PDA

View Full Version : Susaye Greene,has replaced Lynda Laurence,with Former Ladies of The Supremes,

test

REDHOT
10-06-2017, 04:09 AM
Susaye Greene,is Lynda Laurence replacement,with Former Ladies Of The Supremes,the new billing is, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene Former Ladies Of The Supremes with Joyce Vincent, they have new photo's,the new photo's are on their Facebook page,i just don't know how to put the new photo's here,sorry lol, let me tell you,they look great,,i knew this change,was coming,for a long time,and believe me,there was no problem,Lynda just wanted to do,something different. Susaye Greene is a great Replacement,i can't wait,to see the new line up,i hope someone post,the new photo's here. p.s also check out they're new website scherrieandsusayeformersupremes.com

milven
10-06-2017, 08:20 AM
I saw a video interview with Susaye, Sherrie and Joyce the other day and thought that seeing them together without Lynda was odd, but I do not recall them ever saying that that was the new line-up.

Thanks for the info

milven
10-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Letter just posted by Sherrie saying that Lynda is leaving and Susaye is replacing:

Dear Friends,

Ever since "The Former Ladies Of The Supremes" [[F.L.O.S) was formed by Ronnie Phillips and Superstar International Records back in 1986, it's been a whirlwind trip for me... As most of you know, initially, the group consisted of Jean Terrell, Cindy Birdsong and me... Cindy only stayed with us for a short time and then, for a second time, as with The Supremes, Lynda Laurence stepped in and took her place. For the next seven years, Jean, Lynda and I traveled and entertained audiences all over the world. It was a fabulous time in our lives!.. Then, Jean decided that she wanted to do other things and made her departure...

The group went through several metamorphoses after that, including a name change to "Scherrie and Lynda, formerly of The Supremes." Lynda's sister, Sundray Tucker, Freddie Poole, and then, Joyce Vincent, former member of Tony Orlando and Dawn; all of these talented women helped Lynda and me maintain the sound and image of the group with sophistication, style and grace.

Last April of 2016, we celebrated our 30th year anniversary at The Catalina Jazz Club in Hollywood. It was packed! I still can't believe it! Lynda and I were so proud and in awe that night. It's been over thirty years of hard work and dedication. Lynda and I had become more than just singing partners, we fast became friends and then, like sisters. We've been through a lot together; highs and lows, good and bad, but it only made us more resilient, stronger in this business of "show." We're survivors and proud of it...

I want to thank all of you fans and friends who have supported us over the years. It's so appreciated and has never been forgotten. We couldn't have done it without you. We've had such a momentous time. But, all good things must come to an end. It's on that note that I sadly announce the departure of my dear friend, singing partner and sister, Lynda Laurence. Yes, Lynda has decided that it's time for her to put aside her Supreme gowns and pursue a different avenue. I wish her all the best for whatever she chooses now to do, and I know it will be a huge success! That's just how Lynda is, always putting one-hundred percent and her heart into everything she does... I'm going to miss her a lot; her talent, input, laughter and advice... It's been one fabulous journey!!!

And so, on another note, I'm happy to announce the entrance of the multi-talented Ms. Susaye Greene! The group will now be known as, "Scherrie and Susaye, Formerly of The Supremes." Of course, Joyce Vincent will be featured with us. It's amazing that back in 1978 when Susaye and I were auditioning for a third Supreme after Mary Wilson went solo, Joyce was our pick. She was pretty and could sing like an angel. But, unfortunately, Motown decided to retire the name since no original member was in the group. All these years later, as fate would have it, the three of us are back together again, united as one... Ironic, but wonderful!

We're looking forward to many more concerts and club dates in the near future. Eric Iversen, David Kramlick and Steve Weaver have been vitally instrumental in the change and we couldn't have done it without them. They've been the gems in our lives and, for that, I'm extremely grateful! It's been fantastic! Thank you, guys!!

And so, Susaye, Joyce and I, will do our best and continue to keep the Supreme legacy alive. We will keep the music playing! God is good...

Blessings to you all,

Scherrie Payne
Formerly of The Supremes

milven
10-06-2017, 08:48 AM

milven
10-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Here is a link to their new site

http://www.scherrieandsusayeformersupremes.com/

milven
10-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Sherrie,Susaye and Joyce.
This was supposed to be the next lineup of the Supremes after Mary left the group if the group were allowed to continue. It took forty years for the grouping to finally happen.

lakeside
10-06-2017, 09:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVMoFmXh0Xk

Roberta75
10-06-2017, 09:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVMoFmXh0Xk

Thats a real nice video I hope they tour the States with the new grouping.

thanks for sharing.

Roberta

captainjames
10-06-2017, 10:38 AM
WOW how ironic ......."Together At Last "
Now maybe we will get "High Energy" included in their act.

thanxal
10-06-2017, 10:57 AM
This is fantastic news. So glad to read about it. All the best wishes to the the group.

144man
10-06-2017, 11:38 AM
It would be wonderful if Susaye were able to find the time to start posting here again and update us on what was happening.

danman869
10-06-2017, 12:26 PM
I wish Lynda the best in whatever she chooses to do. That said, I am so happy for Susaye that she’s going on a new “Supreme Adventure” with the Ladies! She’s a funny, sweet woman who deserves some more recognition. I think her addition to the group with inject some new energy and if they come to L.A. to perform, I need to make plans to see them!

Something amusing I noticed while watching their new promo video. Scherrie and Susaye are [[“still”) tiny and Joyce is the tallest [[no longer Lynda). So... Scherrie and Susaye are once again performing “with a lady named Wilson” who is taller than them! What’s old is new again?!

Best of luck to the FLOS!

jim aka jtigre99
10-06-2017, 12:29 PM
I certainly wish Lynda Laurence the best in whatever her new endeavors will be. Lynda was in the Supremes from 1972-73 and in this former Supremes grouping for 30 years. Susaye will be an excellent replacement as she actually worked with Scherrie as a Supreme in its last incarnation and together as a duo. It is wonderful that they are still sounding great and still singing, just as it is wonderful that original members Diana Ross and Mary Wilson both still sound great and sing and perform. Best of luck to this new grouping and to Lynda on her future endeavors.

thanxal
10-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Something amusing I noticed while watching their new promo video. Scherrie and Susaye are [[“still”) tiny and Joyce is the tallest [[no longer Lynda). So... Scherrie and Susaye are once again performing “with a lady named Wilson” who is taller than them! What’s old is new again?!

Best of luck to the FLOS!
Oh now THAT'S FUNNY!!!!

longtimefan
10-06-2017, 01:15 PM
I certainly wish Lynda Laurence the best in whatever her new endeavors will be. Lynda was in the Supremes from 1972-73 and in this former Supremes grouping for 30 years. Susaye will be an excellent replacement as she actually worked with Scherrie as a Supreme in its last incarnation and together as a duo. It is wonderful that they are still sounding great and still singing, just as it is wonderful that original members Diana Ross and Mary Wilson both still sound great and sing and perform. Best of luck to this new grouping and to Lynda on her future endeavors.

This post is perfectly stated. I could not say it any better!!! Positive vibes go out to all of these hard-working, professional ladies who still bring joy to fans!!!

REDHOT
10-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Positive vibe's here,let's keep them coming,i feel good things,are coming for Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene Former Ladies Of The Supremes With Joyce Vincent,i hope they put He Ain't Heavy,Hes My Brother into they're show,it's a show stopper.

milven
10-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Sherrie, Susaye & Joyce could have been and should have been the next incarnation of the Supremes after Mary left. The album "Partners" has all three ladies voices on the it. If the group were to continue, this may have well been their next release under the Supremes name, probably with a different title.

From Wikopedia:
Partners is a 1979 album recorded by Scherrie & Susaye for Motown Records. Following the demise of The Supremes in 1977, former group members Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene recorded this album together on the Motown label. Both singers share songwriting duties as well as receiving associate producer credit for the album....Joyce Vincent Wilson, a candidate to replace original Supreme Mary Wilson when Payne and Greene were considering continuing with the Supremes name, is heavily featured on background vocals.

luke
10-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Maybe a certain someone could join them on occasion!

lakeside
10-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Maybe a certain someone could join them on occasion!

https://soulfuldetroit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13536&d=1507328361

luke
10-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Mmmhmmmmmmm

marv2
10-06-2017, 07:42 PM
So Lynda has finally thrown in the towel? Whatever happened to her sister Sunday?

marv2
10-06-2017, 07:43 PM

My ladies!!!!!!!

thanxal
10-06-2017, 07:46 PM
When was this taken? What a nice photo.

dickiemint
10-06-2017, 08:05 PM
These ladies have worked hard for the past 30 or so years to keep the Supremes Legacy alive yes members have changed but I have seen every incarnation so far [[ not Cindy tho) even there at the anniversary show where susaye got up and sang with Lynda Sherrie and Joyce, they have always been a good show and I hope that this new line up comes to the UK soon

bradsupremes
10-06-2017, 09:16 PM
When was this taken? What a nice photo.

It was taken over the weekend at the HAL Awards [[Heroes And Legends) which is a scholarship dinner started by Janie Bradford. I've been to two of them and they're a blast. A lot of who's who of Motown is there including Berry Gordy. In fact, I sat next to Scherrie Payne at the last one I attended a few years ago. Tickets are pricey, but it goes toward a good cause and totally worth it.

lakeside
10-06-2017, 09:26 PM
So Lynda has finally thrown in the towel? Whatever happened to her sister Sunday?
http://www.drivingwheel.co.uk/

Sundray Tucker....also known as Cindy Scott in the UK.

marv2
10-06-2017, 09:31 PM
http://www.drivingwheel.co.uk/

Sundray Tucker....also known as Cindy Scott in the UK.

Thank you Lakeside.

detmotownguy
10-06-2017, 11:01 PM
Maybe a certain someone could join them on occasion!. Please please please! My fav grouping.

marv2
10-07-2017, 08:42 AM
. Please please please! My fav grouping.

They were the strongest grouping vocally and the one I probably listened to the most over the years.

kenneth
10-07-2017, 10:11 AM
I didn't know the FLOs played at the Catalina Jazz Club. That's such a fun venue with great ambience and sound. I've always had a great time when I've been there. Wish I had caught them. I'll be sure to next time now that Susaye has joined them. IMHO, Susaye elevates any group with her fantastic voice and talent.

detmotownguy
10-07-2017, 10:47 AM
They were the strongest grouping vocally and the one I probably listened to the most over the years.
Hey Marv! Ladies look great!

marv2
10-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Hey Marv! Ladies look great!

Especially when you consider that they last performed together 40 years ago this year!

detmotownguy
10-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Especially when you consider that they last performed together 40 years ago this year! I know Scherrie and Mary have sung together, how abt Susaye? And thks to the original poster of this pic! Made my day.

TheMotownManiac
10-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Positive vibe's here,let's keep them coming,i feel good things,are coming for Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene Former Ladies Of The Supremes With Joyce Vincent,i hope they put He Ain't Heavy,Hes My Brother into they're show,it's a show stopper.

they rehearsed it yesterday - it will be in some shows for sure and I bet they’d add it if requested before hand at any gig.... it certainly IS a showstopper

gordy_hunk
10-07-2017, 07:38 PM

I don't wish to be rude, but I don't know which one is Susaye, Lynda or Scherrie. Is someone willing to tell me [[left to right) who each of the three people are please?

lakeside
10-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Left to right....Scherrie, Mary and Susaye.

TomatoTom123
10-07-2017, 07:53 PM
I don't wish to be rude, but I don't know which one is Susaye, Lynda or Scherrie. Is someone willing to tell me [[left to right) who each of the three people are please?

Hey gordy, I’m pretty sure the ladies in that photo are, from left to right, Scherrie Payne, Mary Wilson and Susaye Greene. Lynda is not there :)

milven
10-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Yep, Scherrie, Mary and Susaye - the last official grouping of Supremes. Nice picture.

marv2
10-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Now they can perform a more accurate version of "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" than before. It would also be a good idea if they would insert more mature songs that show off their abilities than relying too heavily on the old Original Supremes songs. Mix it up ladies!

kenneth
10-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Now they can perform a more accurate version of "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" than before. It would also be a good idea if they would insert more mature songs that show off their abilities than relying too heavily on the old Original Supremes songs. Mix it up ladies!

That's an interesting comment. Having seen Mary Wilson in person [[solo), I never felt that she could really put over the Diane-led Supremes songs. Their voices are just too different, and as much as I like Mary's voice on ballads and "slow jams," I just don't think her voice is strong enough for material like "Stop! in the Name of Love" and "You Can't Hurry Love," for example, though I think she could do songs like "My World is Empty Without You" and "Love is Here and Now You're Gone" quite well [[though I've never heard her perform those).

Scherrie, on the other hand, has a strong and [[to me) Broadway-type voice, and is a bit more evocative of Ross than Wilson is, and I think she would be more suited to the Supremes material.

I'm interested in your opinion, Marv. What say you?

marv2
10-07-2017, 11:29 PM
That's an interesting comment. Having seen Mary Wilson in person [[solo), I never felt that she could really put over the Diane-led Supremes songs. Their voices are just too different, and as much as I like Mary's voice on ballads and "slow jams," I just don't think her voice is strong enough for material like "Stop! in the Name of Love" and "You Can't Hurry Love," for example, though I think she could do songs like "My World is Empty Without You" and "Love is Here and Now You're Gone" quite well [[though I've never heard her perform those).

Scherrie, on the other hand, has a strong and [[to me) Broadway-type voice, and is a bit more evocative of Ross than Wilson is, and I think she would be more suited to the Supremes material.

I'm interested in your opinion, Marv. What say you?

I believe the opposite. Mary Wilson's voice may be too strong, too substantial to sing those light, little teeny bopper songs now. Scherrie's voice was much too strong and expressive for them as well. Those songs don't even sound right coming out of the mouth of a 73 year old Diana Ross. These are grown, very mature women and it just does not sound right singing about "the Boy I love....." or "Baby Love" yada,yada, yada. Some songs of the Supremes go over very well like when Mary performs "My World Is Empty Without You" I don't want to hear that song sung by anyone else on Earth but her now! She kills with "Stoned Love" where Scherrie demolishes the song to the point it is unrecognizable.

My point is they all would serve themselves and their respective audiences well to add in more mature songs, ballads, Jazz numbers along with the "appropriate" Supremes hits and they will come out winners every time.

Mary has been smart enough to use "Stop In the Name of Love" and "Baby Love" as her audience participation numbers and not take those songs too seriously in her act. She was also smart to develop a totally separate show and set list for her Up Close Jazz concerts. No one can beat her on numbers like the Nora Jones cover "Don't Know Why" or "Body and Soul". She knows her audiences also want to hear Supremes songs from a Supreme. She could do "Symphony", "Come See About Me", "Floy Joy" and others. I would love to have her do "You Are the Heart of Me" even just once in concert.

kenneth
10-07-2017, 11:32 PM
@Marv2, I agree with you that the way Ross' voice has also changed and deepened make it difficult to hear her sing those early songs and put them over the way she could in the past. Maybe saying Mary's voice was "not strong enough" was inaccurate. Rather, I think as Mary's voice has matured as well, it has gotten stronger, but not suited to that material either.

Thanks for your point of view.

marv2
10-07-2017, 11:39 PM
One other thing. The musicians they use are NOT the Funk Brothers which makes a huge difference in the overall sound of the live performance. In the case of Mary, sometimes she has musicians that are spot on and can come close to reproducing the "Motown Sound". Other times the musicians just can't get it right. I heard this with Diana Ross' musicians as well when she performs songs like "Stop In the Name of Love" they are awful and whoever decided to included that annoying piano in her live version of "My World Is Empty" needs to be taken out an shot.....pronto! LOL! They make it so that she does not know when to end the song!

marv2
10-07-2017, 11:43 PM
@Marv2, I agree with you that the way Ross' voice has also changed and deepened make it difficult to hear her sing those early songs and put them over the way she could in the past. Maybe saying Mary's voice was "not strong enough" was inaccurate. Rather, I think as Mary's voice has matured as well, it has gotten stronger, but not suited to that material either.

Right! See back when Mary use to sing all light and fluffy or is that breathlessly? LOL! You know like she did on numbers like "Floy Joy", that sound would have worked easily on all those old Supremes songs. She still can handle a song like "You Can't Hurry Love" very well. I don't think any of them ever sounds that great doing "Back In My Arms Again" because for some reason the musicians can never get the right sound or tempo as in the original recorded version. It is usually played too fast and not enough rhythm live and in concert. They do the same thing with "Come See About Me"....too fast.

kenneth
10-07-2017, 11:45 PM
I really wish Mary would do an album of standards, like an homage to Ella, Sarah Vaughn, Rosemary Clooney. I'd love to hear the same from Susaye.

marv2
10-07-2017, 11:51 PM

You are most welcome. Just thinking, they all should keep "Reflections" in their set lists for obvious reason and because it is ageless.

marv2
10-07-2017, 11:54 PM
I really wish Mary would do an album of standards, like an homage to Ella, Sarah Vaughn, Rosemary Clooney. I'd love to hear the same from Susaye.

Did you ever hear her live Jazz CD/DVD? Excellent and a standards album would be perfect for her. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf6oXwjbOaU

marv2
10-08-2017, 12:01 AM

I saw in that promo clip Susaye doing "High Energy" which tells me they are ready to move in the right direction and they are not kidding around. Scherrie and Susaye are vocal stylists of the highest order and can still bring it. I would hope that they would leave most of the leads of the Old Supremes material to Joyce Vincent because I believe her voice sounds best on them out of the three.

detmotownguy
10-08-2017, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=marv2;418133]I saw in that promo clip Susaye doing "High Energy" which tells me they are ready to move in the right direction and they are not kidding around. Scherrie and Susaye are vocal stylists of the highest order and can still bring it. I would hope that they would leave most of the leads of the Old Supremes material to Joyce Vincent because I believe her voice sounds best on them out of the three.[/QUOTE. Too bad this grouping is starting at such a late time in their careers. Much potential, but they need high quality top promotional people.

kenneth
10-08-2017, 12:27 AM
Too bad this grouping is starting at such a late time in their careers. Much potential, but they need high quality top promotional people.

I guess the US has gotten more like the way Europe was for years - that even performers who don't have recording contracts can still perform for a living for years beyond their most "commercial" periods. I mean in the past, this was more common in Europe. So many American artists emigrated there. Didn't Edwin Starr and Jimmy Ruffin both live in the UK or Europe? And many others kept their careers going by touring over there, I think.

Of course it's good these ladies can still sing the way they do and hopefully they love live performing as much as they seem to. But I'm so much more used to recorded rather than live music that I just always want an album that seems more permanent.

detmotownguy
10-08-2017, 12:40 AM
Did you ever hear her live Jazz CD/DVD? Excellent and a standards album would be perfect for her. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf6oXwjbOaU
Constitution Hall? For anyone that thinks Mary can’t sing Love Child check out her Constituition Hall performance of Love Child. Strong voice.

marv2
10-08-2017, 12:43 AM
Constitution Hall? For anyone that thinks Mary can’t sing Love Child check out her Constituition Hall performance of Love Child. Strong voice.

Mary can sing just about anything........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASNG2ROISZs

Guy
10-08-2017, 03:09 AM
I saw in that promo clip Susaye doing "High Energy" which tells me they are ready to move in the right direction and they are not kidding around. Scherrie and Susaye are vocal stylists of the highest order and can still bring it. I would hope that they would leave most of the leads of the Old Supremes material to Joyce Vincent because I believe her voice sounds best on them out of the three.

Performing together a few years ago in L.A. Scherrie and Susaye were dynamite! Both are in great vocal condition. Joyce was on background at that show. This new trio, with a tightly rehearsed show, should be fantastic.

daviddh
10-08-2017, 09:22 AM
with regards to Flos. I am surprised that Susaye wasn't back in the group sooner. I never knew who Freddie Poole was, no disrespect intended but it just seemed like a natural thing to bring Cindy B back or Susaye.
but I also thought it was strange Mary didn't invite Florence back into the group.
welcome back Susaye.nice to see you

blackguy69
10-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Not to rehash another old topic, but I think even if Mary had invited Flo back, Motown would have said hell no.
Back to topic, I would love to see them do He Aint Heavy. I always thought Susaye dis a great job with that song

marv2
10-08-2017, 03:51 PM
I guess the US has gotten more like the way Europe was for years - that even performers who don't have recording contracts can still perform for a living for years beyond their most "commercial" periods. I mean in the past, this was more common in Europe. So many American artists emigrated there. Didn't Edwin Starr and Jimmy Ruffin both live in the UK or Europe? And many others kept their careers going by touring over there, I think.

Of course it's good these ladies can still sing the way they do and hopefully they love live performing as much as they seem to. But I'm so much more used to recorded rather than live music that I just always want an album that seems more permanent.

I know what you mean in regards to classic artists having to work in Europe and other foreign markets to make a good living. What many are overlooking is the Great White North.......Canada! It would cost them less to travel and everyone there already knows there songs.

A compromise could be made for folks that prefer recordings vs live performances, but they would have to walk that line [[no pun intended) carefully. I was thinking producing a live DVD of their full show and sell after their shows.

kenneth
10-08-2017, 10:25 PM
I know what you mean in regards to classic artists having to work in Europe and other foreign markets to make a good living. What many are overlooking is the Great White North.......Canada! It would cost them less to travel and everyone there already knows there songs.

A compromise could be made for folks that prefer recordings vs live performances, but they would have to walk that line [[no pun intended) carefully. I was thinking producing a live DVD of their full show and sell after their shows.

I thought that today the cost of self-producing a music CD was something many independent artists could do without label support. I wonder why more don't do it.

When I saw Scherrie and Susaye in their first engagement in LA a few years ago, I think one of the backup singers was selling her own CD out front. I can't remember who it was, but don't think it was Joyce Vincent. Of course Vincent is a highly regarded singer in her own right but I don't know if many people recognize her as "the quiet one" from Tony Orlando & Dawn.

@Marv2, does Mary sell her CDs at her concerts? I don't remember if she was doing that when I saw her some time ago.

sophisticated_soul
10-08-2017, 10:49 PM
Kenneth, it was Pam Vincent who had copies of her CD "Pamela Sings The Classics" available after both of Scherrie & Susaye's shows in L.A.:)

marv2
10-08-2017, 10:52 PM
I thought that today the cost of self-producing a music CD was something many independent artists could do without label support. I wonder why more don't do it.

When I saw Scherrie and Susaye in their first engagement in LA a few years ago, I think one of the backup singers was selling her own CD out front. I can't remember who it was, but don't think it was Joyce Vincent. Of course Vincent is a highly regarded singer in her own right but I don't know if many people recognize her as "the quiet one" from Tony Orlando & Dawn.

@Marv2, does Mary sell her CDs at her concerts? I don't remember if she was doing that when I saw her some time ago.

Yes, Mary does sell her CD's at her concerts. Years ago she sold her self produced "I Am Changing" CD......tons of them. They would put out stacks of them in the lobbys and during Mary's meet and greets people would scoop them up. Some would have her autograph them. About 5-6 years ago she started selling the Up Close Live Jazz CD and DVD at her shows. The person I remember selling their own self produced CD was Prince. He began selling his online. Martha Reeves for years have sold her own "Home to You" CD's at her shows. As many shows as these ladies perform each year, they sell a substantial amount that no one outside of their management can truly put a count to.

kenneth
10-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Kenneth, it was Pam Vincent who had copies of her CD "Pamela Sings The Classics" available after both of Scherrie & Susaye's shows in L.A.:)

That's right! Did you buy it?

I was trying to remember, did they have backup singers at that first concert? They must have and I guess it must have been Pam [[along with Joyce) Vincent?

Who was the other backup singer at Vitello's in addition to Joyce? Was that also Pam?

marv2
10-08-2017, 11:09 PM

I was trying to remember, did they have backup singers at that first concert? They must have and I guess it must have been Pam [[along with Joyce) Vincent?

Who was the other backup singer at Vitello's in addition to Joyce? Was that also Pam?

Don't they still work sometimes with Jim Gilstrap?

kenneth
10-08-2017, 11:16 PM
Yes, Mary does sell her CD's at her concerts. Years ago she sold her self produced "I Am Changing" CD......tons of them. They would put out stacks of them in the lobbys and during Mary's meet and greets people would scoop them up. Some would have her autograph them. About 5-6 years ago she started selling the Up Close Live Jazz CD and DVD at her shows. The person I remember selling their own self produced CD was Prince. He began selling his online. Martha Reeves for years have sold her own "Home to You" CD's at her shows. As many shows as these ladies perform each year, they sell a substantial amount that no one outside of their management can truly put a count to.

Thanks for the info. I forgot about Prince, probably the best example of someone who sold their music their own way. What a loss his death was...it's almost 2 years ago isn't it and hardly any of his music has come out and none of the rare stuff except what they put on the deluxe reissue of "Purple Rain."

sophisticated_soul
10-08-2017, 11:40 PM

Yes, I bought a copy after each of the two shows [[one was for a friend). Pam has a very nice voice as a solo artist. As I recall Pam and Joyce did the background at both shows. Now that Susaye is and official F.L.O. they can include Scherrie & Susaye material as part of the act. I hope Susaye continues to sing "Alfie".

kenneth
10-09-2017, 01:04 AM
Yes, I bought a copy after each of the two shows [[one was for a friend). Pam has a very nice voice as a solo artist. As I recall Pam and Joyce did the background at both shows. Now that Susaye is and official F.L.O. they can include Scherrie & Susaye material as part of the act. I hope Susaye continues to sing "Alfie".

As I think I posted at the time, when I heard Susaye do "Alfie," I ended up thinking, Dionne Who? Her performance of "My Funny Valentine" is also stunning.

captainjames
10-09-2017, 11:30 AM
A lot of New Birth fans will remember "Until Its Time To Go" but many have no idea that a Supreme actually lead that song. I am feeling some new things from this group. Including Scherrie's "Crumbs Off The Table" with Glasshouse and "I Found Another Love" from Partners that actually has Joyce in the background.

Thornton
10-09-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm over the moon seeing Scherrie, Susaye, and Joyce together. It's great that they're finally performing Supremes music together after 40 years. Lynda will be successful with whatever she does, and I hope this new incarnation leads to more tour dates. I had given up on ever being able to see Scherrie perform live, but now who knows?

carlo
10-09-2017, 04:42 PM
I'm also excited about this new lineup. Wishing Lynda and Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce all the best. They sound fantastic in the new video promo. Hope to see them in Canada sometime soon. I have yet to see the FLOS live in concert.

Zantellor
10-09-2017, 04:58 PM
I saw SLF twice at Sunset Juction. They were good but I was very dissappointed. The only 70s songs they sang were Stoned Love and Up The Ladder.Scherrie recorded many songs and was the original lead on them and sang none of them. Here's hoping that SSJ will include much of the material originally recorded by MSS. Hint[[Let Yourself Go. Where Do I Go From Here High Energy Sweet Dream Machine

marv2
10-09-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm also excited about this new lineup. Wishing Lynda and Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce all the best. They sound fantastic in the new video promo. Hope to see them in Canada sometime soon. I have yet to see the FLOS live in concert.

I strongly recommend that all of the classic artist, Motown and in general look to Canada for more bookings.

marv2
10-09-2017, 06:07 PM
I saw SLF twice at Sunset Juction. They were good but I was very dissappointed. The only 70s songs they sang were Stoned Love and Up The Ladder.Scherrie recorded many songs and was the original lead on them and sang none of them. Here's hoping that SSJ will include much of the material originally recorded by MSS. Hint[[Let Yourself Go. Where Do I Go From Here High Energy Sweet Dream Machine

Amen to that!

daviddh
10-09-2017, 06:19 PM
welcome back Susaye.
I also hope they include more 70s material
sweet dream machine would be nice.....gonna let my heart....

RanRan79
10-09-2017, 11:48 PM
A lot of New Birth fans will remember "Until Its Time To Go" but many have no idea that a Supreme actually lead that song.

I'm not a big fan of Susaye's voice [[nothing against it, I'm just typically not a fan of those really high pitched voices, though there are some exceptions), but to me the vocal of her life was "Until It's Time For You to Go". I love that more than anything she did as a Supreme. Easily. Hope she decides to add that to the show.

midnightman
10-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Sherrie,Susaye and Joyce.
This was supposed to be the next lineup of the Supremes after Mary left the group if the group were allowed to continue. It took forty years for the grouping to finally happen.

Oh really? Now I didn't know that...

marv2
10-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Oh really? Now I didn't know that...

Yep. I still have somewhere a photo all three posed for in early 1978. I can't remember now if it was taken before or after Motown said "no more Supremes".

midnightman
10-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Yep. I still have somewhere a photo all three posed for in early 1978. I can't remember now if it was taken before or after Motown said "no more Supremes".

I see... I guess, Motown was like "no original members, no Supremes?"

RanRan79
10-10-2017, 02:20 PM

I think so. I've heard both Mary and Diana were neg on the idea too. In the end I'm glad the group ended once Mary, a founding member, was gone, but it did kind of suck for Scherrie and Susaye not to be able to build on their short time as Supremes.

detmotownguy
10-10-2017, 02:46 PM
I think so. I've heard both Mary and Diana were neg on the idea too. In the end I'm glad the group ended once Mary, a founding member, was gone, but it did kind of suck for Scherrie and Susaye not to be able to build on their short time as Supremes.. I thought that both Mary and Diane went to Berry and said no more Sups. They must have talked abt it.

RanRan79
10-10-2017, 03:33 PM
. I thought that both Mary and Diane went to Berry and said no more Sups. They must have talked abt it.

That's what I heard. They may have spoken about it.

detmotownguy
10-11-2017, 12:47 AM

hi Zantellor, nice to see you posting. Just saying hi.

marv2
10-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Apparently, that was the case. At the time we did not know that was the decision. I remember looking forward to the "New Supremes" with Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce". It was a very confusing with so many potential Supremes. First you had the polls out in the Spring of '77 about who should replace Mary. Then you had the Farewell Show. Next up you had Mary, Cindy and Debbie going to South America. A few months later Mary was going to England with Karen Ragland and Karen Jackson. All this while the Scherrie and Susaye group was in limbo. Then I saw a picture of Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce posed in casual clothes announcing Joyce as their pick to replace Mary and then 1979 came. LOL!