PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves & The Vandellas 'Sugar n' Spice' - A Lost Masterpiece

test

PeaceNHarmony
11-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Listening recently to this 1969 lp I'm once again impressed with the selection of material, the first-class musicianship, production, and arrangements, and of course the superb and instantly recognizable singing by our beloved Dr. Martha Reeves. Recorded during a difficult period in Reeves' life and at a time of changing musical sounds the piece still sounds completely cohesive and radio-ready. In addition to the 12 songs on the released lp there seem to be 20+ other songs from sessions during the same period. Other than what we can all find with internet research do we know anything more about the sessions involved?

lakeside
11-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Isn't this the LP that the Vandella's aren't on [[mostly) if at all? I do like the LP and remember buying it when I was in college. I thought
the cover was pretty cool back in the day.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.P6mP50w3q4Kiy54uA_qMrQEgEs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

mistercarter2u
11-03-2017, 03:24 PM
This is an excellent album, all the way around, though when it came out, it was not a hit. It didn't even dent Billboard's Top 200 albums chart. I think the lack of a powerful hit single is what hurt it... plus a total lack of care and promotion on Motown's part.

As for bonus tracks, I have been absolutely amazed by the quality of the originally-unreleased Martha and Vandellas tracks that have since appeared on Lost and Found and the Singles Collection sets, as well as various Motown comps. A lot of those tracks are actually better than the ones that were released. Was Motown intentionally not releasing these gems to destroy Martha's career? I wonder....

PeaceNHarmony
11-03-2017, 03:40 PM
This is an excellent album, all the way around, though when it came out, it was not a hit. It didn't even dent Billboard's Top 200 albums chart. I think the lack of a powerful hit single is what hurt it... plus a total lack of care and promotion on Motown's part.

As for bonus tracks, I have been absolutely amazed by the quality of the originally-unreleased Martha and Vandellas tracks that have since appeared on Lost and Found and the Singles Collection sets, as well as various Motown comps. A lot of those tracks are actually better than the ones that were released. Was Motown intentionally not releasing these gems to destroy Martha's career? I wonder....
Right? The quality of the outtake material could have made for 2 more great lps. I don't buy the theory of Motown trying to destroy Martha's career. A far simpler, and much less costly way of doing that would be to retain the artist and simply not record him/her. My guess is that the label kept up their production-line recording but as this was the period of time when Martha was unwell time kept slipping by during her inability to perform live and/or promote the releases. It doesn't make sense that such superb care would be put into SO MANY tracks with the sole purpose of sinking a career. I'm sure glad we have these tracks!

PeaceNHarmony
11-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Isn't this the LP that the Vandella's aren't on [[mostly) if at all? I do like the LP and remember buying it when I was in college. I thought
the cover was pretty cool back in the day.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.P6mP50w3q4Kiy54uA_qMrQEgEs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300
One of them - it's the third-last MRATV lp and seems to lack Vandellas! That aside Martha's singing is just great, as are the songs. To my taste there were 3 candidates for singles. And yes, though corny, I've always loved the cover as well!

sup_fan
11-03-2017, 03:49 PM
This is definitely a stronger set. The lack to too many covers is a plus. Although I do have to say that during this time Martha's vibrato was getting a bit wild for me. I sort of liken this to her version of Diana's hiccup. It's just a vocal practice I'm not a particular fan of

I do think that Martha was one of her own biggest enemies. In reading her biography she definitely made some poor decisions in the later 60s. Not to mention the internal strife w the other vandellas.

The pattern repeats. If a group or singer is becoming too distracted by outside influences, lack of professionalism, perceptions of their dedication etc then Berry seems to just pass them by. MRATV, the marvelettes. The 70s sups. And more

copley
11-03-2017, 04:06 PM
http://tinyurl.com/y8erxh32

A really tight set. 'Taking My Love [[And Leaving Me)' was a great single and should have been huge. 'I Hope That You Have Better Luck Than I Did' and 'Shoe Leather Express Way' should both have been released as singles. I agree that Martha's voice was getting a bit too shrill but on the whole it's a really enjoyable album much better than 'Natural Resources'.

PeaceNHarmony
11-03-2017, 07:06 PM
http://tinyurl.com/y8erxh32

A really tight set. 'Taking My Love [[And Leaving Me)' was a great single and should have been huge. 'I Hope That You Have Better Luck Than I Did' and 'Shoe Leather Express Way' should both have been released as singles. I agree that Martha's voice was getting a bit too shrill but on the whole it's a really enjoyable album much better than 'Natural Resources'.
'Taking' and 'Shoe Leather' are my favs as well, and 'I Hope' a strong third. For me this lp just sparkles every time I play it.

bradsupremes
11-03-2017, 07:35 PM
I thought "Taking My Love And Leaving Me" was a poor choice for a single off this album. It's a good song, but I think "Shoe Leather Expressway" and "I Love The Man" were far stronger tracks worthy of single release. "I Love The Man" has quite possibly the most beautiful instrumental break of any Motown song I've heard. Those strings, the French horns, the brass, the Funk Bros...it's the tops in my books.

daviddesper
11-04-2017, 12:18 AM
Loved this LP back in the day and still do. Although as you guys say, the cover was a little corny and for that reason I think the album was not well-received and maybe actually criticized. As for particular songs, for me the highlight was "I'm a Winner." I remember many years ago on here we debated whether Martha's version beat out Diana's and for me it definitely does. Soul Appeal, Shoe Leather Expressway and It Ain't Like That were my other faves from the album. I actually thought Taking My Love and Leaving Me was one of the weaker cuts on the album.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-04-2017, 12:46 AM
Martha's "Sugar 'N' Spice" is one of my favorite Vandellas albums AND has always been among my all-time favorite Motown Albums. I've always liked Martha's vibrato. What I find annoying is her over-zealous use of falsetto which she started using/abusing on "Natural Resources".

For me, potential singles from "Sugar 'N' Spice" were "Shoe-Leather Expressway", "I'm A Winner", and "I Love The Man".

Martha, Lois, and Sandy look stunning on "Sugar 'N' Spice's" spice-jar cover. In Martha's bio "Dancing In The Street", she allowed that that's always been her favorite album cover, too.

Bradsupremes, I, too, have always loved the strings/French horn passage in the instrumental break on "I Love The Man". It was yet another shining example of Motown's extreme talent and class. They had the best producers and music arrangers around, and it constantly and consistently showed.

PeaceNHarmony
11-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Has anyone made an annotated list of the producers and arrangers for each song?

lakedistrictlad1
11-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Recorded during a difficult period in Reeves' life and at a time of changing musical sounds the piece still sounds completely cohesive

I've always felt the album sounded cohesive, yet some of the tracks were dusted off from the vaults as early as 1966.
Strange that with all the recorded material from 1969, the powers that be chose earlier recordings. Though it wasn't unusual practice I suppose.

bradsupremes
11-04-2017, 12:41 PM
I've always felt the album sounded cohesive, yet some of the tracks were dusted off from the vaults as early as 1966.
Strange that with all the recorded material from 1969, the powers that be chose earlier recordings. Though it wasn't unusual practice I suppose.

I always wondered who made the song selection in putting together an album. Some Motown albums like Love Child, Still Waters Run Deep, and Temptin’ Temptations are real cohesive. Then you get others where it feels like it was thrown together in an hour. Why pull out 3 year old tracks when there was freshly recorded material to use? It’s not just the Vandellas but the Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops, etc. I feel like these albums could have possibly sold better and be reflected back on in better light if there was more of a thought process in putting the albums together.