PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about name formalities

test

soulster
01-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I see a lot of people on this forum use "Miss" in front of a woman's name. Where I come from, this is not done, not required, or even a learned etiquette. I am a baby-boomer, so this has nothing to do with generational differences.

Why do you guys do this, and is it derived from some sort of southern tradition or something?

I'm just curious. Edumacate me, man!

abfan
01-26-2011, 06:05 PM
uhmmmm not married, unattached maybe. unlike Mrs. so and so

ms_m
01-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Abfan a million years ago [[or so it seems) Miss was the etiquette of the day according to the rules of Emily Post[[ the etiquette go to guru) for an unmarried woman. When feminism hit the scene it went to Ms. Now I'm guessing it's more about personal preference than anything else.

soulster
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
uhmmmm not married, unattached maybe. unlike Mrs. so and so

But, why add "Miss"? For example, when talking about Mary Wells, why would people here write "Miss Wells"? Why not just say Mary Wells? That's what she's professionally known as.

ralpht
01-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Basically, it is simply a matter of old fasioned manners, Soul, that seems to disappeared like so much that was good not that long ago. Look at it as a term of respect.

skooldem1
01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I hear people say Miss..[[insert first name) all the time. With older people I think its for respect, but a little less formal than saying Mrs. [[last name). Saying Miss [[first name) gives you a chance to be respectful and also allows you to say their first name [[did that all make sense?). IMO when referring to a younger girl/lady as Miss so and so, I think its because so many of these young woman act so grown nowdays.

Starguard4
01-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Imagine, back in the day, at the record store, asking for "Miss Wells' latest single"... LOL

stephanie
01-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Well when the Big Hurt came out it was Miss Toni Fisher...LOL I remember 20 years ago a friend of mine would kill me if didnt call Brenda Lee ..MISS Brenda Lee.

MotownSteve
01-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Many times I've heard recording artists introduced as 'Mr.' or 'Miss' at live performances. I'm not sure why.

Doug-Morgan
01-26-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm going to assume The Singing Rage, Miss Patti Page was called that even after her marriage to Charles O'Curran in 1956. I would assume that singers tended to keep their maiden [[or stage) name even after marriage. I've never heard of Mary Wells being introduced as Mrs. Mary Griffin so I'd assume the "Miss" goes with the stage name.

soulster
01-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Basically, it is simply a matter of old fasioned manners, Soul, that seems to disappeared like so much that was good not that long ago. Look at it as a term of respect.

Hey Ralph, I understand that, but I was wondering if there was something more to it. I mean, why be so formal on an informal internet board? It's just that from where I sit, it seems that saying "Miss" must have some southern connection to it.

Don't get me wrong: I was raised to say "mam" and "sir", "thank you", to open doors for women, and all that, but never to say "Miss ______" to absolutely anyone. And, using it with a first name is very foreign to me, in fact, I think it's a tad bizarre. I was raised to say "Miss", "Mrs., ans "Mr.", just like anyone else above a certain age, but at some point, it went out of fashion. Nowadays, when you say these salutations, people get mighty insulted! They do! It's akin to calling someone old and feeble. And, when I do say "mam" or "sir" people either think I was either raised in the south, or in the military. It's not a bad thing for it to no longer be correct to use a formal salutation, it's just a different world.

Anyway, just wanted to know. I was raised in the 60s and 70s out here in the west, in a predominately White military town.

arrr&bee
01-27-2011, 06:25 PM
hey ralph, i understand that, but i was wondering if there was something more to it. I mean, why be so formal on an informal internet board? It's just that from where i sit, it seems that saying "miss" must have some southern connection to it.

Don't get me wrong: I was raised to say "mam" and "sir", "thank you", to open doors for women, and all that, but never to say "miss ______" to absolutely anyone. And, using it with a first name is very foreign to me, a tad bizarre. I was raised to say "miss", "mrs., ans "mr.", just like anyone else above a certain ages, but at some point, it became out of fashion. Nowadays, when you say these salutations, people get mighty insulted! They do! It's akin to calling someone old and feeble. And, when i say "mam" or "sir" people either think i was raised in the south, or in the military.

Anyway, just wanted to know. I was raised in the 60s and 70s out here in the west, in a predominately white military town.hey soulster there are folk to whom etiquette is everything,not wanting to get too personal sort of keeping others at arms lenth,james brown was like that in his dealings i know of folks i've known for years who will only address me by my sir name and insist that i do the same[no biggie for me]!

soulster
01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
hey soulster there are folk to whom etiquette is everything,not wanting to get too personal sort of keeping others at arms lenth,james brown was like that in his dealings i know of folks i've known for years who will only address me by my sir name and insist that i do the same[no biggie for me]!

What can I say? I just grew up in a different world, and I do seem to be younger than the majority of this forum.

ralpht
01-27-2011, 09:16 PM
No big deal, Soulster. It's a matter of choice. Your civility is obvious here, which I appreciate.

soulster
01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
No big deal, Soulster. It's a matter of choice. Your civility is obvious here, which I appreciate.

To be otherwise is not in my nature, but everyone can be provoked. I just had a curious question about something I find somewhat odd, especially in this day and time.

Thanks for all the responses.