PDA

View Full Version : R.ip. To the marvellettes great lead singer gladys horton

test

the_classic_master
01-27-2011, 01:59 PM
One-time lead singer of Motown's Marvelettes dies at 66
Gladys Horton led hit song 'Please Mr. Postman'
Gladys Horton of the Marvelettes, center, died Wednesday night. Also pictured is Constance Lawhorn, left, and Georgette Green. / Detroit Free Press file photo
Gladys Horton, the Detroit native whose voice led such Marvelettes hits as "Please Mr. Postman" and "Beechwood 4-5789," died late Wednesday at a nursing home in Sherman Oaks, Calif. She was 66.
"My mother died peacefully," Horton's son, Vaughn Thornton, said in a statement issued this morning by the Motown Alumni Association. "She fought as long as she could."

Horton had lived in the nursing facility since a stroke last year.

She had retired from the music business in spring 2009, noting that travel was longer enjoyable, effectively ending the 48-year reign of the original Marvelettes.

"Love comes in two directions, from your hearts to us and from our hearts to you, and it has always been that way!" she wrote in a statement at the time.

As a student at Inkster High School, Horton helped found the group that would eventually become the Marvelettes, linking up with fellow glee club members Katherine Anderson, Juanita Cowart, Georgeanna Tillman and Georgia Dobbins.

A successful audition for Motown Records was followed in 1961 by the group's debut single, "Please Mr. Postman," with 17-year-old Horton on lead vocals. It became Motown's biggest pop crossover hit to that point, reaching No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100.

Horton was the lead singer on follow-up hits such as "Beechwood 4-5789," "Playboy" and "Too Many Fish In The Sea" before losing her lead role to Wanda Young in 1965. Horton departed the group in 1967 and moved to the Los Angeles area in the early 1970s.

She performed in later years as Gladys Horton of the Marvelettes, though she complained that her ability to tour was hampered by other "Marvelettes" incarnations with dubious ties to the original group. Her example was frequently cited amid legislative attempts to protect the naming rights of original artists.

Horton is survived by two sons. Funeral arrangements have not yet been set.

marv2
01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Gladys use to SANG! I mean when you had Gladys and her girls on, you knew you had a party!

Rest in Peace and thank you!

Marv

jobeterob
01-27-2011, 02:42 PM
It would be nice if the condolences of fans like those on SD could be passed on to her family and that they knew she was fondly remembered for her great songs.

nysister
01-27-2011, 03:26 PM
My condolences to the family of this great lady. I was just a kid, but this lady sang the heck out of "Please Mr. Postman," and we wore out the linoleum on "Too Many Fish In The Sea." Thank you Gladys for being a part of the soundtrack of my life.

tallone
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
A great lady of song who will be missed.
@NYSister......"Linoleum".....now theres a name or term I have not heard in years. We used to tear it up too!

blueskies
01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
It would be nice if the condolences of fans like those on SD could be passed on to her family and that they knew she was fondly remembered for her great songs.

Messages posted by Katherine at her Facebook site:

" My Dear Gladys, R.I.P [[http://www.facebook.com/notes/katherine-anderson-schaffner/my-dear-gladys-rip/126327050770128)
The world has lost another fine voice. Gladys Horton, founder and lead singer for the Marvelettes, who gave MOTOWN'S first GOLD RECORD, made her transition late night January the 26, 2011. i love her like a sister and she will be truly missed............ kat "

also:
Katherine Anderson Schaffner [[http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1278549080) you may send cards to me at The Original Marvlettes P.O.Box 415, Inkster, Mi. 48141
Or you may send them to her son: Vaughn Thornton 5224 1/2 Vantage Ave, Valley Village, CA 91607

tom_moulton
01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Sweet Gladys,You will Always rank as one of my Favorite lead singers. You gave me so many Happy Memories over the years with your Honest ,touching and sincere vocals and I am always amazed how I never forget the phone number of Beechwood 45789. Rest In Peace Dear Lady.

marv2
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Ms. Gladys Horton.............................A Motown Original!

the_classic_master
01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
beautiful! my mother's favorite female group!

tomato tom
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
So Sad...Gladys you touched so many people with your wonderful voice. You will be missed, but will live on thanks to the legacy of the classic songs you recorded with the GREATEST female group of all time, THE MAREVLOUS MARVELETTES. I sulute you as a TRUE Soul Icon. Lots love..Paulo XXXX

arrr&bee
01-27-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm at a lost for words,maybe the most soulful voice of all the girl group singers,I believe gladys could've had an exceptional solo career had she chose to but i think that her heart was with the group and we are all greatful for her being the great singer that she was,my favorite girl group of all time,R.I.P.MS HORTON your memory will live on always.

satipe
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Gladys had been ill for a while so thankfully, she is at peace. My thoughts and prayers go to her family.

bankhousedave
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
I'll say no more.

RIP Gladys

marv2
01-27-2011, 07:00 PM
She was also a very great mother. Few know but Gladys put her career third or fourth behind caring for her now adult son with Autism and her other children. I do hope her story can be fully told one day.

jdwheat
01-27-2011, 07:00 PM
RIP Ms. Gladys Horton, thank you for all the wonderful music.

Doug-Morgan
01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
RIP, Ms. Horton

blueskies
01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Ms. Gladys Horton.............................A Motown Original!
Thanks for the great pictures, Marv. These are the very pictures of Gladys that will be forever etched in my mind.
RIP Gladys....you brought happiness to so many.

jillfoster
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear this. But one can rejoice in the knowledge that she is no longer in pain, and the Lord has brought her home to sing for him. Condolences to her family, and those she left behind, she was one of a kind.

marv2
01-27-2011, 09:34 PM
I just want to make sure that everyone realizes that it was the Marvelettes with Gladys Horton leading that put MOTOWN on the map! It wasn't Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye or Commodores, it was Gladys Horton's young,exuberant and natural voice that most people heard coming out of this record company out of Detroit, Michigan. She and the Marvelettes gave Berry and Motown their first number one record helping to make it possible for Motown to do all the great things that would come later!

luke
01-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Amen!! VG reminder Marv.

ceasar
01-28-2011, 12:12 AM
So sorry to hear this.
We did the APOLLO with her group back in the day.
My prayers go out to the family.
CEASAR
THE
TYMES

daviddesper
01-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I was a teenager in a small town during the Marvelettes' heyday, and didn't have much access to the inside story of Motown. I just knew what I liked and my musical life revolved around just about anything the female groups put on my local radio stations.

But here later in [[my) life, I have learned so much more about the real history of Motown, largely through this forum I might add, and of course the Marvelettes' book. So I thank all of you for contributing so much toward my education and for helping me understand what these artists really went through.

My two wishes to honor Gladys' memory would be that: A) this could be the impetus to finally getting the Marvs their well-deserved place in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame; and B) that this could somehow put an end to all those appalling fake groups out there.

RIP, dear lady. My favorite tracks with her on lead would be Too Many Fish in the Sea and I Need Someone.

soulwally
01-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Here's Gladys leading...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQbpSLW1jE&feature=related

HAL-
01-28-2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnadba8upyU

Just tick image for mp3 audio of my favorite Marvellettes recording

http://i56.tinypic.com/2gxeo41.jpg [[http://k002.kiwi6.com/hotlink/lt6ijq9bea)

marv2
01-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Here is a great tribute to Gladys Horton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM3cWrJ4vTU

midnightman
01-29-2011, 02:17 PM
It's sad when musical pioneers don't get any real recognition for what they accomplish until they die. The Marvelettes truly were pioneers to me in a sense that they had a unique sound and it gave Motown its early glorious years. How they were screwed by the very same company that heralded them was even sadder. But what is said about Gladys is she was a trooper until she decided a family was more important than continuing a musical career and she should be rewarded for simply being a great woman. Even when she got screwed by Motown and managers after leaving the label, she still kept going on until she couldn't. Sadder that she left this world at such a very young age. Leaving this world at 65 is scary. That said, I hope she's resting eternally in peace.

midnightman
01-29-2011, 02:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl3CTbeuhzk

This video just shows how diverse they were and the fact that Gladys & Wanda both sing lead on this is impressive. They definitely gave the other groups a run for their money!

marv2
01-29-2011, 04:21 PM
It's sad when musical pioneers don't get any real recognition for what they accomplish until they die. The Marvelettes truly were pioneers to me in a sense that they had a unique sound and it gave Motown its early glorious years. How they were screwed by the very same company that heralded them was even sadder. But what is said about Gladys is she was a trooper until she decided a family was more important than continuing a musical career and she should be rewarded for simply being a great woman. Even when she got screwed by Motown and managers after leaving the label, she still kept going on until she couldn't. Sadder that she left this world at such a very young age. Leaving this world at 65 is scary. That said, I hope she's resting eternally in peace.

AMEN, Thank you Midnightman.

tsull1
01-29-2011, 05:49 PM
A sad day in music. Truly a great singer in a great group, of course I love their tunes, who doesn't? Feel good music, great singing. Very sad, 66 isn't that old. Thanks for ther rememberences and photos. She was a stunningly beautiful woman, wow!