PDA

View Full Version : Marvin & Tammi [[worth another look)

test

luckyluckyme
09-09-2017, 09:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPhI6pOEd9k

copley
09-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Simply the best Motown duo ever :)

TomatoTom123
09-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Oh wow, I must have watched this clip YEARS ago before I knew anything about Motown... and it's still as brilliant as ever! Wonderful :D

Boogiedown
09-12-2017, 02:29 AM
when I compare that performance with this practiced one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg

it seems like Marvin isn't fully present , he has forgotten their rehearsed movements, arms up, arms down, arms across the middle, etc., such that Tammi sort of gives up on them as Marvin only partially carries them out. In the official video Marvin gently takes Tammi's hands for the line "if you ever need a helping hand", - On the live performance , she sort of forcibly grabs his and jerks it [[wake up stupid!) Does she sort of growl at him too?? lol!
OK maybe its my imagination, but to me they seem to be off, not in sync on stage , and I''ll blame Marvin . [[although vocally both deliver their parts well)

Never cared for their version of the song , loud shouting, odd song change in the center of the song [[no wind no rain) , and I think the title should just be "AIN'T NO" , bad grammar on steroids!!:o:p

As it stood, it would likely remain one of my all-time least favorite Motown songs , had it not been recrafted so masterfully years later . The song then becomes one of carefully executed perfection , and winds up instead as one of my very favorites, from Motown and beyond.:cool:
It's a great study on how a song's treatment can vary so greatly.

Has there ever been any discussion on this? Anything from Valerie? Why Ashford and Simpson revisited it? They must have felt the Gaye /Terrell version didn't fully capture the songs potential , even while becoming a top twenty hit, it just wasn't all it could be. [[#19 ain't no number high enough!) They knew there was something more there. Thank goodness they dusted it off for another try!

TomatoTom123
09-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Hey boogie, I get what you mean about Marvin looking a bit off. I kinda noticed that too. Especially when Tammi yanked Marvin's hand into hers!

However, I love their version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"...! I am kinda sick of hearing it though, having played and heard it so many times. I love Diana's version too but again I've heard it too many times for me to keep looooving it.

I do like the song change mid way through howevs... gives the track a little more oomph! And even though I reckon I have OCD I don't seem to have a problem with the song title, so that's good :D

BigAl
09-12-2017, 08:18 PM
I think the title should just be "AIN'T NO" , bad grammar on steroids!!
Conversely, I always thought the title should have been, "No Mountain High Enough," leaving off the "Ain't," since that's contained in the lyric anyway.

Boogiedown
09-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Hey boogie, I get what you mean about Marvin looking a bit off. I kinda noticed that too. Especially when Tammi yanked Marvin's hand into hers!
ah , good ! So it's not totally my imagination !

However, I love their version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"...! I am kinda sick of hearing it though, having played and heard it so many times. I love Diana's version too but again I've heard it too many times for me to keep looooving it.

Oh dear you've become Motown jaded Tom Tom .:eek: No wonder you can be enthralled with Gary Glenn :p:p

I do like the song change mid way through howevs... gives the track a little more oomph!
I love the way that part is reworked in the later version . Here it seems disjointed imo. It almost sounds like they're singing a medley.

And even though I reckon I have OCD I don't seem to have a problem with the song title, so that's good :D
Ya
I reckon the title is OK as is :cool:

BigAl:
Conversely, I always thought the title should have been, "No Mountain High Enough," leaving off the "Ain't," since that's contained in the lyric anyway.
Fair enough .
It's just whenever I play this version in my own head, what I hear is "ain't no , ain't no, ain't no, ain't no , ain't no....":rolleyes:

TomatoTom123
09-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Oh dear you've become Motown jaded Tom Tom .:eek: No wonder you can be enthralled with Gary Glenn :p:p

Oh my, that's it, boogie! Overplayed and overheard.

But lay off Garry Glenn, LOL

I love the way that part is reworked in the later version . Here it seems disjointed imo. It almost sounds like they're singing a medley.

I do love the build-up in Diana's rendition... but it works well in the original too IMO :)

Levi Stubbs Tears
09-15-2017, 08:53 PM
Great to see this live clip for the first time - thanks for posting :)