View Full Version : Stoned Groove

test

luckyluckyme
10-13-2017, 12:28 PM
http://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/supremes

mowest
10-13-2017, 12:41 PM
http://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/supremes

Thanks, luckyluckyme, for posting this excellent blog! Great to read about the origins of one the Supremes’ best.

marv2
10-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Yes, thank you luckyluckyme. That was an interesting read. I was happy to see it mentioned my friend "Frantic" Ernie Durham.

Motown Eddie
10-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks for sharing Luckyluckyme! Great reading the back story about The Supremes classic, "Stoned Love".

waynesville
10-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Thanks for posting this. I knew the outline but the detailed history I didn't know.
What on earth was Berry Gordy thinking of though? To me Stoned Love isn't just the greatest Supremes song - it really is one of the culminating anthems of soul.

marv2
10-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks for posting this. I knew the outline but the detailed history I didn't know.
What on earth was Berry Gordy thinking of though? To me Stoned Love isn't just the greatest Supremes song - it really is one of the culminating anthems of soul.

Totally agree with one of the culminating anthems of Soul! Berry proved that not even he was infallible! LOL

marv2
10-26-2017, 06:32 PM
Just think. One of the greatest songs to come from Motown was written by teenager, in his bedroom in Pontiac, Michigan! I am still in awe of that fact.

sup_fan
10-26-2017, 11:11 PM
Great to read more of the background of this amazing track. I too wonder what on earth berry had against this song. Other than it's a "message" song which I think he generally thought was not commercial

I do question the accuracy of the story regarding NWBLS not being able to be called Stoned Love. I agree the album SHOULD have been called SL but looking at timelines both the lp and the single were released at nearly the same time. The controversy regarding the single came about after it was released. Therefore the album was always to be called NWBLS. But ST would have been a better title

marv2
11-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Great to read more of the background of this amazing track. I too wonder what on earth berry had against this song. Other than it's a "message" song which I think he generally thought was not commercial

I do question the accuracy of the story regarding NWBLS not being able to be called Stoned Love. I agree the album SHOULD have been called SL but looking at timelines both the lp and the single were released at nearly the same time. The controversy regarding the single came about after it was released. Therefore the album was always to be called NWBLS. But ST would have been a better title

I could not understand Mr. Gordy's thought process either when he made it known that he disliked the song or rather hated it. It had all the elements of a great Pop song. I also question the perception some had that it was about drugs or drug use. All anyone had to do was listen to the lyrics of the song to know it was about World peace, love and harmony. I think politics had more to do with some of the resistance to what went on to become a huge seller for the Supremes.