 - [[ #9 Pop )
"Neither One of Us" - 4 weeks at #1 - [[ #2 Pop )

Buddah : 4
"Midnight Train To Georgia" - 4 weeks at #1 - [[ #1 Pop )
"I've Got To Use My Imagination" - 1 week at #1 - [[ #4 Pop )
"Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me" - 2 weeks at #1 - [[ #3 Pop )
"I Feel A Song In My Heart" - 2 weeks at #1 - [[ #21 Pop )

And the other R&B Top 10 entries :-
Soul[[Motown) - 9 entries
"Everybody Needs Love" #3 [[ #39 Pop )
"The End Of our Road" #5 [[ #15 Pop )
"It Should Have Been Me" #9 [[ #40 Pop )
"The Nitty Gritty" #2 [[ #19 Pop )
"Friendship Train" #2 [[ #17 Pop )
"You Need Love like I Do" #3 [[ #25 Pop )
"I Don't Want to Do Wrong" #2 [[ #17 Pop )
"Make Me The Woman You Go Home To" #3 [[ #27 Pop )
"Daddy Could Swear I Declare" #2 [[ #19 Pop )

Buddah - 7 additional entries in the R&B top 10.
"Where The Peaceful Waters Flow" #6 [[ #28 Pop )
"On And On" #2 [[ #5 Pop )
"Love Finds Its Own Way" #3 [[ #47 Pop )
"The Way We Were" #6 [[ #11 Pop )
"Money" #4 [[ #50 pop )
"Part Time Love" #4 [[ #22 Pop )
"Baby Don't Change Your Mind" #10 [[ #52 Pop )

The "Quality" of the material is, of course, a personal opinion. As you say, the Buddah material was more varied .. but personally [[ being a Motown "Nut" ) .. I prefer the Motown material.

Just for interest here are the U.K. Pop chart entries. Some of the entries only made the UK chart when rereleased some years after their original issue.

Tamla Motown [[ 1967 - 73 ) - 6 entries.
"Take Me in Your Arms And Love Me" #13
"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" #47
"Just Walk in My Shoes" [[ Reissue ) #35
"Help Me Make It Through The Night" #11
"The Look Of Love" [[ issue of old L.P. track ) #21
"Neither One Of Us" #31

Buddah [[ 1975 - 1978 ) - 12 entries
"The Way We Were" #4
"Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me" [[ Reissue ) #7
"Part Time Love" #30
"Midnight Train to Georgia" [[ Reissue ) #10
"Make Yours A Happy Home" #35
"So Sad The Song" #20
"Nobody But You" #34
"Baby Don't Change your Mind" #4
"Home Is Where The Heart Is" #35
"The One And Only" #32
"Come Back And Finish What You Started" #15
"Its A Better Than Good Time" #59

So in terms of U.K. "Pop" success Buddah wins hands down.

Roger

MIKEW-UK
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Wow, I was surprised at the general low opinion of the Life album. I rate it very highly. Sam Dees contributed a number of songs, and he is a truly gifted songwriter. A personal favourite of mine is the title track "Life". Above the the clever rhythm arrangement and that super low bass, Gladys and the Pips contribute in equal measure to a rousing performance of a really thoughtful song, lightened with its witty references to Noah, Samson, and Moses and his top ten! You have to listen to those words...very clever!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYDCzY6WjOE

MIKEW-UK
02-02-2011, 11:46 AM
I really like the songs where the Pips are able to really show off their skills as in the "Life performance". Here's the video where Gladys is a Pip and Bubba takes the lead. Again written by Sam Dees, with Ron Kersey of Trammps, MFSB, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKQIVJtZH6w

And same song by Johnnie Taylor.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlV659K9OoQ

tomato tom
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks midnightman 4 the correction. Anyway, this thread made me listen to a lot more of Gladys & the boys than I have in eons. All I Need Is Time is on repeat play at the moment. And The Beatles Let It Be, of all things. But then I cannot honestly think of any song I really dislike....Paulo xxxx