PDA

View Full Version : The Crystals and The Blossoms and the #1 He's A Rebel

test

jobeterob
11-03-2017, 07:14 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8023139/the-crystals-hes-a-rebel-darlene-love-rewinding-the-charts-1962

PeaceNHarmony
11-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Good piece, thanks.

antceleb12
11-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I had the great pleasure of seeing Darlene Love just a couple weeks ago in concert, front and center. I knew I was going to get the voice, but WOW what an incredible concert that was!! Hearing her sing those iconic songs I've heard a million times on records was too surreal. Darlene's voice was better than ever, she looked stunning, and her band/backup singers were TOP NOTCH. Unsurprisingly, she gave a sizeable spot to her backups, clearly never having forgotten where she came from. When she started singing "He's a Rebel," you could just feel the energy in the room change. It was incredibly to hear this iconic song sung by the legendary voice behind the record. Best of all, I got several things autographed and got to meet her afterwards.

Motown Eddie
11-04-2017, 06:49 AM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8023139/the-crystals-hes-a-rebel-darlene-love-rewinding-the-charts-1962

I remember when I first heard the full story behind "He's A Rebel" back in the early '80s. This is one of things that can happen when the recording artists don't own the names they record under. Anyway, it's good to see that Darlene Love is still going strong [[I saw her live last year and she still puts on a good show).

luke
11-04-2017, 08:30 AM
I saw her last year...amazing. In an ongoing discussion, we have had, why does her voice seem not to be affected by the passage of time?

helga
11-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Great photo, antceleb. Glad you got to meet her, she is certainly a legend. I saw her in concert a few years ago, just after 12 Feet had come out. Unfortunately, my partner and I both left the concert before the encore, feeling disappointed. The first half of the show was great, despite some excessive egocentric banter and name dropping [[ie. "I will do this song at your private event or wedding, as long as you pay my $5,000 fee and pay for my stylist"). Then there was a brief intermission and following the intermission, she did not return to the stage for quite some time and her band continued to sing and play. Between the intermission and the solo spots from the band, she was gone for over 35 minutes. I am not sure if she was simply under the weather that evening [[although that did not appear to be the case) or if that is the norm for her shows? I still love and appreciate her and her huge contributions to music history. I also love her latest album, which she performed wonderfully at the holiday show we had seen.

smallworld
11-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Didn't Darlene have a heart attack, or some heart trouble a few years ago? The woman is in her 70s and she has a full throttle vocal style. It wouldn't surprise me if she sometimes has to pace herself and take breaks - that would partly explain the segment[[s) given to her backing vocalists.

Glad to hear that she's performing songs from her last album. I've been enjoying it consistently since its release. Does she do "Last Time" in concert?