PDA

View Full Version : Temptations -Wings Of Love

test

masterblaster
09-28-2017, 10:15 AM
I always thought this album was not one of the best of the Temptations albums. However, I have recently revisited the album and found a new appreciation of it. What I didn't realise was that many of the musicians on the album were from Sly and The Family Stone who had influenced many of the Norman Whitfield produced albums.

Sly Stone actually co-wrote 'Up The Creek' and Family Stone members Freddie Stewart, Rusty Allen and Pat Rizzo also contributed to 'Sweet Gypsy Jane' and 'China Doll'.

I also think the cover art is one of the best Temps albums ever.

TomatoTom123
09-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Hey masterblaster, this is a cool and interesting album. Perhaps not a classic Temptations LP, but still good nonetheless.

As you say Sly Stone was heavily involved, which is fascinating as he provided the inspiration for many of the Norman Whitfield-era Tempts songs!

It has been said that he actually wrote quite a few of the songs on the album but couldn’t receive credit for “tax reasons” or something. Several of the tracks were written by a guy called ‘Truman Thomas’ but this could actually be Sly!

“Up The Creek [[Without A Paddle)” is BTW a funktastic horn-drenched track and I love it!

TomatoTom123
09-28-2017, 10:30 AM
http://neverenoughrhodes.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/temptations-wings-of-love-1976.html?m=1

I am of the belief that Sly did co-write those Truman Thomas tracks... ;)

blkfrost
09-29-2017, 02:42 PM
My favorite tracks are "Dreamworld [[Wings of Love)", "Mary Ann" and "Paradise". I also like the cover art.