PDA

View Full Version : Jose Feliciano National Anthem Controversy in 1968 Remembered

test

marv2
11-02-2017, 06:47 PM
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2017/11/02/560948130/a-different-national-anthem-before-the-nation-was-ready-for-it

RanRan79
11-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Illustrates the cultish air around the subject of patriotism. Some folks care more about that song and flag than they do the people who actually make the country a country. So sad. But glad that Jose hasn't lost his sense of what is right, unlike Jim Brown. Thanks for posting Marv.

marv2
11-02-2017, 10:00 PM
You're welcome. I appreciate artist that stand for something!

StuBass1
11-03-2017, 01:04 AM
I was there and just walked into the field and saw Jose sitting there with his guitar from close-up...First time I can recall that the Anthem was sung at a sporting event in a non-traditional style. Fans were a bit confused, and boos could be heard throughout the stadium In fact...Marvin Gaye, who would later go on to sing the anthem in a very non-traditional way at the NBA final was among the most critical of Jose and the two engaged in a very public feud over the issue at the time. Marvin had sung the anthem in a very traditional way at an earlier game in that series...

marv2
11-03-2017, 05:28 AM
I was there and just walked into the field and saw Jose sitting there with his guitar from close-up...First time I can recall that the Anthem was sung at a sporting event in a non-traditional style. Fans were a bit confused, and boos could be heard throughout the stadium In fact...Marvin Gaye, who would later go on to sing the anthem in a very non-traditional way at the NBA final was among the most critical of Jose and the two engaged in a very public feud over the issue at the time. Marvin had sung the anthem in a very traditional way at an earlier game in that series...

It seems strange now to me that I remember all of that. We had just moved to N. Detroit and my brother and I watched the Series even before our house was unpacked.

thanxal
11-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Illustrates the cultish air around the subject of patriotism. Some folks care more about that song and flag than they do the people who actually make the country a country. So sad. But glad that Jose hasn't lost his sense of what is right, unlike Jim Brown. Thanks for posting Marv.
Right On!!!