PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Ultimate Christmas 2-CD

test

nathanj06
09-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Coming Nov. 3 from Real Gone with involvement from Andy & George, The Supremes Ultimate Christmas. Yet another version but looks quite interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Merry-Christmas-CD/dp/B075H4N4M3/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1505300642&sr=1-2&keywords=the+supremes

Bluebrock
09-13-2017, 07:29 AM
Coming Nov. 17 from Real Gone with involvement from Andy & George, The Supremes Ultimate Christmas. Yet another version but looks quite interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Merry-Christmas-CD/dp/B075H4N4M3/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1505300642&sr=1-2&keywords=the+supremes
This looks like a must have for the holiday season. Thank you nathanj06 .

PeaceNHarmony
09-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Indeed; quite a nice surprise. LOTS of bonus cuts.

markdtiller
09-13-2017, 08:09 AM
Including duets between Diana & Flo and Diana & Mary!

greg jones
09-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Interesting. Real Gone Music, eh! So Universal is finally allowing 3rd party companies for the Supremes. Maybe we'll also get Funny Girl, The Wiz and Baby It's Me on CD from them. I just ordered 15 cd's from Real Gone Music's sale yesterday.

Odd, that the release announcement appeared on amazon before the announcement on either Real Gone or Second Disc's websites. Amazon now says that the release will be Nov 3rd.

Andy & George had been saying that there was more unreleased from Merry Christmas. Was kind of hoping that we'd get the instrumental of Santa Baby that didn't get Diana's vocals. George hinted at several christmas music tracks that didn't get Diana vocals.

johnjeb
09-13-2017, 11:32 AM
So Universal is finally allowing 3rd party companies for the Supremes. Maybe we'll also get Funny Girl, The Wiz and Baby It's Me on CD from them.

I'm real happy about this finally being released on CD and with new unreleased material. I, also, hope we get CD releases on those other digital-only releases.

Thanks, nathanj06, for alerting us to this release.

Motown Eddie
09-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Coming Nov. 17 from Real Gone with involvement from Andy & George, The Supremes Ultimate Christmas. Yet another version but looks quite interesting.

Wow! This is Great News; thanks for sharing Nathanj!

RanRan79
09-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Not that interested in having yet another Supremes Christmas, but the duet tracks guarantee that I'll purchase this as soon as available.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-13-2017, 12:55 PM
For those of us who are Diana fans, longing for some new recordings from her, wouldn't it be something [[miraculous!) if she were to add her current-day lead vocals to those unfinished Supremes Christmas tracks!

mysterysinger
09-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Can't get excited about this one - original Motown Christmas songs are good but generally I don't get enthralled by Motown versions of carols etc. That said, Flo's "O Holy Night" is just one of the best Christmas songs anywhere, anytime. I will buy it though, because it's important to support CD releases I think and it is good to see the folks who matter are listening to that [[but never would I have bought it on download at all).

luckyluckyme
09-13-2017, 01:21 PM
It looks as if Motown/Universal has beat the bootlegger who has been having cd's manufactured & sold on ebay. He/she usually takes bonus tracks off digital releases or expanded editions as was shown on another thread {the listing of the bootleg Ballads & Blues cd}. If he/she's advertising a Supremes Merry Christmas his/hers won't have the extra post-digital release bonus tracks.

nathanj06
09-13-2017, 04:04 PM
I'm surprised I caught that as most on here are much more alert to these releases than I am. You're very welcome, glad I could help.

marv2
09-13-2017, 04:08 PM
Including duets between Diana & Flo and Diana & Mary!

There are Christmas recordings from that session with both Florence and Mary? I've had the two songs [[Silent Night and O Holy Night) that Florence recorded but did not make the original album.

RanRan79
09-13-2017, 04:33 PM
wouldn't it be something [[miraculous!) if she were to add her current-day lead vocals to those unfinished Supremes Christmas tracks!

I've thought about that before, not just with Diana but with all of the living Motown legends, cutting vocals today on Motown tracks that never received vocals back in the day. I think that would make an interesting project that might catch the public's interest.

RanRan79
09-13-2017, 04:37 PM
That said, Flo's "O Holy Night" is just one of the best Christmas songs anywhere, anytime.

It's criminal that it was left off the original album. I can think of three or four songs I would have easily replaced with "Oh Holy Night". Flo killed that.

daviddh
09-13-2017, 07:41 PM
well at least we are getting a new ross/ supremes collection. not exactly what I was hoping for......but i'll take it.
come on with Ross 78 ..think they are holding out to drive up the cost,...lol

Philles/Motown Gary
09-13-2017, 08:01 PM
I've thought about that before, not just with Diana but with all of the living Motown legends, cutting vocals today on Motown tracks that never received vocals back in the day. I think that would make an interesting project that might catch the public's interest.

Great idea, RanRan! Let's do it!!!

carlo
09-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Fantastic news! Can't wait.

sophisticated_soul
09-13-2017, 10:17 PM
A physical CD?! Finally someone listened to us. Good news.:)

Philles/Motown Gary
09-14-2017, 01:20 AM

The more I think about it, the more I like it! For starters, they could round up Diana, Mary, Martha, Betty, Rosalind, Annette, Katherine, Cal & The Velvelettes, Brenda, Kim, Smokey, Otis, Dennis, Stevie, Lionel, and Pete Rivera. And any other Motown survivors whom I may have inadvertently left out. Bring on those unfinished Motown masters!

Bluebrock
09-14-2017, 02:26 AM
For those of us who are Diana fans, longing for some new recordings from her, wouldn't it be something [[miraculous!) if she were to add her current-day lead vocals to those unfinished Supremes Christmas tracks!
A nice thought my friend, but no hope of it actually happening. The best you can hope for is an expanded "very special season" with a handful of bonus cuts from the vaults. It could yet happen.

djessie
09-14-2017, 04:48 AM
OMG! This is fantastic! I was really annoyed that there was a digital only release but now we get a CD and with all these extra tracks. I love the original album and I really cant wait to get this edition.

Hopefully this also means we will get more physical CD's, like The Wiz, Baby It's Me and Funny Girl.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-14-2017, 05:54 AM
A nice thought my friend, but no hope of it actually happening. The best you can hope for is an expanded "very special season" with a handful of bonus cuts from the vaults. It could yet happen.
Well, Bluebrock, I know you're probably right, but it's still fun to pretend, even though it would be "miraculous"!

djessie
09-14-2017, 06:09 AM
An expanded "Very Special Season" with bonus cuts would be wonderful! I wonder if the tracks from "Making Spirits Bright" could also be used as bonus tracks, to put all the Christmas recordings from that era together on one release.

Do you know of any further developments on the Motown 1989-1999 expanded editions Bluebrock?

RanRan79
09-14-2017, 08:47 AM
The more I think about it, the more I like it! For starters, they could round up Diana, Mary, Martha, Betty, Rosalind, Annette, Katherine, Cal & The Velvelettes, Brenda, Kim, Smokey, Otis, Dennis, Stevie, Lionel, and Pete Rivera. And any other Motown survivors whom I may have inadvertently left out. Bring on those unfinished Motown masters!

Agreed Phillies. All it would take is some powerful people to get behind the project. IMO that's what these kinds of ideas are always missing, someone with power and clout in the industry pushing it all together. That's really the only way you're going to get a Diana, Smokey, Stevie and Lionel to sign on. And while all those others you mentioned would probably do it no matter what, if you have the BIG names on board first, all the others will definitely be in.

PeaceNHarmony
09-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Here's a link to The Second Disc's announcement of the release:

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/09/breaking-second-disc-records-real-gone-music-unwrap-the-supremes-ultimate-merry-christmas/

thommg
09-15-2017, 01:43 PM

Bluebrock, perhaps that could happen and it will finally get a USA release! I can't believe it has never been released in the USA.

greg jones
09-15-2017, 03:57 PM

Bluerock, the projects that you've spoke of possibly happening, the expanded editions of EMI/Ross Records 1989-1999 releases, does this include releases in the US, or is it Europe only ?

greg jones
09-15-2017, 03:59 PM
This release happening, gives me hope that we'll finally also get Ross '78 Expanded, Sing H/D/H Expanded and more. Looks like those won't come until after the 1st of 2018. Plus maybe hope for the Digital only releases Funny Girl, Baby It's Me and The Wiz possibly even more Expanded when released on CD.

sophisticated_soul
09-15-2017, 05:27 PM
I wonder if the duets mentioned were recorded during the original sessions or if they are engineered like "Shake Me, Wake Me [[When It's Over)" from "Supremes A' Go-Go Expanded"? My guess is that they are engineered.

marv2
09-15-2017, 06:38 PM
I wonder if the duets mentioned were recorded during the original sessions or if they are engineered like "Shake Me, Wake Me [[When It's Over)" from "Supremes A' Go-Go Expanded"? My guess is that they are engineered.
I am curious about these duets also because I've heard people say that Mary and Florence were not involved in the "Merry Christmas" album sessions.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-15-2017, 07:21 PM
I am curious about these duets also because I've heard people say that Mary and Florence were not involved in the "Merry Christmas" album sessions.
I read that Mary and Flo are on the two 45 tracks -- "Children's Christmas Song" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me", but that's it. The rest of the album is Diana and The Andantes.

antceleb12
09-16-2017, 10:07 AM
This is amazing. I had a bootleg MP3 of Diana doing the first verse of 'Silent Night' years ago, but have since lost it. Can't wait to hear a crisp copy of it. Although, what I do remember of it was that the key was MUCH to high for Diana [[similarly to the way 'Autumn Leaves' and 'Over the Rainbow' were).

The fact that Mary is on here, too, with a lead is fantastic. Can't wait for this to come out soon enough!

luke
09-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Has there ever been an a specific explanation why Flo and Mary wernt on the album, as it was earlier in their career and during a less Andante period it seems to me

DJMoch
09-16-2017, 10:25 AM

Honestly I don't care whether they're engineered or not, given they did such an amazing job on Shake Me Wake Me. Those duets are intriguing me now. Even though we just got a [[digital) deluxe version of Merry Christmas, which I dutifully purchased at the time, I am definitely getting this one. There's too much new stuff on this to pass up.

jobeterob
09-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Has there ever been an a specific explanation why Flo and Mary wernt on the album, as it was earlier in their career and during a less Andante period it seems to me

There was never a less andante period - unless it was pre 1962 - we just didn't know; Andy always said not to ask these questions because you'll get answers you don't want

daviddh
09-16-2017, 11:41 AM
i read that the supremes were home from a tour and were to take a break but it was decided that a christmas album was a good idea and diana spent her vacation recording the christmas album

antceleb12
09-16-2017, 12:03 PM

To go off of what David said, and I believe Mary confirmed this in her book, but after their successful but exhausting run at the Copa Mary and Flo opted to take vacations and Diana continued working. But clearly Flo and Mary new the album was in the works as they all had some level of involvement in the album. The confirmation from this album of Mary having a solo confirms that all three Supremes contributed to this album in one way or another.

George Solomon
09-16-2017, 01:47 PM
I think the 2017 mix of this album is so good I don't know if I'll ever listen to the original again!

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
09-16-2017, 01:52 PM
While George is around, may I ask what Supremes songs are left in the vault that are not up to "Supreme Standards" that will never get released just for historical facts?

daviddh
09-16-2017, 02:29 PM
well I am not sure if we needed another Christmas collection but I am hopeful and a fan. I suppose we may get the rogers and hart 3rd version next.
sorry I am happy this is being released on cd for those who did not get the download version. I do find it interesting there was a Mary lead version of a christmas song. strange but nice to hear. I have eaten my words b4 but I find this a bit disappointing. was expecting something else . but I do think the release is a good sign of things to come.so therefore I am happy for all of us. i imagine this means universal motown is back on a roll.
hello George, thanks for stopping in. you are missed

Circa 1824
09-16-2017, 06:17 PM
I am ordering it today from Amazon. I love Diana's voice on Christmas songs.

Bluebrock
09-17-2017, 02:33 AM
An expanded "Very Special Season" with bonus cuts would be wonderful! I wonder if the tracks from "Making Spirits Bright" could also be used as bonus tracks, to put all the Christmas recordings from that era together on one release.

Do you know of any further developments on the Motown 1989-1999 expanded editions Bluebrock?
They are still in the works as far as i know.

Bluebrock
09-17-2017, 02:34 AM
Bluerock, the projects that you've spoke of possibly happening, the expanded editions of EMI/Ross Records 1989-1999 releases, does this include releases in the US, or is it Europe only ?
They are UK releases Greg.

TomBairdFan
09-17-2017, 07:12 AM
I'll definitely be making space on the shelf for this one [[to squeeze in among my other 50-plus Motown Christmas CDs)! Nice one, Real Gone.

sophisticated_soul
09-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Honestly I don't care whether they're engineered or not, given they did such an amazing job on Shake Me Wake Me. Those duets are intriguing me now. Even though we just got a [[digital) deluxe version of Merry Christmas, which I dutifully purchased at the time, I am definitely getting this one. There's too much new stuff on this to pass up.

After the SupreMix of LILAIIMH, the "Shake, Wake Me" duet is my favorite track on A' Go-Go Expanded. I'd like to here more engineered duets of classic Motown songs. I'm really looking forward to hearing the ones included in this project.

daviddh
09-17-2017, 02:46 PM
so Mary Wilson recorded a solo version for this album ,strange. we are getting a duet. I suppose the liner notes will explain in more detail

RanRan79
09-17-2017, 05:49 PM
I read that Mary and Flo are on the two 45 tracks -- "Children's Christmas Song" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me", but that's it. The rest of the album is Diana and The Andantes.

I don't think Flo and Mary are on either of those. They may be on "Children's Christmas Song" but they definitely aren't on "Twinkle".

RanRan79
09-17-2017, 05:54 PM
This is amazing. I had a bootleg MP3 of Diana doing the first verse of 'Silent Night' years ago, but have since lost it. Can't wait to hear a crisp copy of it. Although, what I do remember of it was that the key was MUCH to high for Diana [[similarly to the way 'Autumn Leaves' and 'Over the Rainbow' were).

The fact that Mary is on here, too, with a lead is fantastic. Can't wait for this to come out soon enough!

Years ago there was a guy who used to post often in the Flo Ballard yahoo group named DavidLovesDiana. He used to make cds of all the bootleg stuff. I always remember that one of the songs he had on his collection list was a Diana led "Silent Night". When the Christmas set was released last year I expected this version to be there and was surprised when I didn't see it. Your description of it sounding as if the key was "MUCH" too high for Diana [[and using the examples of "Autumn Leaves" and "Rainbow") is EXACTLY how I imagined it to be [[nails on a chalkboard), which is why Florence may have ended up with "Silent Night" instead.

RanRan79
09-17-2017, 05:58 PM
There was never a less andante period - unless it was pre 1962 - we just didn't know; Andy always said not to ask these questions because you'll get answers you don't want

There's a fairly recent thread where everyone pitched in to figure out what was Supremes and what was Andantes, with very little disagreement [[on the actual subject, I think the thread did eventually devolve into the usual nonsense). And there certainly does appear to be an overwhelmingly less and more Andante period of the Supremes.

RanRan79
09-17-2017, 06:02 PM
While George is around, may I ask what Supremes songs are left in the vault that are not up to "Supreme Standards" that will never get released just for historical facts?

I'd be interested in learning what is there that will never see the light of day also. I can't imagine how bad a song would have to be by the Supremes to never see a release.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-17-2017, 06:06 PM
Well, RanRan, you may very well be right. There have been so many varying theories on this, who knows what the real answer is? Just to add even more confusion to the mix, I once read where Mary admitted that when she's Christmas shopping in the mall and one of the tracks from The Supremes' "Merry Christmas" is broadcast over the store's speakers, it fills her with warm memories of the recording of that album. My gosh, which of the many theories is true? It's very possible that Mary and Flo were indeed on those sessions, but that doesn't guarantee that those back-up vocal tracks are the ones that Motown used on the final mix. Such is the magic of Motown!

Philles/Motown Gary
09-17-2017, 06:11 PM
I don't think Flo and Mary are on either of those. They may be on "Children's Christmas Song" but they definitely aren't on "Twinkle".

RanRan, I meant to reply directly to your post but replied to the thread instead. See my reply above.

RanRan79
09-17-2017, 06:46 PM
RanRan, I meant to reply directly to your post but replied to the thread instead. See my reply above.

I see ya Phillies. And I believe I read or heard Mary say that about the Supremes Christmas within the last year! You actually make a very valid point. Now to my ears [[which I think are wrong only every now and then, HA!) the released album sounds like Diana and the Andantes. But we also know that Motown productions are no stranger to overdubbing backgrounds or erasing and replacing them altogether. So the fact could be that Diana did some of her leads [[I don't believe every single song was recorded during the vacation) and the Andantes did some of the backgrounds, before Mary and Flo were brought into the project. Someone claimed in the old Flo Ballard yahoo group many moons ago that Harvey Fuqua claimed to have used double tracking on "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" with Florence [[I assume it was meaning Flo double tracked with the Andantes). I don't know how true that is, but it's possible, I guess. Obviously Flo and Mary were given the opportunity to participate in the sessions as we know Florence got two leads and now we know Mary had one also. Did they also record background vocals that were erased or removed? Until the Funny Girl re-release, I don't think we knew that Mary and Cindy recorded anything on the album, that it was all Diana and the Andantes. Now we know different.

Or maybe the wonderful memories Mary remembers when she hears those Christmas songs are the one lead she was given or the checks she cashed when the album became a hit.:o

Bluebrock
09-18-2017, 02:19 AM
i read that the supremes were home from a tour and were to take a break but it was decided that a christmas album was a good idea and diana spent her vacation recording the christmas album
This is a similar story to the one i was told back in the 80's David.

PeaceNHarmony
09-18-2017, 01:48 PM
This is the same information I have heard for years as well.

greg jones
09-27-2017, 07:50 PM
They are UK releases Greg.

Hey Bluerock,

Something else occurred to me. Since Ms. Ross' 81-87 product outside of North America was with EMI, did that pass on to Universal with 2012 buy out or did that material go with the Parlophone material to Warner Music for the rest of the world ?

Bluebrock
09-28-2017, 02:23 AM
Hey Bluerock,

Something else occurred to me. Since Ms. Ross' 81-87 product outside of North America was with EMI, did that pass on to Universal with 2012 buy out or did that material go with the Parlophone material to Warner Music for the rest of the world ?
I honestly do not know Greg. I would assume it was passed over to Universal , but it is something that i have not previously given any thought to. Interesting question actually.

Jaap
09-28-2017, 02:37 AM
I honestly do not know Greg. I would assume it was passed over to Universal , but it is something that i have not previously given any thought to. Interesting question actually.

According to the Dutch iTunes, the rights are with Parlophone, not just the RCA albums but also the 1990s Motown albums.

Bluebrock
09-28-2017, 12:53 PM
According to the Dutch iTunes, the rights are with Parlophone, not just the RCA albums but also the 1990s Motown albums.
Thank you for clearing that up Jaap.

dickiemint
09-28-2017, 07:43 PM
Been keeping an eye on this release on Amazon UK and at the moment it is a bit expensive at almost £23 [[ $30 +) don't think that I will be buying a 4 th version of this Christmas collection

Circa 1824
09-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Amazon US just dropped the price. :)

luckyluckyme
10-01-2017, 11:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_ji4v7lAQ

thanxal
10-01-2017, 02:13 PM
I’m more excited for this set than I realized. I am medium agnostic, but with all the bonus tracks on these two CDs it looks awesome. Can’t wait until Nov. 3.

RanRan79
10-01-2017, 03:45 PM
The guys sure know how to get extra money out of me. I think it was last Christmas or the Christmas before that I purchased the last Christmas set. Now I'm going to purchase it again for all the extras that weren't on the last one. Crossing my fingers that it will end up worth the price of purchase...again. Lol

thommg
10-02-2017, 10:55 AM
The last "complete" Christmas set was a download only, wasn't it? This is actually being released on CD. I'll buy it for the extra tracks, but how many times can this be released?????

George Solomon
10-02-2017, 02:15 PM
The last "complete" Christmas set was a download only, wasn't it? This is actually being released on CD. I'll buy it for the extra tracks, but how many times can this be released?????

This release was going to happen even without our input so it was best that Andy and I do what we could to make it special. We're very happy that the good folks at Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records have given it such deluxe treatment and hope that its success leads to future physical CD releases!

PeaceNHarmony
10-02-2017, 02:22 PM
This release was going to happen even without our input so it was best that Andy and I do what we could to make it special. We're very happy that the good folks at Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records have given it such deluxe treatment and hope that its success leads to future physical CD releases!
Thanks for your work on this and the other titles -

thommg
10-02-2017, 02:23 PM

George, Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records always treat their releases with great care, and, happily, they are doing the same with this one. I think I speak for many, though, when I say I hope this is the last time I need to buy the Christmas recordings!

RanRan79
10-02-2017, 02:35 PM
George, Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records always treat their releases with great care, and, happily, they are doing the same with this one. I think I speak for many, though, when I say I hope this is the last time I need to buy the Christmas recordings!

Are you telling me that you won't fork out more cash when this collection is released again after the discovery of Mary's coincidental lead on "Born of Mary"?:p

RanRan79
10-02-2017, 02:37 PM

We appreciate what you do for us Supremes fans George and Andy.

smallworld
10-02-2017, 03:20 PM
George, Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records always treat their releases with great care

Their latest Dusty Springfield release [[A Brand New Me - The Complete Philadelphia Sessions) suggests otherwise. The strings on much of the remixed main album are hideously shrill. There's even distortion present, where there wasn't previously. The flutes on "Bad Case of the Blues" are... offensive. I thought was the sound was fine on their "Faithfull" release. I'm very disappointed in the Philadelphia release.

johnny_raven
10-03-2017, 03:12 PM

Christmas comes around every year ... :)

mysterysinger
10-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Yep more tracks for re-hashing on future Motown Christmas compilations.

But wait - here's another one to be released on 27th October .....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Christmas-Various-Artists/dp/B0762FHQVH/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1507073640&sr=1-1&keywords=motown

Or is it?

danman869
10-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Funny you should mention that, smallworld [[and I'm not wanting to hijack this Supremes Xmas thread for extended criticism of Real Gone), but I was very disappointed in the remastering/mixing of the "Dusty Springfield: A Brand New Me - The Complete Philadelphia Sessions." I immediately noticed the distortion that was present on this new set and did say something about it to one of the folks at Second Disc. He sincerely appreciated my feedback and was sorry I was disappointed by the sound quality and I felt "heard" by him and not dismissed. He also promised to forward my feedback to the producer of the set and I even gave my permission for the producer to contact me to discuss it further if so desired. Not surprising, I never heard from the producer. I suppose that sound is very subjective and what might sound terrible to me sounds great to someone else--sometimes even gets rave reviews for the remastering/mixing from others. It was rather disappointing that it was promoted as a deluxe treatment being given to the tracks, but I felt that was hardly accomplished. Maybe someday someone else will take a crack at it and get it right?

To comment on this thread. I'll buy the Supremes Xmas collection...again. It's part of being a collector, in my opinion. Plus, when I know Andy and George are involved to whatever degree, the quality will already be up at a higher level.

thanxal
10-03-2017, 07:50 PM
George, I don't know if you know how much the fans [[e.g. "us") appreciate all you and Andy and Kevin and Harry do for us. But I can tell you it is more than you can ever know. Simply put, you all preserve the collective cultural memory of America. No small thing at all.

thommg
10-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Dan, I have to say that I didn't buy the Dusty Springfield set so I can't speak to that set. The recent sets that I've gotten - Laura Nyro, Ann-Margret, Melissa Manchester, Johnny Mathis - have all been wonderfully done. Of course, a lot of them have Joe Marchese involved and you can add his name to Andy & George as releasing quality stuff.

kenneth
10-04-2017, 11:12 AM
I didn't buy the Dusty Springfield sets that Real Gone put out either, as I already have most of the rare tracks on the Rhino reissues from the 90s and some other sets on her. I considered it though, because Real Gone touted that these were the albums "as originally intended" and also in their marketing materials they were critical of the sound on some of the Rhino stuff. I found that hard to believe, because I think Rhino usually used the best source material available. But if the Real Gone sets really haven't upped the ante any, I won't buy them.

Generally, my experience with Real Gone has been that they have great mastering and transfers, so this criticism is kind of surprising.

smallworld
10-04-2017, 02:11 PM
I have a few sets from Real Gone - Barbara Lewis, Timi Yuro. Nothing jumped out at me as sounding bad on them. As mentioned, I enjoyed the sound on the "Faithfull" Dusty Springfield set. I'd describe it as slightly smoother than the sound of the same tracks on the Rhino "Dusty In Memphis" from the late 1990s. It's funny because Rhino mastering has sometimes been criticised for being too bright and yet here we have the shrill sound on much of the "Philadelphia Sessions" CD...

I suppose that sound is very subjective and what might sound terrible to me sounds great to someone else--sometimes even gets rave reviews for the remastering/mixing from others. It was rather disappointing that it was promoted as a deluxe treatment being given to the tracks, but I felt that was hardly accomplished. Maybe someday someone else will take a crack at it and get it right?

While I agree that one's experience of sound is subjective, the presence of audio distortion is a pretty objective marker that something went wrong in the remixing and/or mastering process. The advance promotion credited Tom Moulton but the packaging credits Ted Carfrae. I wonder if that switcheroo has any significance.

I tried to give the remix a chance. I even listened to it with several sets of headphones - some of which have the highs rolled off more than others - no joy. I don't consider myself an audiophile. And I don't generally complain about brightness. I grew up in the CD/Digital era, so my frame of reference has little to do with the expectations based on original vinyl sound.

I expect what Mercury/Universal UK will do is that they'll fix some of these remixes and dribble them out on several more rounds of Dusty Springfield compilations... That tactic makes my blood boil but que sera sera.

To bring the subject back to the upcoming Supremes X-Mas set. I'm expect the sound will be fine. I doubt the artwork will compare favourably with the recent A'Go-Go Expanded - Real Gone clearly don't allocate much of a budget for graphic design. With diminished expectations in that area, I expect most buyers will be satisfied.

carlo
10-29-2017, 09:37 AM
Bumping up this thread as a reminder that this glorious set is being released this week! For all of us Canadian fans...this release is finally up on Amazon Canada for pre-order.

thanxal
10-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Mine ships Wednesday. Just in time for Christmas music season!

Circa 1824
10-29-2017, 06:16 PM
I can’t wait for mine to arrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longtimefan
10-29-2017, 07:53 PM

gman
10-30-2017, 11:27 PM
I may buy this...my first copy I got in 1968 [[?) and I believe White Christmas and Silver Bells had no background vocals whatsoever.
I cant be certain but I think it was Mono...when I replaced it in the 80's with the Natural Resources [[?) issue I immediately felt like my ears were being assaulted...I prefer the "solo" takes. My 2 favs here
are Born Of Mary and Twinkle Twinkle Little Me...and to me it sounds like Mary and Flo are on those 2

marybrewster
10-31-2017, 01:49 AM
I odered my copy direct from Real Gone [[in my mind, this is a sure fire way to let the company know this is selling!); ordered it Monday night and it shipped on Tuesday! And was even cheaper than Amazon! Let the holidays begin!

Circa 1824
10-31-2017, 05:44 AM
I odered my copy direct from Real Gone [[in my mind, this is a sure fire way to let the company know this is selling!); ordered it Monday night and it shipped on Tuesday! And was even cheaper than Amazon! Let the holidays begin!

That is a fantastic idea. RealGone music is owned by two Ohio boys.

I just canceled my Amazon order and ordered directly with RealGone music. I also ordered the Andy Williams Christmas collection, Fred Waring Christmas, and the Connie Smith Christmas CD.

carlo
10-31-2017, 03:15 PM

Yes, definitely a good option for those of you residing in the States. For those of us elsewhere, such as myself, I tend to try and order online from websites within my own country to avoid duties/import fees, otherwise it gets to be quite pricey. However, I am very happy this is coming out. Any Supremes reissue on CD will get my full support :)

lakeside
10-31-2017, 03:29 PM
http://www.importcds.com/the-ultimate-merry-christmas/848064006428

Pretty good price from importcd's.

luckyluckyme
11-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Joy & dread.
My copy just arrived today. I opened the package and began by reading the Disc 2 Track-by-track with Andrew Skurow and George Solomon. Quite informative as usual.
And the reveal that the complete 1967 Copa Show would be part of the Holland-Dozier-Holland Expanded Edition [[coming soon from Motown/UMe)!
I thought I would listen to disc 2 first , beginning with the duets. I went to take that disc from the digipak and horrors. It was so tight in the holder . I tried to gently pry it away and then even though I was trying to be as gentle as possible , it cracked. I have never had that happen before.
I am heartsick. I'm sure that I will obtain a replacement when requested.
However , I do hope that no-one else's cd's are as difficult to remove.
So, please be careful.
After working even more gingerly to remove disc 1, I am now listening to the mono versions.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Joy & dread.
My copy just arrived today. I opened the package and began by reading the Disc 2 Track-by-track with Andrew Skurow and George Solomon. Quite informative as usual.
And the reveal that the complete 1967 Copa Show would be part of the Holland-Dozier-Holland Expanded Edition [[coming soon from Motown/UMe)!
I thought I would listen to disc 2 first , beginning with the duets. I went to take that disc from the digipak and horrors. It was so tight in the holder . I tried to gently pry it away and then even though I was trying to be as gentle as possible , it cracked. I have never had that happen before.
So, please be careful.
After working even more gingerly to remove disc 1, I am now listening to the mono versions.

My heart goes out to you, luckyluckyme. I've had that happen twice [[in one sitting, no less) and it's sickening. I don't know why the CDs are suddenly being manufactured so tight on the hub this year, but it's becoming more and more frequent with more and more releases.

Between my good Motown buddy Kenneth and I, we came up with a semi-solution to help prevent this problem from happening:

1) When removing the CD from its hub, use your thumb to press as hard as you can on the hub itself while removing the disc. This tends to release some of the pressure on the disc.

2) Think of the disc as a clock with numbers 12 o'clock), 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. While pressing on the hub with your thumb, simultaneously use your fingers to gently-but-firmly lift the disc at the 12 and 3 o'clock positions. Or at the 9 and 12 o'clock position. Any two combinations should work as long as the two positions are next to each other. DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE DISC AT THE 12 AND 6 O'CLOCK POSITIONS NOR THE 3 AND 9 O'CLOCK POSITIONS. It puts too much pressure on the disc and will guarantee breakage. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience!

I hope this helps. Musically speaking, there is nothing more heartbreaking than a CD breaking -- especially a Motown CD!

sophisticated_soul
11-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Joy & dread.
So, please be careful.

Thanks for the heads up. I will take care when removing the discs. It's only happen to me a few times, but I too have cracked a new CD trying to remove it from the case. I've also cracked a couple older CDs the same way.:[[

greg jones
11-03-2017, 03:19 PM

Hey George and/or Andy... can you tell us what other songs were recorded for this that did NOT get vocals ? I have heard Winter Wonderland and Santa Baby. Were there other ? Were these Christmas songs all done around that 1965 timeline ? They recorded that one Disney Christmas song in 1967, did they record any other Christmas in 1966 to 1969 ?

Thanks for all your hard work on these. Looking forward to picking up my copy at Amoeba in Hollywood this weekend.

johnjeb
11-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Think of the disc as a clock with numbers 12 o'clock), 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. While pressing on the hub with your thumb, simultaneously use your fingers to gently-but-firmly lift the disc at the 12 and 3 o'clock positions. Or at the 9 and 12 o'clock position. Any two combinations should work as long as the two positions are next to each other. DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE DISC AT THE 12 AND 6 O'CLOCK POSITIONS NOR THE 3 AND 9 O'CLOCK POSITIONS. It puts too much pressure on the disc and will guarantee breakage. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience!

I will have to try this method, thanks.

I had trouble with the new Brenda Holloway Spellbound CDs. What I did was to place all five fingers on the CD and turn or rotate the CD back and forth while pulling-up gently on the CD. This seemed to work. Maybe it's just a variation on what you suggest. Hopefully either one or both methods help someone.

Jimi LaLumia
11-03-2017, 04:38 PM
#191 on the Amazon Sales Chart! ..the girls can still move product as they say in the music biz! and yes, the CDs are tight in the package so press down on the center holder until the CD comes loose don't try and grip it out! I've learned from past experience; listening to my just arrived copy right now!

thanxal
11-03-2017, 04:38 PM
I.AM.SO.HAPPY with this set! I expected a plain two disc box but it is EXACTLY like a Universal expanded edition. Same type of packaging, but in addition, it has a Motown replica label, which has not been the case for some of the Universal expanded editions. If we can get more of these licensing arrangements to get more expanded editions out, then I say do so. [[I assume this was a licensing agreement with RealGone and not that they are a subsidiary).

daviddh
11-03-2017, 06:17 PM
I did hear that Sing HDH was almost done. I think it was originally released in January 67.....hmmmm 50 years flew by

sup_fan
11-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Once again a great set. Got mine today and of course went immediately to the new tracks. Mary's lead on Christmas Song is frankly one of her best. Especially from the 60s. She sings w a wonderfully full voice and phrasing. It would have been great to hear her full version on this song.

Frankly I'm not as much of a fan of these manufactured duets. But I'll take them over missing out altogether on a track. It does make me wonder if the Mary track on Christmas Song and Diana track on Silent were either incomplete or perhaps some glitches in the vocal that make the producers not want to release. I know that some fans like to throw dirt onto one Sup or another saying they can't sing. I wouldn't be opposed to getting tracks w errors or missed notes or problems. I think they'd be fascinating views into their recording process

bradsupremes
11-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Once again a great set. Got mine today and of course went immediately to the new tracks. Mary's lead on Christmas Song is frankly one of her best. Especially from the 60s. She sings w a wonderfully full voice and phrasing. It would have been great to hear her full version on this song.

Frankly I'm not as much of a fan of these manufactured duets. But I'll take them over missing out altogether on a track. It does make me wonder if the Mary track on Christmas Song and Diana track on Silent were either incomplete or perhaps some glitches in the vocal that make the producers not want to release. I know that some fans like to throw dirt onto one Sup or another saying they can't sing. I wouldn't be opposed to getting tracks w errors or missed notes or problems. I think they'd be fascinating views into their recording process

Diana's vocal was incomplete for "Silent Night." The booklet says Mary did a gentle scratch vocal on "The Christmas Song." She probably had some vocal glitches preventing them from releasing a complete vocal, but I think the duets are great especially the ending of "Silent Night."

vgalindo
11-03-2017, 10:25 PM
I did hear that Sing HDH was almost done. I think it was originally released in January 67.....hmmmm 50 years flew by
Andy posted a picture on Facebook of him holding a copy of HDH expanded edition. So I believe they are just waiting for a release date.

11-03-2017, 11:35 PM
And where is this rare and hard to find picture of Andy posing with H/D/H Expanded? :D

jobeterob
11-03-2017, 11:48 PM
And where is this rare and hard to find picture of Andy posing with H/D/H Expanded? :D

It definitely is on Facebook

luckyluckyme
11-04-2017, 12:12 AM
Do you mean this one?
And with George holding the original mono album master tape....

longtimefan
11-04-2017, 12:24 AM
Is that the Holland-Dozier-Holland EXPANDED EDITION or one of the Japanese cardboard sleeve editions?

vgalindo
11-04-2017, 12:32 AM
Do you mean this one?
And with George holding the original mono album master tape....
Yes this is the picture. Thank you

vgalindo
11-04-2017, 12:33 AM
Is that the Holland-Dozier-Holland EXPANDED EDITION or one of the Japanese cardboard sleeve editions?
This is the expanded edition.

luckyluckyme
11-04-2017, 12:34 AM
In the comment section, it is identified as a mock-up.

longtimefan
11-04-2017, 12:46 AM

Thanks, Lucky. I thought maybe it was done and ready to "hit the streets" now. I guess it won't be for a while.

vgalindo
11-04-2017, 12:50 AM
Yes. It is a mock-up of the Expanded edition which Andy said would be coming in the new year. They are about finished with the project.

daviddh
11-04-2017, 11:57 AM
got my cd and its cracked.....damn......I was so excited to see it here today but I cant listen to it

dickiemint
11-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Ok I have folded and ordered on line, from import CD it was only $19 + $7 shipping which is still cheaper than Amazon UK and they are now saying between one to two months for shipping I hope mine arrives in time for Christmas if not ive got 3 other versions to listen too !!

DJMoch
11-07-2017, 01:32 AM
I got it in the mail today, and mercifully I didn't end up cracking either disc getting them out of the package. First thing I wanted to listen to was the two duets. brilliant! beautifully done! Gonna listen to the 2017 mixes tomorrow on my way to work. Can't wait to hear 'em!

sophisticated_soul
11-07-2017, 04:51 AM
Rec’d my copy yesterday. Thanks to the heads up, I was very careful about removing the discs from the tray and happily managed not to crack them. They were on there pretty tight.

Real Gone has done real great on this set, packaging, photos, annotation, and sound quality all home runs. And you get every known Supremes’ Christmas recording in existence!

Having listened to all three versions of the album on this collection, I find myself going back to the mono version. It was the version I grew up with and “Merry Christmas” was one of the last Supremes albums I replaced with the stereo version. I didn’t like the stereo version as much but eventually got used of it.

Perhaps I’ll appreciate the 2017 mix more after a few listens. Right now I find too many of the alternate takes inferior. The vocal on the alternate “Children’s Christmas Song” is so less charming IMO. The loud and pounding “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” is so much less so on the alternate. The vocal intro and abrupt ending on the alternate “My Favorite Things” take away from what was already a near perfect recording. I did like some of the new mixes, especially “Silver Bells” and “Twinkle Twinkle Little Me”. And I love the duets that never were!

And I really love that this is a physical release. Thank You Real Gone.:)

thanxal
11-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Perhaps I’ll appreciate the 2017 mix more after a few listens. Right now I find too many of the alternate takes inferior. The vocal on the alternate “Children’s Christmas Song” is so less charming IMO. The loud and pounding “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” is so much less so on the alternate. The vocal intro and abrupt ending on the alternate “My Favorite Things” take away from what was already a near perfect recording. I did like some of the new mixes, especially “Silver Bells” and “Twinkle Twinkle Little Me”. And I love the duets that never were!

And I really love that this is a physical release. Thank You Real Gone.:)
I really loved the alternate mix on My Favorite Things. I think at this point, though, I'm predisposed to prefer any alternate take just because I've listened to the original tracks so many times that anything different is exciting. As I said in another thread, Mary blew me away in her duet.

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Wish this had been released digitally as well. Looks like I'm forced to skip this release. [[Now I see how it feels when you anti-digitals don't get a physical release. I'll forever sympathize with your pain in new understanding.)

vgalindo
11-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Received my copy yesterday and I am listening to disc 2 right now and love it. What a beautiful package. I hope one day they will do the same for Funny Girl. Thank you Andy, George, and Real gone music.

jobeterob
11-07-2017, 02:56 PM
I ordered one last night; I'm happy to have a physical CD that I did not make.

My only disappointment in all of this is that I find I am not playing these CDS as much as I would have years ago - I'm not sure why. I think part of it is that I have Sirius in my truck and so don't listen to CDs in it. I've heard that new vehicles do have CD players in them this year.

I'm glad to have these in whatever form - but CD is my preference.

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 03:40 PM
CDs are great but nearly all of my music listening is done on my laptop music collection, or my ipod. I have a disk driver that stopped working for some reason and so I cant play cds or upload them to my laptop. I have a stereo with cd player but I'm so used to being on my laptop working and having whatever I want at my fingertips. This sucks.

sansradio
11-07-2017, 04:59 PM
CDs are great but nearly all of my music listening is done on my laptop music collection, or my ipod. I have a disk driver that stopped working for some reason and so I cant play cds or upload them to my laptop. I have a stereo with cd player but I'm so used to being on my laptop working and having whatever I want at my fingertips. This sucks.

My music listening habits are identical to yours, RanRan.
My laptop's disc drive also conked out on me years ago, but I bought an external drive for about a hundred bucks. Was your disc drive external?

thanxal
11-07-2017, 05:20 PM

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/LG/P60NS50/
Works on Mac or Winders. Less than the cost of one new Expanded Edition CD set.

jobeterob
11-07-2017, 05:46 PM
You guys are clearly younger! Sad for me!

DJMoch
11-07-2017, 05:51 PM
I tend to rip my CDs onto my computer. I still have an iPod Classic that is my exclusive source of my music collection. Once I rip discs they sit and collect dust. That’s why I don’t mind digital formats. I can buy lossless files that are pretty much CD quality. And that’s good enough for me.

thanxal
11-07-2017, 06:23 PM
I tend to rip my CDs onto my computer. I still have an iPod Classic that is my exclusive source of my music collection. Once I rip discs they sit and collect dust. That’s why I don’t mind digital formats. I can buy lossless files that are pretty much CD quality. And that’s good enough for me.
I rip everything onto my iMac and then tend not to touch the CDs again. My iMac is wired straight to my home audio [[with proper interference filters, of course). I do a Time Machine backup regularly. Even SSD drives can crash. iPod Classics have a spinning hard drive and they are failing at phenomenal rates now.

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 08:01 PM
My music listening habits are identical to yours, RanRan.
My laptop's disc drive also conked out on me years ago, but I bought an external drive for about a hundred bucks. Was your disc drive external?

No Sans, my drive was internal. It never crossed my mind to look into buying an external one. Thanks for the suggestion.

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 08:05 PM
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/LG/P60NS50/
Works on Mac or Winders. Less than the cost of one new Expanded Edition CD set.

Thanks Thanxal. I don't know why these kinds of options didn't occur to me.

Circa 1824
11-07-2017, 08:06 PM
On the duet, the first notes Wilson blurts out are “The turkey....”.

Hahahaha. I thought "Is that an intentional cruel joke?"

RanRan79
11-07-2017, 08:08 PM

That may not be true Rob. Lots of older folks are very tech savvy. I'm on the edge of younger, but my tech skills are sub par compared to the average person my age. At least I think so.

sansradio
11-07-2017, 09:08 PM
No Sans, my drive was internal. It never crossed my mind to look into buying an external one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ain’t no thang, buddy. I couldn’t survive without my external drive! In fact, I’m on my second one! [[The majority of my music purchases are physical and used; saves on the iTunes bill!)

sansradio
11-07-2017, 09:22 PM

That’s funny. I’m on the older side of younger, if you will. Older than RanRan, for sure!

My mom became incredibly tech-savvy in her mid-70s, so much so that she’d advise me on tech stuff! As Miss Ross would say, “It’s never too late!”

antceleb12
11-07-2017, 09:58 PM
I hijacked my sister's Prime account yesterday and ordered my copy, to be delivered tomorrow! I could not be more excited for this release! I remember hearing Diana's half-rendition of "Silent Night" years ago but lost my copy. It'll be nice to hear it in clean form. Mary's track is a REAL treat that I can't wait for...

vgalindo
11-07-2017, 11:23 PM
I really enjoyed disc 2. I really like the Diana and Florence duet. It is really nice and beautiful. I am also so glad to have this released on CD.

luckyluckyme
11-08-2017, 06:37 PM
I received my replacement copy today and Halleluia!. The discs were tight but not impossible to remove. I used the method Phillies/Motown Gary shared and was extremely careful [[thank you, thank you, thank you, sir) and could finally enjoy the 2nd disc.
First impression of the 2017 mixes of the original album- Diana Ross Sings La'Orchestra or more appropriately LA'orchestra. The now upfront orchestral arrangements were simply fantastic.
I can also appreciate that the Diana/Mary duet was constructed in the manner it was because only some portions of Mary's version were usable [Is this one of those songs on which there were notes that were less than supreme, to paraphrase the Lost & Found booklet] , but I could just/couldn't imagine the Diana & Mary tradeoff "Everybody knows [[was waiting to hear 'take it, Mary" LOL). It still is a bit jarring even after several listens. I also realize that something similar applies to Diana's involvement in the Flo/Diana Silent Night duet.
I miss not having Flo's a-cappella first verse of Silent Night included in the Ultimate Merry Christmas; so I'll treasure the Never Before-Released mix all the more.
All in all a wonderful work. Congratulations to all involved and thank you most kindly.

helga
11-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Did anyone else's digi-pack have white scuffing as well as small green ink stains? Mine also has an obnoxious barcode sticker over top of the original barcode, covering up some of the tracklisting. One of my CD's may also be partially cracked underneath towards the inner spindle. [[Sigh). I had a similar quality issue with the A Go Go release as well and had to wait for an exchange. I guess I will need to do the same again for this one.

luckyluckyme
11-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Did anyone else's digi-pack have white scuffing as well as small green ink stains? Mine also has an obnoxious barcode sticker over top of the original barcode, covering up some of the tracklisting. One of my CD's may also be partially cracked underneath towards the inner spindle. [[Sigh). I had a similar quality issue with the A Go Go release as well and had to wait for an exchange. I guess I will need to do the same again for this one.

No scuffing or green ink stains here, but I did wonder about the oversized barcode replacing the original on my copy as well as yours. I'm not sure about the rationale for that. Perhaps Real Gone's representative may be able to respond here.
I feel your pain with the cracked cd.

bradsupremes
11-08-2017, 10:21 PM
These 2017 mixes are incredible. I love the Andantes to the moon and back, but they sounded very muffled on this album for some reason. It didn't quite sound like them. It kinda dragged down the tracks. I like how they scaled them back and used them when needed. It makes the album more enjoyable. The orchestrations sound so fresh too.

daviddh
11-11-2017, 10:05 AM
just got mine , will be listening all day....looks beautiful. the mixing is great. love how the sound pops. will listen to the duets again. not sure how I feel but was surprised by Marys vocal. nice.
great job and thanks to everyone who brought us this collection

helga
11-14-2017, 09:10 PM
While I am loving the music, I am disappointed with the lack of quality control. I returned my original set for another one, which arrived last night. One of my CD's arrived with a deep scratch and luckily it plays fine. The back of my new digi-pack still has some wear, I'm assuming due to the last minute UPC sticker that had to be added after the manufacturing process? The photo on the left inside panel is also not the best quality. I get that in many instances, it's a matter of not having a certain photo available in better quality and a choice is made between including it or not at all, but it's kinda surprising that this wouldn't be available in better quality, since it could have been at least scanned in high resolution from the back cover of the original album. The top right corner of that same photo also has a noticeable rectangular shape pasted over top of the original image, likely to obscure whatever original text/graphic was there...but it is something that could have been easily fixed with a good photoshop job. Again, I understand that different choices are made when a project is being pieced together, but some of these things could have certainly been avoided, regardless of whatever budget was available. It just looks plain sloppy. I know some fans on here will disagree and are grateful to have this at any cost, even if it means coming in a stained paper bag. As someone who works hard for their money, I would appreciate some quality in return, especially in light of the fact that the previous releases were handled with the utmost care and quality, for the most part. Just my two cents. Sorry to rain on the parade. I believe consumer input is important. If this is a sign of what is to come, I would rather opt for digital from here on out.

vgalindo
11-15-2017, 01:21 AM
I don't have any complaints about the packaging. My copy was absolutely beautiful. I can not thank Andy, George and Real gone music enough and welcome many more to come.

dickiemint
11-15-2017, 12:08 PM
My copy arrived today only 9 days after a ordering and I am impressed so far thank you Real Gone Music and fantastic service from import CD s let's get festive!!!

nathanj06
11-15-2017, 01:22 PM
The added bar code sticker is really a turn off for whatever reason. And yes as we've seen, the cd's are so tight and that could be corrected. They could have even used a "pocket" type to slide the cd into. It's a beautiful set but as several have mentioned, whoever is inspecting these for final approval need to look a little deeper at details.

vgalindo
11-15-2017, 01:48 PM
The added bar code sticker is really a turn off for whatever reason. And yes as we've seen, the cd's are so tight and that could be corrected. They could have even used a "pocket" type to slide the cd into. It's a beautiful set but as several have mentioned, whoever is inspecting these for final approval need to look a little deeper at details.
My copy doesn't have an added bar code sticker. I wonder why some do?

nathanj06
11-16-2017, 01:12 PM
We Supremes fans are a particular lot...:) However, I just slowly peeled the bar code sticker off successfully with a small amount of residue. The sticker on top says: 8 48064 00642 8
The bar code underneath reads:
8 48064 00644 2

Maybe for shipment to another country? Who knows. Very slight difference.

helga
11-16-2017, 04:36 PM
I tried to take my sticker off and it started to rip thedigi-pack underneath…

helga
11-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Okay, I don't want to be a complete downer for this discussion. I gotta say that I love the new duets! I wonder if these extra vocals were recently unearthed and that is why they were not included on the digital release? Either way, they are very nice.

I also like the new cover art using the original photo :)

sansradio
12-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Bump: I just unwrapped my copy! I’m pleasantly surprised at the amount of new material/mixes on this set! The packaging and photos are indeed wonderful. Also, no issues with the CDs sticking. My old man did good!

12-09-2017, 01:10 PM
My copy doesn't have an added bar code sticker. I wonder why some do?

Mine didn't either and I ordered mine through Barnes and Nobles. Only took 3 days as opposed to 5-7 through Amazon.

PeaceNHarmony
12-12-2017, 03:50 PM
I'm loving my copy and am greatly happy to have been able to purchase an official physical version of this wonderful music. Thanks to all involved.

daviddh
12-12-2017, 07:24 PM
ok I am ready for Sing HDH