PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - "If I Were A Bell"

test

mysterysinger
10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Well surely not your typical Motown Sound but this is a wonderful performance by Smokey & The Miracles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1wO3CjGcsE

RanRan79
10-21-2017, 06:39 PM
I love it!!

marv2
10-21-2017, 08:07 PM
They sound great. They all sound so very young. This was the type of music the Four Tops were recording before coming to Motown. Great recording.

thommg
10-21-2017, 09:17 PM
So, they obviously recorded some show tunes early on. This is a song from the musical Guys & Dolls. They sound really good on this.

reese
10-21-2017, 11:18 PM
So, they obviously recorded some show tunes early on. This is a song from the musical Guys & Dolls. They sound really good on this.

In an interview, I think Claudette said this was from an album to be called THE MIRACLES SING MODERN, but it was never released.

Motown Eddie
10-22-2017, 06:21 AM
Good one. I usually don't like when Rock & Soul groups do standards but The Miracles' version of "If I Were A Bell" is fun to listen to [[and their version of "Easy Street" is equally good).

kenneth
10-22-2017, 10:36 AM
I like it a lot. It reminds me of an arrangement as the 4 Aces or Hi-Los or one of those types of groups would have had. I think Claudette's voice added so much to their early tunes but I don't think she ever got the credit she deserved. Having her in the group really made their choices of songs and arrangements much more versatile than it would have without her.

Fun video too...especially the "bong" at the end...!

TheMotownManiac
10-23-2017, 02:04 PM
This is one of my faves from the great Guys And Dolls score. Love this