PDA

View Full Version : The Undisputed Truth

test

heikki
09-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Hi!

Please read my short review of a new retrospect compilation by the group at

http://www.soulexpress.net/deep6_2017.htm

There's also a review of a new, great book about Florida Soul.

Best regards
Heikki

PeaceNHarmony
09-22-2017, 02:37 PM
Great, Heikki! Thanks for this -

edafan
09-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the information

edafan

TomatoTom123
09-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Thanks heikki!! I read every word of it within 60 seconds, lol.

I agree by the way that the non-Motown covers are a bit "meh"... but oh well.

I also totally agree with your choosing "Help Yourself" and "Gonna Keep On Tryin' 'Til I Win Your Love" as highlights of the set... they really are!!! :D

Luciano
09-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Hi!

Please read my short review of a new retrospect compilation by the group at

http://www.soulexpress.net/deep6_2017.htm

There's also a review of a new, great book about Florida Soul.

Best regards
Heikki

Thanks for sharing your review. You did a great job and I enjoyed reading it! I was planning on purchasing but this gave me pause.

heikki
09-23-2017, 01:35 AM
Thank you,
PeaceNHarmony, Edafan, TomatoTom123 and Luciano!
Luciano, you can always listen to the clips on Ace's website [[there's a link at the end of the review) and make up your mind after that.

Best regards
Heikki

Cosmic Truth
09-23-2017, 04:57 AM
Thanks for that Heikki

I didn't know the Undisputed Truth's Law Of The Land was the cover version. I always assumed The Temptations was the cover, probably due to the fact The Undisputed Truth's album was called Law Of The Land.

I love both version, but The Undisputed Truths version is my favourite.

heikki
09-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Hi Cosmic Truth!

According to Keith Hughes' detailed track annotations, "Law of the Land" by the Undisputed Truth was recorded in April 1973 and released as a single [[Gordy 7130) in May, whereas the Temptations cut their version already in January.

Best regards
Heikki

heikki
09-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Sorry everybody, only now did I notice that there already exists a thread "Nothing but the Truth" on the Motown forum.

TomatoTom123
09-23-2017, 08:23 PM
For some reason I always thought The Undisputed Truth recorded the original version of "Law Of The Land" and Norman then rerecorded it with The Tempts... but apparently not! Makes sense though, as The Truth's main purpose seemingly was to endlessly cover Temptations songs... lol... with great results of course :D

Interestingly, while I like The Truth's [[cover!) version of "Law Of The Land", I much prefer The Tempts' original. I love the song itself but whenever I listen to The Truth's version I'm kinda underwhelmed.

Actually The Tempts' recording of it is near-perfection to my ears... a groundbreaking early Disco song... multi-led funk floorfiller... IMO the real follow-up to "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone"...!

Cosmic Truth
09-30-2017, 02:45 PM
For some reason I always thought The Undisputed Truth recorded the original version of "Law Of The Land" and Norman then rerecorded it with The Tempts... but apparently not! Makes sense though, as The Truth's main purpose seemingly was to endlessly cover Temptations songs... lol... with great results of course :D

Interestingly, while I like The Truth's [[cover!) version of "Law Of The Land", I much prefer The Tempts' original. I love the song itself but whenever I listen to The Truth's version I'm kinda underwhelmed.

Actually The Tempts' recording of it is near-perfection to my ears... a groundbreaking early Disco song... multi-led funk floorfiller... IMO the real follow-up to "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone"...!

Do you think it's a better song than Masterpiece, Tom?

Cosmic Truth
09-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Hi Cosmic Truth!

According to Keith Hughes' detailed track annotations, "Law of the Land" by the Undisputed Truth was recorded in April 1973 and released as a single [[Gordy 7130) in May, whereas the Temptations cut their version already in January.

Best regards
Heikki

Thanks for the info, Heikki.

TomatoTom123
10-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Do you think it's a better song than Masterpiece, Tom?

Yea, I think I do, Cosmic. I re-listened to “Masterpiece” [[the incredibly long full version!!) recently and it while it was good, and quite “Papa”-esque, “Law Of The Land” is the better song IMO. Catchier, more danceable and sounds more like a hit to me. :)