PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY BIRTHDAY To Motown's Former Supreme Scherrie Payne.

test

REDHOT
11-04-2017, 05:28 PM
And A HAPPY BIRTHDAY,To Motown's Former Supreme Scherrie Payne, Shes The Best.

marv2
11-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Hey, Happy Birthday Scherrie....."Ms Payne Killer"!

marv2
11-04-2017, 06:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJBSdZxYZn4

marv2
11-04-2017, 06:42 PM
One their finest........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9wVwIri6kE

sansradio
11-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Happy birthday to the incredible Miss Scherrie Payne! You were one of the most dynamic singers ever to be a Supreme. Many happy returns!

thanxal
11-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Happy Birthday Ms. Payne! May you have many, many more.

TomatoTom123
11-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Happy Birthday Scherrie Payne!!!! :D

gman
11-05-2017, 02:04 AM
Scherrie Scherrie Baby! you breathed new life into the Supremes and I love you! ...she really was like the "secret weapon" Every time I play a SP era cut for the unfamiliar they are surprised to hear its the Supremes...even many folks who know and can sing the chorus of "Walking" don't know its the Supremes. I also like Glass House...If It Ain't Love is my fav. GH cut

jim aka jtigre99
11-05-2017, 02:04 PM
I have always felt that Scherrie Payne was never given her due as a Supreme. Her gloriously talented voice was so strong, her looks were so glamorous and beautiful. I think many folks dismiss her because her voice wasn't as distinctive or high as Diana Ross' or Jean Terrell's, but she had as much ability, if not more, to be as pliable to sing many genres and she was perfect for the dance/disco era. Her moves were graceful and she always embodied the Supremes' spirit. She had the power and gusto that is so championed by those who wished Florence had more leads, plus she had a timbre similar to Mary in that she could also blend in harmony-witness how beautiful the harmonies of Mary, Scherrie & Cindy. I know this is to wish her a Happy Birthday, but I would also wish that Scherrie Payne get her due as a Supreme and how her glorious talent was so overlooked. Scherrie will always be one of my favorite singers. We love you, Scherrie.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Belated Happy Birthday, Scherrie! Hope your special day was a good one.

gman
11-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Mary Scherrie & Cindy were on the money...they had the best blend.
Both versions of the Star Spangled Banner knock me out....the outdoor one with Cindy in the center is the better of the 2 IMHO.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-06-2017, 05:47 PM
I agree that Mary, Scherrie, and Cindy had a great vocal blend, gman. I caught their live act in 1975 when they were promoting their new "The Supremes" [["He's My Man") album. The girls were stunning -- both visually and aurally. And the audience let 'em know it, too. Plus, to top off the excitement of the evening, Mary winked at me!

marv2
11-06-2017, 05:49 PM
This grouping of the Supremes [[Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne) were all that.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Yeah, they sure we're, Marv. If I recall correctly, in her 2nd book, Mary exclaimed that the grouping of her, Scherrie, and Cindy were the best-looking version of The '70s Supremes. And she supported that with several photos. I agree with her wholeheartedly.

marv2
11-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Yeah, they sure we're, Marv. If I recall correctly, in her 2nd book, Mary exclaimed that the grouping of her, Scherrie, and Cindy were the best-looking version of The '70s Supremes. And she supported that with several photos. I agree with her wholeheartedly.

I know she wasn't lying. One day I saw this full color picture of them, each wrapped in a fur coat on the back of "Right On" Magazine in 1974 and my eyes nearly popped out! LOL! That was the first time I saw this grouping and I stared at that pic for a very long time......hehehehehehe!

gman
11-06-2017, 06:22 PM
My name is Gary, too...I have a 12 letter last name so I used 2 "r" s
for years. I am not a big fan of Flo's...MW was my fave, and Flo
was gone by the time I took interest, so Cindy was and remains
my fav group soprano.

marv2
11-06-2017, 06:28 PM
When I first saw this picture, I forgot about all past Supremes groups! LOL!!!

Philles/Motown Gary
11-06-2017, 06:48 PM
My name is Gary, too...I have a 12 letter last name so I used 2 "r" s
for years. I am not a big fan of Flo's...MW was my fave, and Flo
was gone by the time I took interest, so Cindy was and remains
my fav group soprano.
Hey, Gary! Nice to meet you! [[A 12-letter last name, eh? That would take some time to write out a check! I hope you learned short-hand!) I liked Flo, but I loved Cindy. To my ears, Cindy's voice blended better with Mary's. And with Cindy's entrance, the group became super-glamorous, which I loved. No matter how you cut it, though, they were all very special in their own way, as were all of the Motown artists.

gman
11-06-2017, 10:04 PM
That was the first pic I saw of this trio too...but the Sonny & Cher
performance was just prior to this and I didn't know who Scherrie was on S&C. I knew Cindy was back in a glance..I had that photo in my long gone scrapbook for years an I still remember the caption said :"Looks like the Supremes have found a real good thing in the form of Scherrie Payne" I went to the record store every week on Tues. when the new 45's would arrive for over a year. I thought
that new unheard of 3 part lead song they performed would be the new long awaited single...I didn't know about vocal overdubs being possible on existing tracks and even though it sounded a tad familiar and I played the very unfamiliar to me Jim Webb cut to see if it was that song I [[having only heard the S&C TV performance once) decided it may be similar but couldn't be All I Want..I find the Webb version as well as This is Why I Believe In You a manic mess.
The 3 part lead version of All I Want softens the song a lot but it is still very racey. I like composer Joni Mitchells 74 double live LP much more than I like her studio LPs and All I Want is on there.

marv2
11-06-2017, 10:23 PM
That was the first pic I saw of this trio too...but the Sonny & Cher
performance was just prior to this and I didn't know who Scherrie was on S&C. I knew Cindy was back in a glance..I had that photo in my long gone scrapbook for years an I still remember the caption said :"Looks like the Supremes have found a real good thing in the form of Scherrie Payne" I went to the record store every week on Tues. when the new 45's would arrive for over a year. I thought
that new unheard of 3 part lead song they performed would be the new long awaited single...I didn't know about vocal overdubs being possible on existing tracks and even though it sounded a tad familiar and I played the very unfamiliar to me Jim Webb cut to see if it was that song I [[having only heard the S&C TV performance once) decided it may be similar but couldn't be All I Want..I find the Webb version as well as This is Why I Believe In You a manic mess.
The 3 part lead version of All I Want softens the song a lot but it is still very racey. I like composer Joni Mitchells 74 double live LP much more than I like her studio LPs and All I Want is on there.

I saw the above picture about a week or two before the January 1974 appearance on the Sonny & Cher Show. So I knew Scherrie would be with them,but I had never seen her perform before that night. I actually caught the show that night by accident on the basement television [[you know the ones with the dials on them? LOL!) Anyway, after that night I was completely sold on her.

gman
11-07-2017, 11:40 AM
I was waiting for a 2nd song to be performed...I figured All I Want was the new single and maybe a LP cut or current top 40 song would be coming up next....there was a extremely short skit on a bus or train with a British actor too.

marv2
11-07-2017, 11:55 AM
I was waiting for a 2nd song to be performed...I figured All I Want was the new single and maybe a LP cut or current top 40 song would be coming up next....there was a extremely short skit on a bus or train with a British actor too.

I remember the skit on the train about a tasteless joke.