PDA

View Full Version : How did A Go Go Expanded Edition do sales-wise?

test

thanxal
10-28-2017, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know or has anyone heard about sales of the expanded edition of A Go Go?

I would be surprised to learn actual numbers, but did it perform better than or worse than expectations? I hope it blew away expectations so we get Holland-Dozier-Holland sooner rather than later.

daviddh
10-28-2017, 12:18 PM
universal never seems to talk numbers but it seems it did well as Sing HDH is in the wings and plans are for 2018 , Ross 78 expanded for the 40th anniversary and Reflections for the 50th anniversary.
so I suppose it generated enough juice for things to continue. good question, I would like to know the answer as well. but the original album sold over 3 million copies.

copley
10-28-2017, 04:55 PM
A few thousand if that. I kept watching it's sales position on Amazon UK & US. It's now for sale in FOPP for £8!

George Solomon
10-28-2017, 06:15 PM
A few thousand if that. I kept watching it's sales position on Amazon UK & US. It's now for sale in FOPP for £8!
I never hear exact figures but I heard it was almost out of stock ... which we are happy about but hope that Universal would print more so we don't have another case of everyone trying to get WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO or THIS IS THE STORY - THE 70'S ALBUMS and finding that they have to pay hundreds of dollars for them...

jobeterob
10-28-2017, 07:49 PM
Nice to hear of late career success

thanxal
10-28-2017, 08:26 PM
I never hear exact figures but I heard it was almost out of stock ... which we are happy about but hope that Universal would print more so we don't have another case of everyone trying to get WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO or THIS IS THE STORY - THE 70'S ALBUMS and finding that they have to pay hundreds of dollars for them...
Thanks George. I bought two copies just for that reason.

TomatoTom123
10-28-2017, 08:42 PM

£8!? Hey copley, what or where is FOPP? I need to get myself there quick, lol

copley
10-29-2017, 07:17 AM
Are you in the UK? If so here is where you can find them.

http://www.fopp.com/stores/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fopp_[[retailer)

Circa 1824
10-29-2017, 08:55 AM
I bought my copy of go go more to support the release of future DR releases, especially the Love Child album.

daviddh
10-29-2017, 11:38 AM
can we get Sing HDH now

johnjeb
10-29-2017, 01:00 PM

I think the WDOLG album should NEVER be out of print, both CD and vinyl. It ranked very high in two recent top album picks for the 1960s. At the moment I forget the specifics but I was thrilled that it was favorably rated in those opinion pieces.

The Beatles US albums, mono and stereo, were released as single CDs and as a multi-CD set. I was hoping that once remastered Supremes Expanded Editions or other releases sold out that we would see something similar for them.

I don't think a multi-CD set would be warranted or profitable but single CDs to include the mono and stereo albums should be available. Since the albums have already been remastered the hard work is done. I don't think it would be necessary to include the second disc or the detailed booklet and most people may not want that anyway. Those extras could be available as downloads.

Even The Supremes 70s packages, as well as many other Hip-O and Universal out-of-print and hard-to-find releases, could be pared down to just the discs with a smaller booklet.

smallworld
10-30-2017, 12:47 PM
I read somewhere that box sets often do better than individual 1CD or 2CD releases for "classic" artists. It makes sense when you consider that fans usually already own the material on these reissues so the packaging can be the clincher for whether or not they buy the Nth re-release. A box obviously gives more scope for "goodies" - posters, postcards, reproduced large size tour brochure etc.

sup_fan
10-30-2017, 02:19 PM
WDOLG is available in iTunes. It's just the basic lp but for 99% of the music-buying population that's more than sufficient. It's just us goofy fans that demand every track available from the vault 😉 Hehe

I do wish I could get a digital copy of the books from the 70salbums. For the other cd releases I've easily scanned in the notes and books. But for the big sets it's a challenge. Same with the 50th anniv singles sets

thanxal
10-30-2017, 04:33 PM
I would love to have new vinyl releases of both WDOLG and A Go Go. I'm surprised Universal hasn't jumped on that bandwagon for these expanded editions [[or at least reissuing the original stereo lp tracks).