PDA

View Full Version : So sad to hear Gladys Horton has passed.

test

thelastsupreme
01-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Just got an email from Ron Brewington

"THE MARVELETTES" FORMER LEAD SINGER GLADYS HORTON SUCCUMBS

[[Sherman Oaks, CA) - Gladys Horton, co-founder and former lead singer of the popular Motown all-female group, "The Marvelettes," has died.

She was 66.

Vaughn Thornton, 40, says his mother passed at approximately 10:00 PM, PST on Wednesday, Jan. 26th in a Sherman Oaks, Calif. [[near Los Angeles) nursing home where she had been recuperating from a stroke that she suffered some time ago.

"My mother died peacefully," said Thornton. "She fought as long as she could."

Horton was born in Detroit, Mich. in 1944. She was raised by foster parents in the western Detroit suburb of Inkster.

While a student at Inkster High School, Horton developed a strong interest in singing and joined the high school glee club. She joined with several other members of the glee club, Katherine Anderson, Juanita Cowart , Georgeanna Tillman and later Georgia Dobbins to form a group.

The ladies called themselves "The Casinyets," short for "can't sing yet."

Following a successful talent contest to sing for Motown, Dobbins, who was the group's first lead singer, co-created "Please Mr. Postman." Sadly, Dobbins had to leave the group after her father forbid her from singing in nightclubs.

Horton then became the lead singer and the group changed their name to "The Marvelettes." Motown released the song in the summer of 1961 when Horton was only fifteen.

The song jumped to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Motown's first #1 Pop hit.

Horton led on several other hits songs, including "Beechwood 4-5789," "Playboy" and "Too Many Fish In The Sea."

She was later replaced as lead singer for the group in 1965 by Wanda Young. Horton stayed with the group until 1967.

Horton is also survived by son, Sammy, 42.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

copley
01-27-2011, 05:50 AM
So sad to be reading this news. RIP Gladys.

splanky
01-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Well this certainly is sad news for me; I've been in love with Gladys practically most of my life. At least her pain is over.
RIP, Gladys. Miss you like hell already!...

jtf1972
01-27-2011, 08:21 AM
:[[ Rest in Peace, Gladys...

smark21
01-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Very sad news to hear.

captainjames
01-27-2011, 09:01 AM
I was really hoping she would pull through, I am praying for her family. She can now sing in the heavenly choir.

GeeTee(HPK)
01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
:[[ May she rest in peace.

MotownSteve
01-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Another Motown star has left us. Condolences to her family.

Koach
01-27-2011, 09:21 AM
My condolences go out. I liked Please, Mr. Postman.

randy_russi
01-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Saddened to hear. She, however, was born in Gainesville, FL and moved to Detroit at about the age of one.

topdiva1
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Our legends return to glory - so quickly - Rest in peace dear Marvelette, Gladys Horton.

mellow_q
01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
R.I.P. dear Gladys, and thank you.

Marc Taylor

marv2
01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
She fought as long as she could, amen. God Bless and RIP Gladys.

Marv

carlo
01-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Rest in peace, Gladys. Thank you for sharing your talent and music with the world.

luke
01-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Im very sad about this. RIP Gladys.

stephanie
01-27-2011, 10:58 AM
She put up a good fight not only with her life recently, but with promoters and taking care of her son. Gladys you are truly a pioneer and we have not forgotten you. RIP....

luke
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
One of most recent pics of Gladys. http://www.freep.com/article/20110127/ENT04/110127012/One-time-lead-singer-Motown-s-Marvelettes-dies-66

marxthespot_
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
A beloved member of our musical heritage has passed...RIP Gladys...

sophisticated_soul
01-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Rest in peace Gladys Horton. Thank you for the music.

kenneth
01-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I think the most amazing thing about Gladys Horton's talent was that throughout the years, and even when she recorded less than stellar material later, her voice had not changed at all. There was no mistaking on the Ian Levine recorded songs that it was Gladys Horton you were hearing; her voice was still true and hadn't faded in the slightest. It's too bad she never recorded any solo material after leaving the Marvelettes, and I guess she never got to finish the book she'd intended to write, but hopefully she felt that she had finally achieved recognition from the Vocal Group Hall of Fame and the publication of "The Original Marvelettes."

randy_russi
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
When Gladys first moved back to L.A. in 1984, I was in town with Mary Wells, Martha Reeves, & Shirley Alston. They
were performing at the Sheraton Airport as the Legendary Ladies along with Arlene Smith. Gladys came to the
shows and she brought with her a cassette tape of a recording she had done called "Space Rock Radio" and it
was really good. Great beat and very catchy rhythm. Sounded like a hit. I believe she wrote and produced it.
I wish something would've happened to it and I only hope one of her sons or relatives actually has the
recording.

jboy88
01-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Very Sad news indeed! At least she'll live on in her music.

Motown_M_1056
01-27-2011, 01:15 PM
So many music legends are passing these days that I'm just numb when I hear another has gone. Gladys Horton's was a voice I've listened to all my life. May she rest in God's eternal world of peace.

loveblind
01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.bvblackspin.com/mhttp://faac.us/adf/messages/28522/25945.jpgedia/2011/01/1002929-gladys-horton-marvelettes-617-409.jpghttp://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20110127&Category=ENT04&ArtNo=110127012&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0

She was so underrated but it was her legendary voice that gave Motown records it first no. 1. Rest is peace Soul Queen!

thommg
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Ms. Horton brought me so much joy over the years. Just hearing her voice made me smile and get excited. I thank her for sharing her talent with us and know that she is being welcomed into the heavenly choir with open arms!

tomato tom
01-27-2011, 05:42 PM
I am so sad to hear this news. Sincere wishes to her family. The Marvelettes are my ALL TIME favs, and, I guess, at least we have a great body of her music left behind that we can play, and never forget that lovely. lovely voice. R.I.P. Gladys...Paulo xxx

stopinthenameoflove
01-27-2011, 06:28 PM
I think this news is incredibly sad. I have always loved the voice of Gladys Horton, and from what I have heard and seen, this woman got no breaks in later life trying to resume her career. So, so sad - and shame on those who would not let her sing as Gladys Horton of The Marvelettes

bradsupremes
01-27-2011, 06:56 PM
My favorite Gladys lead vocal on one of the best love songs produced at Motown....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBALn3KR5d8

luke
01-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Not sure if everyone noticed but in link I provided above includes an article in which Berry Gordy expressed his condolences and called her a "special, special lady."

marv2
01-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I just saw it Luke. I hadn't noticed it the first time:

Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. paid tribute to Horton this afternoon, lauding her as one of the first Motown greats.

"Gladys was a very, very special lady, and I loved the way she sang with her raspy, soulful voice," Gordy said through a spokesperson. "We will all miss her, and she will always be a part of the Motown family."

radionixon
01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
RIP Gladys, you changed my life.

Rather than go into a long eulogy, I'd like to remember her by sharing my second-favourite Marvelettes record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkCp-Tgdo

...and then my favourite Marvelettes record, which also might just be my favourite record full stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkC1dvQ9Q7U

Thank you so much for everything. I'll never forget.

brother_love
01-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Gladys Horton 1945 - 2011
Forever...

uptight
01-27-2011, 08:18 PM
So sorry to hear of her passing. Miss Horton has provided a lifetime of enjoyment in the Marvelettes' recordings.

thelastsupreme
01-27-2011, 08:43 PM
An announcement has been on the front page of AOL all day about Gladys' passing. Even more people around the world will be aware of her wonderful soulful singing. So many of our soulful queens deserve to have their legacies continued, as an example to all generations to come of real and raw talent. Peace, everybody.

marv2
01-27-2011, 09:12 PM
I just want to make sure that everyone realizes that it was the Marvelettes with Gladys Horton leading that put MOTOWN on the map! It wasn't Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye or Commodores, it was Gladys Horton's young,exuberant and natural voice that most people heard coming out of this record company out of Detroit, Michigan. She and the Marvelettes gave Berry and Motown their first number one record helping to make it possible for Motown to do all the great things that would come later!

msjoys
01-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Praying for her family - May God wrap His arms of love around them at this difficult time.

Motown_M_1056
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Absolutely. Gladys and the Marvelettes [[ALONG WITH MARY WELLS) were my first Motown discoveries.

smark21
01-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Here's Gladys and the Marvelettes ruling the stage at the Apollo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLHPaBClgI

sunshineonacloudyday
01-28-2011, 01:24 AM
RIP Gladys Horton. God Bless and thank you for leaving us with your great songs--such sweet memories...

daviddesper
01-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Like all of you I am so sad to hear about this, but pleased that the news is being spread so widely. I have seen it in some unusual, totally unexpected places.

But I have a question....didn't we read someplace recently that the Marvelettes were supposed to receive some sort of special Grammy next month? If so, then it would be nice if that is included in the actual telecast as opposed to being one of those "presented earlier" awards. Can someone refresh our memories about what this award is for and if it will indeed be presented?

I also hope her passing will spur along the release of the long-awaited second volume of their albums as well as whatever other treasures [[unreleased or otherwise) that the various labels might have had in store for us. I say flood us with Marvelettes' material and we will buy it all!

road runner
01-28-2011, 03:17 AM
I am heartbroken. The Marvelettes are forever and always my favorites. RIP Gladys; thank you for touching my life.

lakedistrictlad1
01-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Just logged on to the BBC news website this morning and was shocked. Gladys' voice was a great part of my youth - and still is. Such sad news. R.I.P and thankyou.

westlandboy
01-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I had the pleasure of working with Gladys Horton back in the early 1990s. I met her through a mutual friend and was asked to type tapes for her for her biography that was she was working on. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her voice and typing her manuscript from the tapes. I remember there were five tapes in all. She talked about her early years growing up in Romeo, Mi and moving in with foster parents in Inkster. She talked about how Florence Ballard was very encouraging to her and gave her vocal tips when they were in the recording studio. She talked about Florence performing with the Marvelettes when Wanda Rogers was pregnant. Years later someone sent me a picture of Florence on stage with the Marvelettes, which was fun to see that it really did happen. One of the items she mentioned for her book was a section to be called "Letters to the Postman" and she was going to write letters to people she had come across in her life. She wanted to write Diana Ross and ask her if her remember when the Marvelettes let the Supremes "star the show", meaning being top billed, as they were always on before the Marvelettes. She wanted to ask Diana Ross to return the favor. She never talked badly about any of her Motown friends and she said the Marvelettes, Martha and the Vandellas and the Supremes were all friends on different levels. She was a lovely lady to work with and get to know. We did, through Alan White, a Florence Ballard Exhibition Tribute in Westminster, CA and Gladys performed that evening with her Marvelettes and Betty Kelly, of the Vandellas, did a reading on stage of a poem she had written called "Motown Ladies". I have and will always treasure the gift Gladys gave to my wife and I, was a very special little mailbox and she wrote a special dedication on the lid. If you remember, it was the same mailbox she presented to Joan Rivers when she was on her show talking about the early days of Motown and I believe Mary Wilson and Raynoma Gordy were on the show. I remember as a young teenager dancing in my living room playing over and over again "As Long As I Know He's Mine". Loved that song and all the others by the Marvelous Marvelettes. God Bless you, Gladys. Thankfully, we have your music to play over and over.

marv2
01-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Great story Westlandboy and thank you. I take it Westland, Michigan right?

westlandboy
01-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks, Yes, Westland, MI, just down the road from Inkster. I wanted to mention this morning I have my Marvelettes CD in my computer and just have to state what an amazing body of work the Marvelettes produced. You know, not every one made it to number 1, but the chart numbers really don't reflect the talent and great mesages put out by the Marvelettes. Gladys' message to friends on "Too Strong To Be Strung Along", telling Juanita not to put up with the garbage. Her advice to friends to Watch Out! for the Playboy. The wonderful alternate group, the Darnells, "Too Hurt to Cry" . The fantastic guitar intro on "Little Girl Blue" and "Someday, Someway" with Glady singing "Wowowo", great song. Who out there didn't try to phone Beechwood 4-5789? Whether it was Gladys on Lead or Wanda on Lead or Gladys followed with Wanda's falsetto on "As Long As I Know He's Mind" or "Locking Up My Heart". The Marvelettes were simply that, Marvelous and I know I have lots of happy memories ahead listening to "The Girls From Inkster" Gladys, Katherine, Georgia, Wanda, Juanita. You put Inkster on the map and made many fans very happy.

brother_love
01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
An interview with Miss Horton

http://www.soul-patrol.net/horton.ram

marybrewster
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Westlandboy-

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story and memories of Gladys.

Interesting to hear about her book; I recall in the mid-90's there was a 2 [[3?) part interview with Gladys printed in the Florence Ballard Fan Club Newsletter [[didn't Alan White run that?). I only recieved the 1st part, so I was never able to get the whole interview.

Somewhere I have that newsletter; I'll try and dig it out one of these days.

I'd love to know what her "Motown Ladies" poem was.

westlandboy
01-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Yes, it was Alan White that hosted the Florence Ballard Fan Club. He put on three shows and Mary Wilson attended them along with Florence Ballard's three daughters. The first two shows, one was in Los Angeles and the other was West LA at a gallery. I remember there were many Motowners in attendance, but the two highlights for me was meeting all of Flo's daughters , who were just amazed with the exhibit in honor of their mom and Mary's showing of the video of all the appearances of The Supremes on Ed Sullivan, which at that time, we didn't have the luxury of You Tube, so that was fantastic to see those clips. Everyone was in awe. Alan's last show was the one he did with us down in Westminster at an Auditorium. What a lovely, caring human being Alan was.

I remember the interviews in his newsletters. I probably still have them in boxes somewhere. I am pretty sure Betty gave me a copy of her poem and if I can dig it out this weekend, I will post it. We are talking 20 years ago, but I'll have a look for it. I know that poem was a dedication to all the great ladies of Motown. Talk about a classy lady, Betty Kelly was just charming.

I do want to share this, when I was working with Gladys, I used to attend a record show at the Sequoia Atheletic Club in Buena Park and I got the promoter of the show to bring Gladys to one of the shows to sign autographs and meet fans. It was quite a thrill to see the number of fans show up with albums for Gladys to sign. She was in her glory that day. We had many happy encounters with Gladys, and got to meet her son Sammy. I remember going to Pizza Hut the first time I met her and she had Sammy with her. She took good care of Sammy. She just loved talking about her career and even though there were hard times involved with it all, she always had a wonderful smile on her face and she had the greatest dimples I have ever seen. I am that little bit better for having known her and sharing a moment of her life.

olamaebarto
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Here's Gladys and the Marvelettes ruling the stage at the Apollo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLHPaBClgI

The part at the end with that fellow coming up and dancing is a scream.

stingbeelee
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
A wonderful, wonderful article by Susan Whitall in the Detroit News on Gladys and the Marvelettes:
http://www.detnews.com/article/20110128/ENT04/101280317/Co-founder-of-Marvelettes-helped-usher-in-girl-group-era

rod_rick
01-28-2011, 05:03 PM
It is really sad to hear Gladys story. Why is it that everyone come out once the artist pass on and say what they meant to them [[or their company) and not give them that helping hand while they are alive. RIP Ms Horton and wishing her sons and the rest her family God's speed.

luke
01-28-2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/arts/music/28horton.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=gladys%20horton&st=cse Much better bio from NY Times

marv2
01-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Thank you Luke. Even more information about her life/story is coming out.

luke
01-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes Marv-and her sadness over the name and Larry Marshak-for some reason I cant post link but Detroit News has article today on her struggle with Larry Marshak owning the name. She talks about her sadness over it.

REDHOT
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I'll always remember MISS GLADY HORTON,LEAD SINGER OF THE MARVALETTES,R.I.P My sister.She was one of the best.

topdiva1
01-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Yes Marv-and her sadness over the name and Larry Marshak-for some reason I cant post link but Detroit News has article today on her struggle with Larry Marshak owning the name. She talks about her sadness over it.

Larry Marshak - true scum of the earth. RIP dear Marvellette - and if you can haunt Larry Marshak - get to it, girl.

smark21
01-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Larry Marshak - true scum of the earth. RIP dear Marvellette - and if you can haunt Larry Marshak - get to it, girl.

My sentiments are with Top Diva on this one.

marv2
01-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Here's an excellent tribute to Gladys Horton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM3cWrJ4vTU

wedgeville
01-29-2011, 10:49 AM
So sad at the news - always loved both Gladys and Wanda, and thought that having two lead singers kept them sounding so fresh.

I keep playing "I Need Someone" from the Pink album.

RIP, Gladys, and thanks for the wonderful memories which will live on and on and on.

Wayne

westgrandboulevard
01-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Wayne/wedgeville

Agree absolutely about the two lead singers Gladys & Wanda keeping the sound fresh while both were in the group...."As long as I know he's mine", "Keep off, no trespassing"..etc

While you'll always be fondly remembered Gladys, you'll also move forward with us in our hearts.

midnightman
01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
I know several groups both in and out of Motown should be thanking Gladys and the Marvelettes for paving the way for them all. Especially ONE girl group from Detroit's Brewster Projects!!!

And the fact they STILL ain't in the Hall of Fame is a real insult. They, along with the Shirelles and Chantels, were pioneers in what we know as the girl group sound and the Marvelettes earn more points for being one of the first soul groups and also the group that was part of what became "The Sound of Young America".

At 15, 16 years old, Gladys had a voice that sounded MUCH older. And she was so soulful.

smark21
01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
I know several groups both in and out of Motown should be thanking Gladys and the Marvelettes for paving the way for them all. Especially ONE girl group from Detroit's Brewster Projects!!!

And the fact they STILL ain't in the Hall of Fame is a real insult. They, along with the Shirelles and Chantels, were pioneers in what we know as the girl group sound and the Marvelettes earn more points for being one of the first soul groups and also the group that was part of what became "The Sound of Young America".

At 15, 16 years old, Gladys had a voice that sounded MUCH older. And she was so soulful.

Interesting you would say this. I think Gladys had the ability to sound fresh and youthful, yet wise beyond her years at the same time. It gave her leads a special touch. One of her vocals I really like is "Message to Michael"

marv2
01-29-2011, 03:49 PM

You got that right Midnightman! I feel that the Marvelettes just did not receive any support in a way that would have gotten them into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I mean EVERYONE is familiar with their work in one way or another. Gladys fought long and hard since the early 70's to keep the true legacy of the Marvelettes alive. She sought help from those that she thought surely would help, but had door after door slammed in her face. I remember her putting it this way...... "oh I need a little help with my career. I'm a a bit down at the moment. The response? "Oh, so you're down huh? Well stay there! That's when the foot would really go down on her neck!

I didn't really want to get into how and who mistreated her over the years so soon after her passing, but some things have a way of making your blood pressure rise and are enough to make you shake your head in wonder.

Marv

Motown_M_1056
01-29-2011, 04:35 PM
I didn't really want to get into how and who mistreated her over the years so soon after her passing, but some things have a way of making your blood pressure rise and are enough to make you shake your head in wonder.

Marv

But we know you will.

carlo
01-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I totally agree, smark. Gladys' version of "Message to Michael" is also one of my favourites. I was a Marvelettes fan before I was a fan of Dionne Warwick...so I was used to hearing Gladys' version before I even knew of Dionne's hit version. So even though it's considered to be one of Dionne's hits, I always think of it as Gladys' song. :)

dickiemint
01-30-2011, 07:04 PM
It is sad to think that Ms Horton passed without seeing much more of the accolades she and her former Marvelettes deserve. A true Soul legend, everyone knows Please Mr Postman even if they don't know who the singer is, Lets hope that she is now at peace.

marv2
02-01-2011, 12:42 AM
LA memorial set for Marvelettes' Gladys Horton

http://detnews.com/article/20110131/ENT04/101310409/1424/ENT04/LA-memorial-set-for-Marvelettes--Gladys-Horton

A memorial service will be held for Gladys Horton, co-founder of Motown's Marvelettes, at 12:30 p.m. Feb. 22 at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, 6300 Forest Lawn, in Los Angeles.

Horton, the winsome teenage voice on the 1961 No. 1 pop hit "Please, Mr. Postman," died Jan. 26 in L.A., of complications relating to a stroke. She was 66.

A native of Gainesville, Fla., Horton grew up in Inkster and formed the Marvelettes with three friends from Inkster High School. One of those friends, Marvelettes co-founder Katherine Anderson Schaffner, will travel to L.A. to attend the service.

Schaffner invites fans who can't attend but who may want to send condolence cards or their memories of Horton and the group, to post them to The Marvelettes, P.O. Box 415, Inkster, MI 48141.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110131/ENT04/101310409/LA-memorial-set-for-Marvelettes--Gladys-Horton#ixzz1CgASUGhE

MotownSteve
02-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I just got this in an email:

GLADYS HORTON'S FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS [[Official)
The following information was obtained from Vaughn Thornton the son of Gladys Horton of the Marvelettes. January 31, 2011 [[9:30pm est):

Forest Lawn Memorial Park
6300 Forest Lawn Dr.
L.A., CA. 90068

Memorial Service

Tuesday 2/22/2011 * 12:30pm.

Gladys Horton
[Condolence cards and Contributions]
c/o: Vaughn Thornton
5224 1/2 Vantage Ave.
Valley Village Ca. 91607

You can send fan cards to:

The Marvelettes
P.O. Box 415
Inkster, MI 48141

loveblind
02-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Rest In Peace Gladys~http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJpO4bth9u-0BoGAr8NX34yV6rgM7CW7OT5yunXDgpEb7KBQ6G
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs306.snc6/181407_1464345623406_1676482719_905850_6242107_n.j pg

jobeterob
02-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Loveblind, if you see this could you give us some details on the picture you posted above.

jobeterob
02-07-2011, 02:51 PM
You posted at the same time I was writing; I am referring to the picture half way up the thread.

carlo
02-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the above photo of The Marvelettes is from a TV appearance they made overseas. Was it "Ready, Steady, Go" in the UK??

jobeterob
02-07-2011, 07:47 PM
What about the picture that Loveblind posted on January 27, 2011? Would that have been from the PBS Special of a few years back? That is a special picture; I think it is wonderful.

theboyfromxtown
02-07-2011, 09:38 PM
No it wasn't.

theboyfromxtown
02-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the above photo of The Marvelettes is from a TV appearance they made overseas. Was it "Ready, Steady, Go" in the UK??

Might also be "Thank Your Lucky Stars". It's hard to see what is in the background in that shot. Ready Steady Go pics were often with a members of the public somewhere in the shot. We didn't have colour in those days [[well I didn't) and I would never be able to remember what frocks they wore

rod_rick
02-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Why do they say that Wanda took over as lead vocalist when in fact on the last album Gladys recorded with the Marvelettes the leads were equally split.

midnightman
02-07-2011, 10:06 PM
^ It makes for a good story I guess.

smark21
02-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Why do they say that Wanda took over as lead vocalist when in fact on the last album Gladys recorded with the Marvelettes the leads were equally split.

Very true, though Wanda got the A sides and thus the hits that were heard so it's an understandable misperception.

loveblind
02-08-2011, 12:59 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs306.snc6/181407_1464345623406_1676482719_905850_6242107_n.j pg

That picture was indeed taken in the UK in 1967. It was used a few days ago in Horton's obituary in the Guardian newspaper published in England. Here's another from that period
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs265.snc6/179378_179625522074949_137706609600174_328016_8250 596_n.jpg

loveblind
02-08-2011, 06:33 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v356/202/79/571241907/n571241907_1558423_7434.jpg

marv2
02-08-2011, 06:39 PM
That's a very nice picture. Thanks Loveblind

theboyfromxtown
02-15-2011, 07:13 AM
David Gordon is having problems logging in and he asked me to post this for him

I was sure the girls never made it to the UK in 1967 - I would have noticed so I did a bit of digging. That photo's from 1965 -they were over here briefly on a promotional visit, that must be when those Dutch pics were taken.

You were right about Thank Your Lucky Stars - fortunately I have an episode guide which lists who was on.

AIR DATE June 26, 1965

Dusty Springfield, The Searchers, The Rolling Stones, The Marvelettes,
Solomon Burke, Them, The Pretty Things

God, I'd love to see that :) Their new single at the time was "I'll Keep On Holding On".

Dezo Hoffman, if I remember rightly, was the main photographer for
Record Mirror. A couple of years ago there was an exhibition of his
work at an art gallery in Glasgow but the publicity was all about the
real big names,Stones, Beatles etc.

Thank you Davie.

PS The Marvelettes were also on Ready Steady Go during the same visit. This will also be the time when that famous picture of them was taken with Big Ben [[that's a clock not a person!) along the Embankment...roughly about where Temple Underground station is situated.

thommg
02-15-2011, 01:55 PM
I was glad to see that Gladys made the Grammy tribute. Perhaps a first step top getting them in the Hall of Fame?

theboyfromxtown
02-15-2011, 02:17 PM
I was glad to see that Gladys made the Grammy tribute. Perhaps a first step top getting them in the Hall of Fame?

Still can't help feeling a little sad that it's all a little too late for Gladys

topdiva1
02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
My sentiments are with Top Diva on this one.

Thank you - she was ROBBED "Larry the Crooked Crook" big time - with his ill talented fake groups. - And it really hurt her and stood in the way of her being able to perform and tour easily. He is an evil greedy man.

loveblind
02-20-2011, 03:33 AM
I pray she will always be remembered!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/52
06/5368518887_2650e0a816.jpg

westlandboy
02-23-2011, 06:12 PM
This is in response to a request from Marybrewster. I found the poem "Motown Lady". It was actually written by Glady Horton and Gladys sent me a letter stating that Betty Kelly, of Martha and the Vandellas requested to read it at our Florence Ballard Exhibition back in 1991 in Westminster, California. I am including more than just the poem as I have handwritten notes from Gladys introducing the concept of the poem.
"Motown Lady: This poem was written in the year 1986 by Gladys Horton of the Marvelettes. On behalf of all of the female singers of the 60's who embraced Motown Records with their ingenious ability to really deliver those Great Messages in all those Great Songs of that time and era. "We made the whole world open their hearts and their ears and listen, sing along, and truly want to be a part of what we were doing. It was our era and I call it "Unity" in the Name of Music." Our voices helped nations to grow up in a healthy, prosperous, dedicated musically inspirational environment. Although each Motown Lady was different and unique in her own way and style. We were also so much alike, just as if we were really "ONE". All determined to work for the same "Cause". To make our mark on society and humanity an everlasting, unforgetable Legendary Age of the forever growing times in music.

And so the poem goes: "Motown Lady" You have survived!! Motown Lady I'm glad your alive. Still singing and showing how tough you are. Still glowing and showing you are the Star. Motown Lady, We can't forget just how you took a song and lit up all our dreams and hopes it seemed and how you always faced the test that made you "No Doubt" the very best. Then gave the world and all the rest of us a reason to make a quest. Yes, Motown Ladies....you inspired us all. You made us want to stand big and tall. You kept it all going, by sharing. We had to Keep Holding and Molding the future that was destined to be ours Unfolding. Motown Lady, You are quite a lady. Tho through the years you might have had to shed some tears despite the fact material things you may lack. The Greatest Gift is in "Giving Back"! The truth, the Hope and the Love and All the Joy in the Sound of "Music". "That's why Motown Lady, you shall never lose it.!!!!

That is the poem written by Gladys and delivered by Betty. I typed it with the same capitals and quotes placed in the poem by Gladys in her handwritten notes. I hope you enjoy reading this. I am very happy to have come across the poem. I also found my original interview I did with Gladys regarding the time Florence Ballard was a member of the Marvelettes filling in for Wanda Young. This was a special interview found in Alan Whites Florence Ballard Fan Club newsletter and most of the interview with Gladys was regarding the time Florence spent on tour with the Marvelletes as well as Gladys' thoughts about Florence, Mary and Diana.

theboyfromxtown
02-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Much appreciated Westlandboy. Thank you very much.

I have to say your interview was a bit of an eye opener at the time. There was an incredible amount of new information that came to light. Thank you for allowing it to be put in that newsletter.

selbmarsh2000
02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I found a pic of me and Gladys from 2001 at LA Pride.

Here's one of her on stage.

MCAntil
09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
I just stumbled upon this site and saw your post. I thought you might want to read my brief tribute to Gladys Horton, which I wrote at the time of her death. Enjoy. http://mcantil.com/r-i-p-gladys-horton/

Roger Polhill
09-17-2012, 12:00 AM
I`m saddened by this news.Farewell Gladys and thank you for those wonderful recordings which will be treasured always.R.I.P.

franjoy56
09-17-2012, 12:51 AM
I`m saddened by this news.Farewell Gladys and thank you for those wonderful recordings which will be treasured always.R.I.P.

I wanted to post some of the Marvelettes most beloved recordings with Gladys Horton on lead, as the coverage on her death was scant on tv, i saw maybe three news reports on her death on the tv.

Please Mr. Postman
Someday Someway
Playboy
Way over There
Beachwood 45789
My Daddy Knows Best
Too Many Fish In The Sea
Mix It Up
Keep Off No Trespassing
Twistin Postman
strange I know
Silly Boy.
You Can Bet Your Bottom Dollar
Johnny Behave
Tonite Was Made For Love.

arrr&bee
09-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Another legend gone,as a kid before i knew of the supremes or temps i was groovin to the sounds of[please mr.postman]from ms.gladys horton and the marvelous marvelettes,thank you ms.horton for the wonderful music and great live performances...r.i.p.

jobeterob
09-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I guess many of us forgot this happened; was a surprise to me as well.

smark21
09-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Gladys Horton died over a year and a half ago. Did you forget she died, or have you not heard the news until now when this thread got bumped to the top of the Motown forum?

jobeterob
09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I actually forgot she died...........but remembered as I read this.