PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross - The Nitty Gritty [[Live at the Grove/1970) [UNRELEASED]

test

Ian Scarlet
09-03-2017, 09:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkz8cTNe0qs

I hope you enjoy it!

blackguy69
09-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Interesting take on it.

PeaceNHarmony
09-04-2017, 08:26 AM
Sure did - I attended one of the performances at the Waldorf Astoria's Empire Room. It was an unforgettable experience. NG led into 'Reflections' - which ended with a mirror-ball and spotlight on Diana's mirrored gown. A moment, to be sure.

luke
09-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Sorry. Diana Ross is no Gladys Knight. Yuk

marv2
09-04-2017, 04:35 PM

...or Shirley Ellis, the originator of the song.

masterblaster
09-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Of course, there was an earlier studio version by DRATS which appeared on the 2002 Anthology cd. One of the few produced by Norman Whitfield with the group.

vgalindo
09-04-2017, 06:42 PM
I also don't care for this song by Diana Ross. Love Gladys Knight but I don't think she would sound good on Baby Love either because she ain't no Diana Ross!!

TomatoTom123
09-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Of course, there was an earlier studio version by DRATS which appeared on the 2002 Anthology cd. One of the few produced by Norman Whitfield with the group.

Oh damn, how did I miss that... thanks masterblaster... let me find it right now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c58bnJ0RHcg&app=desktop

I love it but I'm so used to hearing the Gladys Knight & The Pips version!!! :)

marv2
09-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Here is the original by Shirley Ellis that I like a lot too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsscxVgA4A

PeaceNHarmony
09-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Now of course some of us more learned posters know that Gladys' version of the song was actually itself a cover of Shirley Ellis' original hit. But that does not fit into the narrative that so frequently follows Diana Ross posts here, does it? :rolleyes:

blackguy69
09-04-2017, 10:45 PM
It does fit because you are going to compare the original to the remakes

captainjames
09-05-2017, 12:20 AM
Love all versions of this song but of course Ms. Ellis wins my heart.

Bluebrock
09-05-2017, 02:21 AM
I also don't care for this song by Diana Ross. Love Gladys Knight but I don't think she would sound good on Baby Love either because she ain't no Diana Ross!!
Totally agree. I don't care much for this but equally i don't think i would especially enjoy Shirley or Gladys doing Stop in the name of love. Interesting take on the song but not really for me.

Ozmo
09-05-2017, 03:59 AM
This song is not a good fit for Diana Ross. It was an odd choice for her to perform live. I wonder if she was considering recording a solo version and was testing it for audience reaction?

Whatever the reason, it was right decision to leave this in the can.

DJMoch
09-05-2017, 11:04 AM
I have to say I do quite like both Motown versions of "Nitty Gritty". But I slightly prefer the Supremes' version more mainly due to that being the first version I heard, and latching onto it right away. It took a few years after to hear Gladys' version. I particularly love it when two different artists use nearly the same backing track, so even though the vocalists differ, it still feels comfortingly familiar. :)

I've also never heard Shirley's original of the song, so thanks for sharing that Youtube link, Marv.

thommg
09-05-2017, 11:37 AM
I think Diana's version in concert is perfectly fine. It's a nice bit of uptempo for a spot that needs to pick up the crowd.

I also had never heard Shirley Ellis' original version - my first being Gladys Knight & The Pips. Hers seems a bit more pop sounding that GK&TP's. It is interesting that song seems like an intro with a bunch of repeating choruses. After the first verse it is just a lot of repeating "Nitty Gritty's". Not the most interesting song to begin with, though fun to dance to.

TheMotownManiac
09-05-2017, 01:01 PM
I never cared for the original. To me, Gladys OWNS this song. I'm ok with the DR&TS version but I do think that LIVE, Miss Ross' natural showmanship would have sold this easily. It's silly to compare an R&B record with a Vegas Show Arrangement, as the latter is not intended for aural judgement alone, but, it's kind of hard not to when one is among Gladys' top 5 records in my house.

marv2
09-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Here the song is used in a sixties television dance number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2v8IgJdsm4

jobucats
09-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Marv, I've always enjoyed that 60's tv dance clip with Shirley Ellis singing "The Nitty Gritty." That over the top [[I say that with no disrespect at all) male dancer is so enjoyable to watch. From research, I understand that he was [[is) a professional dancer. If only I had that energy!!!

marv2
09-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Marv, I've always enjoyed that 60's tv dance clip with Shirley Ellis singing "The Nitty Gritty." That over the top [[I say that with no disrespect at all) male dancer is so enjoyable to watch. From research, I understand that he was [[is) a professional dancer. If only I had that energy!!!

Jobucats, the great thing is he is still alive! LOL! There is an interview with him on Youtube I saw.

luke
09-05-2017, 04:07 PM
I don't wanna hear Englebert Humperdinck singing James Brown's I Got you...no disrespect to Diana

marv2
09-05-2017, 04:49 PM
I don't wanna hear Englebert Humperdinck singing James Brown's I Got you...no disrespect to Diana

What are you trying to say? Englebert doesn't have any Soul? LOL!!!