PDA

View Full Version : If this doesnt give us stricter gun control nothing will

test

Roberta75
10-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Politicans STOP taking money from the NRA and do something about gun violence NOW.

MotownSteve
10-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Maybe outlawing the NRA. I think they've outlived their usefulness. In Florida they want to allow anyone to just go into a store and buy a silencer. In Ohio there was a bill to allow guns carried openly in bars. Or something like that. In Nevada they still think it is the wild west. The list could go on and on.

DJMoch
10-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Politicans STOP taking money from the NRA and do something about gun violence NOW.

With all due respect to people of faith, the time for prayer has been over since the last several dozen mass shootings. It's time for governmental action. To address mental health issues. To address gun control. To address the fact that terrorism exists in every race/religion/whatever under the sun. That today's massacre wasn't simply the result of a "lone wolf" or a "loose cannon" or a "mentally unbalanced" individual [[aka code words for what seems to only be reserved for Caucasian attackers), but to call it for what it truly was: domestic terrorism.

In the aftermath of the massacre in Las Vegas, it's time to remember the 50+ victims. These are the people who need to be remembered. Share their stories, their history, their families and their friends. Spare a minute to think of them and their lives cut short.

As for the shooter, the media needs to stop publicizing and broadcasting his name. He doesn't deserve his 15 minutes of fame. He doesn't deserve to be remembered at all, except for what he was - a domestic terrorist, ultimately a mere footnote in the annals of human history. He deserves to rot in the ground -- alone, nameless and forgotten. That is the least of what he deserves.

My heart is breaking for the people of Las Vegas. Stay strong.

MotownSteve
10-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Very well put.

Roberta75
10-02-2017, 09:09 PM
With all due respect to people of faith, the time for prayer has been over since the last several dozen mass shootings. It's time for governmental action. To address mental health issues. To address gun control. To address the fact that terrorism exists in every race/religion/whatever under the sun. That today's massacre wasn't simply the result of a "lone wolf" or a "loose cannon" or a "mentally unbalanced" individual [[aka code words for what seems to only be reserved for Caucasian attackers), but to call it for what it truly was: domestic terrorism.

In the aftermath of the massacre in Las Vegas, it's time to remember the 50+ victims. These are the people who need to be remembered. Share their stories, their history, their families and their friends. Spare a minute to think of them and their lives cut short.

As for the shooter, the media needs to stop publicizing and broadcasting his name. He doesn't deserve his 15 minutes of fame. He doesn't deserve to be remembered at all, except for what he was - a domestic terrorist, ultimately a mere footnote in the annals of human history. He deserves to rot in the ground -- alone, nameless and forgotten. That is the least of what he deserves.

My heart is breaking for the people of Las Vegas. Stay strong.

I agree with all of your points and im really happy the CNN wont mention the murdering Bastard by name. Prayer also helps many of us and but the time for real gun restrictions is now.

DJMoch
10-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Fair enough. I realize prayer gives comfort to people, and I wouldn't dream of imposing my own views on others. It's just that for me at least, though I identify as a Christian, I don't really practice or observe it. To me, prayer, while a nice gesture on the whole, ultimately feels a bit empty or meaningless. When confronted with horrors like today's attack in Vegas, we need more tangible results than just praying to a deity, however comforting it may be.

As religion is a bit of a hot-button topic, your mileages will most definitely vary. Obviously.

Respectfully yours,
Emile

Jerry Oz
10-03-2017, 02:12 AM
I'm also Christian but the rank hypocrisy of the people who call for thoughts and prayers is incredible. The ones who typically do are also the ones in position to solve the issue. So, asking God to fix a problem that is within our ability to resolve is a joke. He didn't create this situation and it's not His responsibility to end it

PeaceNHarmony
10-03-2017, 07:45 AM
I'm also Christian but the rank hypocrisy of the people who call for thoughts and prayers is incredible. The ones who typically do are also the ones in position to solve the issue. So, asking God to fix a problem that is within our ability to resolve is a joke. He didn't create this situation and it's not His responsibility to end it
Indeed. And the GOP led congress' moment of silent BS. That and "thoughts and prayers" make me want to vomit.

Roberta75
10-03-2017, 12:57 PM

The GOP have taken millions and millions of dollars from the NRA over the yeras allowing the gun epidemic to escallate out of control. Theres a lot of congress with blood money on there hands,.

TomatoTom123
10-03-2017, 01:15 PM
This is crazy. And so sad.

A man from ‘Armed American Radio’ or something came on Channel 4 yesterday and couldn’t understand the link between the attack and amount of casualties and the availability of assault rifles.

Being from the UK I can’t really understand some of these attitudes towards guns. But, surely, if you must have the right to bear arms, why can’t it just be handguns? Why on earth are semi-automatic military-style weapons available to purchase from a shop?

I thought the whole idea of having a gun was for self-defence — this is not that.

TomatoTom123
10-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Ironically, and sickeningly, I believe that every time there is a terrorist attack like this, gun sales actually go up because people are more scared.

Jerry Oz
10-03-2017, 03:54 PM
This is crazy. And so sad.

A man from ‘Armed American Radio’ or something came on Channel 4 yesterday and couldn’t understand the link between the attack and amount of casualties and the availability of assault rifles.

Being from the UK I can’t really understand some of these attitudes towards guns. But, surely, if you must have the right to bear arms, why can’t it just be handguns? Why on earth are semi-automatic military-style weapons available to purchase from a shop?

I thought the whole idea of having a gun was for self-defence — this is not that.
Congress is about to legalize gun silencers and permit the purchase of armor-piercing bullets. The cops are pissed about it because the only reason for armor piercing bullets is to shoot through body armor and the only reason for silencing gun shots is to make it easier to commit crime. So, the next time they say "blue lives matter", you know that they're just being funny.

Roberta75
10-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Congress is about to legalize gun silencers and permit the purchase of armor-piercing bullets. The cops are pissed about it because the only reason for armor piercing bullets is to shoot through body armor and the only reason for silencing gun shots is to make it easier to commit crime. So, the next time they say "blue lives matter", you know that they're just being funny.

Congress needs to revist the Second Amendment. The 2nd Ammendment doesnt mean anyone can own a machine gun or 12 or 43 machine guns. No amount of reading it could bring a person to that conclussion.

Roberta75
10-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Deputies found a domestic White Terrorist, thats what we need to start calling them, in his car with a load of guns and 900 rounds of ammunittion. Theres a huge problem in our country and Congress need to get of there butts and pass strict gun control.

http://time.com/4968166/tennessee-weapons-discovery-traffic-stop/

Roberta75
10-03-2017, 11:49 PM
Solid proof The GOP is in bed with the NRA. Paul Ryan tops the list.

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/gun-lobbying-spending-in-america-congress/?lo=ap_d1

Jerry Oz
10-04-2017, 12:48 AM
Nothing will change until a brown person breaks the sad record that was set on Sunday night.

Roberta75
10-05-2017, 11:35 AM
This was sent to me earlier today.

If the Mandalay Bay hotel had caught fire and 58 people died and 500+ people were injured trying to escape, America would be having a discussion - now - about how to make hotels safer.
If 58 people at the concert had died and 500+ people went to the hospital due to food poisoning, America would be having a conversation - now - about how to make food safer.
If a gas tanker had exploded on I-15, the freeway that runs through Las Vegas, and killed 58 people and injured 500+, there would be demands - now - to make those vehicles safer.
It is not "political" to demand that lawmakers take steps to reduce deaths from too many guns acquired too easily. Indeed, it is a moral imperative. When there has been a long dangerous pattern of injuries and deaths; it is not any more "political" to demand better gun safety NOW than it is to demand better fire codes, stricter food inspections, or safer vehicles. To say that "now is not the time..." really means that never is the time. Absolutely, NOW - and continuing for as long as it takes - is the time.

Jerry Oz
10-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Roberta, there are more safety requirements on Super Soakers than there are on handguns and rifles. Only in America.

Roberta75
10-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Roberta, there are more safety requirements on Super Soakers than there are on handguns and rifles. Only in America.

Sickening Jerry real sickening.

TomatoTom123
10-05-2017, 01:32 PM
What I don’t understand is that fully-automatic guns are illegal, yet semi-automatic guns aren’t, and semi-to-fully-automatic converters aren’t either. So you can buy a semi-automatic and concert it to fully-automatic, and this is completely legal?! Madness!

TomatoTom123
10-05-2017, 01:37 PM
This was sent to me earlier today.

If the Mandalay Bay hotel had caught fire and 58 people died and 500+ people were injured trying to escape, America would be having a discussion - now - about how to make hotels safer.
If 58 people at the concert had died and 500+ people went to the hospital due to food poisoning, America would be having a conversation - now - about how to make food safer.
If a gas tanker had exploded on I-15, the freeway that runs through Las Vegas, and killed 58 people and injured 500+, there would be demands - now - to make those vehicles safer.
It is not "political" to demand that lawmakers take steps to reduce deaths from too many guns acquired too easily. Indeed, it is a moral imperative. When there has been a long dangerous pattern of injuries and deaths; it is not any more "political" to demand better gun safety NOW than it is to demand better fire codes, stricter food inspections, or safer vehicles. To say that "now is not the time..." really means that never is the time. Absolutely, NOW - and continuing for as long as it takes - is the time.

Very true, Roberta. What makes this any different from a fire or food poisoning? It’s the lives that have been lost, that’s what matters, surely.

robb_k
10-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Congress needs to revist the Second Amendment. The 2nd Ammendment doesnt mean anyone can own a machine gun or 12 or 43 machine guns. No amount of reading it could bring a person to that conclussion.
The 2nd Amendment to The US Constitution doesn't even mean any person can keep an ordinary rifle or pistol in his or her house, or carry them on the streets every day. All it means is that the ordinary citizens are allowed to raise a militia to defend their community. That originally meant that the militia's weapons were to be housed in a public armory.

But, I have no faith that The NRA, Republicans, and right-wing Democrats will relent, and "allow" some decent, effective controls even on just automatic and semi-automatic weapons.

Jerry Oz
10-07-2017, 09:35 PM
The 2nd Amendment to The US Constitution doesn't even mean any person can keep an ordinary rifle or pistol in his or her house, or carry them on the streets every day. All it means is that the ordinary citizens are allowed to raise a militia to defend their community. That originally meant that the militia's weapons were to be housed in a public armory.

But, I have no faith that The NRA, Republicans, and right-wing Democrats will relent, and "allow" some decent, effective controls even on just automatic and semi-automatic weapons.
In the '80s, the GOP finally found a Supreme Court that was willing to interpret the 2nd Amendment in the loosest way imaginable. When the history books tell of the Fall of the American Empire some day, that decision will be a great place to start. Since then, SCOTUS has been a partisan weapon instead of a fair and impartial chamber for the determination of constitutionality of law.

To be sure, the court has always been a political body, but in the past 30 years it has gone from having a semblance of impartiality to frequently being openly political [[see: Citizens United).