PDA

View Full Version : Martha & Benjamin

test

copley
11-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Martha at her very best from her finest album ‘Black Magic’. IMHO I think that this would have been a hit had it been released as a single. Written by the very talented and I think underrated duo of Nick Zesses & Dino Fekaris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_FLdIYkMA

PeaceNHarmony
11-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Indeed a great one. Reeves sings the song like a 3-act play.

sup_fan
11-05-2017, 03:35 PM
This whole album is sensational and Benjamin is a great track. My only criticism is added Something after it was already on Natural Resources. But not a bad track. And Martha's vibrato isn't too out of control here either. Great album from start to finish

gman
11-05-2017, 08:23 PM
I first heard the song on the Purple 2 LP Anthology, and thought it was the best song on that last side. Those Anthology LPS were released in my middle high school years...I had the 3 girl groups and Marvin's and my girlfriend had the Tempts, Tops, Smokey and of course Marvins...he was both her older sisters and her fav. singer. We got quite an education in the larger scope of Motown
because beforehand we only were familiar with the top 20 hits that were popular during our not so long at the time record buying years, or the really big hits that got play on WCBS FM oldies or WABC Flashback play. And I in addition had to get a few of my special faves on the 45 RPM Yesteryear Series so I'd have the single too...I knew Heatwave, Memories, Dancing In The St., Jimmy Mack, My Baby Loves Me & I'm Ready For Love because I had the '71 issue Motown Story box....the rest were all newly discovered gems for me

daviddesper
11-06-2017, 12:46 AM
Benjamin was a great story song but I am not sure it could have been a hit musically speaking. Like all of you, I treasured this album back in the day and as we have all said thousands of times, it is a travesty that Bless You didn't chart higher. It could have been/should have been a huge hit. I also thought their treatment of Dionne's Anyone Who Had a Heart was amazing. But there was not a weak cut on the album.

gman
11-06-2017, 01:35 AM
I liked Bless You too...I had read about I Can't Dance but since that wasn't on the LP [[along with In My Lonely Room) I had to wait till I got the CD version to hear them. I like I Can't Dance. I thought MR didn't complete the recording and they finished it with Syreeta singing the choruses, but there is a alt. on youtube with MR singing the entire song...anyone can shed some light for me? I don't have Black Magic...in the very early 70's I had Heat Wave and the LIVE Lp..[[no comment!) and I had the Pickwick abridged Dance Party... those Pickwick releases had really good fidelity. I had Baby Love as well and it sounded really FAT...On CD I have the Heatwave / Dance Party 2fer and on LP have a 80s vinyl
reissue Come and Get These Memories which for some reason has the orig. Gordy label and release # despite the thin non grey inner cardboard but coated white cardboard jacket interior.

arr&bee
11-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Benjamin is one of martha's best ever,she's at the top of her game here.

TomatoTom123
11-06-2017, 12:06 PM
I liked Bless You too...I had read about I Can't Dance but since that wasn't on the LP [[along with In My Lonely Room) I had to wait till I got the CD version to hear them. I like I Can't Dance. I thought MR didn't complete the recording and they finished it with Syreeta singing the choruses, but there is a alt. on youtube with MR singing the entire song...anyone can shed some light for me?

Ooh, gman, I think that’s quite a long story to go into, lol. Let me try and find a relevant thread for ya... :)

TomatoTom123
11-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Ooh, gman, I think that’s quite a long story to go into, lol. Let me try and find a relevant thread for ya... :)

https://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/3838/1748.html?1042799727

Writer and producer of the song Deke Richards explains it himself gman! Enjoy :D

gman
11-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Wow!...thank you TomatoTom for going through the trouble of locating that for me. I have not read from the sister site much. I will be doing a bit more reading there.

jobeterob
11-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Are we sure that Benjamin was never released as a single?

RanRan79
11-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Benjamin was a great story song but I am not sure it could have been a hit musically speaking. Like all of you, I treasured this album back in the day and as we have all said thousands of times, it is a travesty that Bless You didn't chart higher. It could have been/should have been a huge hit. I also thought their treatment of Dionne's Anyone Who Had a Heart was amazing. But there was not a weak cut on the album.

"Benjamin" is one of my favorite Martha vocals, but I agree, I'm not convinced about it being a hit. Although if "Ben" could be a hit- a song I loathe- I guess "Benjamin" certainly had a chance. I also agree on their version of "Anyone Who Had a Heart". That is one of my all time favorite songs period. Rarely- if ever- have I heard a version I didn't like, and it's quite possible that Martha's version is my favorite. Such a different arrangement. I love when remakes are given a completely unique spin.

copley
11-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Yes we are most definitely sure that 'Benjamin' was never released as a single.

Singles were:

Bless You
In & Out of my Life
Tear it on Down
No One There

It wasn't even a 'b' side.

reese
11-06-2017, 03:11 PM

It wasn't, at least not in the US. I think there might be some confusion because it was included on the Vandellas' ANTHOLOGY from 1974, which contained singles.

copley
11-06-2017, 03:17 PM
And not in the UK either!

gman
11-07-2017, 01:19 AM
definitely gets MR&TV best LP cover award, too. classy, and stylish
even for so many years after

arr&bee
11-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Did dionne ever do this song? It would have been right for her too!