PDA

View Full Version : Bustin' Out - Rick James

test

TomatoTom123
10-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Been jammmming to this song a lot recently so thought I'd post this video and share the awesomeness... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjlr7YmKa3c&app=desktop

Just love the intro... and that infectious chorus!!! Still don’t know what they’re bustin' out of though... lol

TomatoTom123
10-29-2017, 09:10 PM
I should say, I love the intro to this, not the performance video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r401KVxZXw&app=desktop

lockhartgary
10-29-2017, 09:15 PM
Bustin' Out...best I can tell is that he is basically saying that he is a musical non-conformist. Considering the Rick James persona, he certainly was a non-conformist, Lol!

RanRan79
10-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Among the best of Rick James. Love this song! Who would have thought Motown would churn out a Rick James?

McMotown
10-30-2017, 05:50 AM
Hi Tom, yeah love a bit of Rick James and it is 'some serious funk'.

splanky
10-30-2017, 06:56 AM
Among the best of Rick James. Love this song! Who would have thought Motown would churn out a Rick James?

Except that Motown didn't really churn out Rick James.
James Ambrose Johnson re-invented himself. He was
influenced by many that came before him and at least
one that came after him. He wasn't funking in his early
years when he was a Mynah Byrd up in Canada with
Neil Young. When he got back to Buffalo and asked his
boys what was happening music- wise they played him
P-funk. Over at Motown who ironically he had pitched
as a Mynah, Norman Whitfield had been pushing the
company to record more funk through his productions
on the Temptations. Ricky James Mathews who James
Ambrose had become began his second evolution and
Rick James was born. Bustin' Out is remembered for it's
jams but for me I especially paid attention to his ballads....Spacey Love, a tribute to Patti Labelle and
Jefferson Ball were the shit...

RanRan79
10-30-2017, 10:05 AM
jams but for me I especially paid attention to his ballads....Spacey Love, a tribute to Patti Labelle and

I'm aware of that. Perhaps my use of the word "churn" would've been better replaced with something else. My point was who foresaw the label that put out stuff like "My Cherie Amour", "Baby Love", "My Girl", "My Baby Loves Me", "Please Mr. Postman", would present the force that was Rick James? Norman Whitfield's productions were definitely funky, but there wasn't anything like Rick. Lol

TomatoTom123
11-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Bustin' Out...best I can tell is that he is basically saying that he is a musical non-conformist. Considering the Rick James persona, he certainly was a non-conformist, Lol!

Oh yea, of course, musical nonconformity!!! That makes sense. Do you know what L Seven square is though? Lol

TomatoTom123
11-01-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm aware of that. Perhaps my use of the word "churn" would've been better replaced with something else. My point was who foresaw the label that put out stuff like "My Cherie Amour", "Baby Love", "My Girl", "My Baby Loves Me", "Please Mr. Postman", would present the force that was Rick James? Norman Whitfield's productions were definitely funky, but there wasn't anything like Rick. Lol

I getcha RanRan. Rick James [[self-proclaimed king of Punk Funk) and Motown [[upbeat pop-soul crossover music) don’t seem like they could or would ever cross paths... but they did... and I’m glad of it :D

sansradio
11-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Oh yea, of course, musical nonconformity!!! That makes sense. Do you know what L Seven square is though? Lol

If you put an L and a 7 together, they make a [[rough) square. “Square” was a slang term for someone or something outdated, unhip or uncool. Rick makes the gesture several times in the video.

Thanks for posting this, BTW, Tom; “Bustin’ Out” was one of the first “grown-up” 45s I ever bought!

TomatoTom123
11-01-2017, 08:31 PM
If you put an L and a 7 together, they make a [[rough) square. “Square” was a slang term for someone or something outdated, unhip or uncool. Rick makes the gesture several times in the video.

Thanks for posting this, BTW, Tom; “Bustin’ Out” was one of the first “grown-up” 45s I ever bought!

Oh wow, thanks sans, I never even thought of putting the L and 7 together. Is that what Rick is doing? Ahhhhhh

I got the “square” bit though, honest :p

And you’re welcome... a great first single sans!!!!

TomatoTom123
11-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Hey RanRan, Rick certainly was unique, but I wonder what you make of this risqué P-Funk-ish number courtesy of Norman Whitfield and The Undisputed Truth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSiIm5f7uw&app=desktop

marv2
11-04-2017, 09:53 PM
This was the second Rick James album I bought. I think the single was released in the Fall of '78 with the album following close behind after the new year.

marv2
11-04-2017, 10:00 PM

Great, concise synopsis Splanky. Thank you. Did you know "Rick James" also spent time as a Motown staff writer back around 1967?

marv2
11-04-2017, 10:01 PM

At the time and for us it meant people that didn't get high.

marv2
11-04-2017, 10:03 PM

"Bustin' Out" was good, but not nearly as good as his debut single "You and I" from his first album "Come and Get It" in 1978.

TomatoTom123
11-05-2017, 08:30 PM
"Bustin' Out" was good, but not nearly as good as his debut single "You and I" from his first album "Come and Get It" in 1978.

Lol, says you Marv! I do like "You And I" but I think I prefer the non-stop funkathon that is "Bustin' Out"... mmm!!

marv2
11-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Lol, says you Marv! I do like "You And I" but I think I prefer the non-stop funkathon that is "Bustin' Out"... mmm!!

No says everybody that partied with me that summer I graduated high school! LOL! "You and I" went to #13 on the Billboard Pop Charts. "Bustin' Out" only made it to #71. "You and I" was also a number 1 Billboard R&B Hit!

TomatoTom123
11-05-2017, 08:43 PM
No says everybody that partied with me that summer I graduated high school! LOL! "You and I" went to #13 on the Billboard Pop Charts. "Bustin' Out" only made it to #71. "You and I" was also a number 1 Billboard R&B Hit!

Ah OK, fine, you got me Marv... it was the lesser hit

I swear down though, I just relistened to both songs and "Bustin' Out" is still tops for me

Of course this is just all opinion :p

marv2
11-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Ah OK, fine, you got me Marv... it was the lesser hit

I swear down though, I just relistened to both songs and "Bustin' Out" is still tops for me

Of course this is just all opinion :p

They are both good records it's just that "You and I" is a better record! LOL!

TomatoTom123
11-05-2017, 08:58 PM
They are both good records it's just that "You and I" is a better record! LOL!

Wowwww, ok Marv, you win, LOL

marv2
11-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Wowwww, ok Marv, you win, LOL

I'm just sayin'. I remember mine and the publics reaction to both records during their time of their original releases. "You and I" received a huge amount of play on radio and at parties in 1978. The follow up "Mary Jane" was also popular. "Bustin' Out" was fun, good, but musically not as impressive as the former two recordings.