PDA

View Full Version : 12 of the Greatest Soul Groups

test

marv2
11-07-2017, 09:45 PM
http://www.birminghamtimes.com/2016/06/12-of-the-greatest-soul-groups/

Luciano
11-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Interesting list and will agree all are great but some of the artists I may not consider "Soul". Surprised that The O'Jays didn't make the list as they have 10 #1 R&B/Soul hits.

marv2
11-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Interesting list and will agree all are great but some of the artists I may not consider "Soul". Surprised that The O'Jays didn't make the list as they have 10 #1 R&B/Soul hits.

That's how I feel Luciano. I'd also love to see others list their personal Top 10 Soul groups.

arr&bee
11-09-2017, 02:04 PM
I like this top ten stuff,because everyone has their favs..mine are-male[the temptations-the drifters-the impressions-the four tops-the spinners-the manhattans-the miracles-the isley brothers-the o'jays-the chi-lites]female-[the marvelettes-martha and the vandellas-the emotions-the shirelles-the supremes-patti labelle an the blubelles-love unlimited-the toys-the royalettes-the chantels].

JimBagley
11-09-2017, 09:47 PM
I enjoy reading other's musical favorites. My own favorites are capable of changing from month to month.Here are my current selections:
Male Groups:
The O'Jays
The Dells
The Temptations
The Four Tops
The Delfonics
Harold Melvin & his Bluenotes featuring Teddy Pendergrass or David Ebo
The Spinners
The Stylistics
The Chi-Lites
Earth, Wind & Fire

Girl Groups:
Velvelettes
Three Degrees
Supremes
Shirelles
Ronettes
Marvelettes
Martha & her Vandellas
Love Unlimited
Jones Girls
Honey Cone
En Vogue

marv2
11-10-2017, 02:36 AM
I like this top ten stuff,because everyone has their favs..mine are-male[the temptations-the drifters-the impressions-the four tops-the spinners-the manhattans-the miracles-the isley brothers-the o'jays-the chi-lites]female-[the marvelettes-martha and the vandellas-the emotions-the shirelles-the supremes-patti labelle an the blubelles-love unlimited-the toys-the royalettes-the chantels].

Great choices!

marv2
11-10-2017, 02:37 AM
I enjoy reading other's musical favorites. My own favorites are capable of changing from month to month.Here are my current selections:
Male Groups:
The O'Jays
The Dells
The Temptations
The Four Tops
The Delfonics
Harold Melvin & his Bluenotes featuring Teddy Pendergrass or David Ebo
The Spinners
The Stylistics
The Chi-Lites
Earth, Wind & Fire

Girl Groups:
Velvelettes
Three Degrees
Supremes
Shirelles
Ronettes
Marvelettes
Martha & her Vandellas
Love Unlimited
Jones Girls
Honey Cone
En Vogue

Even more great choices Jim!

glencro
11-15-2017, 02:19 PM
My personal favorites are:

Rufus & Chaka Khan
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
Ashford & Simpson
The O'Jays
Gladys Knight & the Pips
Earth, Wind & Fire
Sister Sledge
The Emotions
Mint Condition
Tony, Toni, Tone

tmd
11-17-2017, 06:07 PM
How would he not be on everyone's list

Four Tops
Temptations
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Jr. Walker and The All Stars
The Dells
Stylistic
Chi-lites
Drifters
Sly and The Family Stone
Jackson 5

marv2
11-17-2017, 11:38 PM
My personal favorites are:

Rufus & Chaka Khan
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
Ashford & Simpson
The O'Jays
Gladys Knight & the Pips
Earth, Wind & Fire
Sister Sledge
The Emotions
Mint Condition
Tony, Toni, Tone

Interesting choices Glen. I can see you chose some good ones from a wide time period.

marv2
11-17-2017, 11:39 PM
How would he not be on everyone's list

Four Tops
Temptations
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Jr. Walker and The All Stars
The Dells
Stylistic
Chi-lites
Drifters
Sly and The Family Stone
Jackson 5

It's hard to argue with your list Tmd. Great ones.

glencro
11-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Interesting choices Glen. I can see you chose some good ones from a wide time period.

Most of the music that I listen to range from the 70's to the 2000's. I wanted to squeeze The Brand New Heavies on this list but couldn't quite fit them in.

marv2
11-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Most of the music that I listen to range from the 70's to the 2000's. I wanted to squeeze The Brand New Heavies on this list but couldn't quite fit them in.

My range is from the late 50s and begins to peter out right around 2000. LOL!

glencro
11-26-2017, 11:26 PM
My range is from the late 50s and begins to peter out right around 2000. LOL!

I guess I should correct that because I also love jazz from the 40's, 50's and 60's [[Sarah, Duke, Ella, Coltrane, Dizzy, Les Morgan)...LOL at petering out in the 2000's. Don't give up hope completely. There are some good artists out there still but yea, my music purchasing really went down during the last decade

marv2
11-27-2017, 09:59 AM
I guess I should correct that because I also love jazz from the 40's, 50's and 60's [[Sarah, Duke, Ella, Coltrane, Dizzy, Les Morgan)...LOL at petering out in the 2000's. Don't give up hope completely. There are some good artists out there still but yea, my music purchasing really went down during the last decade

After Beyonce, who possibly could come out that's better? LOL!!!

jsmith
11-27-2017, 09:03 PM
I'd drop 4 of their choices [[including three who were on Motown labels) and substitute the Impressions, Dells, O'Jays and Artistics.