Rage Against the Machine
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
The Zombies

Luciano
10-05-2017, 07:25 PM
I guess I won't complain this year so I will say if I had to pick 5 it would be these:
1) Bon Jovi
2) Depeche Mode
3) Judas Priest
4) Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan
5) LL Cool J

sansradio
10-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Wow, Chic’s not even on the ballot this year; ouch. Anyway, it’s especially gratifying to see Sister Rosetta, Nina, Rufus/Chaka and Eurythmics in the running.

Ozmo
10-05-2017, 10:10 PM
I would love to see Nina Simone inducted. While she may not have had a lot of monster hit records, she had a profound influence on our music and culture.

marv2
10-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Nina Simone definitely........

luke
10-05-2017, 11:29 PM
The only two that jump out for me are Sister Rosetta and Nina.

phil
10-06-2017, 03:41 AM
The only two that jump out for me are Sister Rosetta and Nina.

Plus MC5, The Meters and Link Wray

edafan
10-06-2017, 04:36 PM
I did vote for Nina Simone
even tough I Don't consider her a rock singer.

also Rap are not Rock And Roll

And Richard Street should be in there.

Plus they have left out many many 50's 60's artists who were Rock And Roll.

edafan

jobeterob
10-06-2017, 05:25 PM
And they'll put in Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits; they probably won't even get as far as the Moody Blues.

Doug-Morgan
10-06-2017, 05:28 PM
edafan.....

This brings up a question that comes up almost yearly, the
problem of "What Is Rock & Roll?"

That was fairly easy to define up until the early '70's when it could be said "Anything that's played on Rock & Roll radio stations", but as formats became more selective, that answer is pretty much out the window.

So, if anyone can define "Rock & Roll" as it relates to the current era....that is, going back about 20 years....I'd appreciate it if they'd take a wack at it.

luke
10-06-2017, 06:25 PM
It’s probably whoever Jan Wenner likes

TomatoTom123
10-06-2017, 07:46 PM
I was looking out for Chic and they aren’t even nominated this year.. wow, lol

I feel like this should just be called the ‘Music Hall Of Fame’ awards rather than the ‘Rock ‘N’ Roll Hall Of Fame’... the latter, to me at least, implies a specific genre of music and perhaps even time period. :)

edafan
10-07-2017, 11:11 AM
I was looking out for Chic and they aren’t even nominated this year.. wow, lol

I feel like this should just be called the ‘Music Hall Of Fame’ awards rather than the ‘Rock ‘N’ Roll Hall Of Fame’... the latter, to me at least, implies a specific genre of music and perhaps even time period. :)

yes: It seems that they minimize the era from 1950 to 1980, when most of Rock N Roll was beginning. Early rock copied a lot of the blues singer songs, like "Hound Dog"

Motown Eddie
10-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Wow, Chic’s not even on the ballot this year; ouch. Anyway, it’s especially gratifying to see Sister Rosetta, Nina, Rufus/Chaka and Eurythmics in the running.

And I doubt that we'll ever see Chic on the ballot since Nile Rodgers was inducted earlier this year [[for Musical Excellence). And we can forget about Janet Jackson, Joe Tex & The Marvelettes getting nominated again.

Anyway, my top 5 picks are-
1. Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
2. LL Cool J
3. Sister Rosetta Tharpe
4. Nina Simone
5. The Meters

marv2
10-09-2017, 10:41 AM
I did vote for Nina Simone
even tough I Don't consider her a rock singer.

also Rap are not Rock And Roll

And Richard Street should be in there.

Plus they have left out many many 50's 60's artists who were Rock And Roll.

edafan

Richard Street definitely should have been inducted. I don't believe Chubby Checker was ever inducted. He's never even been nominated.

edafan
10-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Richard Street definitely should have been inducted. I don't believe Chubby Checker was ever inducted. He's never even been nominated.

How can you have a R&R HOF without Chubby Checker

edadan

marv2
10-09-2017, 01:21 PM
How can you have a R&R HOF without Chubby Checker

edadan

You can, but it will not be perceived as totally legit!

Luciano
10-09-2017, 02:51 PM

One word: "Disgusting" that Chubby Checker is not inducted.

marv2
10-09-2017, 04:24 PM
One word: "Disgusting" that Chubby Checker is not inducted.

I mean, can you believe it? Here, check this out:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blog_files/Chubby_Checker_and_the_Rock_Hall.html

marv2
10-09-2017, 04:33 PM
I was just as shocked to learn that The Guess Who, The Marvelettes and War were not inducted.

marv2
10-09-2017, 04:34 PM
These great artists are not inducted either:

Todd Rundgren, the Stylistics, the Delfonics, the Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, Len Barry

motony
10-09-2017, 04:35 PM
I'm past being upset about the silliness of the "Rock N Roll Hall of Fame" . Unless Mary Wells, The Marvelettes, Chubby Checker, Dee Dee Sharp & the Orlons are in....its meaningless to me.

marv2
10-09-2017, 07:36 PM
I'm past being upset about the silliness of the "Rock N Roll Hall of Fame" . Unless Mary Wells, The Marvelettes, Chubby Checker, Dee Dee Sharp & the Orlons are in....its meaningless to me.

I bet if they had played guitars they would be in.........................

edafan
10-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Plus Richard Street

I agree completely

Edafan

marv2
10-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Plus Richard Street

I agree completely

Edafan

They note the snub of Richard as well as Damon Harris on the website in the link I posted above. Richard should have went in with the original group.

luke
10-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Omg! Carole King not inducted! She only plays the piano!

Luciano
10-09-2017, 09:44 PM
I mean, can you believe it? Here, check this out:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blog_files/Chubby_Checker_and_the_Rock_Hall.html

That is a great article. I really can't believe it. The man has about 15 top 20 Pop hits. Some inducted which they had that many.

Here is an article from a voter who admits system needs to be fixed. I also found this article interesting:

How to Fix the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Voting System, by a Voter
By Rob Tannenbaum

Yesterday morning at eight a.m., the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced its 2016 inductees: congratulations to Joan Baez, Electric Light Orchestra, Pearl Jam, Yes, and Tupac Shakur, who’s reading this article at a public library in South America, where he’s been living for 20 years. By 8:05 a.m., the announcement of this motley and not very inspiring list had incited the annual spree of complaints:

Who Cares?

Music Lives Inside Us, Not In a Museum.

It’s a Farce Because [Name of a Cult Band I Wildly Overrate] Hasn’t Been Inducted Yet.

Why Are Disco and Rap in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? It’s Not Called the Disco and Rap Hall of Fame.

That last one is the most eye-rollingly tedious argument of them all, because it applies the most narrow definition of rock and roll, which, surprise surprise, keeps out most women, gays, and POCs. “Madonna is NOT rock and roll.” You’re funny. Madonna is more rock and roll than Journey. She even plays a guitar onstage!

Every rock fan has a favorite band they cannot believe hasn’t been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame [[RRHOF). For some people I know, it’s the Monkees. For others, it’s the Moody Blues. I think both groups have dim arguments for inclusion, but I’m quite certain the lack of respect for Roxy Music is insane. I, of course, am right.

The list of acts who were nominated this year but didn’t get enough votes for induction includes the Cars, Chic, Depeche Mode, Janet Jackson, Jane’s Addiction, Chaka Khan, Kraftwerk, MC5, Joe Tex, and the Zombies. There’s a world in which people think Joan Baez is better than Janet Jackson, and ELO is better than Kraftwerk. Sadly, we live in that world. But if you want to understand why the RRHOF often makes bad choices, you have to first understand who the voters are. I am one. Let me tell you about us, and why we suck.

Over the last ten years, the clique of Baby Boomers who control the RRHOF have culled the nominating committee of many retirement-age VIPs, and added younger people. By “younger,” I mean in their mid-40s.

The nominating committee, currently about 28 members, consists of musicians [[Steve Van Zandt, Robbie Robertson, Paul Shaffer), music execs [[John Sykes, Rick Krim, Seymour Stein), managers [[committee chairman Jon Landau, Cliff Burnstein), and lots of journalists, including at least eight current or former Rolling Stone contributors, which exceeds the number of women on the committee [[five). They meet every September in a conference room at Rolling Stone. [[Jann Wenner, the founder, editor, and publisher of Rolling Stone, is chairman of the Rock Hall Foundation.) In recent years, the smaller nominating committee has done a fine job of nominating acts who’d been ignored because they didn’t fit the Boomer definition of rock. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine persuaded a skeptical committee to nominate KISS. Questlove pushed Hall & Oates onto a ballot. One or both got a nomination this year for Bad Brains.

Once the committee determines the ballot, it’s mailed to more than 800 writers, executives, and musicians. We vote and determine who gets in. This is where the problem is. The committee has put Chic on the ballot for 11 years, because they know Chic is a fantastic fucking band whose songs continue to influence young musicians, and every year, voters shun Chic for the likes of, say, Journey, who are closer to the classic Boomer ideal of rock.

“Joan Baez isn’t rock,” you say. Yes, but she’s “authentic” — writes songs, doesn’t use Auto-Tune, performs at benefits, and, most important of all, is a Boomer. BOOMERS REVERE BOOMERS. And while the committee has gotten younger, the voting members have not. Everyone who’s been inducted in the RRHOF gets a ballot. It’s a sign of respect, and it acknowledges their expertise and achievements. However, many of these voters are older than the Atlantic Ocean. And by comprising a majority, they control the vote. They evidently don’t care about Chic [[“Disco sucks”) or Depeche Mode [[“Dudes in eyeliner singing about S&M”) or Kraftwerk [[“Don’t play guitars and are German”). “The nominating committee is a more educated, elite, and sophisticated group of people [than the voters],” Wenner acknowledged when I interviewed him about the Hall in 2015.

By now, people on the committee are more than exasperated by me and the voters. Last year, when Chicago, Steve Miller, and Deep Purple got in, I emailed a member of the committee [[which I’m not on) and said, “Better groups won’t get in until you take away voting rights from older, conservative voters.” He replied, “You nailed it.” He described the trio of inductees as “brutal,” and added, “Somewhere, Lee Abrams is laughing at us all.” [[Industry joke. Abrams is a radio consultant, and the reason you know the words “mountains come out of the sky and they stand there.”)

So why doesn’t the committee change the demographics of the voters the same way they changed their own demographics? For one thing, doing so would probably contradict the Boomer music canon Rolling Stone created and perpetuates. If Chic is as good as Deep Purple, then the magazine’s long dislike of disco [[and, broadly, Top 40 pop) might seem, in retrospect, dubious. What if all the great music wasn’t made in the ‘60s? What if Sgt. Pepper isn’t the greatest rock album ever made?

But also, the Hall hosts a concert each year, which is broadcast on TV. They want to sell tickets and get good ratings, which generates income, which funds the museum in Cleveland and its excellent exhibits and archival projects.

Am I implying that the Hall cheats to get the results it wants? Many people suspect this; I don’t. I’m not a Rock Hall Truther. Though I admit, it would be easier to make my argument if the Hall had any transparency at all about the vote totals. [[And, maybe, if the Hall didn’t have two staffers who work in the offices of Wenner Media; and if the Hall didn’t thus pay rent to Wenner.) The Baseball Hall of Fame, for instance, announces vote totals for every player on the ballot. The Rock Hall announces only who finished at the top. Don’t expect this to change. In 2011, Jon Landau, who chairs the nominating committee and manages Bruce Springsteen, proudly said to the New York Times, “We’ve done a good job of keeping the proceedings nontransparent. It all dies in the room.”

So no, I don’t think it’s a #riggedelection. But I do think the results are beneficial to the Hall’s interests. Rock groups sell tickets and get ratings. Pearl Jam will attract more viewers and make more money for the Hall than Chic would. Same with Journey versus Kraftwerk, who’d probably send robot selves to accept their award. In any given year, if you want to know who will definitely get in, find the most popular white rock band on the ballot. They’re a clinch. I took money off friends a few years ago because I was confident Rush would get in, even though they’re not a critically adored band.

The RRHOF benefits from the poor decisions we voters make, and that removes the motivation to kick out older voters — which would be genuinely disrespectful, though I doubt many would object — in order to get the results they damn well know are better and more just. There aren’t a lot of dollars in justice.

How can the Hall fix the Boomer problem? One solution would be to add hundreds of younger voters who don’t think music of the ‘80s and ‘90s is crass and distasteful. But the Hall isn’t exactly trusting of younger people, and they’re unlikely to cede control to a bunch of crazy kids.

Another solution would be to eliminate me and all the other voters. Kill us off. Let the “educated, elite, and sophisticated” nominating committee make the final decisions. As much as I’d miss casting my vote for Chic year after year after goddamn year, that’s probably the right decision. Elites make better voting choices than the general public, as we’ve already seen this year, in a far less harmless election.

Full disclosure: This year, I voted for Chic, Janet Jackson, Kraftwerk, Tupac Shakur, and Yes. I did not write in a vote for Roxy Music, or for Bernie Sanders.

marv2
10-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Omg! Carole King not inducted! She only plays the piano!

Carole King who? Exactly! That is how those idiots at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame look at almost anyone that did not play guitar rock. That is how they overlooked The Guess Who for 27 years!

marv2
10-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Luciano, they claim that their selections are based on how much an artist influenced our culture. Chubby Checker popularized dancing apart that became the norm in America for decades and decades. He didn't play an instrument, but he surely was instrumental in the early stages of Dance Music during the Rock Era. It was all Rock and Roll!

marv2
10-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Chic should have been in the Hall over 15 years ago or around there.

Luciano
10-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Luciano, they claim that their selections are based on how much an artist influenced our culture. Chubby Checker popularized dancing apart that became the norm in America for decades and decades. He didn't play an instrument, but he surely was instrumental in the early stages of Dance Music during the Rock Era. It was all Rock and Roll!

Exactly Marv - Even rappers remade his hit. Do you remember this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1M25ZOspM

luke
10-09-2017, 11:41 PM
And how about three black women who were prototypes for Gaga etc, who sang rock and roll and funk and soul and who wrote a lot of their own material...Labelle!!???!

marv2
10-10-2017, 12:26 AM
Exactly Marv - Even rappers remade his hit. Do you remember this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1M25ZOspM

Oh Gawd yes! LOL! But I also remember film clips of President and Mrs. Kennedy doing the twist, Lyndon Johnson and his daughter doing it.....maybe even Pope John XXIII did the Twist! LOL!

marv2
10-10-2017, 12:28 AM
And how about three black women who were prototypes for Gaga etc, who sang rock and roll and funk and soul and who wrote a lot of their own material...Labelle!!???!

There are a very small percentage of black women in the Hall. If you've ever seen video of the popular Jam session that they have at the end of each awards ceremony, you will get a clear idea of who is and who is not valued to certain people that have influence with the Hall.

marv2
10-10-2017, 12:30 AM
I hope someone high up at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame reads this thread. As a blog/forum dedicated to music, Soulful Detroit Forum should be in the damned Hall! LOL!