PDA

View Full Version : Chris Clark Yesterme yesteryou yesterday

test

honest man
10-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Never knew she RECORDED this song before Stevie i have CC Anthology for years and only took notice today ,I don't know if i like it yet,being brought up with one of Stevie's best ever songs CC pales a lot. May grow on me[doubt it]what do you think ,cheers.

lockhartgary
10-13-2017, 04:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykm3JZpiS08

I like it but Stevie's version is what I'm used to hearing and it will be hard to top his version.

MelodyMan
10-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Well I think Chris had so many great songs and many are underrated. And I'm more a Chris-fan than a Stevie-fan. But "Yester-Me..." was totally a song for Stevie, not for Chris. Or it just burned into our brains that it is HIS song because we haven't heard Chris' version at those days. For me it's no problem, I'm happy to listen to "Yester-Me..." by Chris too. Many greetings

BigAl
10-13-2017, 05:23 PM
I hadn't noticed that her recording predated Stevie's. I agree that his is probably better but Chris does a very adequate job with it.

Slightly off-topic, I often shop at a local organic grocery and they must subscribe to an oldies music service because there's always '60s stuff floating around, always heavy on the very familiar Motown and Brill stuff. The other day, though, I was surprised while in there to hear Chris singing "Don't Be too Long." It was the last place I would have expected to hear something as esoteric as that!

honest man
10-14-2017, 05:24 AM
You know im really starting to like CC version,i thought it was a cover and was not impressed with it,but now i know it was an original version i hear differently,Love it perfect 60s Motown sound, Although I want to go back there will always be my fave CC Song,i have seen her live a few times at Northern Soul weekenders and she still sounds -looks great,cheers.

mysterysinger
10-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Stevie's version is slick and he handles the vocals superbly. This is more like a demo and not in a comfortable key for Chris - her vocal is telling. Nevertheless I do like it. Scores Chris 4 Stevie 10.

bradsupremes
10-15-2017, 03:02 PM
If I’m not mistaken, according to The Complete Motown Singles there is a version originally done by Barbara McNair using the same track Stevie used.

blkfrost
10-17-2017, 06:25 PM
I like Chris Clark's version. I am used to Stevie Wonder's, but I like this. By the way, my favorite songs by her are "Mr. Maestro Play A Blue Sonata", "I Just Can't Forget Him", "Can I See You In The Morning", and "Whisper You Love Me Boy".

mysterysinger
10-18-2017, 07:40 AM
I really like Chris's version of "How About You".

144man
10-18-2017, 03:27 PM
One of her finest moments is "If You Should Walk Away".