PDA

View Full Version : Choker Campbell & Orchestra pre-Motown

test

woodward
10-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know any details of the May 1958 release entitled Walk Awhile b/w Walking On My Thin Sole Shoes by Choker Campbell & Orchestra? It was released on the Everlast label [[famous for Charts) out of the Bronx, NY.
It's a long way from the Bronx to Detroit. The record number was Everlast 5007.
I also saw where in 1953 and 1954 he had two singles on the Atlantic Record label prior to the 1958 Everlast release. Incidentally the Everlast recording was subsequently rereleased on the APT label. His next recording was in 1964 on the Motown label.

robb_k
10-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know any details of the May 1958 release entitled Walk Awhile b/w Walking On My Thin Sole Shoes by Choker Campbell & Orchestra? It was released on the Everlast label [[famous for Charts) out of the Bronx, NY.
It's a long way from the Bronx to Detroit. The record number was Everlast 5007.
I also saw where in 1953 and 1954 he had two singles on the Atlantic Record label prior to the 1958 Everlast release. Incidentally the Everlast recording was subsequently rereleased on the APT label. His next recording was in 1964 on the Motown label.
A LOT of Detroit recordings were released on New York labels from the 1940s through the 1970s. Many of Harry Balk's productions were released on New York labels, including Big Top, Jubilee, and Old Town. He even headquartered two of his own labels [[Twirl & Storm Records) in New York, and took his Detroit artists there to record. Robert West had a pressing and distribution deal with New York's Atlantic Records, and also United Artists Records to release his productions [[Falcons and others) at times. Ollie McLaughlin had his Detroit labels distributed by Atlantic, and had his Barbara Lewis and Deon Jackson productions released by that label. Wilbur Golden's Correc-Tone Records had a pressing and distribution deal with New York's Atlantic, and Brent/Time Records. Choker Campbell's own Tri-City Records was distributed by New York's Kapp Records, and several of his Tri-City productions were released on Kapp, Jack Ashford had many of his Pied Piper Productions released on New York's RCA and Kapp. Many early '50s Detroit productions were released on New York labels: The Serenaders on Red Robin, Royal Jesters on ATCO, The Pearls/ Five Pearls were a Detroit group, who went to New York to record. The Five Jets also recorded some in New York. Devora and Jack Brown had some of their Fortune productions released on United Artists [[Nathaniel Mayer & Fabulous Twilights), and
Mercer Ellington's Barons on Coral. Robert Bateman had his Fred Bridges Detroit production released on a small New York label, and his Mary Wells Detroit productions released on 20th Century Fox Records through their New York Office. Even Ed Wingate took Detroit artists to New York to record them, and he released some Detroit productions on New York's Wand and Columbia and Date Records. The list could go on and on.

marv2
11-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Robb, you are a truly a wealth of knowledge. Thank you!