PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Sing HDH Expanded

test

caliluv
11-06-2017, 01:04 PM
I know I'm early considering A-Go-Go was released just a few months ago, I am anxiously awaiting Supremes Sing Holland Dozier Holland Expanded edition. Does anyone have any details? Thanks in advance.

gman
11-06-2017, 01:37 PM
I thought the Gold w/ the large speckled photo cover was great...it commanded attention and must have been very unique style wise and I imagine a big deal in getting record store display at the time. We had the hot pink detailing on A Go Go which seemed right in step with the budding psychedelic scene, and this seems like a classy attempt at retro / throwback.

RanRan79
11-06-2017, 02:32 PM
It was a beautiful album cover, even though the photo was from 1965. It was more "Supreme" to me than what they did with R&H cover.

Caliluv I'm anxious right along with you. I've owned A Go Go since 1993, and at the time it was first acquired I thought it was great. Over the years my enthusiasm waned quite a bit and it dipped in the rankings of my favorite Supremes albums. But the expanded edition mixes brought new life to not only the original album cuts but the previously released outtakes, and I've found myself enjoying the album the way I did when I first bought it. Now I can't wait for HDH expanded and to hear what the fellas do with that set. Hopefully it's even better than A Go Go!

mysterysinger
11-06-2017, 04:41 PM
In the UK it was released as The Supremes Sing Motown and I preferred the UK album cover [[and title).

thanxal
11-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Only Andy and George would know conclusively.

gman
11-06-2017, 05:14 PM
I had that one on a CD...got it from CDNow...remember them? they were very dependable for imports at a fair price. Now what little I do buy I get from Collectors Choice. I thought the title was more appropriate for the LP 80's reissue that featured cartoon like images
on the front...I loved that & the Motown Legends LP.... I had a 8 track UK distributed tape titled Motown Special [[I think!) in my car that had a very similar track selection to the Legends LP

luckyluckyme
11-06-2017, 05:25 PM
While promoting "The Supremes: The Ultimate Merry Christmas" on their Facebook pages, Andy & George revealed that they were putting some finishing touches on "The Supremes Sing H-D-H Expanded Edition" and that it should be available in early 2018.
The "Ultimate Merry Christmas" booklet merely stated that the HDH Expanded Edition was coming soon.

greg jones
11-06-2017, 10:53 PM
While promoting "The Supremes: The Ultimate Merry Christmas" on their Facebook pages, Andy & George revealed that they were putting some finishing touches on "The Supremes Sing H-D-H Expanded Edition" and that it should be available in early 2018.
The "Ultimate Merry Christmas" booklet merely stated that the HDH Expanded Edition was coming soon.

It is also mentioned in the Ultimate Xmas booklet that HDH disc 2 will contain the entire recorded May 67 Copa show!

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 11:11 AM
It is also mentioned in the Ultimate Xmas booklet that HDH disc 2 will contain the entire recorded May 67 Copa show!

Uh oh. I'm guessing that might mean there won't be many alternates or new discoveries making the set, like when the Roostertail show was released on Symphony expanded. I'll be glad to get it of course, but my excitement was for studio recordings.

thanxal
11-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Uh oh. I'm guessing that might mean there won't be many alternates or new discoveries making the set, like when the Roostertail show was released on Symphony expanded. I'll be glad to get it of course, but my excitement was for studio recordings.
It seems like a lot of those were front loaded onto A Go Go. Maybe Andy and George weren't sure HDH would get released so wanted to get those out to we, the adoring fans. But don't fear. They always seems to have a few delightful tricks up their sleeves.

gman
11-07-2017, 11:33 AM
I wish a Jean/Scherrie era lost and found would come out. HDH is one of my favorite overall LPS...the only dog on it for me was Heat Wave and in time I got sick of Going Down For The 3d Time in the stereo mix. I like the version as I originally heard it w/o the repeated "save me save me"

motownlover1964
11-07-2017, 11:38 AM
I agree with your view of Heat Wave. I was so excited to see it on the list of songs when I bought the LP when released but was underwhelmed by the song. I know comparing it to Martha's version is apples vs. oranges but I thought HDH would have pushed Diana a little in the studio. It seems, to me, like she just walked through the whole production. And, you could barely hear Mary and Flo.

lakedistrictlad1
11-07-2017, 12:29 PM
In the UK it was released as The Supremes Sing Motown and I preferred the UK album cover [[and title).

I preferred the UK cover too. I bought both the album and the CD version when that came out briefly in the UK.
There seems to be a few alternate shots from the UK cover photo cover. I'm sure we will be treated to one or two in the upcoming expanded set.

johnjeb
11-07-2017, 12:31 PM
I wish a Jean/Scherrie era lost and found would come out. HDH is one of my favorite overall LPS...the only dog on it for me was Heat Wave and in time I got sick of Going Down For The 3d Time in the stereo mix. I like the version as I originally heard it w/o the repeated "save me save me"

Glad HDH Expanded will be released and hoping for at least Reflections and Love Child to follow. I preferred the latter two albums over HDH.

Although I loved Copa, Talk of the Town and Farewell I don't get too excited about releases containing LIVE performances. I will still get HDH but, like Symphony Expanded, it will probably not get played as much as Meet, WDOLG, More Hits and A' Go-Go Expanded Editions.

I also prefer the mono mixes for Going Down and Remove This Doubt. I think the additional background vocal responses "Save me, save me" on the former and "From my heart" on the latter, on the stereo mixes, ruin the mood of the songs.

I'm also not a fan of the Motown covers on HDH, although I did like the alternates that were included on the A' Go-Go Expanded Edition.

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 12:46 PM
But don't fear. They always seems to have a few delightful tricks up their sleeves.

That's the good part. The guys usually have a surprise up their sleeves. I'm still anxiously awaiting the HDH set.

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 12:49 PM
I agree with your view of Heat Wave. I was so excited to see it on the list of songs when I bought the LP when released but was underwhelmed by the song. I know comparing it to Martha's version is apples vs. oranges but I thought HDH would have pushed Diana a little in the studio. It seems, to me, like she just walked through the whole production. And, you could barely hear Mary and Flo.

Agreed. I don't know why HDH slowed the tempo down. The Supremes were very capable of singing at the pace of the original "Heat Wave". Their version kind of drags along IMO. Even the version released on the previous expanded edition suffers from a slower pace, even though the girls sound pretty good.

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Glad HDH Expanded will be released and hoping for at least Reflections and Love Child to follow. I preferred the latter two albums over HDH.

Although I loved Copa, Talk of the Town and Farewell I don't get too excited about releases containing LIVE performances.

Love Child expanded is another one I'm anxiously waiting for. I love that album. But I agree about the live performances. The only ones I was excited about were the Apollo and Battle of the Bands performances on Meet expanded and the 20 Grand performance on WDOLG. I'll get excited for anything live pre 1965.

sup_fan
11-07-2017, 06:27 PM
I guessing on the track listing

Disc 1
Mono and stereo lp
There might be room for 2 or 3 additional tracks. There r a variety of mixes of YKMHO. Guessing they'll include a couple of them

Disc 2
Copa probably take up bulk of disc. Then room for 3-4 more tracks

I'm curious as to how much more "non specialty" recording the group was doing now. YKMHO was recorded in June and LIHANYG was recorded in aug/sept. I'll Turn To Stone and It's Same Okd were both ready for A Go Go. You're gone but always, remove this doubt and love is in our hearts were all older songs pulled from the vault. The tracks were already cut for There's No Stopping, I Guess I'll Always and Mother You.

I also wonder if there's much vault material left for Reflections either. One Side 1 there r some cool psychedelic soul tracks like Reflections, I'm gonna make it, I can't make it alone and bah bah. Even Forever is in a similar vein. I wonder if there's some more. Am I Asking Too Much seems to fit here [[released on Never Before Masters in 80s). Then In and Out was a pop tune recorded back w M and F along with Going all the way to true true love. What the world and Misery are A Go Go leftovers.

There are a few DMC sessions w HDH like stay in my lonely arms and heaven must have sent you.

daviddh
11-07-2017, 06:50 PM
i think you got it right , disc 1 is mono and stereo version , then disc 2 new mixes and new kevin reeves mixes.....and the copa show. I thought dina was ill during this show and that is why it wasn't released.
yes I heard there are several mixes of YKMHO. love the Motown story version with Flo and Mary whipping it up in the back up.

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 07:58 PM
I guessing on the track listing

Disc 1
Mono and stereo lp
There might be room for 2 or 3 additional tracks. There r a variety of mixes of YKMHO. Guessing they'll include a couple of them

Disc 2
Copa probably take up bulk of disc. Then room for 3-4 more tracks

I'm curious as to how much more "non specialty" recording the group was doing now. YKMHO was recorded in June and LIHANYG was recorded in aug/sept. I'll Turn To Stone and It's Same Okd were both ready for A Go Go. You're gone but always, remove this doubt and love is in our hearts were all older songs pulled from the vault. The tracks were already cut for There's No Stopping, I Guess I'll Always and Mother You.

This is probably the likeliest scenario. I figure YKMHO appears in some form aside from the mono and stereo released versions, probably Love Is Here also. Awhile back one of the guys announced that an alternate lead to an already released cut had been discovered with a different Supreme singing lead, but there was no other information given such as which song, singer, grouping or even where the recording falls in the timeline. So that's one more possibility, if the song in question is from HDH. The other Coke commercials might also show up here.

As for Reflections, I know there's an alternate "Forever Came Today". I had it on a bootleg disk but I can't find it. It's either packed away in another state or I accidentally tossed it. And then of course this would be the perfect time to get the Funk Bros version of "In and Out of Love", which I'm assuming is the original Supremes without the Andantes. I'm hoping we can also get the released version of In and Out with the Andantes removed, if possible, just for comparisons.

sup_fan
11-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Agree w all of these. I'm assuming the majority of the upcoming expanded editions will have alt vocals and alt mixes. And that's about it

bradsupremes
11-07-2017, 11:28 PM
Agree w all of these. I'm assuming the majority of the upcoming expanded editions will have alt vocals and alt mixes. And that's about it

Alternate vocals and mixes are great though. There's been some great surprises in those. An example would be the alternate mix of "Mother Dear" [[Version 3) with that hot piano instrumental and different background vocals not heard in the original 1966 mix released on the 2000 Pink box set.

RanRan79
11-08-2017, 12:08 AM
Alternate vocals and mixes are great though. There's been some great surprises in those. An example would be the alternate mix of "Mother Dear" [[Version 3) with that hot piano instrumental and different background vocals not heard in the original 1966 mix released on the 2000 Pink box set.

Oh yeah! I've never been a fan of the More Hits version of "Mother Dear", but I instantly fell in love with the re-worked version on the 2000 box set. I even love the re-recorded version on the More Hits expanded. I just can't bring myself to feel much of anything for the original version. But man did the guys really do a great job with the "Mother Dear 66" alternate mix on AGoGo expanded. They took a song I already LOVED and made me love it even more than I already did. That doesn't usually happen.

I would love for never before heard songs to appear on these sets, and I still hold out hope for new discoveries, which does happen from time to time. But knowing that we Supremes fans have been getting unreleased material for decades now, it's just common sense that at this point there's just not a ton of stuff left from the Flo years. So I expect alternates and I actually welcome them. Sometimes there's little to no difference- at least to my ears- between the versions and that can be a bit annoying. Other times it's "almost" a different song. Like the various versions of "Buttered Popcorn" or like recently, the original version of "It's the Same Old Song" on AGoGo expanded.

Motown Eddie
11-08-2017, 06:38 AM
I think they will include an 'extended version' of "You Keep Me Hanging On" [[ala the 'SupreMix' of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart") and as another poster had said, the remaining Coke Commercials.

djessie
11-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Great to get a confirmation! I'll order the CD as soon as it is up for pre-order.

sup_fan
11-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Lol oh I'm not complaining about the alt vocals. And the alt mixes too. I love how they bring out different instrumentation

zani57
11-09-2017, 06:20 AM
I think they will include an 'extended version' of "You Keep Me Hanging On" [[ala the 'SupreMix' of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart") and as another poster had said, the remaining Coke Commercials.

On "The #1's" there was the Almighty [[edit version) remix of "You Keep Me Hanging On." And Almighty released a longer version on one of its own Almighty disc collections. I wonder if that will be included here.

vgalindo
11-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Oh yeah! I've never been a fan of the More Hits version of "Mother Dear", but I instantly fell in love with the re-worked version on the 2000 box set. I even love the re-recorded version on the More Hits expanded. I just can't bring myself to feel much of anything for the original version. But man did the guys really do a great job with the "Mother Dear 66" alternate mix on AGoGo expanded. They took a song I already LOVED and made me love it even more than I already did. That doesn't usually happen.

I would love for never before heard songs to appear on these sets, and I still hold out hope for new discoveries, which does happen from time to time. But knowing that we Supremes fans have been getting unreleased material for decades now, it's just common sense that at this point there's just not a ton of stuff left from the Flo years. So I expect alternates and I actually welcome them. Sometimes there's little to no difference- at least to my ears- between the versions and that can be a bit annoying. Other times it's "almost" a different song. Like the various versions of "Buttered Popcorn" or like recently, the original version of "It's the Same Old Song" on AGoGo expanded.
Everyone has their own taste but I have always loved "Mother Dear" on the original album. The alt version is nice but I prefer the original.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-10-2017, 01:57 AM
Me, too, vgalindo. "Mother Dear" has always been my favorite track on "More Hits". Musically speaking, nothing gets be going like an uptempo shuffle beat. And "Mother Dear" was that to a tee!

floyjoy678
11-10-2017, 07:16 AM
I was never much a fan of the '67 Copa because I always hated that there were way too many show tunes in the act by this time and also this when they started doing that sped up hits medley. But over recent years I've come to appreciate the show tunes and reminded me why I fell in love with the group in the first place: they were so theatrical! Diana and Flo were both hoarse on the show and I'm sure the stress of what was happening behind the scenes had a lot to do with that.

I really, really cannot wait for this expanded edition. This has always been one of my favorite albums even with the dated material on there. At least it was more original material than the previous two albums they had. You Keep Me Hanging On. Love Is Here. Mother You, Smother You. Going Down for the Third Time. Bring it on!

gman
11-10-2017, 01:41 PM
I have never heard a live at the Copa LP that I loved or felt did the performance justice...the house band just didn't do any of the pop acts of the RnR period well...the most tolerable one is Bobby Vinton's. He is also a trained orchestra leader and horn player, and his arrangements sound like he went through great pains not to make the night club orchestra sound like Klezmer music. Compare any artist's other live LPs to the ones recorded at the Copa for an example. Perhaps they didn't use enough Strings and overdid it on the Brass? I never heard the Tempts Copa LP...and most likely
would like that and Marvin's as much as I like the Supremes just
because it was done at a early period peak

LoveSupreme
11-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Just wanted to take the time to recognize the fine and very talented gentlemen who made magic happen with their words and music:

http://www.rocknrollspotlight.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/arc0370_bx24_fl41_hollanddozierholland_001.jpg

gman
11-10-2017, 05:34 PM
great photo...is that [[L to R) Lamont, Eddie, Brian?

LoveSupreme
11-10-2017, 05:41 PM
great photo...is that [[L to R) Lamont, Eddie, Brian?

Yes. That is correct.

LoveSupreme
11-10-2017, 05:48 PM
I couldn't resist sharing this really cool publicity photo of Eddie. Hope you guys don't mind.

I am looking forward to the release of The Supremes sing Holland-Dozier-Holland. It's a great album and it contains what just might be my all time favorite Supremes track - You Keep Me Hangin' On.

I am not a big fan of the cover though. The graphics are cool, what I don't like is that picture. The girls are oddly posed and it does Diana absolutely no favors. She looks pissed off in the photo - it's not very flattering. It was also by the time of the album's release two years old.

They should have chosen a more flattering and current photo for the cover.

http://www.mcrfb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Eddie-Holland-Motown-MCRFB.jpg

vgalindo
11-11-2017, 12:58 AM
I couldn't resist sharing this really cool publicity photo of Eddie. Hope you guys don't mind.

I am looking forward to the release of The Supremes sing Holland-Dozier-Holland. It's a great album and it contains what just might be my all time favorite Supremes track - You Keep Me Hangin' On.

I am not a big fan of the cover though. The graphics are cool, what I don't like is that picture. The girls are oddly posed and it does Diana absolutely no favors. She looks pissed off in the photo - it's not very flattering. It was also by the time of the album's release two years old.

They should have chosen a more flattering and current photo for the cover.

http://www.mcrfb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Eddie-Holland-Motown-MCRFB.jpg
Wow. I love the album cover. I think all 3 of them look good!

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
01-16-2018, 12:45 AM
I'm assuming there is a slight delay in the release? :-[[

vgalindo
01-16-2018, 01:12 AM
I'm assuming there is a slight delay in the release? :-[[

Why do you say that? Should it have already been released?

jobeterob
01-16-2018, 02:25 AM
Is someone saying the HDH cover wasn't good?

I thought that was the best Supremes album cover ever - 3 strong, almost tough, black women - my recollection is that those were words used in a Rolling Stone Review. And Mary and Flo right there with Miss Ross. In Gold and Black. Solid gold.

I didn't think you could do better.

PeaceNHarmony
01-16-2018, 11:15 AM

I thought that was the best Supremes album cover ever - 3 strong, almost tough, black women - my recollection is that those were words used in a Rolling Stone Review. And Mary and Flo right there with Miss Ross. In Gold and Black. Solid gold.

I've always loved the HDH cover for the same reasons; a great amalgamation of contemporary Motown and old Hollywood glamour.

RanRan79
01-16-2018, 11:44 AM

They said they preferred the Sing Motown cover. I like the HDH cover as is, but the Sing Motown cover [[both shots that I've seen) should have made the cover of a US Supremes album. My vote would be the Rodgers and Hart cover since I don't care for the original.

Circa 1824
01-16-2018, 11:44 AM
i loved the cover pic, but disliked the pic on the back.

sup_fan
01-16-2018, 11:46 AM
i think the cover was strong too. This was the first "sophisticated" cover IMO although WDOLG could qualify too. More Hits and Symphony are great covers but to me they still convey the innocence of the girls. the Sups are still pretty young girls, having a ball, living the dream, singing "their parent's songs" on Symphony and doing it very well. A Go Go was the mod supremes. very timely to the era and reinforced how hip they were. HDH was the mature cover.

Reflections was a cool cover but the lp fell short. too many syrupy cover songs - should have had more HDH originals and psychedelic soul content.

Love Child was a cool cover and while the lp was strong, it would hold up better today in general had they stuck with the original concept of serious songs and social relevance.

Sunshine in - yikes

Cream of the Crop - love the group shot but the mega diana head. frightening.

Right On - ok but i think they could have done better

New Ways - we all know it should have just been the afro shot

Touch and FJ - love

the weed - enough said

Stevie Wonder - hmmmm interesting to wonder what look they could have gone with. i think something modern, funky

Sups 75 - meh. not memorable. could have been stronger. and the asian chic on the back cover subbing for miss birdsong?

HE - love, although the back cover art could have been stronger

MSS - wonderful, front and back. love love love

sup_fan
01-16-2018, 11:49 AM
forgot a few

original Meet - campy but great. reissue is only ok
Country, Liverpool, Sam - all are ok
Copa - great
Sing RH - pretty solid
Greatest Hits - classic
Talk of Town - amazing front, weak back due to image quality
Funny Girl - pretty strong
GH3 - gag
TCB - amazing
GIT - ok
At their best - weak
Japan - pretty good

RanRan79
01-16-2018, 12:09 PM
Sup fan I agree with most of your thoughts regarding the album covers. Obviously Jimmy Webb album [[or the weed as you call it:D) is the worst one. I also hate the cover of Greatest Hits 3 and Reflections and Sam Cooke. Sunshine In is okay. New Ways sucked, but I don't hate it. The obvious choice would have been the afro pic. Cream of the Crop would've been okay if not for the giant Diana head. It looks stupid. [[Note: in a previous thread some months back, I believe I may have erroneously ranted about my hatred of the Crop cover. At some point I realized that I was mixing that cover up with the Greatest Hits 3 cover but I never went back to correct my thought. Anyway, I HATE the Greatest Hits 3 cover.) Symphony was okay, but I would have chosen a more up to date photo. By the time Symphony hit the streets, that photo session was a year old and their look had changed for the better. [[Which is also my criticism of the R&H cover pic of the girls...it was years old and their look had changed dramatically by that time.)

My favorites are A GoGo, HDH, Greatest Hits 1&2, Love Child, Touch and Supremes 75.

TomatoTom123
01-16-2018, 12:19 PM

"mega diana head" LOL

Excellent description sup :D

sup_fan
01-16-2018, 12:38 PM
i thought the reflections cover was creative. realize that there's the alt version of it that included a few flo pics. and some get upset about her being cut out of pics. but overall i think it was pretty cool.

Agree that Symphony and R&H used older pics and could be considered a bit out of date. I think the same for the back cover of Cream of Crop. that was a pic from one of Cindy's first photo sessions

it did always strike me as odd that they included all of the Funny Girl skit pics in TCB. love the shots but since it wasn't in special it seems out of place

Forgot the duet albums

Join - ok. i think the back looks cheap though
Together - meh
Mag 7 - goofy but i sort of lik
Return - hate to say it but i love this one lololol. the front is sexy as hell and Mary and Cindy look fierce. plus Levi in chaps - mmmmmm ;)
Dynamite - i think this is worse than jimmy webb. beyond cheap. the weed is bad but at least you can attempt to explain it as being sensitive and artistic.

another i hate - Let Yourself Go set with the hideous "mothra" cartoon lolol. sorry Andy and gang. love all your work but i think the three-headed-hydra image frankly came from the MJL era during their Jimmy Webb promotions and it was bad then too. prefer the HE drawing

RanRan79
01-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Yeah, you listed some pretty bad ones. Of the duets with the Tops, the only one I like is Return. Dynamite is bad but I don't think anything is as bad as the cover of JW and not a Supreme to be found. Of the duets with the Tempts, Join is a beautiful cover and TCB is cool.

Flo being on Reflections cover would've just seemed silly at that point with Cindy firmly in her place. Putting Flo on the cover of Greatest Hits, even in painted form, was a smart move by Motown. They could've been petty and put Cindy on the cover. Good move.

Motownfan1971uk
01-16-2018, 02:29 PM
As a UK fan I love the picture on the supremes sing motown. I have to say my favourite album cover is i hear a symphony. I love Marys facial expression for some reason.

daviddh
01-16-2018, 06:50 PM
i did like the UK cover art,very elegant but the US version is also strong. I liked both.
I also like the REFLECTIONS and LOVE CHILD lp covers
I think 1-23-67 is the original release date of SING HDH

03-03-2018, 09:04 PM
They are awfully quiet about this release. I hope there is not a delay :-[[ I wonder if this expanded release will include everything from 1967 that Flo recorded with the group minus the Reflections singles and the standards of course?

kenneth
03-04-2018, 01:27 AM

That's hilarious!

Sups 75 - meh. not memorable. could have been stronger. and the asian chic on the back cover subbing for miss birdsong?

I know, right? I posted something about that lately. When I bought the album, I was about 12 I think and I didn't know about the comings and goings. I thought the lineup on the back was different because Cindy was unrecognizable!

jobeterob
03-04-2018, 02:32 AM
I know, right? I posted something about that lately. When I bought the album, I was about 12 I think and I didn't know about the comings and goings. I thought the lineup on the back was different because Cindy was unrecognizable!

That’s hilarious; I always wondered how it could be her

daviddh
03-04-2018, 09:25 AM
i am under the impression that the set is ready to roll , I think they are checking the print info, wonder if they will be out for Marys and Dianas b days this month. this has always been one of my favorites of theirs albums ,except Heatwave and Same Old Song which seem watered down. I don't get it. the Supremes rock out on YKMHO and then we get those two duds. those two tracks need to be beefed up. hopefully Kevin Reeves does his magic on these tracks

detmotownguy
03-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Who is the female on the back?

daviddh
03-04-2018, 07:55 PM
if we are talking about Supremes 1975 , it is Cindy B . I read that when she saw the pix she was shocked that they airbrushed her so much it didn't look like her.

daviddh
03-04-2018, 07:58 PM
They are awfully quiet about this release. I hope there is not a delay :-[[ I wonder if this expanded release will include everything from 1967 that Flo recorded with the group minus the Reflections singles and the standards of course?
aren't they always quiet on these releases...it always seem the supremes are area 51... FBI top secret.
would be nice to get a preview

thanxal
03-04-2018, 08:10 PM
aren't they always quiet on these releases...it always seem the supremes are area 51... FBI top secret.
would be nice to get a preview
George, Andy and Kevin will deliver...they always do.

kenneth
03-04-2018, 09:27 PM
if we are talking about Supremes 1975 , it is Cindy B . I read that when she saw the pix she was shocked that they airbrushed her so much it didn't look like her.

Cindy has those distinctive [[what I think of as) "Bette Davis eyes" and they certainly changed her look via the retouching of that photo. She completely lost her distinctive look about the eyes.

luke
03-04-2018, 10:48 PM
Why did they have to retouch? She’s a beautiful woman the way she is!

kenneth
03-04-2018, 11:04 PM
Why did they have to retouch? She’s a beautiful woman the way she is!

I guess it's one of those many Motown Mysteries, like who are the other 2 girls with Wanda and "the Marvelettes?" Hey that sounds like a good thread - Motown Mysteries.

luke
03-04-2018, 11:07 PM
Well they did that cause there was only 1 Marvelette in the pic! Wernt the other two the Ladies of Undisputed Truth!? Would be a good thread!

kenneth
03-04-2018, 11:19 PM
Well they did that cause there was only 1 Marvelette in the pic! Wernt the other two the Ladies of Undisputed Truth!? Would be a good thread!

I know that was one rumour, but Smokey was quoted as saying he didn't know who the girls were, and if it were Billie and the other girl from UT [[forgot her name!) he would surely have known that, I think.

Bluebrock
03-05-2018, 03:51 AM
I have it on very good authority that it is coming soon. Just be patient a little longer.

Fullfillingnessfirstfinale
03-05-2018, 05:43 AM
This is probably the likeliest scenario. I figure YKMHO appears in some form aside from the mono and stereo released versions, probably Love Is Here also. Awhile back one of the guys announced that an alternate lead to an already released cut had been discovered with a different Supreme singing lead, but there was no other information given such as which song, singer, grouping or even where the recording falls in the timeline. So that's one more possibility, if the song in question is from HDH. The other Coke commercials might also show up here.

As for Reflections, I know there's an alternate "Forever Came Today". I had it on a bootleg disk but I can't find it. It's either packed away in another state or I accidentally tossed it. And then of course this would be the perfect time to get the Funk Bros version of "In and Out of Love", which I'm assuming is the original Supremes without the Andantes. I'm hoping we can also get the released version of In and Out with the Andantes removed, if possible, just for comparisons.

Exsists a version of "Forever came today" by the real Diana Ross and The Supremes [[studio version) ? I know only the live version in the black sparkling dresses on the Ed Sullivan Show by Diana Ross and The Supremes without the Andantes

luke
03-05-2018, 10:21 AM
In one of the Motown books HDH [[one of them) states they did some recording experimenting with The Supremes in case the public tired of the way they had been producing them. I always wondered where those recordings are.

Quinn
03-05-2018, 10:49 AM
In one of the Motown books HDH [[one of them) states they did some recording experimenting with The Supremes in case the public tired of the way they had been producing them. I always wondered where those recordings are.Never knew that, but I do believe it. They had done it with the Tops in late 1966 covering "Walk Away Renée" and "If I Were A Carpenter". The sound they had created for them was wearing a bit as proved by the trades and that was their "experiment" on the Tops. So if these tracks on The Supremes haven't surfaced it would be interesting to see what route The Madmen took just to be safe in the future.

sup_fan
03-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Exsists a version of "Forever came today" by the real Diana Ross and The Supremes [[studio version) ? I know only the live version in the black sparkling dresses on the Ed Sullivan Show by Diana Ross and The Supremes without the Andantes

I know the single release of Forever is a little different from the lp. additional background vocals. Also I heard that this track was finished by other producers AFTER HDH left Motown. wonder if that's true

sup_fan
03-05-2018, 11:36 AM
In one of the Motown books HDH [[one of them) states they did some recording experimenting with The Supremes in case the public tired of the way they had been producing them. I always wondered where those recordings are.

I don't know how much experimentation would really have been done. they didn't have endless hours of leisure time to just sit around and toy with sounds. they were on a fast schedule and constantly having to crank out material. plus as the girls became more popular, they were touring constantly. seems like once they really hit their stride in 65, there was no turning back. occasionally M or F would get something on a concept lp - Sam Cooke, R&H, Merry Christmas, etc. But that's about it. Come And Get These Memories on A Go Go seems to be a bit of an anomaly.

luke
03-05-2018, 12:42 PM
I’d think they could dig up a few hours and get the ladies in one room! The Vandellas recorded an entire album one night after they did a concert.

03-05-2018, 03:35 PM
i am under the impression that the set is ready to roll , I think they are checking the print info, wonder if they will be out for Marys and Dianas b days this month. this has always been one of my favorites of theirs albums ,except Heatwave and Same Old Song which seem watered down. I don't get it. the Supremes rock out on YKMHO and then we get those two duds. those two tracks need to be beefed up. hopefully Kevin Reeves does his magic on these tracks
It is a pretty solid album with the exception of those 2 songs. Really love Love Is In Our Hears which I cant wait to get the mono version and I also love Remove This Doubt.

sophisticated_soul
03-05-2018, 04:23 PM
I have it on very good authority that it is coming soon. Just be patient a little longer.

That's good enough for me. Thank you Bluebrock.:)

marybrewster
03-05-2018, 04:40 PM
I guess it's one of those many Motown Mysteries, like who are the other 2 girls with Wanda and "the Marvelettes?"

Sisters Jackie Holleman and Regina Holleman.

marybrewster
03-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Sisters Jackie Holleman and Regina Holleman.

I should clarify; these are the "Marvelettes" that toured with Wanda and Gladys in the 80's and 90's; NOT the ladies on the "Return" LP cover.

Circa 1824
03-05-2018, 05:45 PM
I have it on very good authority that it is coming soon. .

What does that mean? Who told u this, or did you consult a Ouija board?
much of what you report seems to be top-secret.

daviddh
03-05-2018, 06:37 PM
George, Andy and Kevin will deliver...they always do.
absolutely they do

daviddh
03-05-2018, 06:40 PM
I think this could be a good year for us fans, if all goes well

mowsville
03-05-2018, 07:40 PM
so for years ive heard that "Love Is In Our Hearts" was recorded a lot earlier than most of the songs on H-D-H...It even says so in the booklet to the expanded "Where Did Our Love Go" yet DFTMC lists it as being recorded in June of 1966.

luckyluckyme
03-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Look at the "Where Did Our Love Go Expanded Edition" booklet and specifically the timeline for March-May 1964. Reference is made regarding 'Any Girl In Love [[Knows What I'm Going Through)', the original version recorded by Kim Weston, then lead vocals overdubbed by Diana Ross.
DFTMC designates Diana's [[the Supremes') recording as "[odb on Kim Weston] and shows that there was a 6 month time lapse between the recordings.

Going to 'Love Is In Our Hearts' at DFTMC, I note the same type of overdub designation, [odb on the Supremes]. I assume that this means that the vocals recorded by the Supremes in 1964 were replaced by new ones in 1966. Perhaps the Expanded Edition will contain the 1966 released vocals and the earlier recorded unreleased version from 1964, if the 1964 vocals were not erased. One can only hope.

luckyluckyme
03-05-2018, 10:38 PM
Just on a whim, I also looked up 'Remove This Doubt' mentioned in the 'Where Did Our Love Go Expanded Edition' booklet as cut for the Supremes during the same week as 'Love Is In Our Hearts'. According to DFTMC, this song was completed on January 13, 1965.

Bluebrock
03-06-2018, 04:18 AM
That's good enough for me. Thank you Bluebrock.:)
My pleasure. Our patience will be rewarded soon my friend.

Bluebrock
03-06-2018, 04:19 AM
What does that mean? Who told u this, or did you consult a Ouija board?
much of what you report seems to be top-secret.
If you must know it was George who told me. Is that good enough for you? Perhaps if George is reading this he can clarify it for you.

djessie
03-06-2018, 08:08 AM
My pleasure. Our patience will be rewarded soon my friend.
Thanks for the info. This will be a physical CD release, correct?

JohnnyB
03-06-2018, 11:51 AM

I was told by someone who I feel is reliable that it will be a physical CD and is targeted for an April release date...

vgalindo
03-06-2018, 01:23 PM
I was told by someone who I feel is reliable that it will be a physical CD and is targeted for an April release date...
How exciting. I can't wait.

thanxal
03-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Got my credit card ready to go. Buying two copies.

BayouMotownMan
03-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Just on a whim, I also looked up 'Remove This Doubt' mentioned in the 'Where Did Our Love Go Expanded Edition' booklet as cut for the Supremes during the same week as 'Love Is In Our Hearts'. According to DFTMC, this song was completed on January 13, 1965.

From Sing HDH, three tracks are over 2 to nearly 3 yrs old: You're Gone [[But Always In My Heart) was the B side to Come See About Me as Always In My Heart, Love Is In Our Hearts and Remove This Doubt were from early 1964. I noticed when I first purchased the lp that those three tracks don't have the polish of the rest of the lp. Diana was more nasal on those tracks and the piano work on Remove dated it to me.

sup_fan
03-06-2018, 05:18 PM
does anyone know the timeline for the HDH work slowdown and when they really departed Motown?

Sing HDH was released in January

In late 66 and early 67 focused on their concept albums - Sing R&H [[October time period and produced by Askey) and then Broadway to Hollywood sessions [[which were produced by HDH in oct and nov)

then in Jan 67 they were working on the Disney material with producer Michael Gentile.

In spring 67 HDH did various work on Reflections, The Happening, In and out of love, All I Know about you and Forever Came Today and a few others

In October 67, HDH worked with D, M and C on Heaven Must Have Sent You and some of the Reflections lp tracks.

In December 67 they were doing some of the gospel recordings [[what a friend, every time I feel). They also worked on I'm Gonna Make It. was that still HDH? or were they gone?

Of the Reflections

bradsupremes
03-06-2018, 07:49 PM
does anyone know the timeline for the HDH work slowdown and when they really departed Motown?

Sing HDH was released in January

In late 66 and early 67 focused on their concept albums - Sing R&H [[October time period and produced by Askey) and then Broadway to Hollywood sessions [[which were produced by HDH in oct and nov)

then in Jan 67 they were working on the Disney material with producer Michael Gentile.

In spring 67 HDH did various work on Reflections, The Happening, In and out of love, All I Know about you and Forever Came Today and a few others

In October 67, HDH worked with D, M and C on Heaven Must Have Sent You and some of the Reflections lp tracks.

In December 67 they were doing some of the gospel recordings [[what a friend, every time I feel). They also worked on I'm Gonna Make It. was that still HDH? or were they gone?

Of the Reflections

I'm pretty sure HDH were out before the end of the year. They did a few sessions in October for Chuck Jackson and the Isley Brothers on the track "I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love." In November they finished "Helpless" for Chuck Jackson, cut the track for "I'm In A Different World," and did some sessions with the Supremes. I believe the last recording session they oversaw were the background vocals for the Four Tops' "I'm In A Different World" which was December 13, 1967. R Dean Taylor supervised Levi's lead in April 1968.

BayouMotownMan
03-06-2018, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure HDH were out before the end of the year. They did a few sessions in October for Chuck Jackson and the Isley Brothers on the track "I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love." In November they finished "Helpless" for Chuck Jackson, cut the track for "I'm In A Different World," and did some sessions with the Supremes. I believe the last recording session they oversaw were the background vocals for the Four Tops' "I'm In A Different World" which was December 13, 1967. R Dean Taylor supervised Levi's lead in April 1968.

HDH was still at Motown in early 1968 but were on strike. They were there when Forever Came Today was issued because all spoke on how disappointed they were in song's failure. By summer they were gone

bradsupremes
03-07-2018, 12:55 AM
HDH was still at Motown in early 1968 but were on strike. They were there when Forever Came Today was issued because all spoke on how disappointed they were in song's failure. By summer they were gone

I always thought R Dean Taylor oversaw Diana's vocal on "Forever Came Today." I know he oversaw Levi's vocal on "I'm In A Different World." Maybe he did it on behalf of them? I don't think there were any new HDH recordings in 1968. I'm pretty sure "I'm In A Different World" was the last track they cut.

jobeterob
03-07-2018, 02:57 AM
I always thought R Dean Taylor oversaw Diana's vocal on "Forever Came Today." I know he oversaw Levi's vocal on "I'm In A Different World." Maybe he did it on behalf of them? I don't think there were any new HDH recordings in 1968. I'm pretty sure "I'm In A Different World" was the last track they cut.

Is this part of the reason R Dean Taylor always felt proper credit was never given on some Motown songs?

Bluebrock
03-07-2018, 03:39 AM
so i am told djessie, and i cannot wait!

sup_fan
03-07-2018, 12:01 PM

according to the Four Tops 50th anniversary singles set, it states that I'm In A Different World is the last HDH recording session. now what part of the song and what session, we don't know. was it the final vocal? was it the instrumental track? no idea

I too had heard that Forever Came Today was unfinished and that other producers completed it after HDH split. It does seem that HDH didn't make a regular habit of using the Andantes exclusively on the Supremes records. sure there are some tracks that were recorded using the Andantes and then shifted around until Diana put down a lead vocal. it doesn't seem that Forever was one of these - I'm pretty sure they intended it for the Sups. maybe they did the backing track and the lead and then another producer came in for the backgrounds? just guessing here

bradsupremes
03-07-2018, 01:05 PM
according to the Four Tops 50th anniversary singles set, it states that I'm In A Different World is the last HDH recording session. now what part of the song and what session, we don't know. was it the final vocal? was it the instrumental track? no idea

I too had heard that Forever Came Today was unfinished and that other producers completed it after HDH split. It does seem that HDH didn't make a regular habit of using the Andantes exclusively on the Supremes records. sure there are some tracks that were recorded using the Andantes and then shifted around until Diana put down a lead vocal. it doesn't seem that Forever was one of these - I'm pretty sure they intended it for the Sups. maybe they did the backing track and the lead and then another producer came in for the backgrounds? just guessing here

I’m pretty positive the last recording session they supervised was the Four Tops/Andantes background vocals on “I’m In A Different World” on December 13, 1967. Everything after that I believe was overseen by R Dean Taylor thus why he is credited as producer on the song.

“Forever Came Today” was cut in spring of 1967 and assigned to the Miracles. It may have been one of those tracks Motown pulled from the vaults for them to record so they could get an HDH product out there. I don’t know if HDH supervised the background and lead vocal sessions, but I’m leaning toward they didn’t. They were done by that time.

sup_fan
03-07-2018, 02:18 PM
good info Brad! I didn't realize Deke was listed as a producer for World.

Both World and Forever represent interesting "what if" scenarios. neither charted particularly well. and it seems that [[perhaps) neither were really completed by HDH. so we could speculate if these songs, in their current finished format, are really what HDH envisioned. would they have done some thing differently and potentially made them more commercial?

World seems like it should have been a hit. love that song. the intro is rather abrupt. and perhaps have Reach Out, Standing and Bernadette it's just not quite unique enough. but I think it should have done better

Forever is a fascinating song but I think not a good single choice. the melody and lyric just aren't as commercial. it doesn't do as well with my "whistle test" lol. hard to hum along and sing and the tune just doesn't stick in your mind like other Sup hits.

sup_fan
03-07-2018, 02:25 PM
although this is a bit off topic of Sing HDH, the recent discussions around timing of their departure, the last recordings, etc prompted me to do some reading on Wikipedia. on the page for In and Out Of Love, in the style/genre description it identifies this song as Sunshine Pop, a category that features the 5th Dimension, Mamas and the Papas, Beach Boys and others.

to me, this finally helped make some sense of this song and what they were doing with it. made me reconsider the entire Reflections lp. obviously the sound of songs like Reflections/Forever/bah bah bah are quite different from In and Out of love/Up Up Away. But both are influenced by California pop - sunshine pop and psychedelic pop.

so while I'm still not a huge fan of In and Out, the context of the album and the tracks makes a bit more sense

luke
03-07-2018, 03:30 PM
I’ve always liked In and Out of Love but it is a bit odd. Happy go lucky music and sad lyrics.

daviddh
03-07-2018, 04:23 PM
I ve always liked In and Out Of love also and thought it was different. I liked the live version as well but I would one day like to hear the original version without the Andantees,...if it exits. last I heard it did not. but since they seem to find things every expanded edition,.....maybe.
not sure who finished the Reflections lp but there were some clunkers. FCT always sounded like a demo to me

blackguy69
03-07-2018, 05:23 PM
A version of In and Out of Lovewith just Mary and Flo. Worth a listen to

bradsupremes
03-07-2018, 06:46 PM
good info Brad! I didn't realize Deke was listed as a producer for World.

Both World and Forever represent interesting "what if" scenarios. neither charted particularly well. and it seems that [[perhaps) neither were really completed by HDH. so we could speculate if these songs, in their current finished format, are really what HDH envisioned. would they have done some thing differently and potentially made them more commercial?

World seems like it should have been a hit. love that song. the intro is rather abrupt. and perhaps have Reach Out, Standing and Bernadette it's just not quite unique enough. but I think it should have done better

Forever is a fascinating song but I think not a good single choice. the melody and lyric just aren't as commercial. it doesn't do as well with my "whistle test" lol. hard to hum along and sing and the tune just doesn't stick in your mind like other Sup hits.

I always thought "Different World" and "Forever Came Today" were very similar songs. They're both in the same style and gave an indication of a possible direction HDH may have been taking the Supremes and Four Tops. Both songs are more complex and have seriousness to them about a profound life-changing love. Much different from their earlier songs like "Baby Love," "You Can't Hurry Love," and "I Can't Help Myself." It's a shame neither song chartered higher on the charts, but I think its due to their complexity and structure. They're weren't simple songs. Regardless, I think they are both beautiful and are some of HDH's best work.

sup_fan
03-07-2018, 07:22 PM
i wonder how HDH would have responded to the emergence of the heavier, more rock-influenced sounds of the late 60s. look at what Whitfield jumped into - how would HDH have entered that field?

not to say that they'd have given the Sups something that strong. but wonder what HDH's "Love Child" could have been?

aside from LC, most of the Sups late 60s content was still pretty innocuous. there are some attempts to broaden their sound - You Gave me Love, I'm So Glad I Got Somebody, Discover Me.

bradsupremes
03-07-2018, 08:59 PM
I guess it's anyone's guess what sound they could have gone with. Judging by "Reflections," "I'm In A Different World," and "Forever Came Today," my guess the sound they were aiming for would have been a more mature, complex sound. I'm not sure how if it would have worked. As incredible HDH were, they were losing their grip a bit on number one strongholds by mid-1967, but they were able to adapt and no doubt would have changed formulas if needed. Take a listen to Chuck Jackson's "Helpless," one of the last songs HDH produced at Motown. The intro of organ, french horn, oboe, bass, drum, and violin was quite different from previous arrangements of the song and shows their experimenting with orchestral instruments in songs. How many soul songs opened with an oboe and french horn? They used an accordion in "Reflections" too. We don't have anything to judge them by between 1968-late 1969 until the Honey Cone's "While You're Out Looking For Sugar" which was a throwback to their familiar 4-on-the-floor sound. Their Hot Wax/Invictus recordings are definitely what I like to think of as a "neo-Motown" sound although not as adventurous or daring as what they did when they were with Motown.

longtimefan
03-07-2018, 10:30 PM
My thought: I think that the expanded editions of REFLECTIONS, LET THE SUNSHINE IN, and CREAM OF THE CROP should be combined into one package identical to The Marvelettes two “Forever” compilations. Since those three DRATS albums have so many tracks that cross over the years, there could be both stereo and mono versions plus a disc of unreleased/alternate versions. The booklet would be the perfect place to annotate the legacy of these albums and explain the timeline of the individual tracks and how they came to be included on the various albums. This multi album collection would be an excellent finale to the Diana years.

Oh, I did not forget LOVE CHILD. Of course, it could well be included in this same multi disc set. However, I’m thinking that it might stand alone as an expanded edition. Of course, no one asked me. :-)

sup_fan
03-08-2018, 12:57 AM
yeah i had looked at their Invictus material to see if it would have provided any insights as to what could have been at Motown. and frankly, although the stuff is nice, it's not breaking new ground. some songs hit pretty well but nothing made an impact on the overall music scene like their classic Motown stuff. and sometimes people run out of new things. HDH don't really strike me as hard-core r&b producers, like what was emerging in the late 60s and early 70s. they were more on the pop side of things, IMO

RanRan79
03-08-2018, 09:04 AM

The version I had definitely didn't have Flo or Mary or Cindy on backing vocals. In fact I remember HATING the backing vocals. I thought it sounded like crap. [[Now to be fair, I haven't heard that version since at least 2005- the last time I remember seeing my cd- and there are quite a few musical opinions I held then that I have since changed my mind about.) How happy I will be if there is an early version in the vaults with Florence and Mary on backing vocals.

TheMotownManiac
03-08-2018, 03:15 PM
I agree - I hate the bg on that song. If ever a song needed DMF and only DMF, it was that one!

144man
03-08-2018, 04:00 PM
I guess it's anyone's guess what sound they could have gone with. Judging by "Reflections," "I'm In A Different World," and "Forever Came Today," my guess the sound they were aiming for would have been a more mature, complex sound. I'm not sure how if it would have worked. As incredible HDH were, they were losing their grip a bit on number one strongholds by mid-1967, but they were able to adapt and no doubt would have changed formulas if needed. Take a listen to Chuck Jackson's "Helpless," one of the last songs HDH produced at Motown. The intro of organ, french horn, oboe, bass, drum, and violin was quite different from previous arrangements of the song and shows their experimenting with orchestral instruments in songs. How many soul songs opened with an oboe and french horn? They used an accordion in "Reflections" too. We don't have anything to judge them by between 1968-late 1969 until the Honey Cone's "While You're Out Looking For Sugar" which was a throwback to their familiar 4-on-the-floor sound. Their Hot Wax/Invictus recordings are definitely what I like to think of as a "neo-Motown" sound although not as adventurous or daring as what they did when they were with Motown.

Freda Payne's Invictus album "Contact" starts off with a medley of "I'm Not Getting Any Better" and "Suddenly It's Yesterday" which structurally takes the style of "I'm In A Different World" and "Forever Came Today" into further extreme levels of complexity. I'm sure this is the direction that HDH would have propelled a solo Diana Ross. In fact "Suddenly It's Yesterday" even has a theme similar to "Reflections".

RanRan79
03-08-2018, 05:01 PM
I agree - I hate the bg on that song. If ever a song needed DMF and only DMF, it was that one!

The alternate version or the "famous" version? I was referring to the alternate. In truth, I actually don't mind the background on the single version. In fact I wish the vocals were turned up more.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
03-08-2018, 07:17 PM
No problem with the Andantes being on a song instead of Supremes. They had the best best harmonies. The heavenly harmonies blows others out of the water.

Circa 1824
03-09-2018, 04:06 PM
I too did not like the background vocals on Forever Came Today. What I do not like is the arrangement for the backup vocals, not the gals singing them. The Andantes are great if their vocal arrangement is great.

sup_fan
03-09-2018, 04:20 PM
I don't deny the fact that the Andantes had great vocal skills. their ability to harmonize is top notch.

But there's something about their tone that I've never really cared for. it's very clear on Forever, Love Child and many other DRATS recordings. I don't know how to really describe what it is that I don't care for. something about their vowel formation or something. and not sure if it's mostly 1 voice or the blended combination of the three.

now there are other songs where I find them enjoyable - many of the four tops recordings.

I think the bg vocals on Diana solos [[reach out, mountain and many others) and the four tops Still Water work is much preferred to the Andantes on the DRATS stuff. Perhaps it's the arrangements or keys they're singing in on certain songs. or maybe who's taking the soprano 1 part. I definitely like the Supremes backing vocals after Cindy shifted back to soprano 2 parts. I think her voice is weak on certain DRATS songs [[on the few times they used her) as they had her doing the top harmony with Diana in the middle. with the "new Supremes" Jean often took the top harmony which allowed cindy to move to the middle. jean's soprano tones are stronger and fuller than cindy's, which works better for the upper harmonies.

Circa 1824
03-09-2018, 04:32 PM
I do not like the backup arrangement for I's Livin' in Pure Shame. It would have been a bigger hit with a less shrill backup vocal.

luke
03-09-2018, 04:33 PM
I think Cindy with her airy soprano adds a great element to I’m Gonna Make you love me, with the Tempts

TheMotownManiac
03-09-2018, 05:05 PM
I can’t understand one word of what the bg on Forever is except when copying the lead. I think the mix is too gospelish- the voices seem heavy, I would have preferred the clean, clear sound of Mary and Flo. Although they i’m Not nuts about the bg on Reflections either. It’s all TOO gospelish for me on these songs. I want to hear what they are singing - not discuss for literally 50 years what it might be. I love The A’s on many songs - not these. They are perfect on Love Child. Actually, I also love The Blackberries On No Matter What Sign You Are and on TMITM tracks. In most cases, I do not care for the sound of Mary & Cindy alone on record. Flo’s clear, crisp soprano pierced and livened Mary’s rich, lush alto. Cindy, to me, sounds hushed and weak and dullifies Mary’s sound. Hey, I made up a word! I think. Dullify?

sup_fan
03-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Ahhh like the riddle of the sphinx!! what are the bg to Forever Came Today! lol

there's been several posts on here and I think this was the most accurate:

"Ahhhhh, Got My Man At Last, My My MY My Loneliness Has Passed..."

Fourtopsbiggestfan
03-10-2018, 12:21 AM
I definitely agree. The background vocals on a lot of songs that are way too low. Like on LOVING YOU IS BETTER THAN EVER.

03-12-2018, 11:23 PM
Come on Universal we are ready for a release date :-)

daviddh
03-13-2018, 07:10 PM
exactly Universal....they cant even give us a release date

Bluebrock
03-14-2018, 04:11 AM
Come on Universal we are ready for a release date :-)
I am sure they will do so just as soon as they are able to, and i am sure it will be well worth the wait.

jobeterob
03-14-2018, 12:18 PM
I see this on Facebook:

Patrick Ibens HDH was going to get released eary 2018. We're almost half way through ;) 2018 and still no news.... :[[
Manage

Show more reactions
· Reply · 2h

View 2 more replies

Andy Skurow It’s been finished since January. I have no idea.

thommg
03-14-2018, 02:04 PM
I see this on Facebook: Patrick Ibens HDH was going to get released eary 2018. We're almost half way through ;) 2018 and still no news.... :[[

When did the year get to be 5 months long? We're only in the middle of the third of 12 months - so not even a third of the way through the year yet.

Bluebrock
03-15-2018, 04:06 AM
When did the year get to be 5 months long? We're only in the middle of the third of 12 months - so not even a third of the way through the year yet.
Agreed. I don't think we need to start panicking just yet. I am as anxious as anyone to get my hands on this, but we do not know what is going on behind the scenes so we will have to exercise patience for what will hopefully be for just a little longer.

thanxal
03-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Agreed. I don't think we need to start panicking just yet. I am as anxious as anyone to get my hands on this, but we do not know what is going on behind the scenes so we will have to exercise patience for what will hopefully be for just a little longer.
Exactly. We know from the previous releases that Andy and George have little to no say over Universal's release schedule. Its only March so let's give them so more time to work their magic. Maybe if sales of A Go Go were strong, this might get green lighted sooner. Any data on how it sold?

RanRan79
03-15-2018, 09:56 AM

I think the smiley after "we're almost half way through" is meant to convey the joking matter of the statement. Clearly we're not almost halfway through, but to folks so eagerly awaiting the release, it might feel that way.

zani57
04-16-2018, 01:00 AM
Last post here was March 15. Today is April 15. Thought it was time to bump this back up again.

Any news? .........

Fourtopsbiggestfan
04-16-2018, 02:16 AM
Last post here was March 15. Today is April 15. Thought it was time to bump this back up again.

Any news? .........

Guess we'll meet back in another month. Lol

RanRan79
04-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Lol Hey, it hasn't even been a year since Supremes A Go Go expanded. Patience, patience.

danman869
06-13-2018, 10:21 AM
As of today, Amazon is now selling "Sing HDH: Expanded" for $20.19 and is still showing a US release date of Friday, June 29, 2018. If it gets more pre-orders, I wonder if it will go below $20 before release day?

thommg
06-13-2018, 10:51 AM
As of today, Amazon is now selling "Sing HDH: Expanded" for $20.19 and is still showing a US release date of Friday, June 29, 2018. If it gets more pre-orders, I wonder if it will go below $20 before release day?

A Go Go dropped lower as more people pre-ordered. I'm pretty sure it'll be worth the $20 bucks so I'm happy with that price! I just wait, impatiently, for the release date. I hope I have it on the 29th as I fly out to Texas for a visit on the 30th. I'd love to have this in my ears as I cross the US!

vgalindo
06-16-2018, 01:41 PM
I just looked today and Amazon US has it listed for $24.99. One cent lower than the $25.00 to get free shipping. They sure are smart! LOL

soulster
06-16-2018, 03:08 PM
Two days ago I posted that Amazon U.S. had the 2-CD set for $20.19 pre-order on June 29. It must have been a glitch because it's back at $24.00.

thanxal
06-16-2018, 04:46 PM
My Amazon has it at $20.19 in 6/16/18.

johnny_raven
06-16-2018, 05:47 PM
The iTunes version is missing the I Can't Help Myself / Where Did Our Love Go [Motown Mashup].

soulster
06-16-2018, 11:22 PM
My Amazon has it at $20.19 in 6/16/18. And that's what I saw a couple of days ago. Strange. Makes me want to wait until I see it at Zia's.

reese
06-17-2018, 09:04 AM
Oldies.com is listing it at $24.19.

thanxal
06-17-2018, 12:47 PM
I ordered using Prime and ordered as soon as it was available. Maybe if your order is further down the queue you get less of a discount ??? [[My 2 are still at $20.19). How Amazon prices is always a mystery to me.

thommg
06-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Two days ago I posted that Amazon U.S. had the 2-CD set for $20.19 pre-order on June 29. It must have been a glitch because it's back at $24.00.

If you do a search for the CD on Amazon, the price is $24.99. However, if you pre-ordered the CD, you need to look in your order list to see what your price will be. Amazon has a lowest price guarantee. If the price goes down during the pre-order period, your price goes down. If it goes back up, your price stays at the lower price. When I look in my order list, my price is still at $20.19.

marybrewster
06-19-2018, 12:50 AM
$20.19 is a steal when you think about what you're getting.....

soulster
06-19-2018, 02:43 PM
If you do a search for the CD on Amazon, the price is $24.99. However, if you pre-ordered the CD, you need to look in your order list to see what your price will be. Amazon has a lowest price guarantee. If the price goes down during the pre-order period, your price goes down. If it goes back up, your price stays at the lower price. When I look in my order list, my price is still at $20.19.

I screwed up. I put it in my basket but failed to actually pre-order it. Oh well, i'm still going to buy it. I was going to buy the Guns & Roses deluxe set too, but I think i'll just get this one.

TomatoTom123
06-19-2018, 06:46 PM
I was going to buy the Guns & Roses deluxe set too, but I think i'll just get this one.

You must have put that in your basket by mistake soulster... :p

soulster
06-20-2018, 03:27 AM
You must have put that in your basket by mistake soulster... :p
I have the original G&R CD already. I really don't want to buy it again. Besides, it will likely sound worse than the original CD.

"The Supremes Sing H-D-H", on the other hand, will sound much better than what's out there already. It will also include the mono version of the album, which is what I really want, plus the bonus tracks.

TomatoTom123
06-20-2018, 06:42 AM
I have the original G&R CD already. I really don't want to buy it again. Besides, it will likely sound worse than the original CD.

"The Supremes Sing H-D-H", on the other hand, will sound much better than what's out there already. It will also include the mono version of the album, which is what I really want, plus the bonus tracks.

Oh soulster I really have to disagree with you now! MONO!? How could you? :p Whenever I buy an expanded edition with mono mixes, I don't even import them onto my iPod.

soulster
06-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Oh soulster I really have to disagree with you now! MONO!? How could you?

Damn right! You must remember that it is the MONO mixes that were released as the singles. The singles were the hits, the ones that got played on the radio and sold in the stores. They are the mixes that people fell in love with back in 60s and early 70s.

Mono isn't just a matter of the same sound in one or two speakers, the balance of the elements in the mix are different. The drums are stronger, the bass is clean and solid, the vocals, and everything else has less echo and is defined with a solid image. The ratio of the vocals to instruments is balanced. Sometimes, there are slightly different edits, or elements that are included or excluded. And, for an even more technical reason, with mono, you don't have any phase issues.

If there weren't such substantial differences, the reissue producers wouldn't bother including them, especially as the first version to add to the set. Companies wouldn't bother to re-release mono singles CDs /boxes. Universal would not have spent time and money to reissue the first Hitsville boxed set, or that massive singles collection with every mono single from the beginning of the company to 1972. It's not just Motown. Stax released not two, but three massive singles boxes, two of which are comprised of mono singles!

Artists who have had mono reissues of their singles and/or albums reads as a who's who:

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Sam & Dave, The Grass Roots, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, Clarence Carter, Aretha Franklin, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Turtles, Steppenwolf, The Mamas and the Papas, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Wilson Pickett, Jr. Walker & The All-Stars, Dionne Warwick, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Marvelettes, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, The Dave Clark Five, James Brown, and many more I can't even think of at the moment.

ejluther
06-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Beautifully put! MONO is an art form in its own right!

Damn right! You must remember that it is the MONO mixes that were released as the singles. The singles were the hits, the ones that got played on the radio and sold in the stores. They are the mixes that people fell in love with back in 60s and early 70s.

Mono isn't just a matter of the same sound in one or two speakers, the balance of the elements in the mix are different. The drums are stronger, the bass is clean and solid, the vocals, and everything else has less echo and is defined with a solid image. The ratio of the vocals to instruments is balanced. Sometimes, there are slightly different edits, or elements that are included or excluded. And, for an even more technical reason, with mono, you don't have any phase issues.

If there weren't such substantial differences, the reissue producers wouldn't bother including them, especially as the first version to add to the set. Companies wouldn't bother to re-release mono singles CDs /boxes. Universal would not have spent time and money to reissue the first Hitsville boxed set, or that massive singles collection with every mono single from the beginning of the company to 1972. It's not just Motown. Stax released not two, but three massive singles boxes, two of which are comprised of mono singles!

Artists who have had mono reissues of their singles and/or albums reads as a who's who:

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Sam & Dave, The Grass Roots, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, Clarence Carter, Aretha Franklin, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Turtles, Steppenwolf, The Mamas and the Papas, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Wilson Pickett, Jr. Walker & The All-Stars, Dionne Warwick, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Marvelettes, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, The Dave Clark Five, James Brown, and many more I can't even think of at the moment.

144man
06-20-2018, 01:09 PM
I still have my Phil Spector "Back To Mono" badge somewhere.

thanxal
06-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Has anyone found any streaming samples for Supremes HDH Expanded yet? Only "The Happening" on iTunes and nothing on Amazon.